Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Much as I enjoyed using ZSNES, that is a garbage emulator and it had freezing issues when equipping stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://www.retroarch.com/index.php
Not even retroarch?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ceraph posted:

I had considered focusing on specific stats instead of going for the bonus stats, and we might try to focus on getting Mallow more magic at some point. Mario I feel like is a good enough all around character that we can just go with the bonus stat option. Like you said, it doesn't make a huge difference, but it's always fun to try and min/max your party.
It does make a huge difference. Sticking to Hammer for several levels makes regular enemy attacks do no damage for most of the game and makes your Jumps hit like an angry god. The game got really boring that way since the few enemy mages did any real damage.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I defeated the optional super bosses like they were chumps as soon as they were available. It feels like Jump is a physical attack unless you can show me what a star only bonus character looks like.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would love to see what an all star run would look like. I wasn't supposed to beat that other boss, but he kept making dumb mistakes and I won by clutch. Magic defense is the most important stat, because of the inability to defend against it.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 18, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Spacing out flower items is very helpful for dungeons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those shoes are the best item in the game. Also helps clothe him since he is only wearing a shirt and no pants.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it spoiler to say what other things can freeze the game with this buggy emulator?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Poisoning bosses messed up the game and the poison damage isn't even worth it. Poisoning enemies would be worthless.
Have you tried Snes9x?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think they censored Croco's dialog in a rerelease. Mario games are too hardcore for some audiences.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Genocyber posted:

The translator for this was Ted Woolsey, and I'm 90% sure that at least half the dialogue is nothing like it is in the Japanese release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXkxMd_xcYM
About 30 seconds in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think you could kill Mack's group if Mallow had more magic attack boosts. I think the Thunderbolt attack powers up by the end of the animation or after the sound.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Genocyber posted:

[Regarding the latest episode]

Nooooo don't use the Pure Waters! You're supposed to hoard and then sell them!! They go for like 50 coins a pop!!!
They are a common enough drop to consider spending that money on the most expensive stuff and then resell that when you need more money.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The joke about Belome besides saying his name fast enough, is that he turned into a Dungeons and Dragons nerd.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They both last forever and can cause way more damage than Jump, with fewer uses.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the menu only freezes when equipping stuff, but you are still using ZSNES.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bowyer is in blackface in the original version. You can sort of see him uncensored in the ending credits.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am trying to find the image of black Bowyer and it is not easy to find. I was sure he got a palette swap.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That goomba stomp game is not RNG so much as loving over the player. I tried to game it and there were times where no gold goombas would show up.
Mario has two reactions when you say "no" when saving the game 10 and 25 times.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a spriteless hint NPC behind a building on the left side of Mushroom Kingdom.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am going with mini-games being determined on map load. You can always save state on the map and beat everything and save state before entering that map and kill everything.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Random trivia: That weird face at the door to Booster's tower, is on some sort of lift, so he is clipping through the floor. You can't use it, it is a programmer's trick.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like how flat Mario doesn't look terrible compared to 3D Mario.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Knowing Nintendo, it will put up an updated title screen and nothing else.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mario has two reactions when you say "no" when saving the game 10 and 25 times. You stick to one save slot.
I got about 8 tabs during that game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Who is raspberry?
When the cake entered the room, it had pizza on top.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They talk way too much in this game.
I always wondered the deal with those few humans being in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It can't be good for the planet if asteroids of that size keep crashing into it. One big wish and you have an extinction event.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't think I ever saw a SNES game where your characters use up as many characters as Peach.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those Greapers are a good enough reason to increase your magic boosts and you could have one shot enemies with fire. It did remind me how boring your equipment selection is when you don't have elemental resist or absorb armor.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should try to poison a boss, since it won't freeze the game. See how useful it is.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The r doesn't come before the l.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The a does.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Stick around.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Rock Candy would have been a big help against the strong bosses.

Why can't we have Jones instead of Mallow in our party?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The guide says the Forest Maze has the special mushrooms, but maybe the game is simple enough to overlook that and you totally should fill your inventory with store bought shrooms.

The Yari is a Japanese spear that was quite popular in wartime in the middle of the last millennium and very effective against cavalry. The long reach made it apparent how much better it was compared to swords as a main weapon and there are about two dozen variations. These spears were organized in lines and layered three deep and used as a wall of metal spikes when in place or for charging into large bodies of soldiers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For a Nintendo game, there is a lot of gambling games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Belome sure could use some lore. He might be a god of the sewers, but there is nothing known about him just by looking around.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Carbon dioxide posted:

Those huge doors in Belome's temple look like waffles.
The spiked balls that Spikes cough up, look like sea urchins. Ignoring the hardware limitations on the NES. They live in places surrounded by water or ice and I thought they hunted sea creatures to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking forward to seeing you get utterly destroyed, but don't let that stop you from fighting his third and final form. If you did stick with attack or magic level ups the whole game, you would have enough to beat him in his last form at this point. I easily beat him when I got there. Bring a buffbot.
Each Jump has its own counter to increasing in power. A full power Jump is stronger than base Super Jump, but not after a few dozen Supers with a couple successful jumps. If you can regularly get 10 jumps each use, you are doing real well.