Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The 2017 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE CHALLENGE! has risen from the grave....(Obviously)

Time to celebrate the greatest film genre of all time by overloading on the best it has to offer!

How to Play
-Make a post saying you're going to participate.
-You can choose to set a goal for yourself, you can do an endurance test and just try and see how many you can watch by the deadline, or a mix of both.
-Watch horror movies
-Post about the horror movie you just watched, add a review, general thoughts/impressions, film theories, etc.
-Repeat until the challenge ends.

What do I get out of it?
The personal satisfaction of having watched a lot of great movies in celebration of Halloween, Autumn, and the horror genre! Oh, is that not good enough for you?
Well, okay, then how about PRIZES? Yes, this is going to be the first time (to my knowledge) that the October Horror Challenge will have prizes, including horror-inspired art, movies, and other secrets. As of now, we aren't going to reveal what the prizes are specifically, because we don't want to spoil the surprises. The prizes are available to all USA goons, and our international friends. If you live outside of the USA and win a prize, you will have to pay for shipping. (A special thanks goes out to MacheteZombie for helping me come up with the prizes!)

Rules & FAQs

:siren:When does the challenge begin?
Today, September 15th! You can start right now! The thread is opening early this year because, let's face it, October is a fun and busy month for a lot of people, and we want this thread to have as much participation as possible, so you get a full 6 weeks to participate and meet your challenges.

:siren: When does the challenge end?
November 1st, 8AM (EST)

How do I win a prize?
-The main prize will be a random drawing from participants who watch 31 films or more before the deadline. That said, this is a trust system. Don't be an rear end in a top hat and lie about watching more movies than you really have to steal your chance at a prize.
-There are prizes for goons that go above-and-beyond in this thread. My advice for a chance to win a secret prize: watch a lot of movies, write good reviews, participate and promote discussions (if you're an rear end in a top hat, you'll probably eliminate your chances).
-If you win a prize, you will need to contact me via DM or e-mail (which I will provide when the prizes are given out).

So I can only post reviews?
Please feel free to post about whatever (within reason). You can ask for recommendations, you can recommend, you can discuss/debate, you can go off-topic, etc. Consider this CineD's Halloween thread. I usually go to horror events, special horror screenings, and a few other things, and I like to post about them here. If you want to post your costumes or jack-a-lanterns or your haunted house, go for it.

Can I ask for a wildcard?
Yes, it is encouraged.

What Streaming Service Is Best?
Shudder, hands down. Second to that, Amazon Prime. Netflix has an okay selection.

What movies qualify?
Horror movies,
Halloween movies (yes, even family friendly ones like Hocus Pocus and Ernest Scared Stupid),
thrillers influenced by horror (Silence of the Lambs, for example),
horror anthologies
horror documentaries (Cropsey, The Nightmare) & horror movie documentaries (Never Sleep Again, Best Worst Movie) & Halloween documentaries (The American Scream)
MST3k episodes (as long at they're horror!)
Masters of Horror episodes (but not Tales from the Crypt episodes)

What if I don't fulfill my set goal of (X amount) of movies?
We believe in rewarding those who fulfill the goals, but we won't punish those who fail, unless you willing choose to set up your own :toxx: challenge. (It's happened.)

It's (X) weeks into the challenge, but I just heard about it! Can I still participate?
Absolutely, yes. There is no cut-off to joining the challenge.

Can I post my Letterboxd?
Yes, it's encouraged. You can also post lists of movies you are planning to watch, or whatever else.

What else?
Don't forget to bookmark the thread!
Rate us well so we get that shiny gold thing
Tell as many goons as you want

Can I be an rear end in a top hat?
No. You can disagree or dislike something without being an rear end in a top hat. Horror fans are a very inclusive group (especially in CineD), and we (try to) maintain a chill attitude.

This OP will update throughout the month, so please check in every so often just to see if anything new is going on. Updates will be posted at the top, in bold, with sirens.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What Should I Watch?!

