Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

If I watch Dr Mabuse, Der Spieler am I allowed to count it as two? It is four and a half hours long.

No, sorry bud. Same with Never Sleep Again and Camp Crystal Lake Memories. That was the rule last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does IT and Mother! Count if they're both new

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Wicker Man(1973)

This film is absolutely terrifying. Be warned, you will not sleep for days after watching it, so be prepared.

Ok, so maybe it's not actually that scary, but The Wicker Man is still one of the best horror movies of all time for a bunch of different reasons. A great horror movie always needs a great soundtrack and this one is probably top-5 of all time. Most people consider it a musical, and I have to agree because somebody is singing something about every 5 minutes. But as ridiculous as it might seem to be in certain moments there's a also a really consistent vibe of creepiness that runs through all of Sgt. Howie's experiences on Summerisle. Especially if you go in blind, which I guess seems unlikely these days.

And it's just a fantastic looking film all around, plenty of great looking shots and amazing scenery.

It's also a film that holds up on repeat viewings even when you know how it ends. The cast of characters is endlessly entertaining, and when you throw in the (self-described)best role Christopher Lee ever played, it never seems to get old.

:Completed: The Wicker Man

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 16, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Also legit question does Serial Mom count

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phi230 posted:

Definitely.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Of course. They're in the second OP even.

Phi230 posted:

Absolutely. I would even consider Female Trouble and Desperate Living.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Filmstruck has Multiple Maniacs listed under horror. :v:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Filmstruck has Multiple Maniacs listed under horror. :v:

Yeah, I'd say so, though it's less horror than the other John Waters mentioned. It's also a movie I would only recommend to people that already like John Waters. It's very rough around the edges. It was one of the most surprising Criterion pick-ups this year.

edit: I'd also considered Harmony Korine's film Trash Humpers to be horror as well, if anyone's willing to take that plunge. MAKE IT MAKE IT DON'T FAKE IT. YEEEEEEEEEW.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 16, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
THIS BEGINS TONIGHT!!! I'm finally in a place and time where I can watch 31 horror movies between now and October 31st!

I'm not setting these to the day because I'm starting now, but this is the order I'll be watching these in. If I finish before the 31st I'll watch some more!

EDIT: Changed my entire list to reflect this:
http://www.graveyardshiftsisters.com/2017/09/watch-31-horror-movies-starring-black.html

So now my list is:

1. Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)
2. Gothika (2003)
3. Sugar Hill (1974)
4. The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)
5. The Blood of Jesus (1941)
6. Abby (1974)
7. Hollows Grove (2014)
8. Old Dracula (1974)
9. Shadow: Dead Riot (2006)
10. Demons (1985)
11. Bones (2001)
12. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
13. Breeders (1986)
14. 28 Days Later (2002)
15. The Invitation (2015)
16. The Ouija Experiment (2011)
17. FirstBorn (2016)
18. Children Of The Corn (2009)
19. The Midnight Hour (1985)
20. Haunting of Cellblock 11 (2014)
21. Vampire's Kiss (1988)
22. Ganja & Hess (1973)
23. Alien vs. Predator (2004)
24. Lord Shango (1975)
25. Beloved (1998)
26. The Supernaturals (1986)
27. Critters 4 (1992)
28. Vampire In Brooklyn (1995)
29. The Leech Woman (1960)
30. Night of the Cobra Woman (1972)
31. Blade (1998)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 27, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm in, obviously. No personal rules this time; I normally insist only new watches count, but I'll probably be traveling the week before Halloween and the thread's up early and catching both The Beyond with live score and the 35 mm Suspiria print so everything is just a giant mess and I'm gonna be chill about it. Also I've been meaning to rewatch Lifeforce for like two full years now so that is definitely happening. Still, should be mostly stuff I haven't seen before and I'm just gonna get through as many as I can.

Also going to watch all the Staff Picks I haven't seen yet, assuming I can find a copy of Fermat's Room.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Basebf555 posted:

The Wicker Man(1973)

This film is absolutely terrifying. Be warned, you will not sleep for days after watching it, so be prepared.

Ok, so maybe it's not actually that scary, but The Wicker Man is still one of the best horror movies of all time for a bunch of different reasons. A great horror movie always needs a great soundtrack and this one is probably top-5 of all time. Most people consider it a musical, and I have to agree because somebody is singing something about every 5 minutes. But as ridiculous as it might seem to be in certain moments there's a also a really consistent vibe of creepiness that runs through all of Sgt. Howie's experiences on Summerisle. Especially if you go in blind, which I guess seems unlikely these days.

