Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
voted 5 and subscribed

I haven’t been able to fix that virtual boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Shaggar posted:

lmao Europeans are scared of litterrally everything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

uk is not europe

it is most definitely europe

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

yo can you fucken blame us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6JOneuHXHc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Coming back to this thread to say it owns

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dj Meow Mix posted:

that's cool as gently caress. i didn't work nearly that hard and it shows, that vinyl stuff is awesome. good luck on your pizzaria room

i bought an xtension cabinet and mounted a TV in there but i didn't get around to setting up anything inside of it for around 3 years. after i couldn't get a snes classic i went ahead and made a retropie setup. works like a charm but compared to this its kinda lame!!

i just checked out that xtension cabinet. it looks pretty cool! i was just a stickler and absolutely needed a working coin mech and a low-res CRT. mortal kombat 3 still looks amazing on it to this day, but i don't like the way it looks on an LCD :(

maybe 4k LCDs with those shaders or something will some day change my mind. if I had the time, i would start a kickstarter for a 25" low-res LCD (preferably OLED). like a flat screen LCD but its native resolution was like 320x240 or whatever (slightly higher maybe for games like MK3 but you get the point). i would think though niche, it could do really well! but lol if you think i have that much dynamo

also if you are really bummed about not getting an SNES classic, i could possibly help you out. it looks like when the gamestop website was making GBS threads itself i might have preordered one of the bundles. you can have it at cost, but keep in mind i had to buy the stupid bundle with wireless controllers and a Ryu statue and other garbage. i dont really feel like dealing with ebay and i dislike scalpers

Silver Alicorn posted:

voted 5 and subscribed

I haven’t been able to fix that virtual boy

don't even bother. you need to be a surgeon and have the patience of a monk. there is a guy on the Virtual Boy forums (yes that's a thing) that does them for a really fair price.

the baking trick only lasts so long before the issue comes back

Video Nasty posted:

This is true craftsmanship. Your efforts were incredible to restore this and improve it beyond what I thought was possible with a MAME, while still keeping its integrity maintaining the original form.
Make sure it can play Sunset Riders!

I really appreciate it but the black spray paint/sanding is just making it look nice. i did a horrendous job. if you look at the other side of that control panel, it looks like it was done by an inmate at a Guatemalan insane asylum

you see those circles? those aren't curves I made in the wood. I hosed up and accidentally cut that spot at a perfect angle, with no curve. It looked really stupid, and it didn't match the original TMNT control panel. I had to make "fake" curves with wood filler. do you know what it's like "molding" something out of wood filler? it's ridiculous. I had to glom on a shitload of wood filler, wait for it to dry, and keep doing it and doing it until it stuck out far enough, and then I had to carve that mess of wood filler into a curve. then, it would crumble to pieces if I looked at it wrong. so the only thing I could think of was rubbing wood glue over it to "harden" it, and then putting Bondo on top of that. it took me a good week just for those two stupid curves.

then when I tried to carve out the slots for the t-molding (the black molding that goes around the entire machine and control panel), when I cut where those curves are, it kept cutting the slot WAY too big. this is because it was way too "soft" of a spot and even if I filled it up again and tried to cut the slot with a Dremel, the t-molding would pop out at those two curves. it was so maddening. so basically I had to super-glue the t-molding in those spots. I hate that I had to do that because t-molding is supposed to be easy to remove. And though i can't imagine ever having to remove the t-molding ever, i might need to if the control panel artwork ever gets messed up and i need to replace it. then I am gonna be sort of screwed because I won't be able to pull the t-molding off in those spots.

so thank you; it might look nice but it really was a lovely job that I did. I would feel so bad if I was doing this for someone who was paying me

and it definitely can play Sunset Riders. it should realistically be able to play anything released until 2003 or so, when games started getting complex 3D and copy protection that is hard to emulate. the video card is an ATI card modified to run at 320x240 and it does in fact do 3d so maybe it can handle stuff like house of the dead 2? I am not sure but that would be awesome (I still have 2 days left on a 1.5TB download of all the MAME stuff so I could not test it yet)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:agreed:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good work op thats rad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
thanks gang :)

and this is the win 10 pop-up I get, even with updates being forced off by registry hacks or whatever the hell I did:

this pop up steals focus from EVERYTHING and even "greys out" the rest of the screen so I have to click on "get updates".