Basebf555 posted:

Pro tip: Shudder is available as an Amazon Prime add-on, and Amazon makes it really simple and easy to subscribe and unsubscribe to the add-on channels. So you can have Shudder this month for like $6, and have access to all the horror you'd need for the whole challenge, and then just cancel it afterwards.

The Horror Thread's STAFF PICKS

Basebf555: |||||CopywrightMMXI: |||||Franchescanado:
Hollismason: |||||HUNDU THE BEAST GOD: |||||Irony.or.Death:
Jedit:|||||Lurdiak: |||||MacheteZombie:
Mysterious frankie: |||||Neo Rasa: |||||Nroo:|||||Tolkein Minority:
Ramadu:|||||SomeJazzyRat:|||||Uncle Boogeyman:
Untrustable:|||||Wizchine:|||||X-RAY PECS:

LURDIAK'S SCREAM STREAM

Watch horror movies with live goon chat every Friday, Saturday and Sunday of October. This year's theme is anthologies.

SHUDDER (there is a lot more, and a lot I haven't seen yet, but this is a good "Best of the best" with a lot of variety)
Anything under "Bava-Thon"
Anything under "Giallo"
Anything under "The Foundations of Horror"

Basket Case
Battle Royale
The Beyond
The Black Cat
The Blood Spattered Bride
Body Melt
The Cat o' Nine Tails
The Church (aka Demons 3)
Contamination
Day of the Dead
The Devil's Backbone
Dead Ringers
Demons
Demons 2
Detention
The Driller Killer
Fright Night
Grabbers
GHOST WATCH
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
He Took His Skin Off For Me (short film)
The Hills Have Eyes
House
The House of the Devil
The House on Sorority Row
Inferno
The Innkeepers
Machete Maidens Unleashed!
Magic
Maniac
Ms. 45
Murder Party
The Mutilator
Night of the Creeps
Noroi
Phantasm
Pieces
Primal Screen
The Prowler
Rabid
Sleepaway Camp
Society
The Stuff
Tourist Trap
Tucker & Dale versus EVIL
Venom
WNUF Halloween Special
Zombie

AMAZON PRIME
The 7th Curse
Alice Sweet Alice
An American Werewolf in London
Bad Taste
The Black Cat ('81; Fulci)
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Bloodrage
Bride of Re-Animator
Bruiser
Carrie
Creature from Black Lake
The Dark
The Dark Half
Dark Water
The Dead Zone
Demon
Gozu
Green Room
Grizzly
Haxan
Hell House LLC
The Innkeepers
Messiah of Evil
Monster Madness: The Gothic Revival of Horror
The Mutilator
Prom Night
PumpkinHead
Rosemary's Baby
Santa Sangre
SAW (series)
Society
Spider Baby
Stage Fright ('89)
Suspiria
The Terror
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (40th Anniversary HD remaster)
Venom
What Have You Done To Solange?
What We Do In The Shadows
The VVitch

NETFLIX
An American Werewolf in London
The Addams Family
Antibirth
The Babadook
Baskin
Deep Blue Sea
Children of the Corn
Coraline
Corpse Bride
Creep
Death Note
Deathgasm
The Eyes of My Mother
Gremlins
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
He Never Died
Housebound
The Host
The Human Centipede
I Am The Pretty Thing Who Lives In The House
The Invitation
It Follows
Jaws
Jaws 2
Jaws 3
Jaws The Revenge
Late Phases
The Legend of Hell House
Little Evil
The Nightmare
Ravenous
Scary Movie 3
Stake Land
Tales of Halloween
The Shining
They Look Like People
Troll Hunter
Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil
VHS 1 & 2
The Void
We Are Still Here
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
The Wraith
XX
Young Frankenstein

IN THEATERS

IT - thread
mother! (Aronofsky's new horror film) - thread
Annabelle: Creation

Movie Lists
The 1,000 Greatest Horror Movies according to They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?
AFI's 100 Thrills
The 100 Greatest Horror Movies according to Slant
50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen
BRAVO's 100 Scariest Movie Moments

Other Resources
coming soon

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 2, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah, you know I'm in. Though as a prize giver in this challenge I'm disqualifying myself from prizes.

