Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The guide says the Forest Maze has the special mushrooms, but maybe the game is simple enough to overlook that and you totally should fill your inventory with store bought shrooms.

The Yari is a Japanese spear that was quite popular in wartime in the middle of the last millennium and very effective against cavalry. The long reach made it apparent how much better it was compared to swords as a main weapon and there are about two dozen variations. These spears were organized in lines and layered three deep and used as a wall of metal spikes when in place or for charging into large bodies of soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Scalding Coffee posted:

The guide says the Forest Maze has the special mushrooms, but maybe the game is simple enough to overlook that and you totally should fill your inventory with store bought shrooms.

The Yari is a Japanese spear that was quite popular in wartime in the middle of the last millennium and very effective against cavalry. The long reach made it apparent how much better it was compared to swords as a main weapon and there are about two dozen variations. These spears were organized in lines and layered three deep and used as a wall of metal spikes when in place or for charging into large bodies of soldiers.

Yeah, the guide is definitely wrong about the special mushrooms only being in the Forest Maze. I never knew that about the Yari, suddenly Yaridovich taking his head off and using it as a spear makes a lot more sense.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Eh, selling Pure Waters (the enemies that drop them have a ridiculously high drop rate) is still a much, much better way to make money than cycling through mushrooms.
Especially since you should be saving your Rock Candies rather than selling them. But yeah, it is the best way to stock up on Rock Candies and thus make Mallow fairly obsolete.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 29 - Shootin' Beetles

We show off the mushroom kid exploit in this episode and actually manage to find two Rock Candies! Even if you don't feel like staying topped off on Rock Candies for the entire game, stocking up on them this way before doing the optional boss and the final boss is highly recommended.

Point of clarification, Alex was correct in saying the Scrooge Ring is the one that halves FP usage (though whether or not it's the best accessory choice on Toadstool is debatable). Coin Trick is the item that doubles the coins you earn in battle and is pretty worthless, considering our best means of making money involve item drops or the Mushroom Shop.

Now that we have our coin purse nicely topped off, it's time to go blow half of our savings on video games! If you recall, last time we were in Mushroom Kingdom the kid in the corner of the inn offered to sell us his video game, but we didn't have the money to buy it. Now we do! Buying his game lets you play Beetle Mania from the menu whenever you want. I loved this mini game as a kid and spent way too much time playing it, especially considering you get absolutely nothing for breaking the high score.

With that out of the way, there's nothing left to do but head over to Land's End and start our trek to Monstro Town!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ceraph posted:

Side note, I can't tell you how sad I was that JoJo Jonathan went back into the ocean during the fight and didn't join my party the first time I played this game. I really wanted a shark pirate as a party member.

Same. That was such a wasted potential. Jonathan was there for short but he was a really cool character

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't Land's End a real place in England?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know, but it's my favorite sweater.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes. It's at the end of the long, thin bit that dangles into the Atlantic.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

AltaBrown posted:

Yes. It's at the end of the long, thin bit that dangles into the Atlantic.

That's pretty awesome, I had no idea it was a real place. I kinda want to go there now...

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 30 - Thornet

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, things in my personal life got super busy again. But I'm back, and it's time to continue our trek through Land's End! This is a pretty long area, and it's gonna take a while to make our way through the whole thing. There are a couple things of note here.

First up, we have a rather unique, if unimpressive enemy: the Geckit. Geckits are fun because they are perpetually confused and have a high chance to attack other enemies or even themselves. They have mediocre stats at best and feel like they're just kind of there as a joke.

The other interesting part is the Sky Bridge mini game. You have to hop across a few donut platforms without falling while Bullet Bills get launched at you from the other side. The catch is that once you reach the other side, you can attempt a double or nothing gambit. The game gets harder, but your reward is doubled. You can keep chaining these a good number of times (I'm not sure what, if any, cap is on it). The easiest difficulty is pretty easy, but it takes a while for it to really be worth it. The big draw here is that the hardest difficulty nets you a frog coin. If you're good (or have save states) you can double that quite a few times and farm frog coins very easily.

