Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

it's wild how loving terrible text editors still are. computers loving suck rear end what a mistake

agreed

i don't really know what this thread is about but i saw a reference to Atom in it and holy poo poo, guys, way to make a plain-text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on a 4GHz computer with 32GB of RAM, and actually visibly lags

also, in windows Atom installs itself to some bizarre path of its own inside a hidden folder in your user directory, and does not let you change the install location. this is the devs' response to people asking "why?":
https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/7095

quote:

decaylong commented on Jun 3, 2015
Why the default install location is "C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\atom" , that's sh
!t. Hope that can choosing by users.

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Jun 4, 2015
Three are two possible locations that Squirrel will install to:

%LocalAppData%\Atom - the default
C:\ProgramData\Atom\USERNAME - the install location that is set when the first location cannot be written to / executed from, because of Group Policy
AtomSetup.exe --machine will just end up installing to one of these two places, but for all users (i.e. upon a new user logging in, we will proceed to install to that location)

quote:

Hope that can choosing by users.
Squirrel will never offer this choice, sorry!

quote:

hichris1234 commented on Jun 26, 2015
This is horrible. I have an SSD as my main drive and I typically want things on my regular HDD. How can I not choose where to install a program?

I'd even help contribute to change this.

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Jun 26, 2015
@hichris1234 Once the app is installed, you can move %LocalAppData%\Atom to wherever you want, then use mklink /D %LocalAppData%\Atom D:\Path\To\Where\You\Put\Atom and everything will work, even updates.

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Jun 27, 2015

quote:

But I shouldn't need to. Look at any program on Windows. Try to install it. In the installer, 99% of the time there's an option for "where do you want to install this program?" (I can think of only a few exceptions, such as Chrome). However, for Atom, there isn't.
Don't care what 20 years of bad software has done in the past! Users shouldn't be asked arbitrary dumb questions like this, they double-click Setup and their program runs. That's it. Squirrel will never, ever, ever, ever, ever change this.

and it goes on and on and on, until finally the true reason comes out:

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Aug 17, 2015

quote:

It seems this decision is based on trying to apply a principle from the Mac/Linux world to the Windows world
Nope! This decision is made so that updates can happen in the background without UAC prompts. If you want to read more about the reasons behind how the installer works, check here:

https://github.com/squirrel/squirrel.windows#what-do-we-want

:thumbsup:

what is the loving problem that awful spergs have with UAC anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

bbedit is still the best text editor

agreeing with this

sublime is the next best substitute but i miss bbedit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well they need to dig their heads out of their asses on that one because a popup saying "something is trying to install software on your machine" is always cool and good -- especially if that something is a piece of open sores garbage that the github devs swear is totally perfect and safe and bug-free

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mac only

bbedit and spring-loaded folders are about the only things i really miss from the mac os, but they are big ones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Atom e gunoi

• Locked thread