Just got easier to win a prize for the rest of you. :getin:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My favorite time of the year...

I tapered out last year way too early because of the Election. In the end its probably for the best as there was too much horror to come in November. This year I really need the escapism and think I can pull this out.

They posting of this thread led me to order Get Out on Amazon and to finally own a copy of my own of Halloween so I don't have to just look for it on cable. So I'll have my Day 1 and Day 31 soon.

Time to go scour the streaming services and my wall of DVDs to compile my list.

I lied, I did that 3 weeks ago. But there might be something new!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've decided to pass on this years challenge, I'm kinda burned out on horror.

Haha just kidding, I'm gonna watch like 70 movies because I have issues.

First up tonight: The Wicker Man :getin:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
There's no way I'll make it to 31 movies, and I don't have a list, but damned if I don't try to watch a bunch of horror movies and fly by the seat of my pants.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Don't know if I'll make it to 31, so I've set an initial list of 13 that I definitely want to get to, all first watches, that I'll hopefully supplement with more:

* The Brood
* Dead Ringers
* Re-Animator
* From Beyond
* The Beyond
* Beyond the Black Rainbow
* Alien3 (Assembly Cut)
* Cronos
* The Devil's Backbone
* Dog Soldiers
* Phase IV
* Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom
* The Vampire Lovers

These aren't in watch order or anything. I'm open to suggestions if there's good double features on that list.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm in. I should be able to hit 31 by October 31. I have the day off today, and I'm already watching Maniac a cop, so looks like that'll be my first entry!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Think I'll do the challenge this year. I don't watch a whole lot of movies anymore but I recently resubscribed to Netflix, so I think I'll just trawl through there for some stuff.

I have somehow watched Hellraiser 3 but not the first two, which are on Netflix and the only ones I ever see people fondly talking about, so I guess I'll watch those first!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm in until I burn myself out. I participated in the May challenge and got some genre fatigue from it, but I'm over that and hopefully the spooky spirit of the season will keep me going. Here's my list of stuff I've not seen (or saw so long ago I can't remember them, like The Invisible Man) that I've been meaning to get to:

https://boxd.it/1d0um

Hopefully I'll get through most of those during this while giving me the freedom to watch whatever nonsense that strikes my fancy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There's a good chance I won't actually hit 31 movies before the end of next month but I'm going to watch as many as I get a chance to, it's been a long time since I've done a horror binge.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I have always wanted to do this and I should have a break from work this October. Plus I signed up for Shudder recently so I have a pretty big list of movies to go through. Gonna have to find time for my traditional Halloween viewing of Hellraiser too.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm planning to celebrate the 30th anniversary of my favorite vampire flick, The Lost Boys, by making my list vampire themed (excluding classics and bonus things I watch every year). Perfect time to start since I'll have all day tomorrow to watch movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I would like to protest the start date so I can include my viewing of It from last night. :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm planning to celebrate the 30th anniversary of my favorite vampire flick, The Lost Boys, by making my list vampire themed (excluding classics and bonus things I watch every year). Perfect time to start since I'll have all day tomorrow to watch movies.

Dracula is probably my all time favorite monster.

Make sure you watch AT LEAST one Hammer Dracula with Christopher Lee, preferably Horror of Dracula, which also stars Peter Cushing.