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 9, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For a Nintendo game, there is a lot of gambling games.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
um, it's pronounced "Thor-nay". It's French.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Someone translated a 1995 interview with a SMRPG dev to English recently. It's an interesting read
http://shmuplations.com/supermariorpg/

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 31 - Cricket Jam

If you remember waaaay back when we were in the Kero Sewers (like 25 episodes ago) there was a treasure chest up on a ledge we couldn't reach next to a pipe. We're finally going to get a payoff on that tease! If you jump in the cave under the Sky Bridge mini game, it takes you to a brief underground cave section. You will pop out back in the Kero Sewers next to the very same treasure chest we skipped so long ago. Inside is Cricket Jam! If you remember, back on Star Hill, we found a wish from someone stating that they wanted some Cricket Jam. Considering Frogfucius sent Mallow to town to get a Cricket Pie back in the beginning of the game, it's safe to assume he would also like some Cricket Jam. Delivering the Cricket Jam to Frogfucius gets us 10 whole frog coins! A word of warning, though... Save this little errand for after you get to Monstro Town. The desert part of Land's End is not its own point on the map, so we have to run back through the whole of Land's End.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 32 - Tasty

We're almost out of Land's End, I promise! In the caves before we reach Belome Temple, there is a shaman mercant who wants to sell us a star. While not a star piece, it is one of the invincible stars. According to the guide, if we refuse his deal now, we don't get another chance. But if we spend the 400 coins, we can come back again after saving in Monstro Town. 400 coins is kind of a lot, but money isn't super hard to come by and I always jump at the chance to get some easy experience.

Just ahead is Belome Temple! Apparently Belome has upgraded from the sewers to his own temple. The big mechanic here is the fortunes you can buy. Depending on the order in which you hit the 3 switches, you will get sent to a different room. Some rooms have prizes while others just have enemies. Some fortunes will also send you to fight Belome, while others will just send you back to the beginning of the temple. Because we need to fight Belome to move on, I highly reccommend taking the 100 coins + fight Belome path your first time (right, middle, left). I've included a scan of the player's guide page for the fortunes if you want to know how to get any specific one.

Belome waits for us at the end of the temple, and he's ready for a rematch! The guide reccommends taking Toadstool and Mallow with you to this fight, and I definitely agree. We haven't been using Mallow much, but he comes in very handy for this fight. Belome's big upgrade for this fight is an overhaul to his eating mechanic. Party members are no longer out for a turn, but instead Belome creates a clone of whomever he eats. Things can go bad fast if you don't take care of the clones (he can have 2 out at a time). This is one area where Mallow comes in handy, as Thunderbolt hits multiple targets (just don't use it against Mallow Clone...). Belome is also weak to thunder attacks, another point in Mallow's favor. The last thing he has going for him is his low HP pool, which is normally not such a great thing. However, it does mean that Mallow Clone has one of the lowest HP pools as well (right next to Toadstool 2). Taking Mallow and Toadstool guarantees that the clones will go down fast and stay manageable.

Here is the aforementioned scan of the fortune table:

Here is another scan of Belome's second character section:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Belome sure could use some lore. He might be a god of the sewers, but there is nothing known about him just by looking around.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Those huge doors in Belome's temple look like waffles.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Scalding Coffee posted:

Belome sure could use some lore. He might be a god of the sewers, but there is nothing known about him just by looking around.