And it's just a fantastic looking film all around, plenty of great looking shots and amazing scenery.

It's also a film that holds up on repeat viewings even when you know how it ends. The cast of characters is endlessly entertaining, and when you throw in the (self-described)best role Christopher Lee ever played, it never seems to get old.

:Completed: The Wicker Man

God, I love this film. So much so that I STILL haven't seen the remake. And you're right, even if you know how the movie plays out, the tension and inescapable dread just pull you in tighter and tighter. The director, Robin Hardy, followed up on the film in 2011 with a thematic sequel of The Wicker Tree. It follows some similar ground, and has the same sort of inevitable dread by the end. It's not quite as good as the original by a measure, but it's definitely a sleeper of a film that far too many have missed out on.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Finished movie number one, Hellraiser.

A long time ago, a friend of mine and I were flipping through channels and came on Hellraiser 3. I thought it was goofy as poo poo and had never seen the first two, so I figured they wouldn't be that much better and never got around to watching them (I had read The Hellbound Heart ages ago, too, so I didn't feel a pressing need to see the movie).

I thought this was pretty cool, if a little slow. I was really surprised by how little the Cenobites are in the film, and after nearly three decades of pop culture osmosis, I realized while watching it that I had heard about all of Pinhead's lines in other places first.

It's weird how soap opera-y the whole thing feels with Julia and Frank's relationship and how the movie presents their relationship (and also Julia with Larry), and how violent the other parts of the movie are in contrast with that (the hammer murders, hooked chains, etc.). But I realized after the fact that a lot of Barker's stories (especially Books of Blood stuff) actually have that undercurrent to them.

Frank's resurrection scene is badass, loved the effects work on that and him in general.

I also thought Christopher Young's orchestral score (especially the theme) really lends this sort of epic feel to the proceedings that I was not otherwise expecting.

Going to watch Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 next since everyone says that was the last decent one before all the others.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I'd say so, though it's less horror than the other John Waters mentioned. It's also a movie I would only recommend to people that already like John Waters. It's very rough around the edges. It was one of the most surprising Criterion pick-ups this year.

edit: I'd also considered Harmony Korine's film Trash Humpers to be horror as well, if anyone's willing to take that plunge. MAKE IT MAKE IT DON'T FAKE IT. YEEEEEEEEEW.

I've been meaning to watch trash Humpers so I'll do it, probably not tonight though.

Hopefully I can keep up with it this year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

INFERNO

So first movie of the challenge on my list was Inferno.

Suspiria is one of my favorite movies ever but this one, it's goofy and fun but it crosses a line to me from "dreamlike" to "incoherent." And I LOVE fever dream Italian flicks. We learn about how the witch in Suspiria was the Mother of Sighs, one of the "Three Mothers" who are evil manipulative women that are very powerful. There are some fun kill scenes in this movie, but also a weird incoherence to the lighting, like this feels like it was made by someone who loved the look of Suspiria on a superficial level, but it was directed by Argento himself so I don't know. It also does this thing where multiple main characters are killed off in rapid succession and the film feels glacial for a while as we basically spend a lot of time with a bunch of new characters that we can already tell don't matter. Overall it's fun stuff with some very goofy/awesome twists towards the end (and an incredible money shot as the true villain reveals themself) but there's so little going on that it's hard to recommend when you could just watch Suspiria instead.

One thing that's really interesting about this though is that you can see a kind of sort of germination of what would become Phenomena with its slow burn researching in the first act and regular use of animals as messengers of death.

Argento eventually did a third movie to deal with third of the Three Mothers though, Mother of Tears (2007). It is absolutely horrible though. :P

I have one stupid question about Inferno. At the end of Suspiria the witch's illusions don't quite work and she gets stabbed, her death throes basically cause the entire place to ignite and be consumed by flame. In this movie though, the Mother of Darkness reveals that the Three Mothers are actually all aspects of death itself, in a limp compressed version of Suspiria's "living dead" ending fakeout. She busts through a mirror and becomes a tall grim reaper figure, it would make an incredible gif and the build up to it is awesome too. But like, she reveals that she is death (or it's an illusion, whatever), and, burns her own building down? And she's just sort of standing in the front doorway looking triumphant as police and emergency personel are showing up. Like, what was the endgame here?

