Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was hilarious, he even says "in the unlikely event the tiger was ever let loose -- now I have no idea how something like that could ever loving happen..."

I was also wondering if maybe the food court scene was meant to imply Lee died of his wounds, but then why include the scene with him working at some specific store? I think Gamby and Lee have just grown apart since then, and Gamby's just wishing that he saw Lee more often, like when they were working together. Sort of a wistful remembrance of their friendship.

I'm also not sure why Lee had to take a job in retail. If they're just sweeping the massive fistfight from last episode under the rug, then Lee was never really disgraced or anything, was he? I thought he just kinda disappeared once Gamby threatened to read his sister's diary. I woulda thought he could have stayed on as principal, or at least transferred to a school where everyone didn't hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I couldn't tell if the lunch table was always empty or not

Or maybe he does have the job but he wouldn't be caught dead in the food court

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

The tiger actually mauled Gamby to death and everything after that is Lee dreaming about Gamby. :v:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

moist turtleneck posted:

It was meant to be literal. Lee was there and he left.

quote:

The relationship between Gamby and Russell, no matter its status, was always the heart of show, which made for an interesting choice when we didn’t get a final conversation between them, instead just this wistful glance across the food court. Why did you go that route?

I’m not sure what the future for Lee and Gamby holds. It was one of those things where their union was brought together by this job, and whether these guys realized it or not, they both did need each other to dig themselves out of this hole that they had gotten themselves into. But for both of them, it’s obvious that they are very bad for each other; bad things happen when these guys are together. So to some extent, the idea that those guys don’t go over and high-five each other is a sign of their growth, they have moved forward and are trying to put together the rest of their lives. Whether that means those guys don’t talk anymore, I’m not sure.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/12/vice-principals-series-finale-postmortem-danny-mcbride/

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dingleberry posted:

Anybody have a screen grab of the tiger standing near the dead trainer with Abbott in the cage?

Not 1080p but here you go, it was a fantastic shot.

I expected more people to jump in and say they thought/knew it was abbot.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Abbot was kind of the obvious choice for awhile. Lee made sense narratively but would have gone against the surprising amount of heart they were able to build in the show. Anyone else was a wild card.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 14, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Man, that Stevie cameo was such a good surprise because it had been at least a season since I expected it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man this was such a fun show :) I know I woulda loved to have seen more of these characters but I'm super happy they decided on 18 episodes, told the story, and ended it the way they wanted to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love Jody Hill’s stuff, and this show was no different. I’m sad it’s over with, but it was really great while it lasted and I hope Hill, McBride and Goggins collaborate again in the future. (With regards to a TV show; I know about the Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter movie)

Lee getting headshotted and then walking around like nothing happened was incredible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I expected more people to jump in and say they thought/knew it was abbot.

I WAS set on Abbot after the episode where they went on spring break, and I posted as much in the thread back then. The only thing that made me wonder if Ray was in on it was this:

The shooter is standing on the curb, but it looks like he's at least Gamby's height, and from that first shot it's pretty clear it's a man, or at least a woman much more slender than Abbot. So Abbot either had an accomplice, or this is a comedy that wasn't trying to put together an airtight murder mystery and might not have settled on Abbot by the end of the first season. Either way, I probably put too much time into this.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They filmed the entire series all at once so I'm pretty sure they intended Abbot to be the killer from the jump.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Well poo poo, really? I was only half-serious posting those pictures, but then was there really an accomplice that shot Gamby?

I suppose its possible they just had some random extra in the mask because they didn't want to leave the internet with a year to analyze those freezeframes and see it was Abbot?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Holy poo poo that was a great finale, gently caress this $25,000 tiger.

Edit: I'm glad Belinda landed okay, also Steve!

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 13, 2017

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Gamby got together with Snodgrass, became a principal, has a good relationship with this daughter and apparently beat up a tiger.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Man, I thought for sure that the last shot of Russell suddenly disappearing in the food court was 100% a sign that he had actually died from his wounds and that the store scene and food court scene were just Gamby was just imagining what Russell could have gone on to do. I thought for sure that this meant were taking a page from the Brendan Fraser in Scrubs playbook and delivering us a brief misdirect before finally hitting us with the bombshell that the character actually died.

And then when they showed the empty bench (which in my mind meant that it was actually a fantasy scene and that Russell was actually dead) I actually got a little bit choked up, even though I knew Russell was a sociopath.

But then I go online and find that the creators have spoken and they actually meant for the scene to be taken completely literally and Russell didn't die, was actually there eating in the food court and then the last shot was just showing the fact that he had got up and physically walked away?

OK....I loved the hell out of this show but surely I can't be the only one who thought that the "Russell is alive and fine and managing a clothing outlet! Now he's messing around with Gamby in the food court!......oh wait.....this was all in Gamby's head and Russell is actually dead" was absolutely brilliant and poignant and meaningful, and then going online and finding out the true ending meant that all of it was to be taken literally was a big letdown.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

My only disappointment is that we didn't get to see the return of that sweet sword cane.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well thread, it's been a wild two seasons, and I'll miss the increasingly ridiculous shooter speculation theories that kept this thread going.

