Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

yeah, and npm promptly adopted those features. so there's no reason to use yarn now.

probably in the most idiotic way possible, so there may well be a reason to use yarn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

I'd be interested to know why. It's easier for me to tell my team "upgrade to npm 5" than it is to "install this new thing".

i don't use terrible build systems like npm so i've never needed to use yarn, but i'm p sure npm hosed up whatever yarn was doing more than yarn did

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

every npm and node user ever posted:

Joe is a Pythonista from Leicester, England, although these days he is mainly found making C++ and JS do strange things. In his spare time he plays the ukulele, and occasionally manages the crossword.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

ah, so you're just talking out of your rear end. got it.

why would i talk out of anything else when it comes to the js ecosystem?

you expect me to subject myself to this bullshit?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

trying to delete poo poo in git is super hard. beyond forcing the changes upstream and poo poo.

i wanted to delete one version of a file from history cause oops i'm an idiot and it had a password in it. I had a commit with a good version of the file in history, and i'd have preferred the git repo pretended the file was created from that point on and forget my idiocy. but I couldn't find a way to do it without nuking every instance of that file from history. and the command for that is stupidly complex.

code:
git filter-branch --tag-name-filter cat --index-filter 'git rm -r --cached --ignore-unmatch delete_this_stupid_file.txt' --prune-empty -f -- --all

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

just change your password lol

and use git commit -v / git add -p to prevent needing to do this in the first place

alternatively: set all your passwords to hunter2 so that people think it's a joke when you commit them

i'd love to, but the system i'm working on replacing is so creaky and fragile that if i changed a password, everything would break and everyone would binch me out

i mean it's not like this password has almost certainly been lost already since our stuff was using plain http and was sending an application this password outside of the system weakly encrypted (and still is)

i'm setting up a new system where backend service passwords don't have to leave our backend for our apps to do work, and the engineer who's been here longer than me is very upset that I'm asking him to update his old, poorly written processing lang apps.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh hell yes

and it's java too!

:peanut:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Bloody posted:

actually its scala

even better! love me some scala

lancemantis posted:

ive mostly only used it to purge stuff that should have been in git-lfs from repos

sounds like it handles my problem case really well so i'm definitely gonna keep it around. never want to manually deal with file deletion in git again :negative:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 21, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are there though? ones that work on windows and mac and nerd linux and anroid linux and also/especially ios? with consistency across platforms that beats the web garbage? please please do tell

javafx works on win/mac/linux well, and may work someday on anroid and ios

edit: apparently javafx does work on android and ios? at the very least gluonvm should work

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 21, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

an interactive shell based on electron:

https://github.com/railsware/upterm

uh, isn't a terminal emulator that can only run one shell p lovely? even xterm can run fish

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

rotor posted:

git: not as bad as awk

atomicthumbs posted:

that's what she sed

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Bloody posted:

web blows rear end and I hope to never use anything involving Java script ever again

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

never thought i'd agree with node developers....

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://medium.com/@bgourlie/nodejs-leadership-is-a-toxic-mess-34e2b8faa003

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I've been doing more webdev recently and started using svg

today I looked svg up on caniuse and apparently edge and ie are the only mainstream browsers that don't support it
apparently this is "by design"

:laffo:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

apparently atom is capable of remote code execution just by viewing a malicious plugin's readme in its community packages site:

https://statuscode.ch/2017/11/from-markdown-to-rce-in-atom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

Atom is garbage. Use Visual Studio code instead, it's written by professionals.

imo, a non webbrowser based ide would be even less vulnerable to xss attacks

especially when parsing documentation :laffo:

• Locked thread