Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Seriously though check that your clutch arm is seated correctly. They can be a pain sometimes.

Kaptainballistik posted:

Seriously? Remove the motor?

BOX out is an hour job if you pull the shafts first! And that's crusing! (It's a 1/2 hour job pull/ replace with 3 service crew...)

But I pride myself on the 7 minuite driveshaft swap...

I don't think he has the super special roll pin punch you need for the front driveshafts. Also gently caress those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Adiabatic posted:

Seriously though check that your clutch arm is seated correctly. They can be a pain sometimes.

I don't think he has the super special roll pin punch you need for the front driveshafts. Also gently caress those things.

Isn't that just a normal pin punch? I guess any tool is super special if you don't have it

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
It's some weird size and if you don't have the exact size you'll gently caress it up

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't remember having issues with that doing axles on my Saabaru, but maybe they were later ones without roll pins? (I seem to remember there was some breakpoint change in them.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

I don't remember having issues with that doing axles on my Saabaru, but maybe they were later ones without roll pins? (I seem to remember there was some breakpoint change in them.)

Seems to happen like late-ish MY04 and the part numbers agree.

My 06 WRX and 05 Saabaru do not have pinned axles, but my 03 2.5TS and 97 OBS did. I've seen an early-04 STI with pinned axles as well.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm not planning on removing the axles from the transmission anyway, just from the hubs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

I'm not planning on removing the axles from the transmission anyway, just from the hubs.

Use new axle nuts.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Had an hour after dinner, got all the transmission to engine bolts out, battery disconnected, etc. Going to see if I can drop the transmission tomorrow.

Drivers outer CV boot is hosed, so I get to replace it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

It's some weird size and if you don't have the exact size you'll gently caress it up

A 4mm smallish size Phillips head screwdriver in fact is perfect to knock out the pin as it juuuuuuust fits in the driveshaft pin hole... and also wont gently caress the pin.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The proper tool costs 20bux and makes the job a breeze.

I once, with my boss, spent 4 hours cussing, drilling, hammering, and cussing some more because he tried to use a standard punch on the roll pins and hosed them to hell (on his mother's 1st gen Legacy). Worth it to me to never, ever have to repeat that process on my own time.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The axel nuts weren't properly punched in. :suspense:

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 28, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are the old ones hosed?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
No. Aside from the various amounts rust that permeates this car, they seem fine.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hahaha the throwout bearing, slave cylinder or clutch fork decided to take a massive poo poo once I got to Costco. I took a flatbed home.

:shepicide:

On the upshot the engine ran great since I cleaned the contacts for the harness and then the speed sensor wiring.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 10, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The slave needed to bleed. Thanks to Toplitizin for being a heavy foot.

I still feel like poo poo or I'd do some welding and change the CV.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Clutch slowly lost pressure again, I ordered a new slave and clutch line, $35 shipped, thx rockauto.

I banged out the gorester front axle and put a new one in at very casual ~25 minutes while I was videoing in it because all the youtube vids are "oh god the poor brake lines oh you should separate the ball joint from the knuckle bla bla bla" and I wanted to make a video where "fuckers it's not that difficult just turn the drat wheel all the way left and pop the end out with a socket extension, don't be a drat ogre to the brake line but they're tougher than you think"

Of course I'm blocking the shot like... 40% of the video and my wife is unwilling to share my pasty white rear end-crack with the world. I'll see if I can find a video editor that's tolerable and crop it.

Also I put the case on the camera and derp, you can't hear poo poo so I need to record a voiceover for it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I went to the junkyard today and it was a good day indeed.

I mostly went to get the proper water pump bolts for the 4.6, because idkwtf size they're supposed to be and none of the manuals I have wants to share bolt dimensions and I sure as poo poo did not keep track like I should have when I took it apart because my buddy who helped me take it apart bashed on 4.6s was all "don't worry about it" but I should have.

Oh well, I have learned many lessons over the last 5 years regarding my relative automotive stupidity and largely am getting better and more organized.

I got the water pump bolts and installed them, so hooray!

I also got these Sexy Struts to Lower Big Wagon Butts:

'13 Legacy has been sitting in the junkyard for about a month and change but since they're not in high demand here no one had grabbed the struts. I would have grabbed the wheels and tires last month but I put new shoes on the Outback in December and have the stock 17" wheels sitting in the attic.

edit:
fuckballs. I need to go back and get the rear upper control arms. Oh well.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 21, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Are you gonna remove those body lift blocks the Forester comes with?

Also, can confirm 100% that Subaru engines are easy to remove and transmissions are a oval office (even on a lift).

