Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
nice bootleg sf2 rom :v:

amazing cabinet though. i think the only major improvement for would be using an arched button layout (see here) for comfort

good to see the control areas are angled for different players though, especially after trying to play four-player Quartet. nothing like standing at a near right angle to the cabinet so all your controls feel rotated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

they've made it hard to disable cause every time they create that option people disable it cause they don't know any better. The best solution is still to let it automatically update. it happens like once a week at 4am or whenever you choose and you'll never notice it.

about the 4AM thing:

I work rotating shifts and rotating days. sometimes i am up at 4am; even on weekends. it depends and is random

i also really don't want this thing receiving power 24/7, no matter how little it is

Zamujasa posted:

nice bootleg sf2 rom :v:

amazing cabinet though. i think the only major improvement for would be using an arched button layout (see here) for comfort

good to see the control areas are angled for different players though, especially after trying to play four-player Quartet. nothing like standing at a near right angle to the cabinet so all your controls feel rotated

wait so in Quartet the controls on the sides operate exactly the same as the ones that aren't on the sides? Meaning if you want to go left, it's in the same direction that P1 pushes up?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i also really don't want this thing receiving power 24/7, no matter how little it is

unless its physically disconnected from the wall any system is going to be sitting in at least S5 state and the difference between S3 and S5 is maybe a watt if WoL is disabled so FYI you're just being a weird curmudgeon here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To each their own, but if you're really this concerned about being humiliated in the 0.1% chance an update window pops up while you're playing games with your friends, maybe you should look into different friends or something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i thought the "my friends would point and laugh at me" line was obviously satire. you must not think very highly of me lol

also it's not a 0.1% chance of happening. it happens to me on my Win10 laptop constantly, and minimizes anything full screen

i will manually update it when i drat well feel like it, just like ive been doing with 7 :spergin:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 19, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you must not think very highly of me lol

yospos bicth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

about the 4AM thing:

I work rotating shifts and rotating days. sometimes i am up at 4am; even on weekends. it depends and is random

wait so in Quartet the controls on the sides operate exactly the same as the ones that aren't on the sides? Meaning if you want to go left, it's in the same direction that P1 pushes up?
you can configure the restart time and give it a range of time it can do its thing. also like mr knickers said lower power sleep states are really low power. when my desktop is asleep it draws sub-watt even w/ wol. you could also throw a timer in front of it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

you can configure the restart time and give it a range of time it can do its thing.

right but I work ROTATING shifts, meaning sometimes i am at work at 2 am on a Saturday, and sometimes i am at work at 2PM on a wednesday. and sometimes i am not at work at all on those days. there is no "good, guaranteed time" that it won't be in use

if i get a loving pop-up in the middle of pulling off Cinder's 80 hit combo i'll lift that loving arcade machine in ange Liu Kang fatality style

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

"up" on every quartet joystick is "towards the crt". so if you are standing on the extreme right as player 4, you effectively have to hold up to go left, down to go right, and right to go up.

it feels like a very compact 4 player cabinet compared to later 4p cabinets

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

"up" on every quartet joystick is "towards the crt". so if you are standing on the extreme right as player 4, you effectively have to hold up to go left, down to go right, and right to go up.

it feels like a very compact 4 player cabinet compared to later 4p cabinets

it is so funny you mention that

on every arcade forum I visited while doing this project, people are loving adamant that it should be "towards the CRT" style.

they said that "if you don't do it that way, the person would be confused! i am trying to move my character about the screen, and it should reflect the direction they literally want to go in!"

i even said "when I played Nintendo as a kid and i was off to the side of the screen while my sister played, the controller stayed the same and i dont recall ever being confused" but they all swore to me that any 3rd and 4th player would be miserable on my cabinet if I did not listen to them.

i didnt care and did it ~my way~ and i think i made the right choice.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

great restoration OP. is that one of the pirate Street Fighter chips?

also nice cat gym

literally just said to myself "what the gently caress is a cat gyme"

:negative:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

saw this posted elsewhere:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
close enough

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

edit: dbl post

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 22, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

unless its physically disconnected from the wall any system is going to be sitting in at least S5 state and the difference between S3 and S5 is maybe a watt if WoL is disabled so FYI you're just being a weird curmudgeon here

Sagebrush posted:

