Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I used to janitor the 5 or so xserves that sat in the pentagon on site data center. They were from a failed Apple client rollout and just sat there for years not doing jack poo poo, but plugged in and ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I want to say they use/used FreeBSD?

Siri runs on mesos, I’d bet that is Linux based.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“RISCy Business”" post="“476606064”"]
mesos is a centos/rhel thing i think
[/quote]

mesos is a Linux thing. most folks I know of don't run it on cent because the docker/kernel are so old. Mesosphere is targeting coreos in the future versions of the commercial release because of it.

but I looked it up and Apple is a FreeBSD/rhel shop.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“Notorious b.s.d.”" post="“476717573”"]
mesos is dead as gently caress. redhat bet on k8s instead, and even the mesos vendor, mesosphere, is now selling k8s

but yes mesos has been a linux thing from day one
[/quote]

I have a fondness for mesos(although gently caress dc/os) and think it makes sense in particular scenarios. if you need/want to run stuff natively on the host it can do that, or if you were going to operate it as a parent scheduler to multiple k8 clusters it's resource segmentation model is much better.

data science world is built to run on mesos as well.

Nomad is quickly moving in for the kill, and k8 is much better for docker management.

• Locked thread