is there any way to disable this poo poo? I am 99% certain it would minimize mame and all my friends will point and laugh at me

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

you might be joking but i actually wanted a slush puppy machine and my goal was to make this room literally look like a pizzeria. since it is an attached room at the back of the house (you can kinda tell it was not originally part of the house; it cut into the backyard) I wanted the outside of this room to even have cloth awnings and a sign with our last name and "PIZZA" outside and on the cloth awnings. I even bought a legit payphone (it weighs 75 pounds) and if you look at the Megatouch game, you can see actual pizza tables I got in the background and was in the middle of setting up. then we had our 2nd kid and my wife asked if I can hold off a bit until they are all older so we can put a bunch of their toys back there so it isn't taking over our living room any more :argh:

these were the exact tables I bought:

again, you can kinda see them in the background of the Megatouch arcade pic.

i also have an NBA Jam cabinet that was converted to some lovely shooting game, but i was able to peel off the paint and restore the NBA Jam sideart. i honeslty have no idea what to do with it though because it is going to be stupidly redundant having another arcade cabinet back there. i was thinking maybe a MAME cabinet for "other" games like driving and shooting but it might look stupid having an NBA Jam cabinet with guns and steering wheels

:jackbud: jfccccccc this thread and your arcade machine are awesome enough as-is, but if you actually pull off the pizzeria themed room that will be like awesome^3

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

and this is the win 10 pop-up I get, even with updates being forced off by registry hacks or whatever the hell I did:

this pop up steals focus from EVERYTHING and even "greys out" the rest of the screen so I have to click on "get updates".

is there any way to disable this poo poo? I am 99% certain it would minimize mame and all my friends will point and laugh at me

set it to automatically update and it will update automatically so you never see that.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

literally never seen this before, this is on win10 pro.

honestly for a system like this maybe try running win10 LTSB and all the registry hacks and GPO changes out there and then just keep it off the internet. this thing is gonna be more of an appliance than a regular computer so who cares.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

set it to automatically update and it will update automatically so you never see that.

lol

this computer is going to be on only when people are playing it. I do not want it updating while we are playing marble madness

SO DEMANDING posted:

:jackbud: jfccccccc this thread and your arcade machine are awesome enough as-is, but if you actually pull off the pizzeria themed room that will be like awesome^3

haha I had the pizza tables all set up and everything; i even bought the cups every pizzeria on the planet had:

i am holding off on the Slush Puppie machine because those things are like 1k used

SO DEMANDING posted:

literally never seen this before, this is on win10 pro.

honestly for a system like this maybe try running win10 LTSB and all the registry hacks and GPO changes out there and then just keep it off the internet. this thing is gonna be more of an appliance than a regular computer so who cares.

e: i kinda want it to connect to the internet because MAME is such a crazy program that every time there is an update, the thousands of roms you downloaded might not work. so I need to regularly update the ROM pack and I would need it to go online for that

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 16, 2017

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol

this computer is going to be on only when people are playing it. I do not want it updating while we are playing marble madness

haha I had the pizza tables all set up and everything; i even bought the cups every pizzeria on the planet had:

i kinda want it to connect to the internet because MAME is such a crazy program that every time there is an update, the thousands of roms you downloaded might not work. so I need to regularly update the ROM pack and I would need it to go online for that

loving DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW MAKE THE GODDAMN CHILDHOOD PIZZA PLACE IN YOUR loving LIVING ROOM YYYYEEEESSSSSSSS i wish i had goals and achievements in my life as fun as this

re: win10 updates and such. are you running home or pro? i think home might be a little extra bullshitty for this stuff and pro could work out better. maybe just fire the thing up once a week and let updates install, idk. everything has updates now even my friends xbox we had to wait for updates before playing poo poo, people are used to it lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
this owns, OP.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SO DEMANDING posted:

re: win10 updates and such. are you running home or pro? i think home might be a little extra bullshitty for this stuff and pro could work out better. maybe just fire the thing up once a week and let updates install, idk. everything has updates now even my friends xbox we had to wait for updates before playing poo poo, people are used to it lol
pro isn't any better. it's still real bad with eventually-forced-updates and notifications out the wazoo

i'm not even sure if it's even possible to turn them all off

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'll be the haggard grandma in the back booth with what's left of the pizza, smoking a cigarette and waiting for the kids to hurry up and lose the god damned video game so i can take them home to their mom.