Also don't sleep on the Frank Langella version(1979), or Herzog's Nosferatu(also 1979).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had an idea last year that I didn't commit to but I want to this year. Like theme my days of the week. The rough ideas I have in my head are like:

- Double Features (Sequels, remakes, that sort of thing)
- Scream Queens (ideally the same actress in multiple films but maybe just two somewhat similar leads)
- Before I Was Born (basically all those classic films I somehow have never seen but know about because they're legendary in the genre)

I try to make this stuff fun and build up to stuff to keep myself invested.

Here is my preliminary compiled list of movies easily available to me that stand out for some reason or another and might make my list.

1. The Void (Netflix)
2. I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in The House (Netflix)
3. Contracted (Netflix)
4. Hellions (Netflix)
5. We Are Still Here (Netflix)
6. At the Devil’s Door (Netflix)
7. Creep (Netflix)
8. The Legend of Hell House (Netflix)
9. The Nightmare (Netflix)
10. Dead Snow (Netflix)
11. WyrmWood (Netflix)
12. Beyond the Gates (Netflix)
13. Little Evil (Netflix)
14. Death Note (Netflix)
15. Hush (Netflix)
16. Extraordinary Tales (Netflix)
17. The Legend of Hell House (Netflix)
18. The Eyes of My Mother (Netflix)
19. Bug (Max Go)
20. The Day The Earth Stood Still (Max Go)
21. Fido (Max Go)
22. Ouija: Origin of Evil (Max Go)
23. Conjuring 2 (HBO Go)
24. Green Inferno (HBO Go)
25. The Other Side of the Door (HBO Go)
26. Sinister 2 (HBO Go)
27. Phantasm 2 (HBO Go)
28. Within (HBO Go)
29. Jaws (Starz)
30. Shallows (Starz)
31. Cat People (Starz)
32. Creature From The Black Lagoon (Starz)
33. Turistas (Starz)
34. The Boy (Showtime Anytime)
35. Halloween (Showtime Anytime)
36. Let Us Prey (Showtime Anytime)
37. Maniac (Showtime Anytime)
38. The Neon Demon (Amazon Prime)
39. Green Room (Amazon Prime)
40. Beyond The Black Rainbow (Amazon Prime)
41. 31 (Amazon Prime)
42. The Girl With All The Gifts (Amazon Prime)
43. Hell House LLC (Amazon Prime)
44. Suspiria (Amazon Prime)
45. Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension (Amazon Prime)
46. Martin (DVD)
47. The Stone Tape (DVD)
48. The Beyond (DVD)
49. Black Swan (DVD)
50. Pan’s Labryinth (DVD)
51. Godzilla [2014] (DVD)
52. King Kong [2005] (DVD)
53. King Kong [1933] (DVD)
54. Let Me In (DVD)
55. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (DVD)
56. Get Out (DVD)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Dracula is probably my all time favorite monster.

Make sure you watch AT LEAST one Hammer Dracula with Christopher Lee, preferably Horror of Dracula, which also stars Peter Cushing.

Also don't sleep on the Frank Langella version(1979), or Herzog's Nosferatu(also 1979).

Horror of Dracula rules. I can't wait to let all that sweet gothic horror wash over me.

I've never see Herzog's Nosferatu but I will certainly rectify that this season.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pro tip: Shudder is available as an Amazon Prime add-on, and Amazon makes it really simple and easy to subscribe and unsubscribe to the add-on channels. So you can have Shudder this month for like $6, and have access to all the horror you'd need for the whole challenge, and then just cancel it afterwards.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I'm in, and if I switch to mostly horror and keep up my recent movie watching pace, 31 should be no problem. I've already got plans to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Suspiria in the theater. There are a lot of classics I haven't seen and I'm open to suggestions. https://boxd.it/1dhae is the watchlist I've made so far and while I'm not much of a writer I'll try to at least get a few thoughts posted for each one. Already rented The Fog, Butterfly Murders, and Candyman 3 this week and I'm home alone with nothing better to do tonight.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's my tentative Halloween setlist:

* for first-time viewing (and/or of a particular version if noted)

