Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vs code deserves some praise for drinking sublimetext's milkshake and doing it for free, but lol it's a text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on very fast hardware

I've been fooling around with an 8MB Mac IIfx running System 6 and it's once again amazing to be reminded just what could be done on a system leaner than those that are in the average remote control these days

the OS fit on 2-4 high density floppies, depending on whether you count the Network Software Installer (to install the Ethernet card driver) and MacTCP (for modern connectivity)

Macintosh Common Lisp was another 2-3 floppies, depending if I wanted sources for most of it, and includes a fully programmable Zmacs-like editor that responds instantly when run on a 40 MHz 68030, and isn't unusably slow on an 8 MHz 68000

what I'm trying to say is that running everything atop web technologies is insanely bad because it leads to software that's worse than what we had nearly 30 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs is the true path and all other editors are but stones underfoot on the way to emacs

Zmacs is the true path, GNU emacs is just a pale imitation

eschaton fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 23, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

agreeing with this

sublime is the next best substitute but i miss bbedit

BBEdit doesn't suck, it's a good editor

why would you miss it though, it still exists and was just updated, and old versions still work great on old operating systems too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

ahem gnu emacs

there are better emacs

most were written by or with the people who created emacs rather than the maintenance programmer they hired when they had other poo poo to do

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AppKit and UIKit are sufficiently similar that you can very easily develop native applications that run on the only desktop and mobile platforms that matter

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

msbuild is dogshit so I guess yeah you might have to use it for build scripts, but that’s on the build server, not on your dev machine .

why would you use two different project formats for desktop builds versus server/CI builds?

that's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

only eight on a IIfx????? max that Blackbird out my man

find me eight 16MB IIfx SIMMs for a reasonable price and I will

(also two 4MB SIMMs for the Display Card 8•24 GC that's in it)

• Locked thread