To each their own, but if you're really this concerned about being humiliated in the 0.1% chance an update window pops up while you're playing games with your friends, maybe you should look into different friends or something

why do anything at all if you cant be a total sperglord about it

do you really think the guy who made his own authentic 80s pizzeria in his house is going to let a windows 10 popup ruin his immersion?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was half joking about the immersion but i did genuinely worry about being at the last boss in Simpsons the arcade game and Mame loving minimizing because of dumb pop-ups, ruining a whole afternoon

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

we can make this the Frankenpanel/lovely Mame cabinet thread if you wanna keep it going

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I was half joking about the immersion

you dont have to defend yourself. some of the coolest diy poo poo that was ever made exists only because of absurd attention to detail

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

you dont have to defend yourself. some of the coolest diy poo poo that was ever made exists only because of absurd attention to detail

thanks

I mean I don't care if you see the windows logo for a few seconds on boot up (though I might change it to a Winners Don't Use Drugs logo or something) but stuff like being able to slightly see the Taskbar, or the goddamn game minimizing to tell me about updates is where I draw the line

the most absurd attention to detail was definitely in the monitor. I didn't like the way a regular crt television looked, let alone an LCD. finding arcade monitors any time after 2010 is loving impossible. so I had a fully working one it came with, but the tiniest burn in tortured me to no end.

I really got obsessive with trying to find a New Old Stock arcade monitor (and it had to be 15hz) that I'd still be searching for one if I didn't get lucky enough to snag one. the last one was manufactured in 2005. I still can't believe some guy had a couple stashed in his garage for 11 years

right now I am noticing UMK3 looks incredible and just as I remembered it but there's an odd shimmering effect on the title screen and I gotta find out if it was like that on the original machine :spergin:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i hope 80s pizzeria only plays te finest new wave

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74N7KJmEj4

imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

those are some british teef

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thanks

I mean I don't care if you see the windows logo for a few seconds on boot up (though I might change it to a Winners Don't Use Drugs logo or something) but stuff like being able to slightly see the Taskbar, or the goddamn game minimizing to tell me about updates is where I draw the line

fwiw i can't remember if windows 10 has ever minimized a game or made a focus-stealing popup about updates while i was playing a game, mame or otherwise. i don't think it does that any more. it does do that sometimes if you're on the desktop or a non-full-screen window.

i have seen popups from poo poo like OneDrive appear in the corner of a game window for a few seconds, but it doesn't do anything other than look stupid. you can disable app notifications.

having the taskbar visible would definitely drive me nuts too so yeah don't let that one happen.

anyway i admire your dedication to getting this right, just sayin that you're probably catastrophizing about an edge case that you probably won't ever see so why worry so much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

akadajet posted:

those are some british teef

right you are guv

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

fwiw i can't remember if windows 10 has ever minimized a game or made a focus-stealing popup about updates while i was playing a game, mame or otherwise. i don't think it does that any more. it does do that sometimes if you're on the desktop or a non-full-screen window.

i have seen popups from poo poo like OneDrive appear in the corner of a game window for a few seconds, but it doesn't do anything other than look stupid. you can disable app notifications.

having the taskbar visible would definitely drive me nuts too so yeah don't let that one happen.

anyway i admire your dedication to getting this right, just sayin that you're probably catastrophizing about an edge case that you probably won't ever see so why worry so much

I have had Windows reboot to install updates and lost unsaved work. It's infrequent, as in only happened twice or so since Windows 10's release, but it happens and is super infuriating.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

this pop up:

absolutely does steal focus, and it randomly shows up whenever it feels like when you have not updated in awhile. it completely steals focus and you can't even click anywhere except "get updates"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

if you try to use group policy to disable the automatic reboot, like by telling it to ask you before downloading and installing, it'll pop up the pop-up op posted. the pop-up steals focus from whatever you were doing and the only way to get it to go away is to tell it to get updates, at which point the pop-up goes away but the windows update window opens. you can close the updates window though so at least it won't try to loving reboot in the middle of the night when you left your computer running on purpose goddamn it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

if you try to use group policy to disable the automatic reboot, like by telling it to ask you before downloading and installing, it'll pop up the pop-up op posted. the pop-up steals focus from whatever you were doing and the only way to get it to go away is to tell it to get updates, at which point the pop-up goes away but the windows update window opens. you can close the updates window though so at least it won't try to loving reboot in the middle of the night when you left your computer running on purpose goddamn it