Alien (theatrical cut)
Aliens (theatrical cut
Alien 3 (assembly cut)*
Alien: Resurrection*
Dracula (1931 - Spanish version)
Frankenstein (1931)
Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
Ghost of Frankenstein
House of Frankenstein
Creature from the Black Lagoon (3-D)*
M (1931 - British version)*
Vampyr
Eraserhead
Shutter Island*
An American Werewolf in London*
Godzilla, King of the Monsters*
The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye)
The Creep Behind the Camera*
The Creeping Terror*
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1941)*
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2*
GOG*
The Mad Magician (3-D)*
Phantom of the Paradise
The Shining (1980)
King Kong (1933)
Spirited Away
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Doom House
House on Haunted Hill (1959 - it's a Halloween tradition to watch this every Oct 31 :spooky: )

I'm planning on pairing up a lot of the films with spooky short films to add value to my write-ups. I'm planning to start by Sept. 30.

edit: Re-did list entirely.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 18, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Staff Picks posts took longer than I thought. Keep your eyes on the 2nd post, as it WILL be updated as soon as the Scream Stream thread launches, plus I'll add movie marathons I find out about, as well as ALL THE GOOD HORROR MOVIES ON STREAMING SERVICES. (My god, what have I done? :smithicide:)

Here's my Letterboxd

And this is my Letterboxd pull list for the challenge. It's 101 films, with only 9 rewatches. I will be using a randomizer to pick what movies I am going to watch throughout the challenge. I am going to watch at least 31 movies by the end, but really I'm going to watch as many as I can to put you losers to shame.

But seriously, have fun everyone!

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask me in this thread or PM me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched Fright Night. It was really fun. I liked how the main vampire wasn't really a monster, just a typical 80's rear end in a top hat.

Gonna watch Lifeforce.

Recommend Chopping Mall

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Recommend Chopping Mall

Pro-tip: Do a double feature of Death Spa and Chopping Mall for the best night of your life. Invite all friends.

I say this every year, but Fright Night is one of my go-to "80's Horror" movies, and one of the best vampire movies ever made. Everyone should watch it. There's also a documentary out about it now called You're So Cool Brewster

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The thing that got me the last time I watched Fright Night was how gay it was. It's like "double-feature with Freddy's Revenge" gay. It's a hell of a lot of fun, even if the climax is too long.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Only the 80s can deliver a vampire movie where the worst things the vampire does is trash your car and gently caress your girlfriend

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Maniac Cop (1988)

This came out at the tail end of the slasher boom and was overlooked at them time, but it definitely deserves the cult following it's gained since then.

The plot is that a cop is mirdering people in NYC, and another cop (Bruce Campbell) is the main suspect. He needs to prove his innocence and find out who the real killer is.

The main thing that sticks out for me is how well shot this is. The camera angle convey the Maniac Cop as menacing, and are careful never to show his face until the climax. There are some really awesome shots in this movie. The other thing I like is how grimes they make New York seem, and even though we don't get to se much of the city due to budgetary reasons, we know this is not a safe place.

The other interesting aspect is the relationship between the cops and the public when viewed through a 2017 lens. The police are very concerned about how they are perceived, and find it unfathomable that the public could see them as threats. Of course in today's culture many people are skeptical, if not outright fearful of police behaviours and would tend to avoid them.

Overall I think this one is worth watching, especially if you're a fan of slashers. I may try to track down the sequels to this if they're worth watching.

October challenge list
Rewatches (1): Maniac Cop
First time watches:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also as a huge fan of both Lovecraft and Stephen King, In The Mouth of Madness was loving rad. I had fun throughout the whole thing. The ending is fantastic.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 15, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Count me in, this year hopefully I'll be able to complete the challenge

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh poo poo, I've been so excited for this I've been bouncing since July. This is the thing I look forward to every year. Needless to say, I'm IN.