Belome is one of those characters that has always fascinated me. He always seemed so creepy and mysterious. Despite being infamous in Tadpole Pond, we really don't know much of anything. I'd love to get the chance to learn more about him.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, that's in my brain now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Carbon dioxide posted:

The spiked balls that Spikes cough up, look like sea urchins. Ignoring the hardware limitations on the NES. They live in places surrounded by water or ice and I thought they hunted sea creatures to survive.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

This is the first LP I've seen with commentary by a literal baby :3:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

U.T. Raptor posted:

This is the first LP I've seen with commentary by a literal baby :3:

We're always exploring new ways to break the mold when it comes to LPs.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 33 - Good Guy Bowser

We've finally made it to Monstro Town! I love the idea of a town populated by reformed monsters. Not only do they not attack you, but they are the nicest, most polite NPCs in the entire game. I also love that it's a town that was carved out of a cliffside, because the monsters didn't belong anywhere else. They literally had to carve their own place in the world. It's a relatively small town, but there is so much to do and see here!

First off, we need to track down that "star" we heard about but it's not that easy to just get our last star piece. There are a number of cutscenes we can see between Bowser and reformed members of the Koopa Troop, which is a really nice touch. Turns out, Bowser isn't such a bad guy! At least, not in this game. It is kind of silly how much Bowser's character goes back and forth between being not that bad a guy and partying up with Mario to almost destroying the entire universe...

Anyways, we can pick up the key above the middle house by talking to the Thwomp repeatedly. Every time he stomps it bumps the key a little bit closer to the edge. This is actually the key to Bellome's Temple, so we'll have to back track for that one again. It's totally worth the effort, though.

Next to Thwomp is a K-9 who tracks how many successive jumps you've done during the Super Jump special move. His phrasing is a little weird, and as a kid at first I thought he was just talking about mashing the jump button on the overworld and was very disappointed when jumping in front of him 30 times didn't get my anything. This is a pretty tough feat to accomplish, and unless you're really good at the Super Jump timing I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We also start the side quest for the Three Musty Fears, who have each hidden an invisible flag somewhere in the world. We need to track down one "behind a wooden flower", "under a green bed", and "between O and A". Thankfully they don't hide any of the flags deep in a dungeon (having to search all around Kero Sewers or the Sunken Ship would be a nightmare). Completing this quest will net us the Ghost Badge, which increases the wearer's Defense and Special Attack.

Last, but certainly not least, is Jinx's Dojo! There are a total of 4 fights you have to complete before you get a reward. None of these fights are pushovers, and they only get harder every time. If you can manage to defeat Jagger and all 3 of the Jinx fights, you'll get a pretty sweet accessory, but being able to beat Jinx's 3rd fight at this point is pretty unlikely. At the very least, we do so little damage it will take forever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking forward to seeing you get utterly destroyed, but don't let that stop you from fighting his third and final form. If you did stick with attack or magic level ups the whole game, you would have enough to beat him in his last form at this point. I easily beat him when I got there. Bring a buffbot.
Each Jump has its own counter to increasing in power. A full power Jump is stronger than base Super Jump, but not after a few dozen Supers with a couple successful jumps. If you can regularly get 10 jumps each use, you are doing real well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BTW, I just want to say that until a couple years ago you'd have been ridiculed on this forum for doing voices for the in-game characters. And honestly, when someone reads out all the in-game text in a monotonous voice it is terrible. But you guys are actually doing a good job at it, made me chuckle a couple times.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looking forward to seeing you get utterly destroyed, but don't let that stop you from fighting his third and final form. If you did stick with attack or magic level ups the whole game, you would have enough to beat him in his last form at this point. I easily beat him when I got there. Bring a buffbot.
Each Jump has its own counter to increasing in power. A full power Jump is stronger than base Super Jump, but not after a few dozen Supers with a couple successful jumps. If you can regularly get 10 jumps each use, you are doing real well.

The Jumps each having their own counter is very useful information, I didn't realize it worked that way. Also a buffbot for the Jinx fight is an excellent idea.

Carbon dioxide posted:

BTW, I just want to say that until a couple years ago you'd have been ridiculed on this forum for doing voices for the in-game characters. And honestly, when someone reads out all the in-game text in a monotonous voice it is terrible. But you guys are actually doing a good job at it, made me chuckle a couple times.

