Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rushi

by Smythe

FluffieDuckie posted:

I had my own music i could play all by myself. i remember one of the records had "yellow submarine" on it

I had/seen random casettle toys but I never thought about record toys O:

whizzerss look like they'd fr*ck*n' WRECK any beyblade

Lizard Wizard posted:

Action figure with several buttons on the back that make public domain sound effects

haha i remember stuff like that at 90s swapmeets.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler

and

Peanut Butler

FluffieDuckie posted:

I had my own music i could play all by myself. i remember one of the records had "yellow submarine" on it

this was a fisher price little people garage. it coolest thing was you put the cars in the elevator and then turned the crank and they made it to the top of the parking garage and then they slid down the ramp so you could do it again

aw yeah I had these as a lil kid
ding!

Scaly Haylie

brother, how could you forget

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I wasn't allowed to watch a fair number of things when I was a kid and as I got older I usually figured out the reasons although typically I didn't agree. The Simpsons because my father felt it undermined his authority, Ren & Stimpy because... it was just bad, and South Park because it was obviously too raunchy for a child.

TMNT I could never figure out though...

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

DragQueenofAngmar

You shall not pass!
when i was like maybe 6 i had a yakbak. y'all remember those? u could record stuff and I think speed it up and flip it backwards, like for twin peaks sort of talking

anyway i spent like a lot of time trying to figure out how slow to talk to get my voice when sped up to say the line from who framed roger rabbit where judge doom is revealed as the cartoon villain of the film. remember me eddie? haha

it was pretty tough honestly, u had to talk really slow and then speed up to get the pitch to rise like in the movie, but it still had to be slow to be understood u know? eventually i got it but my mom was not very impressed :(

i also had a whole bunch of legos

FluffieDuckie

Peanut Butler posted:

aw yeah I had these as a lil kid
ding!

hf oldtimer

i think mom knew i was alive because she heard that ding over and over and over

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo

This was my jam back in the day. The knight with the beard was my favorite, I think he had a button-action head that made him swing whatever was in his hand. There was a trapdoor, but most of the k nights got stuck in it rather than falling through it...

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

Starman Super DX

in the vein of games with incredibly complicated rules and impossible to set up

also that Harry Potter Quiditch game.

and a Gargoyles VHS board game.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 18, 2017

Tell me more!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

UWBW posted:

The knight with the beard was my favorite, I think he had a button-action head that made him swing whatever was in his hand.

He did

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Lizard Wizard posted:

WHIZZER. I fondly remember having to rub the spinny bottom tip on a table or whatever multiple times to make it go, and boy did it go

I forgot about these! They were great to battle against each other if you knew someone else with one.

Remeber these guys?

Or GREEN ARMY MEN:

Remember the Dark Tower electronic board game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKOOkqDzVxM

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Twenty Four

Splatmaster posted:

INTELLIVISION!!

I played the Dungeons & Dragons game and figured out that if you fire an arrow just right it would bounce all the way from the entrance to where the dragon is because arrows richochet like crazy in that game

We figured out that either controller could work with that game, or both at the same time, which enabled "multiplayer". One person got to move, and another got to shoot the arrows. Eventually people would disagree on which way to go and start fighting over the controlls, trying to go two ways at once and end up getting killed.

And Burger Time.

Splatmaster posted:

Remeber these guys?

Or GREEN ARMY MEN:

The parachute guys: wrap wrap wrap, throw as high as you can, fall (parachute may or may not open), repeat.

Broken Box

Rushi I had those same 3 favorite Lego sets and literally all the same kinds of toys except I had some different Max sets. nostalgia bullseye. the xmen mini sets like Max were real neat too

I also liked the Batman action figures with a million different kinds of batsuits, and EXOSQUAD mechs were super cool

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Now look everyone. THIS was the sweet record player of choice.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
Turtles party wagon

There was a little rubber band that would provide tension so the chair arm would swing out fast when you hit the release.

Also this rad Micro Machines submarine that would fold out into a playset

My kids have really cool toys and I'm a little bit jealous of them. Their Star Wars dudes and vehicles are vastly more detailed than the action figures of my youth, and I grew up in a sort of Star Wars merchandise dark age in the late 80's/early 90's where the movie hype had died down long ago and the Special Edition reissues of 1997 were still years away.
It's hard to believe that there were a lot of kids in my class in elementary school who had never seen a Star Wars movie or even heard of it.