i had to scour the internet for quite a while but i found the fix for it

open a command prompt
code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i noticed two new windows 10 annoyances, if anyone can tell me how to fix (other than install another operating system)

it doesn't seem to force reboot/shut down if a file is open. lets say i have notepad open and some crap i typed in and i go to shut down, windows 10 apparently does not do what windows 7 did and give you time to cancel. it just outright refuses to shut down. this is some win95 type poo poo. is there any way to change the settings so it acts like windows 7? I wouldnt even begin to know where to look

another annoyance is explorer crashes once in a while which usually is fixed by double clicking on the taskbar and a pop-up telling you explorer is not responding and you force close and it is back to working in 1 second. is there a way to force it to automatically do that? i have been teamviewering into this thing because gently caress standing in front of an arcade machine hunched over with a keyboard for hours at a time, and it causes teamviewer to lockup and i can't reconnect.

thanks for any advice!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this pop up:

absolutely does steal focus, and it randomly shows up whenever it feels like when you have not updated in awhile. it completely steals focus and you can't even click anywhere except "get updates"

never seen that one. i have it set to automatically download updates, though.

I *have* seen the one that comes up afterwards, saying "please schedule a time to install updates" if you haven't set it to 4am like the OP says he can't. that window does steal focus from the desktop or browser etc, but i have never seen it pop up over a game or full-screen video or whatever. it sometimes shows up right after the game closes, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this pop up:

lol did you turn off auto updates to get that screenshot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he time-traveled back to last week too, apparently

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

he time-traveled back to last week too, apparently

he posted it a week ago you doof

thanks gang :)

and this is the win 10 pop-up I get, even with updates being forced off by registry hacks or whatever the hell I did:

this pop up steals focus from EVERYTHING and even "greys out" the rest of the screen so I have to click on "get updates".

is there any way to disable this poo poo? I am 99% certain it would minimize mame and all my friends will point and laugh at me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well then maybe next time dont have a michaelsoft excel spreadsheet open when windows is being a dickhole?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
how else am I to categorize my game library

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

how else am I to categorize my game library

maybe try TOSEC: https://archive.org/details/TOSEC_V2017-04-23

checksums &c

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i noticed two new windows 10 annoyances, if anyone can tell me how to fix (other than install another operating system)

it doesn't seem to force reboot/shut down if a file is open. lets say i have notepad open and some crap i typed in and i go to shut down, windows 10 apparently does not do what windows 7 did and give you time to cancel. it just outright refuses to shut down. this is some win95 type poo poo. is there any way to change the settings so it acts like windows 7? I wouldnt even begin to know where to look

another annoyance is explorer crashes once in a while which usually is fixed by double clicking on the taskbar and a pop-up telling you explorer is not responding and you force close and it is back to working in 1 second. is there a way to force it to automatically do that? i have been teamviewering into this thing because gently caress standing in front of an arcade machine hunched over with a keyboard for hours at a time, and it causes teamviewer to lockup and i can't reconnect.

thanks for any advice!

yospos bitch. you wouldn't have these problems with Linux and the windows software you need may well work w/ application level virtualization, also teamviewer is garbage. great thread otherwise but it's like watching someone punch themselves in the balls

if you want to stick with windows why don't you just use like XP or something that runs your software but won't get pulled into updates, with networking stripped out or limited to a LAN?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just uninstall all the web browsers, enable the firewall and murder the windows update service, it's an arcade cabinet it really doesn't need updates.
[edit] windows 7 is probably your best OS option

It loving sucks when you turn your machine on to let friends try out some games and some automatic update has pushed over your expertly built house of cards.

You'll want to replace the ArcadeVGA completely with a more modern ATI card like the mighty fine Radeon HD 6450. You can the flash the BIOS to enable low res modes while booting and then CRT EmuDriver and GroovyMAME will take care of the rest. It's the only combination that will give you pixel perfect modes with all the right refresh rates and correct vsync for smooth framerates and scrolling in the largest number of MAME games.

I need to fix my CRT someday, it feels like it'is about to explode. And it's just a tiny paltry 19", you're giving me monitor envy :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD5y5672pyc&t=110s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

is it bad if i think the controls turntable thingy is pretty cool

also how tf do you mount joysticks correctly. i am a lazy piece of poo poo and just drilled holes in the panel for bolts. thats dumb and bad though.

• Locked thread