Well thanks! I hadn't really ever done voices for anything before, but Mario RPG is just such happy go lucky game it just kinda happened. We've been having a lot of fun with the voices and I'm glad they're getting some chuckles!

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Once again the horribly translated and vaguely worded descriptions don't properly convey what the accessories do.

The Ghost Medal halves damage from ALL enemy attacks (which lasts for the whole battle unless you are hit with the "Shredder" attack).

Also the Safety Ring Bowser was wearing was causing Jinx's instant kill attack to miss completely.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 34 - Metaphorical Cake

In between episodes we decided that trying to tackle Jinx fight 3 right now wasn't the best idea, so we're going to save that for later. Thanks to the wonderful sergeant, we can scale the cliff at the end of Land's End! It's a little obnoxious that you have to go through Land's End once to get to Monstro Town, and then do it all again to get to the cliffside.

Before we continue through Bean Valley, though, we want to grab those 3 invisible flags. The 3 locations are:

(Under a green bed) - under Mario's bed at his pad
(Between O and A) - at Yo'ster Isle, between the "O" and "A" in the word "GOAL" on the race track.
(Behind a wooden flower) - behind the wooden flower at the entrance to Rose Town.

I got my wires crossed and showed off Link again, but... I still really want him in my party. Samus also makes a sleepy cameo! Some kinda Super Smash RPG would just make me the happiest camper.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That new attack of Jinx did quite a bit more than 400 when I fought him. Like it feeds off of high defense. He really should try to save the world. Get in my party, right now. Good bye, Mallow.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure Jinx is intended to be a test of how well you can time your guard. Most of his attacks have really weird block timing, but you can handle them once you know how to do it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 35 - Gettin' Sauced

It's time to finally finish our last trip to Land's End! After scooping up the goodies in Bellome's Temple there is no good reason for us to ever come back here. If you come back with the temple key and get one of the fortunes that doesn't lead to the boss fight, you can use the key to get to Bellome's treasure horde! Lots of good items and frog coins in here. I recommend taking the "right, left, center" fortune to get either 100 coins or a frog coin on top of it.

With Land's End finally behind us, we can start progressing through Bean Valley! Well, we can, and we did, but we shouldn't yet. We should have gone back to Booster Tower before starting Bean Valley, but I didn't realize until it was too late so... we'll be doing that in a later episode. For now, though, there's not really a whole lot that makes Bean Valley special just yet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You might do better in battle by replacing Peach.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Scalding Coffee posted:

You might do better in battle by replacing Peach.

That's a fair point. With only 3 party members and a shared pool of FP, a dedicated healer isn't always the most useful party member.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I bet the name "Kriffid" was a reference to Triffid, as in, "Day of the Triffids," the sci-fi novel and movie of the same name. The titular Triffids were a species of mobile, carnivorous plants (possibly FROM SPACE.)

Ceraph posted:

That's a fair point. With only 3 party members and a shared pool of FP, a dedicated healer isn't always the most useful party member.

Also... that's why I stuck with Mallow over Peach when I played back in the day. He could do offense spells or pinch hit as a healer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They also get to use those 15 healing items.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Eh, the game is simple and easy enough for the most part that you can succeed with any party.

Once Peach gets her final weapon she's actually not that bad of an attacker, and she can take hits pretty well even without the overpowered secret armor (which also tanks her offense). This is because she's the only party member to still get significant HP growths even after Level 20 (which is when the vast majority of stat growths and bonuses for ALL characters taper off).
In fact, if you choose HP Bonus with every Peach level-up (which you should, b/c she will never need Attack/Mgc Attack for anything and her equipment covers her defense well enough), she will end up with easily the most HP of any party member by Level 30.