Also folks leery of animal cruelty might want to avoid it due to a scene involving a large number of cats just straight up being thrown at someone in rapid succession. Also at one point and actor picks up a cat by the scruff of their neck but is a horrible person and is holding htem like literally by the skin on their back and briefly by their head, like what the gently caress man a child can pick up a cat by the scruff of their neck successfully.

Bruteman posted:

I also thought Christopher Young's orchestral score (especially the theme) really lends this sort of epic feel to the proceedings that I was not otherwise expecting.

You are very very much in for a treat with Hellbound: Hellraiser II because Christopher Young's score for that is very similar to the original but with a bigger budget and orchestra. Awesome movie as it's basically Hellraiser but bigger, better, I love it. Hellraiser III is so bad because the producers decided they wanted Pinhead to be like Freddy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

INFERNO

I have one stupid question about Inferno. At the end of Suspiria the witch's illusions don't quite work and she gets stabbed, her death throes basically cause the entire place to ignite and be consumed by flame. In this movie though, the Mother of Darkness reveals that the Three Mothers are actually all aspects of death itself, in a limp compressed version of Suspiria's "living dead" ending fakeout. She busts through a mirror and becomes a tall grim reaper figure, it would make an incredible gif and the build up to it is awesome too. But like, she reveals that she is death (or it's an illusion, whatever), and, burns her own building down? And she's just sort of standing in the front doorway looking triumphant as police and emergency personel are showing up. Like, what was the endgame here?

My thoughts: Death can't ever truly be defeated, so an incarnation of death is no different. The witch starts the fire to start a new cycle, like a phoenix dies in a fire to be reborn from the ashes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
here's a list of pretty much every Horror and/or Halloween adjacent film I own, as well as the movies I watched for the previous two attempts at this challenge;

VHS Format

The Fly
Night of The Comet
Young Frankenstein
The Frighteners
It's Grinch Night
Army of Darkness

DVD/Blu-Ray Format

Shin Godzilla
Gamera(Showa Series)*
Gamera(Heisei Trilogy)*
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Shuten Doji*
King Kong Escapes*
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari*
Donnie Darko
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Wolfen*
Bad Moon*
Coma*
Beetlejuice
The Animation Show(2 or 3 shorts qualify)
Scary Movie
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters 2
Horror of Dracula
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave
Taste The Blood of Dracula
Dracula AD 1972*
Godzilla Final Wars
Dark City
Alien*
Aliens*
Alien 3*
Gojira/Godzilla: King of The Monsters
Bowery At Midnight*
Beast From Haunted Cave*
Condemned To Live*
Creature From Haunted Sea*
The Beast of Yucca Flats*
The Corpse Vanishes*
Giant From The Unknown*
The Monster Maker*

Movies From Previous Challenges

Monster Squad
Halloween III: Season of The Witch
The Stuff
Cybernetics Guardian
Reanimator
Cloverfield
An American Werewolf In London
The House On Haunted Hill

*movie I haven't seen yet

not entirely sure how many of these films I'll watch as part of the Challenge though, also someone needs to tell Shudder to either hurry up and make a PS4 app or allow accounts with them to be linked with the VRV service like Crunchyroll

also feel free to point out whether any of the movies I listed that I haven't watched yet are any good or not

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

^^^Cabinet of Dr Caligari is good and has one of the better scripts of its era. All the surviving early European horror is gorgeous. Everyone should watch at least one. The Phantom Carriage leans more dark fantasy than horror but I love double exposure ghosts.

Caligari was a pioneer in :spooky: geometry.

Carriage blu-ray is great.

I'm in for 31 movies.

Watched Christine last night. It isn't scary but it never devolves into a farce. This is not the evil convertible from SPOILER. The effects and stunts are really good. Carpenter only did it because he needed money but he did not half rear end it at all. There are a bunch of great shots of headlights in the dark.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Butterfly Murders - A Tsui Hark directed wuxia horror mystery with killer butterflies. There is a deadly fire crow. If that's not enough to sell you on it I don't know what else to say really. The sort of movie where the low quality dvd and bad translation enhance the experience. I feel like ideal viewing circumstances would be at a young age with your buds and nobody knows where the VHS came from.

