Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what the gently caress

quote:

The Apple Network Server (ANS) was a short-lived line of PowerPC-based server computers manufactured by Apple Computer from February 1996 to April 1997, when it was discontinued due to poor sales. It was codenamed "Shiner" and originally consisted of two models, the Network Server 500/132 ("Shiner LE", i.e., "low-end") and the Network Server 700/150 ("Shiner HE", i.e., "high-end"), which got a companion model, the Network Server 700/200 (also "Shiner HE") with a faster CPU in November 1996. They are not a part of the Apple Macintosh line of computers; they were designed to run IBM's AIX operating system and their ROM specifically prevented booting the classic Mac OS. This makes them the last non-Macintosh desktop computers made by Apple to date. The 500/132, 700/150, and 700/200 sold in the U.S. market for $11,000, $15,000 and $19,000, respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Network_Server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

a guy on 68KMLA posted:

Yes, AIX 4.1.5 with my own security patches. I shouldn't be too hard on it, it's a pretty busy server, considering (the web server handles around 10,000 transactions a day -- not bad for a vintage server).

Part of the problem is probably the RAM. It uses the parity FPM option, and when it heats up, a bit probably flips somewhere and AIX MCHKs since it doesn't do ECC. The system stays up, but it forces a reboot and kicks me off. This happens a couple times a week and it's enough to finally annoy me sufficiently. However, NSDU can't handle more than 256MB of RAM and the RAM always passes the ROM-based Long RAM test because nothing's hot yet, so I've never been able to track it down (and try finding parity FPM RAM today!). Cache had also occurred to me, but I would have expected more than just an intermittent fault for that, and it kernel-panics with a stock PCI Power Mac cache stick so I'd have to wait around for another 700 1MB cache.

By comparison, the Power Mac 7300 that runs my Gopher server is rock-solid, but there's no parity RAM (let alone ECC), and it's got a G3 card and I've got plenty of spares for that (I bought lots of Sonnet's CPU cards when they were blowing them out so I would have parts). I think the issues I'm seeing are more specific to the ANS, because after all it was intended as Apple's "big iron."

At one time trag was looking at designing a CPU card for the ANS, but he never was able to get far enough with it, and I think there would be exactly two people who would buy it (he and I). I'm sure there are people still using ANSes in production environments, but very few, and I'm the only one I know of that still runs AIX.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I use a Mac mini as a home server op

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Apple Network Usage Server

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did you get one at your job yet op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sweet AF

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yospos af

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the power draw on that big sumbitch?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I use a Mac mini as a home server op

same

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
what the gently caress? ive never heard of this thing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Apple BackOffice Server

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

Apple BackOffice Server

Back Orifice Server

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Loud

graph posted:

what the gently caress? ive never heard of this thing

me neither until i did some googling to figure out if you could fit a 68060 into any mac and stumbled across it

(answer to my question: maybe, with a lot of work)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its... beautiful

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm the color classic. also A/UX was cooler

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
AIX, gross.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anus

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yeah apple probably sold more network servers than Xserves

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I used to janitor the 5 or so xserves that sat in the pentagon on site data center. They were from a failed Apple client rollout and just sat there for years not doing jack poo poo, but plugged in and ready to go.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DAT drive tho

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I miss the mid-2000s apple that made really nice expandable mac pro models and pretty nifty rackmount servers.

I wonder if we'll ever see that kind of apple again in the future :(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

r u ready to WALK posted:

I miss the mid-2000s apple that made really nice expandable mac pro models and pretty nifty rackmount servers.

I wonder if we'll ever see that kind of apple again in the future :(

lol no

i seriously wouldn't be surprised if they straight-up stopped making iMacs entirely. "why do you need desktop? just use laptop. so simple"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh lol i didn't notice they announced iMac Pro

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they literally announced a new expandable Mac Pro coming next year

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jony Ive is going to explain in great detail how hard it was to design a cylindrical eGPU case for the Mac Pro

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

not particularly bad

it's a single processor PReP box. it is very similar to the regular desktop macintoshes of its day

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i used to have a 2-way ibm f80 that was about that size. thing sounded like a beast but i'm pretty sure it only drew about 600 watts

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not particularly bad

it's a single processor PReP box. it is very similar to the regular desktop macintoshes of its day

Yeah its a power Mac 9500 board inside with the roms broken so it can't run macos.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nice rack.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
When I was in early college, before I could afford things like up-to-date computers, my dream was to use an xserve as my desktop machine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

i used to have a 2-way ibm f80 that was about that size. thing sounded like a beast but i'm pretty sure it only drew about 600 watts

now that is a real aix box

none of this sissy ppc poo poo. a real business man's chip, the rs64

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

had aix 5.2 as the last supported os

there were some linux distros that technically worked but had some weirdness if you tried to install via tty

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
rs64 machines were much more expensive and much less popular than their ppc brethren, so support dried up about five minutes after the ppc / rs64 / power unification

they were rad as hell though

gently caress yeah i would keep an f80 in my collection if i stumbled across one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i heard the place i work at now used to have a bigass RS/6000 system back in the 90s handling the ERP software. took up something like two or three full racks by itself

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i heard the place i work at now used to have a bigass RS/6000 system back in the 90s handling the ERP software. took up something like two or three full racks by itself

there was no rs/6000 that big in the 1990s

maybe you were on a mainframe and you didn't know it :q:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

only server i ever dealt with that was around this age was some old alpha server when i worked for texas tech's distance leaning group back in 02-03 as an cj

it was running some version of windows for alpha but iirc was nothing more than a file server at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Silver Alicorn posted:

When I was in early college, before I could afford things like up-to-date computers, my dream was to use an xserve as my desktop machine

one of my coworkers did this with a surplus Intel Xserve.

Its the only Apple product ever where they didn’t care about acoustics because goddamn those things were loud.

• Locked thread