yes, i'll take another pepsi refill.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god mate you've done it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SO DEMANDING posted:

loving DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW MAKE THE GODDAMN CHILDHOOD PIZZA PLACE IN YOUR loving LIVING ROOM YYYYEEEESSSSSSSS i wish i had goals and achievements in my life as fun as this

haha it's not the living room but an attachment to the back of the house; it looks like its own separate part of the house but it's attached. you get to it through the back door of the house. it kinda does look like a small restaurant attached to the back of the house lol

the only thing that will ruin the ~immersion~ is my wife wants a nice couch back there and a TV so we can sit out there and watch TV sometimes for a change of pace since there's a lot more windows and sunlight than in the living room. i am not sure how it would look; pizza tables, 3 arcade cabinets, a slush puppie machine, and a coke can machine and 10 feet away a nice couch and large flat screen TV lol

as for win10, it is in fact pro. i guess i could live with auto updates once per week but i just know there is going to be a situation where there is some "important" update in the middle of the week where MAME closes just as we are about to deliver the 300th blow to cyborg Mr. Burns

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol nice

Roosevelt posted:

i'll be the haggard grandma in the back booth with what's left of the pizza, smoking a cigarette and waiting for the kids to hurry up and lose the god damned video game so i can take them home to their mom.

yes, i'll take another pepsi refill.

so youve been to pittsburgh

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my wife wants a nice couch back there and a TV so we can sit out there and watch TV sometimes for a change of pace since there's a lot more windows and sunlight than in the living room. i am not sure how it would look; pizza tables, 3 arcade cabinets, a slush puppie machine, and a coke can machine and 10 feet away a nice couch and large flat screen TV lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

use linux

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
no

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

have you tried MacOS/X op

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yospos

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

have you tried MacOS/X op

yes

i stopped as soon as i found out that pressing enter on a file renames it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
as much as i want to call you a garbage man that is insanely nice handiwork OP

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

yes

i stopped as soon as i found out that pressing enter on a file renames it

you must press ⌘-O

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
amazing loving work op

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
[quote="“Roosevelt”" post="“476444883”"]
i’ll be the haggard grandma in the back booth with what’s left of the pizza, smoking a cigarette and waiting for the kids to hurry up and lose the god damned video game so i can take them home to their mom.

yes, i’ll take another pepsi refill.
[/quote]

if anyone is ever in Brooklyn there’s a place called Pizza Party that’s this theme. It’s owned by the same people as Boobie Trap across the road (which is now packed with European tourists every weekend)

The pies are p dece, but the layout is really weird because they have to cook them in the basement since the oven is literally part of the foundation of the building (they discovered it mere years ago)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
btw this is super sick and it what ‘man caves’ should aspire to be instead of just being the room that has a wall-mounted flatscreen and a kegerator

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

set it to install updates at like 3am and it will wake itself up, update, and go back to sleep/shutdown

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

atomicthumbs posted:

you must press ⌘-O

cmd + arrow down is quicker if youre already navigating around with the arrow keys (arrow up for parent folder)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

if anyone is ever in Brooklyn there’s a place called Pizza Party that’s this theme. It’s owned by the same people as Boobie Trap across the road (which is now packed with European tourists every weekend)

The pies are p dece, but the layout is really weird because they have to cook them in the basement since the oven is literally part of the foundation of the building (they discovered it mere years ago)

im actually driving to manhattan and long island tomorrow. i will have to check this out

Shaggar posted:

set it to install updates at like 3am and it will wake itself up, update, and go back to sleep/shutdown

i have the computer on a surge protector where if the computer is turned on, it turns on the monitor and the amp. if I leave it in sleep mode won't that feature of the surge protector no longer work?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
that's cool as heck op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

im actually driving to manhattan and long island tomorrow

goondolences

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah it sucks but is definitely less rage-inducing on Sundays

visiting a friend in the city and the parents on the island and might have to make a stop in bk on the way now

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

leaked Microsoft PocketPC Watch pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

im actually driving to manhattan and long island tomorrow. i will have to check this out

i have the computer on a surge protector where if the computer is turned on, it turns on the monitor and the amp. if I leave it in sleep mode won't that feature of the surge protector no longer work?

just get an xbox to play video games, op

• Locked thread