Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
My guess is that somehow Dayshaun was behind the shooting, and it was either a set up so he could have a "hero" moment, or his hero moment was him changing his mind at the last minute after arranging the hit and that's why he's so reticent to accept gifts or praise from Gamby.

Not sure what his motivation would be but it seems like it would make sense, since usually the culprit of these sorts of things ends up being someone that the protagonist never considered as a suspect

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Hmm, probably the weakest ep of the season so far. Both the Sweat Hogs and Russell's sisters were just a little bit too cartoonishly cruel in a way that was a little bit too over the top, even for this show. I'm OK with Gamby and others acting over-the-top because we've spent time with those characters and its been earned, but its a little jarring to suddenly introduce new characters like that and have them behave in such a cartoonishly cruel manner and do things no one could ever get away with.

And during the last few scenes you knew Russell was plotting something, but the reveal of what he did (just breaking a few toy planes) was a little too obvious and too mild to be worth the build up. I realize that the toy smashing was also supposed to represent the fact that his funeral speech was total BS and he actually still feels hatred for his father, but the long build up made me anticipate that maybe he played a long con and had done something far more substantial as a means to get revenge against his sisters.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 9, 2017

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Man, I thought for sure that the last shot of Russell suddenly disappearing in the food court was 100% a sign that he had actually died from his wounds and that the store scene and food court scene were just Gamby was just imagining what Russell could have gone on to do. I thought for sure that this meant were taking a page from the Brendan Fraser in Scrubs playbook and delivering us a brief misdirect before finally hitting us with the bombshell that the character actually died.

And then when they showed the empty bench (which in my mind meant that it was actually a fantasy scene and that Russell was actually dead) I actually got a little bit choked up, even though I knew Russell was a sociopath.

But then I go online and find that the creators have spoken and they actually meant for the scene to be taken completely literally and Russell didn't die, was actually there eating in the food court and then the last shot was just showing the fact that he had got up and physically walked away?

OK....I loved the hell out of this show but surely I can't be the only one who thought that the "Russell is alive and fine and managing a clothing outlet! Now he's messing around with Gamby in the food court!......oh wait.....this was all in Gamby's head and Russell is actually dead" was absolutely brilliant and poignant and meaningful, and then going online and finding out the true ending meant that all of it was to be taken literally was a big letdown.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

ChesterJT posted:

People thinking Lee might have died because of the chair and calling out when they "knew" it was abbot are this threads "I acquit". Good bless you all.

OK in regards to the former, in all fairness I said that's what I INITIALLY THOUGHT - and then I said I was very quickly corrected before I ever posted - I never tried to argue that this is still a potentially valid interpretation. It's not. I'm not trying to be one of those guys arguing that Ward didn't shoot the dog

i am the bird posted:

Even though I loved the show, it's still crazy that these guys faced basically no repercussions for all the poo poo they did to Belinda Brown. The scene of her doing well feels like a bit of a writer's copout in a "she's fine, so all's well that end's well" kind of way.

You're right that Gamby came out ahead, but Russell lost his wife, lost a hand, and is now working in a far shittier mall retail job (and the one thing that he said he gained, his friendship with Gamby, seems to have a great deal of distance and restrain in the coda). I guess none of that is a completely direct result of what he did to her but he's certainly far worse off than before.

• Locked thread