But thank you all that are bad at tv watching and thought Lee was a ghost/vision even after the scene of him pushing around his employee and stealing her smoke break.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

GobiasIndustries posted:

They filmed the entire series all at once so I'm pretty sure they intended Abbot to be the killer from the jump.

Yeah but there was some type of demarcation between seasons because Abbot said she didn't know she was the killer until they started filming season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nah. Apparently Abbot was intended to be a minor character, but they increased her role when they discovered how funny the actress was. Good for her.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Goddamn I’m going to miss these two guys loving everything up. Where am I️ going to get my weekly fill of Walton Goggins?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
That ending was beautiful :(

What a show

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I bet season 3 will involve Stevie getting shot and Abbot becomes the Sideshow Bob of this show

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I bet season 3 will involve Stevie getting shot and Abbot becomes the Sideshow Bob of this show

There is no Season 3. This was conceived as a two-season super-miniseries.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
things change mate

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I didn’t really see it as Russell dying. Too many details with his injured hand, plus that theory just reeks ‘baseless dream theory theory with not enough evidence to back up it being a dream’

E: also put me in the ‘knew it was Abbot as early as the SB episode but with inkling suspicions since the Russell party episode’ group

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Stevie as Gamby's sidekick was a great touch for the finale.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

for a sec I thought that shot at the end in the food court was highlighting the empty table that had no chairs at it at all, hence Lee could never have been sitting there

But then I realized there was an empty chair at a different table in the foreground and that's what the focus was meant to be whoops. Good for Lee Russell, burned down a woman's house, shot in the head, and mauled by a tiger, and still living life

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What was the point of Robin? I don't think he contributed anything to the story whatsoever. He was always just sorta there, being a disinterested stoner kid. And then he got a perfect score in a manipulated test. The end. I guess he gave Christine someone to talk to and some drugs, when she had her breaktrough.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The point of Robin was that Gamby actually gave a poo poo about righting the wrongs in his past and is actually a decent guy without when Lee isn't being a toxic influence in his life.

Robin eventually meeting Christine also kind of kickstarts Lee's downfall.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

"cant cook creole bream" posted:

And then he got a perfect score in a manipulated test.

Well they only needed to correct the ones that were bad, maybe he did good on his own?

People thinking Lee might have died because of the chair and calling out when they "knew" it was abbot are this threads "I acquit". Good bless you all.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nooneofconsequence posted:

Yeah but there was some type of demarcation between seasons because Abbot said she didn't know she was the killer until they started filming season 2.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah. Apparently Abbot was intended to be a minor character, but they increased her role when they discovered how funny the actress was. Good for her.

oh, well egg on my face then! Yeah good for her, Abbot was loving hilarious (and loving terrifying).

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChesterJT posted:

Well they only needed to correct the ones that were bad, maybe he did good on his own?

People thinking Lee might have died because of the chair and calling out when they "knew" it was abbot are this threads "I acquit". Good bless you all.

Eh I mean there are posts going back pages where people were saying they thought it was Abbott, so...?

I mean I even had a post after last week’s episode saying if that was how Russell was revealed it was weak and I still thought it was Abbott

I’ll give you the ghost Lee interpretation is pretty dumb though

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

facebook jihad posted:

Eh I mean there are posts going back pages where people were saying they thought it was Abbott, so...?

It's just a personal pet peeve of mind I can admit it. Any show with a mystery people are throwing out guesses left and right, most of the time with no real proof and then the ones who were wrong stay silent and the ones who guessed it right say they knew it all along. No one knew until it was revealed on the show and there's no prize for guessing right so I never understood the people who rush to message boards to say "I got it right". And now my soapbox is broken, thank you for your time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate i knew it and you ain’t got proof i didn’t

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I'm also not sure why Lee had to take a job in retail. If they're just sweeping the massive fistfight from last episode under the rug, then Lee was never really disgraced or anything, was he? I thought he just kinda disappeared once Gamby threatened to read his sister's diary. I woulda thought he could have stayed on as principal, or at least transferred to a school where everyone didn't hate him.

Lee really was a terrible principal and was always two steps away from being fired. Look at all the times he wasted school funds on dumb rear end poo poo, like a tiger.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I do love that Abbot was such a nothing to even the dude she dated, then shot, then dated again that he never even really considered her a suspect despite all the insane poo poo she'd been doing all season.

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

Called Abbot being the shooter pretty early in the season and have to give credit to Edi Patterson for playing such an excellent crazy person.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Even though I loved the show, it's still crazy that these guys faced basically no repercussions for all the poo poo they did to Belinda Brown. The scene of her doing well feels like a bit of a writer's copout in a "she's fine, so all's well that end's well" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

i am the bird posted:

Even though I loved the show, it's still crazy that these guys faced basically no repercussions for all the poo poo they did to Belinda Brown. The scene of her doing well feels like a bit of a writer's copout in a "she's fine, so all's well that end's well" kind of way.

I see what you're saying and I was thinking that too. At the same time, it's nice to see something subverting expectations.

From a story standpoint, Belinda can't do anything about it. If she did, the video of her gets leaked, and she's hosed. The only ones that know (I think) are Gamby, Russell, and Snodgrass. They have to live their actions, and in the case of Snodgrass, she has live with the fact that her partner did some hosed up poo poo. That will always be hanging there. No matter what good they may do later, it's still there.

• Locked thread