Candyman: Day of the Dead - The second one was not great, but watchable. This is straight loving garbage. It's just a rehash of the first two, but worse in every way and more boobs.

Bruteman posted:

A long time ago, a friend of mine and I were flipping through channels and came on Hellraiser 3. I thought it was goofy as poo poo and had never seen the first two, so I figured they wouldn't be that much better and never got around to watching them (I had read The Hellbound Heart ages ago, too, so I didn't feel a pressing need to see the movie).
One of the things that made the Hellraiser sequels so tiring in my opinion is that they are all 100% serious all the time. Even Hellraiser 3 which in my memory has the most goofy poo poo in it, it's all played super straight. The movies get so bad and they never even break for a second to have a laugh or even the tiniest bit of self-awareness. The Motorhead song and video for Hellraiser 3 was pretty good though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4FG1UXH5w

Total: 2
Butterly Murders, Candyman: Day of the Dead
Letterboxd list

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just finished movie number 1: The Conjuring 2.

I loved the first conjuring but I felt like this movie leaned super heavily on jump scares. I mean almost every scene was a setup for something jumping at the screen. It does at least 5 of the, pan from character to empty space, pan back and jumpscare bits.

I also really miss the quasi-sepia tone that the first movie was shot in or post processed in and in its place you are provided with the standard horror movie blue filter. Also a weird musical segment in the middle of the movie that I found really out of place.

I liked it, don't get me wrong, but now it feels like they have to shoehorn in random ghosts/demons (The Nun, The Crooked Man) to up the spinoff appeal. In conclusion I was disappointed but didn't hate it. This will probably be the only time I watch it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I am in. I've never done one of these before, so I'm not going to set myself a target. If I watch 10, I'll be happy.

This is the first time I've participated in a CineD challenge, so I'm not familiar with some of the stuff from the OP. What's a wildcard? What's Letterboxed used for?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Never attempted a seasonal movie challenge before, but have been super into the idea of giving it a shot this year. Nothing fancy, just attempting the standard 31 movies challenge starting in October (or maybe somewhat earlier, I'll play it by ear) with a mix of stuff I know and love and stuff I haven't seen before (though still largely mainstream stuff I've only started really getting into horror in more recent years and am admittedly not the biggest horror buff in the world).

Also, question: Do miniseries count so long as they fit the theme? Been itching to rewatch Over the Garden Wall as of late and it totally fits the bill for this thread otherwise.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 16, 2017

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finished movie #2: Hellraiser. It's one of the 5 or so movies on my 65+ movie list that I've actually seen. The practical effects still hold up and are general good and creepy with one exception: Kirsty fighting the cenobite monster for the puzzle box which just looks like a slap fight with a wet pool noodle. My wife had never seen it and enjoyed it as well. So much so that I've added Hellraiser 2 to the list for tomorrow.

Watched: The Conjuring 2, Hellraiser.

Also for Arivia. Letterboxd is a great free site for tracking and reviewing movies you've seen as well as for building watchlists. It has a mobile app now but the app, so far as I can tell, doesn't allow you to edit your lists.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Cool, thanks Untrustable.

I just watched Green Room for my first movie. I think it counts, I'm bad at distinguishing horror and thrillers sometimes but people were talking about it in the horror thread. I'll post some thoughts tomorrow but I'm in bed alone, it's pitch black and I'm watching the movie on my phone. Just as a gunshot goes off in the film, something long and slimy drops from the ceiling onto me. I grab it, squeeze it hopefully to death, throw it away from me and against the wall, pause the movie and spend a minute freaking the gently caress out before turning the movie back on. It was probably just a centipede, but gently caress.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

First time doing this, I'm in for 31. Here's my pull list with 50 movies so far. I've only really gotten into horror over the last year or so so all of these apart from The Shining will be first time watches (yes, I have not seen Halloween or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre before). The Shining is on there because its a theatre screening as are TCM(!), Nosferatu & Battle Royale and hopefully some more that are announced over the next few weeks. The rest of the list consists of some movies that have been on my watchlist for a while now, some horror thread recommendations , some by directors I have not seen any movies from before (Whale, Browning, Castle, Martino and shamefully, Tobe Hooper), at least one Universal / Hammer / Troma movie, the obligatory Carpenter / Craven / Romero / Argento & Fulci slots, plus some other random stuff that looked cool and was available.