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
So, I will fill in with pictures at some point later but right now I am feeling incredibly lazy on that front and just want to keep some posts flowing.

I've mostly been working on the 240SX's floor. I ran out of the decent fluxcore wire my Lincoln welder comes with so I purchased a bottle of 75% Argon/25% CO2. I made an extra large hole in the floor to remove the exhaust hump and I've mostly filled the bottom back in. I made a CAD template to match the side tonight, and I'll bust out the grinder and cut metal to shape tomorrow, but right now my wife is trying to put our 3 month old to sleep and it's not going great.

She said she can hear the grinder so that's out for the night. Times like these I wish I had a detached garage, but it's also 44F/7C out right now and rainy. It's clear life is series of compromises.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 9, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, it's been a bit.

I'll image dump. I'm making progress on the 240's floor. I built an exhaust for the Gorester which leaks behind the downpipe but whatever, I'll fix it later since the car isn't constantly trying to make me deaf. I also called out of work today because it's been two nights in a row with garbage sleep, so I hit the junkyard, got serpentine belt tensioner bolts and sadly discovered the '12 Legacy and it's rear control arms were gone. I attempted to measure for a belt and failed. I'll try again later in the week.

I'm starting to get a feel for the welder again which is good. More beads and less blobs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Tell me you switched footwear before welding!

Otherwise an awesome thread and always fun to see your updates

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

slothrop posted:

Tell me you switched footwear before welding!

Otherwise an awesome thread and always fun to see your updates

Yes, I did. I was just able to sneak away for a bit to do the template. Also thank you :)

Wrar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 22, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I haven't done much but I do need to take some pictures. However, I did go to VIR and run the big girl around the track at a moderate pace. I am looking forward to going back to smaller tires so I can run the Legacy shocks and struts I have. The 20mm wider tires mean I would dead stop against the spring perches up front because it's both a shorter spring and strut body. Tons of room out back though.

The big girl hustles pretty good for something as tall and somewhat porky as it is at 3600lbs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

I haven't done much but I do need to take some pictures. However, I did go to VIR and run the big girl around the track at a moderate pace. I am looking forward to going back to smaller tires so I can run the Legacy shocks and struts I have. The 20mm wider tires mean I would dead stop against the spring perches up front because it's both a shorter spring and strut body. Tons of room out back though.

The big girl hustles pretty good for something as tall and somewhat porky as it is at 3600lbs.

Do you ever do FATT at SPR? VIR is runoff room++++, SPR has like, 5 feet in a couple of spots. I fondly remember watching Viper ACR racing there and turns 2, 4, 6!, and 8 ate a lot of cars. 6 has literally 5 feet of room, and it's the slowest turn on the track. 4 is tough because it's at the bottom of the chute and you have gravity assist.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I haven't been to Summit yet.

Actually, the only tracks I've driven are:
Moroso
Homestead
VIR

And only driven Homestead and Moroso at full pace. I am looking forward to a real track day schedule next year if things keep moving well on the 240SX.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Guys I(t) kind of suck(s). The baby hasn't slept well this week and of course the rest of us haven't either. Pretty sure the dogs don't care. The wife is trying to finish a course to get a transcription cert too so my wrenching time has been cut down because I'm not a (total) piece of poo poo so I watch the kid. Work wise last week was long hours.

There isn't too much I can do right now on the 240SX or Gorester that isn't loud. The Gorester needs exhaust work, and I have a flex pipe to fix what I think is expansion related issues, but I need to attack it with a grinder.

I should take half the things out of the garage and put them in more organized places. The only organizational front I do well with is tools, and that took a while to figure out my habits and what worked for me. Everything else is a mess.

The next tool I want is a band saw of some sort since I will be doing a full exhaust on the 240SX and I'd like the cuts to not be total garbage.

I don't need a bench vise since my awesome wife got me this for my birthday:

Yost!

It should stay put pretty well:

I made clamps to pull the existing sheet metal closer together and get some welds going.

The weather is pretty poo poo at the moment: cold and rainy. The good thing about welding is it will make ya warm. The bad thing is the offgassing is not good for you so running a welder in a non-vented garage is not advisable.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Busy weekends which means not much going on directly for the car. Wife finished half of her transcription cert class today so we can breathe easy for a bit. I did acquire a band saw and tonight I built a stand for it.

It's ugly but it seems to work. I will test it more extensively for a non-car project. Yes, the welds are ugly but the hinge wasn't exactly flat so I flowed the metal into the brake disk. It's intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Fixed the exhaust on the Gorester. I went for a 5 mile nearby test drive and the loving thing died 5 times.

Gonna order a wiring harness for the engine and go from there.

• Locked thread