Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it's chrome for your app

atom? more like egacs: eight gigabytes and constantly swapping :xd: :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

is it possible to do electron well? like, is the system inherently flawed, or is it just that a bunch of lovely js developers are writing lovely js apps and so electron seems bad?

every single electron app has its own complete duplicate of Chromium, so no

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i was not commenting on nodejs specifically

i just meant that js is resistant to static analysis. doing anything useful with intellisense is gonna require a javascript runtime to eval poo poo and inspect the results.

for java ides you can use the js runtime built into standard java implementations

in vs.net, welp, kinda stuck with an external tool

IDE breakout exploit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. you don't need to know any lisp to use emacs

2. even with the dead gay lisp, emacs is still better than any other editor. what would you rather use? javascript?

eight megabytes and constantly swapping :xd:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

lancemantis posted:

git uis are only useful for viewing the hellish commit graph you have cursed everyone with

this was a project from this summer. i stopped fooling with it for a while and forgot what i was doing and how i made it work

those aren't my branches and i don't know how to program anything or properly use git but i mashed together everyone else's forks of the project with cool features and it worked somehow

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what the gently caress is a HEAD

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

doesn't that mean letting basically any other software on the computer gently caress with your atom install without permission

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

just a mite conceited to automatically assume your program can throw its weight around in the same manner as the most popular third party download on the platform

that being said since they're pretty much shipping a browser runtime they probably need to fastidiously keep it updated lest your identity get stolen by a fleece-wearing russian sex offender

https://github.com/pfrazee/electron-browser

https://github.com/beakerbrowser/beaker

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

because programmers have developed a pathological obsession with filling all available hardware with new and bigger and slower layers of abstraction

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are there though? ones that work on windows and mac and nerd linux and anroid linux and also/especially ios? with consistency across platforms that beats the web garbage? please please do tell

electron is a way to employ one web frontend developer to make a shoddy cross-platform app instead of employing several experienced application programmers to make real, functional apps

electron is anti-labor

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ok cool, go ahead and hire 5 anroid devs and 5 ios devs and 10 desktop browser devs, and pay out 5 million a year in salary, instead of having a single team of 5 build out the frontend for all platforms. let me know how hard your vp laughs in your face

in my world, it will be illegal not to

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

rotor posted:

git: not as bad as awk

that's what she sed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

I've been fooling around with an 8MB Mac IIfx running System 6 and it's once again amazing to be reminded just what could be done on a system leaner than those that are in the average remote control these days

the OS fit on 2-4 high density floppies, depending on whether you count the Network Software Installer (to install the Ethernet card driver) and MacTCP (for modern connectivity)

Macintosh Common Lisp was another 2-3 floppies, depending if I wanted sources for most of it, and includes a fully programmable Zmacs-like editor that responds instantly when run on a 40 MHz 68030, and isn't unusably slow on an 8 MHz 68000

what I'm trying to say is that running everything atop web technologies is insanely bad because it leads to software that's worse than what we had nearly 30 years ago

only eight on a IIfx????? max that Blackbird out my man

• Locked thread