Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

frontend tech is hot garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i saw a presentation about electron the other day

idgi, i thought everything was supposed to be web apps now, who deploys poo poo anymore?

edit: i mean apart from peopel with real serious jobs in which case why are you using mobile platforms jfc

bad ideas all the way down

someone decided "okay, doing this on the web just doesn't work", but instead of just throwing out all the javascript hackery and writing a real program, they figured they could drop a web server on the client machine and point their web app to that instead

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
every few months I answer the following questions in sequence

"can this thing be done by the browser as part of a web app?"

"what, not even with html5????? are you sure?"

"as you know, we're deprecating our normal locally-installed software in favor of a web app, and management would really like the web app to be able to do that thing. are you absolutely positive it's impossible? why don't you research it for a while?"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

what is the loving problem that awful spergs have with UAC anyway

apparently this is why

quote:

paulcbetts 
commented almost 2 years ago

The experience of installing Windows software by convention, is awful. Updates are awful, the install experience is awful. Nobody writes desktop software on Windows, because it's awful. Why would we follow that convention?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
fun fact I found

by pressing Ctrl+shift+i, you can pull up the Chrome devtools in any electron app unless it specifically includes code to block that

it works in Discotd

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

thanks for getting my hopes up only to dash them in a sea of despair :thumbsup:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

I've been doing more webdev recently and started using svg

today I looked svg up on caniuse and apparently edge and ie are the only mainstream browsers that don't support it
apparently this is "by design"

:laffo:

if you're talking about svg animation, otherwise known as SMIL, it's in limbo right now

chrome and opera deprecated it a couple years ago with intent to remove it, but chrome quietly suspended that deprecation last year, so who the gently caress knows what its future is. odds are it's not bright, tho

use regular css animation instead, or move poo poo around with Javascript

the chrome developers suggest using the web animations api instead, but its browser support is even worse than SMIL right now

welcome to the wonderful world of webdev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

no this is literally css transforms on svg which every single other modern browser supports but apparently rotating a vector object 90 degrees is beyond the capabilities of the world's largest software company

oh

that happens a lot with edge

their attempt to blame everything wrong with IE on ~legacy code~ and start over with a clean slate isn't working very well, is it

• Locked thread