Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
electron is nothing new, we did this with tomcat + jvm + stripped browsers back in the late 90s. It sucked then and it sucks now and the only reason to do it is if you absolutely, positively must have a web AND a desktop app and you need to do the desktop one as cheaply as humanly possible. Otherwise there's lots of cross-platform ui toolkits that aren't loving javascript+dom.

in conclusion, git sucks, use svn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are there though? ones that work on windows and mac and nerd linux and anroid linux and also/especially ios? with consistency across platforms that beats the web garbage? please please do tell

again:

rotor posted:

the only reason to do it is if you absolutely, positively must have a web AND a desktop app and you need to do the desktop one as cheaply as humanly possible.

feel free to wedge 'mobile" in there wherever you see fit.

And I don't care about consistency. And if web apps have shown us anything at all, it's that customers don't either. They just want a nice UI that performs well and doesn't crap its pants all the time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

literally every webapp in existence has it's own OK button and the combo boxes all act differently and there's zero people who give a poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ok cool, go ahead and hire 5 anroid devs and 5 ios devs and 10 desktop browser devs, and pay out 5 million a year in salary, instead of having a single team of 5 build out the frontend for all platforms. let me know how hard your vp laughs in your face

you need two ui codebases, one in some desktop crossplatform language like wx, swing or qt, and one in one of the mobile ones, like cordova or whatever the other one is I can't remember.

or, like I say, make a lovely loving app on the desktop and a bullshit webview client on mobile (which you'll likely shovel through cordova anyway because if you're at this stage why the gently caress not).

The choices are, obviously, always about money. But don't give me this "hire 20 devs" bullshit because lmao.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

man I'm just saying the apps will be lovely, I'm not saying it's a bad business decision, that's not my fuckin department

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lancemantis posted:

honestly most git syntax isn't really that awful compared to the abhorrent amalgamations of gawk, sed, grep, and others that I use to mangle data on a regular basis

git: not as bad as awk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean yeah that's true. sure. agreed.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

web technologies is insanely bad

agreed, idiot hell fucker

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

doesn't React Native theoretically somewhat solve this problem (that of hiring only web developers)

kinda not really sorta (which is why as far as I can tell react is the only js toolkit anyone is using anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean it's not like you just run your react website through a react native compiler and get an app out the other side but yeah

• Locked thread