Since I don't have access to shudder, my local netflix selection is quite limited and I'm a cheapskate who doesn't want to pay for rentals, I will mostly watch stuff on youtube. Because I watch everything on my TV and only want to watch stuff in HD, I decided to make a list of horror movies on youtube that are available in HD to make things easier for myself. Turns out there are a lot of movies on there in high quality ranging from absolute classics to some very cool obscure stuff. Since it's youtube who knows how long any of these stay up but for anyone still looking for something to watch, here's a list of 200 HD movies anybody can watch for free!

30 Days of Night
A Blade in the Dark / La casa con la scala nel buio
A Bucket of Blood
All the Colors of the Dark / Tutti I Colori Del Buio
Angel Heart
Angst
April Fool's Day
At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul / À Meia-Noite Levarei Sua Alma
Black Belly of the Tarantula / La tarantola dal ventre nero
Blood and Black Lace / Sei donne per l'assassino
Blood Sucking Freaks / The Incredible Torture Show
Bloody Birthday
Blue Velvet (hardcoded spanish subs)
Body Bags
Brain Damage
Braindead / Dead Alive
Bride of Re-Animator
Burnt Offerings
Cannibal Holocaust
Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter
Carnival of Souls
Children of the Corn
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
Chopping Mall
Christmas Evil / You Better Watch Out
City of the Living Dead / Paura nella città dei morti viventi
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Countess Dracula
Creepshow 2
Curtains
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari
Dawn of the Dead
Dead of Night / Deathdream
Dead Ringers
Death Proof
Deep Red / Profondo rosso
Dementia 13
Demons / Dèmoni
Don't Go in the House
Don't Torture a Duckling / Non si Sevizia un Paperino
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Duel
Eaten Alive
Eden Lake
Evilspeak
Eyes Without a Face / Les yeux sans visage
Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage
Friday the 13th / II / III / IV (each in multiple parts)
Fright Night Part 2
Frogs
Galaxy of Terror
Ginger Snaps
Grindhouse
Halloween
Hatchet for the Honeymoon / Il Rosso Segno Della Follia
Häxan
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Hitch-Hike / Autostop rosso sangue
Horror Express
Hour of the Wolf / Vargtimmen
House (1985)
House on Haunted Hill
Humanoids from the Deep
I Drink Your Blood
I Saw the Devil / Akmareul boatda
I Spit on Your Grave / Day of the Woman
In the Mouth of Madness
Inferno
Intruder
Invaders from Mars
Just Before Dawn
Last Stop on the Night Train / L'ultimo treno della notte
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie / Non Si Deve Profanare Il Sonno Dei Morti
Leviathan
Long Weekend
M
Madman
Maniac
Maniac / Sex Maniac
Maniac Cop
Maniac Cop 2
Messiah of Evil
Microwave Massacre
Ms. 45
Night of the Demons
Night of the Living Dead
Night Train to Terror
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens
Patrick
Phantasm
Phenomena
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Pieces / Mil gritos tiene la noche
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Planet of the Vampires / Terrore nello spazio
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Prom Night
Psychomania
Pumpkinhead
Q - The Winged Serpent
Rabid
Re-Animator
Seven Blood-Stained Orchids / Sette orchidee macchiate di rosso
Severance
Shivers
Shock / Schock / Beyond the Door II
Shock Waves
Silent Night, Bloody Night / Night of the Dark Full Moon
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Sleepaway Camp
Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers
Slugs / Slugs, muerte viscosa
Spasmo
Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told
Squirm
Stage Fright / Deliria
Street Trash
Strip Nude for Your Killer / Nude per l'assassino
Subspecies
Suspiria
Tales from the Crypt
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
Tenebre
TerrorVision
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Babadook
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage / L'Uccello Dalle Piume di Cristallo
The Blood on Satan's Claw
The Boogens
The Brain That Wouldn't Die
The Brood
The Burning
The Case of the Bloody Iris / Perché quelle strane gocce di sangue sul corpo di Jennifer?
The Case of the Scorpion's Tail / La coda dello scorpione
The Church / La chiesa
The City of the Dead
The Curse of the Doll People / Muñecos infernales
The Descent
The Devil's Rain
The Dorm That Dripped Blood
The Driller Killer
The Gate
The Golem / Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam
The Hills Have Eyes
The House by the Cemetery / Quella villa accanto al cimitero
The House with Laughing Windows / La Casa Dalle Finestre Che Ridono
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Killer Must Kill Again / L'assassino è costretto ad uccidere ancora
The Last Man on Earth
The Little Shop of Horrors
The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog
The Lost World
The Mutilator
The New York Ripper / Lo squartatore di New York
The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave / La notte che Evelyn uscì dalla tomba
The Old Dark House
The Omen
The Perfume of the Lady in Black / Il Profumo Della Signora in Nero
The Phantom of the Opera
The Pit
The Psychic / Sette note in nero
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times / La dama rossa uccide sette volte
The Sixth Sense
The Slumber Party Massacre
The Spiral Staircase
The Stepfather
The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh / Lo Strano Vizio della Signora Wardh
The Stuff
The Tomb of Ligeia
The Toxic Avenger
The Vampire Bat
The Vampire Lovers
The Vault of Horror
The Wizard of Gore
Theatre of Blood
Tombs of the Blind Dead / La Noche del Terror Ciego
Torso / I Corpi Presentano Tracce di Violenza Carnale
Tourist Trap
Trick or Treat
Trilogy of Terror
Twitch of the Death Nerve / A Bay of Blood / Reazione a Catena
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders / Valerie a týden divu
Vampyr
Visiting Hours
Warlock
What Have You Done to Solange? / Cosa Avete Fatto a Solange?
White Zombie
Who Saw Her Die? / Chi l'ha vista morire?
Witchboard
Witchfinder General
X: The Unknown
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key / Il Tuo Vizio è Una Stanza Chiusa e Solo Io Ne Ho La Chiave
Zombi 2 / Zombie Flesh Eaters / Zombie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