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Hot wheels and a length of vacuum cleaner hose.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I didn't have this but I wanted it so bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QedtWlEPoyM

cda

by Hand Knit

Fangrim posted:

Gakken EX Kit.

Woah what the hell is this, it looks amazing

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

I didn't have this but I wanted it so bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QedtWlEPoyM

I did not know about that one as a kid, but retroactively I want it too!

my brother and I really liked our weebles treasure island set

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

cda posted:

Woah what the hell is this, it looks amazing

Radio Shack has had a few electronics kits through the years, with the "X in One" line of kits, eg: 30 in One and 100 in One theme where one kit has the ability to create up to 100 individual electronic circuits, teaching circuit theory, even digital theory using IC chips, here's one I had:

That concept utilized idividualized electronic components such as transistors, capacitors and resistors that had metal springs that you bent back, allowing you to stick a wire into it- and connecting that particular electronic component to others, making a circuit that did neat things like flash leds, make sounds, even a photcell to duplicate light sensing experiments.

This kit

went a step above, and was way out of my family's budget so I drooled over kits like this.

Rather than having to take the time to map out an electronic circuit beforehand, allocate all of your specific color (and therefore length) of wire and all that, one simply had to plop down an electronic component block into the plastic tray, and viola! you had your completed circuit.

In the end, I'm glad I went the hard route because it taught me how to read schematics and circuit theory as a kid, so tech school later on in life was a breeze and I loved troubleshooting fire alarm and security alarms when I did that as a career.

Randaconda

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Catchin up with this thread: The Lego castle set, Weapons & Warriors, Nerf Bow & Arrow, Fisher Price Little People Garage, and a poo poo ton of Playmobil are all for the epic win

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
S/O to Construx. My buddy Sean and I would take a whole bunch of these and build swords and shields from them and then attack each other. The trick was to make your stuff durable so when it got hit it didn't break into a dozen pieces and fly off and kill anyone. I don't know why we didn't end up with worse injuries.

----------------

Starman Super DX

cda posted:

S/O to Construx. My buddy Sean and I would take a whole bunch of these and build swords and shields from them and then attack each other. The trick was to make your stuff durable so when it got hit it didn't break into a dozen pieces and fly off and kill anyone. I don't know why we didn't end up with worse injuries.

my friends and I would spend twenty minutes building weapons, "throwing knives", "swords", etc. out of k'nex before splitting into teams onto either side of the room, turning off the lights, and then pelting the poo poo out of each other with them. we'd turn tables over and hide behind them as cover. it was awesome.

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit
A couple of favorite board games:

Fireball Island -- this game was gimmicky as hell but I loved it

Labyrinth -- this game is really cool cuz you keep moving the maze around to gently caress with each other. I just found out you can play it online.

----------------

Starman Super DX

cda posted:

Fireball Island

:stare: this looks amazing and I'm surprised I didn't have it. I had all of those awesome gimmick board games. Loopin' Louie, Yahoo Buckaroo, Peanut Panic.

my grandparents had a lot of awesome old board games too. the odds on favorite (although not a board game per se) was probably Mille Bornes- an old French card game where the object is to reach 1000 Miles in your car (hence the name) but you could screw over other people by giving them flat tires, out of gas, speed limits, and so on.

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit
Mille Bornes was really fun. I used to play that all the time. Taught me French, too. Panne D'Essence.

----------------

Manifisto

cda posted:

Mille Bornes was really fun. I used to play that all the time. Taught me French, too. Panne D'Essence.

COUP FOURRÉ MOTHERFUCKER

Rushi

by Smythe
oooh my gosh i've forgotten about so many of these :,) I'm so glad everyone shared

I had this and a car, (and that Turtles van!) and would play with my ninja turtles in the crash dummy stuff a lot.

I'm kinda curious why those record toys went away/how long they could be on plastic or whatever.