Mallow IS the best choice for Bean Valley and another dungeon coming up, but after that he's just not very useful.
HP Rain is no substitute for Therapy, much less Group Hug (without the right equipment set-ups, you will NEED the convenience of Healing+Status Recovery in one spell).
Mallow's FP costs for his later spells are just too darn expensive, plain and simple. Yes, you can invest in a Scrooge Ring, but there are much better accessories to choose from at this point in the game (like the one that makes you immune to all status ailments, or the one that HALVES damage from everything).
It doesn't help that the Magic Defense of enemies in the late game begin to skyrocket.

I personally prefer Geno over Peach and Mallow, but he is quite fragile and can be a liability in long dungeon crawls due to the resources you have to use to keep him healthy.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 36 - Heavy Troopa

Sorry for the long delay in getting episodes posted, I've been visiting family in Italy for the past 2 weeks and finding free time has been very difficult. But I've got an episode for you today! Before we can leave Bean Valley, we have a good old fashioned boss fight! Megasmilax isn't too terribly difficult, you just have to not waste all your FP (or be prepared to use some syrups) before the final phase. There's a total of 4 phases, and each time you defeat all the pirhanna plant heads, they will respawn with 1 more (or in the case of the final phase, the middle head is replaced with the actual Megasmilax). Use your group target magic abilities until all the smaller heads are dead and then just focus Megasmilax with regular attacks. The most annoying part of this fight is how often Megasmilax uses petal blast and turns the party into mushrooms. If you use Toadstool for this fight, equipping her with a trueform pin isn't a bad idea.

After beating Megasmilax, we're treated to a mysterious seed (which I would actually recommend not picking up until a bit later in the game. It will stay there.) and a giant beanstalk reaching up into the sky! I love the aesthetic of this area with the beanstalks reaching up through the clouds, but I hated doing this as a kid. There's some really tight platforming you need to do to pick up all the chests, and the perspective on the camera makes it very hard to do. I was wrong in the episode about needing to come at a specific beanstalk from a different area, but honestly I don't think it's really worth it if you can't make the jump in a few tries.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This is one platformer where the platforming is really annoying and Mario drops like a rock. You had a fire bomb and a great reason to use it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Scalding Coffee posted:

This is one platformer where the platforming is really annoying and Mario drops like a rock. You had a fire bomb and a great reason to use it.

We did, and even going through and watching it a second time I didn't realize it until you just said something. We're so good at this game.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 37 - Chumpy

We have some unfinished business to take care of before we move on to Nimbus Land. The special item shop in Moleville has another item for us: the mystery egg! The mystery egg is a fun little item, but it's not the most terribly useful thing. It can only be used by Toadstool and it only works if she's wearing the B'tub ring. It will cure ailments on an ally when used and it's a reuseable item, but that's not its real purpose. When it's been used 10 times, it becomes the Lamb's Lure. This item will turn one enemy into a lamb, which runs away. As you can expect, this won't work on bosses. We're not done yet, though, because if you use the Lamb's Lure 48 times, it becomes Sheep Attack, which summons an army of sheep to do an attack on all enemies.

There's one more item the secret item shop sells that we really want, but it's not available just yet. Before we leave, there's one more thing we can do here. If we buy some fireworks for 500 coins and trade it to the little girl outside for a shiny stone we can use that later. It's very important that you stop the trade sequence here and just hold on to the shiny stone.

Next stop: Booster Tower! If we go back up several floors, we find Kinfe Guy juggling in the corner. If you talk to him, you can play a mini game where he juggles a bunch of red balls and one yellow ball. If you correctly guess which hand the yellow ball lands in, he'll give you a prize! Most of the time, the prizes are just junk (rotten mush or a wilted shroom), but sometimes you can get a mid mushroom. The real purpose of this mini game is to obtain the Bright Card by correctly guessing 10 times. This can not only be sold for 777 coins, but it grants you access to Grate Guy's Casino, which can be found back at Bean Valley. If you really hate yourself, you can play this game 100 times to win a red essence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You really don't need mushrooms with all those party heals.