I'm not going to start early regardless of what the OP says, my rules start on the 1st officially. What my personal challenge is is to ironman endurance my way through as many movies I haven't seen before for the month. I'll definitely end up watching more, thanks to tv and like, the Scream Stream and stuff, but if they're repeat views, they do not count for my totals. Last year I hit 62 new-to-me films. I don't keep a plan handy, I just freeball my way through all my sources I have at my disposal (most of which I won't mention here) so my picks end up often being completely random.

As far as warmups go, last week I got to see Suspiria's newly discovered uncut 35mm print in my local art house theater. It's super rad, and the Italian audio track is definitely better. The cut footage isn't ever anything major, but the plot does run a lot more smoothly and coherently imho.

Also in the past two weeks, at the urging of my obsessed girlfriend, I've been spending spare time listening to audiobook versions of the Stephen King Library, with my OCD (Obsessive Chronological Dorkiness) forcing me to start at the earliest stuff and go forward. I just started The Stand today which is going to take for goddamn ever.

And tomorrow I'm going up to Hearsefest in Hell, Michigan, an outdoor mini-festival where people from all over bring up their tricked out hearses to show off, plus there's food and live music, and a bunch of horror/halloween themed vendors. I had a blast last year, and I expect to again tomorrow.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm in.

Gooble gobble

smilingpear
Aug 11, 2009

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm a serial lurker but I get in the horror movie mood starting basically in August so I'm going to try to participate this year! I'm spending the first week of October in Orlando & spending two evenings at Halloween Horror Nights at Universal, so my husband and I have been watching and re-watching some stuff to prepare. We're saving The Shining and Trick R Treat till right before we go, but so far we've watched all three Evil Dead movies and are a little more than halfway through Ash Vs Evil Dead, and I was sick earlier this week and spent the day on the couch watching four Saw movies. I'm still deciding on my October list, but I've been lurking in the horror movie thread for a while and have some choices lined up that I'm pretty excited about!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have to watch a movie for a side project tonight, but after that, I will watch my first horror movie, I Walked With A Zombie (1943) directed by Jacques Tourneur.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm taking notes on the ones I haven't seen.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Everyone must watch House (1977). No exceptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

The power of Blanche compels you!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Of loving course I'm in. Been saving up a bank of movies since mid-august.

https://boxd.it/1cXu4 - my list of films. It is subject to change (adding more movies). I plan on watching in order so tonight is a double feature of The Conjuring 2 and Hellraiser.

Edit: Maybe not those two. I think I need to re-order my list so that my double features better compliment each other. I've not seen but 5 of the 55 movies on my list though. Any horror goon wanna point me in the right direction for appropriate pairings? I plan on double/triple featuring throughout the whole challenge.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 15, 2017

smilingpear
Aug 11, 2009

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sean10mm posted:

Everyone must watch House (1977).

I'm seeing this for the first time next Thursday at the local artsy cinema! Really looking forward to it!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Friday the 13th part III (1982)

This ones mostly known for two things - the 3D and for Jason getting his mask. Unfortunately, I don't have the type of 3D glasses that allows me to appreciate that aspect. A lot of shots are composed for 3D, but they come off as distracting when seen in 2d.

Some of the kills are pretty good, but this movie is pretty generic overall. I can't say I cared too much for many of the characters, and Shelly is probably the least likeable character int this franchise.

And that's enough movie watching for now. Time to watch Canadian football!
October challenge list
Rewatches (2): Maniac Cop, Friday the 13th 3
First time watches:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looking up movies to watch it's pretty crazy that the slasher genre was like beating a dead horse as soon as the early 80s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Looking up movies to watch it's pretty crazy that the slasher genre was like beating a dead horse as soon as the early 80s

Have you seen any Italian horror? That's a good place to go next if you feel like you're out of good American slashers to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If I watch Dr Mabuse, Der Spieler am I allowed to count it as two? It is four and a half hours long.

• Locked thread