----------------

FluffieDuckie

Splatmaster posted:

Radio Shack has had a few electronics kits through the years, with the "X in One" line of kits, eg: 30 in One and 100 in One theme where one kit has the ability to create up to 100 individual electronic circuits, teaching circuit theory, even digital theory using IC chips, here's one I had:

That concept utilized idividualized electronic components such as transistors, capacitors and resistors that had metal springs that you bent back, allowing you to stick a wire into it- and connecting that particular electronic component to others, making a circuit that did neat things like flash leds, make sounds, even a photcell to duplicate light sensing experiments.

omg i'd forgotten about this. i had this exact kit and played with it for hours.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

FluffieDuckie posted:

omg i'd forgotten about this. i had this exact kit and played with it for hours.

:hfive:

I just remembered a couple of games I played a lot of as a kid, does anyone remember Gnip Gnop?

"While you're Ga-nipping, your opponent is Gi-nopping! gnip Gnop!"

and I remembered another one I had called "Blip", it was a handheld game that had an LED dot that bounced back and forth, BUT...

it was a mechanical contraption that had an LED mounted to a bracket and it physically travelled back and forth, versus the more updated versions that had an electronic panel filled with LEDs

like this one:

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Bo-Pepper posted:

Now look everyone. THIS was the sweet record player of choice.

pictured: bo peppers childhood toy record player

Twenty Four

Splatmaster posted:

:hfive:

I just remembered a couple of games I played a lot of as a kid, does anyone remember Gnip Gnop?

"While you're Ga-nipping, your opponent is Gi-nopping! gnip Gnop!"

and I remembered another one I had called "Blip", it was a handheld game that had an LED dot that bounced back and forth, BUT...

it was a mechanical contraption that had an LED mounted to a bracket and it physically travelled back and forth, versus the more updated versions that had an electronic panel filled with LEDs

like this one:

Hah I played that football game or at least one much like it, my dad had one, I remember the passing plays never worked, like ever, but if you did a running play and just went to the top or bottom and mashed to keep going one way you could keep going basically forever. Which was wierd because you never got a touch down, or infinite ones I guess, as it just put you on the other side of the screen and you kept going down the field again and again. Also punting which did basically... nothing? Maybe his was broke?

Anyhow, I can't seem to figure out what is going on in that blip game, but for some reason I really like watching the gif. I think it is the combo of mechanical and digital. Are you supposed to just hit the number button you think it is going to?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Twenty Four posted:

Anyhow, I can't seem to figure out what is going on in that blip game, but for some reason I really like watching the gif. I think it is the combo of mechanical and digital. Are you supposed to just hit the number button you think it is going to?

Correct. If you hit the number that the blip is headed toward at the right time it sent the blip back to your opponent, and so on.

Is this the football game you remember?

I just remembered another one! Zap!

Another led game that had players hitting the button at the right time to send the blip back to your opponent.

Starman Super DX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Man 90's toy commercials were awesome

Tell me more!

Manifisto

there is one I haven't pinned down yet on the internet. it was a shooting game, and it worked by projecting images of planes, I think red-baron style biplanes?, onto whatever surface you pointed the thing at. there was a gun you could aim and shoot at the images, the shots being represented by holes punched directly into the film. which meant that if you wanted to keep playing the thing you had to buy rolls and rolls of extra film, which of course never happened, so we'd just keep running the same film through the projector and filling it with more and more holes.

it was not very challenging nor very entertaining but it was something to do I guess.

I credit the creators more for their evil marketing ingenuity in coming up with a game with expensive consumables.

ty nesamdoom!

kuskus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SDZgyncxPI
Bless my dad for driving me around to every Hardee's to try and get every dang color of Ghostbusters II noisemakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h11Kh0oxOdo

Twenty Four

Splatmaster posted:

Correct. If you hit the number that the blip is headed toward at the right time it sent the blip back to your opponent, and so on.

Is this the football game you remember?

Yes! That is exactly the one! It might even be in a closet around here somewhere, not sure.

Starman Super DX posted:

(Crossfire)
Man 90's toy commercials were awesome

I remember this one, it was pretty fun rapid fire spamming a bunch of little metal balls at a target and scrambling to reload!

Peanut Butler

Lizard Wizard posted:

brother, how could you forget

a wee bump because I still dream about this thing as a real place sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasterson

by Nyc_Tattoo

These things are dope, they're like kinect but they have like a degree of movement so you can build like cool superheroes with prehensile dicks or whatever

only downside is that unlike lego they'll eventually just break but I remember this box sitting around for at least a few years

----------------

• Locked thread