Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the power draw on that big sumbitch?

not particularly bad

it's a single processor PReP box. it is very similar to the regular desktop macintoshes of its day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

i used to have a 2-way ibm f80 that was about that size. thing sounded like a beast but i'm pretty sure it only drew about 600 watts

now that is a real aix box

none of this sissy ppc poo poo. a real business man's chip, the rs64

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
rs64 machines were much more expensive and much less popular than their ppc brethren, so support dried up about five minutes after the ppc / rs64 / power unification

they were rad as hell though

gently caress yeah i would keep an f80 in my collection if i stumbled across one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i heard the place i work at now used to have a bigass RS/6000 system back in the 90s handling the ERP software. took up something like two or three full racks by itself

there was no rs/6000 that big in the 1990s

maybe you were on a mainframe and you didn't know it :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they should bring back the xserve or similar

otherwise your ios build farms have to run on rackmounted macs pro and that is just ridiculous

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i also wouldn't be that surprised if their own internal build farms cross-compiled on linux or solaris and sidestepped the whole problem

apple, historically, wasn't all-osx. maybe that has changed, but i doubt it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Punkbob posted:

I want to say they use/used FreeBSD?

back in the day they were a solaris shop :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RISCy Business posted:

mesos is a centos/rhel thing i think

mesos is dead as gently caress. redhat bet on k8s instead, and even the mesos vendor, mesosphere, is now selling k8s

but yes mesos has been a linux thing from day one

• Locked thread