This is the first time I've participated in a CineD challenge, so I'm not familiar with some of the stuff from the OP. What's a wildcard? What's Letterboxed used for?

If you would like someone to pick a movie for you, it's a wildcard.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The first movie of my marathon since I could watch it at work.

1. The Night Flier (1997)

I was about ten when this first came out, which was about the time I saw it as well. I also remember the poster in the video store a lot and thinking it was pretty cool. But as an adult its uh... wow that bat shadow under the plane huh?

This was overall pretty ok if not a bit boring at times. Miguel Ferrer is killing the role of a loner, rear end in a top hat reporter and is probably my favorite thing about the movie other than the design of the Night Flier when you eventually see it (which in motion looks totally different than the poster).

They weren't afraid to show some fairly competent gore for what felt like a really cheap movie and even surprised me showing bloody, dead children in a scene. I could be wrong but I don't feel like imagery like that comes up too often. Also it being a Stephen King adaptation there are no shortage of references to his other work like the original departure point of the Night Flier being Derry, Main. I've personally never read the short story this was adapted from but Wikipedia tells me it deviates in some ways.

I would actually say it's a better movie than I remember as a kid since I probably couldn't appreciate some of the not so subtle subtext and worth checking out if you're a huge fan of the vampire genre or King's work

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#1: Near Dark (1987)

What's really cool about this movie, I think, is that the characters being vampires is almost unnecessary. With a few small tweaks you could make the same movie and have it be a bunch of run-of-the-mill murdering scumbags. It really captures that unique feeling you get when you start sobering up and you realize the party you're at isn't really the kind of party you're comfortable with. I want to rewatch The Lost Boys since it came out the same year, and I remember it being more fantasy wish fulfillment than this movie. At no point are you really envious of the main character in Near Dark, he's in a hosed up situation from jump. Well I guess I'm envious that he gets to hang out with Bill Paxton -even though he's playing a murderous psycho in this.

Have ya heard the one about Buffalo Bill?

Awesome movie. 9/10

Arivia posted:

Cool, thanks Untrustable.

I just watched Green Room for my first movie. I think it counts, I'm bad at distinguishing horror and thrillers sometimes but people were talking about it in the horror thread. I'll post some thoughts tomorrow but I'm in bed alone, it's pitch black and I'm watching the movie on my phone. Just as a gunshot goes off in the film, something long and slimy drops from the ceiling onto me. I grab it, squeeze it hopefully to death, throw it away from me and against the wall, pause the movie and spend a minute freaking the gently caress out before turning the movie back on. It was probably just a centipede, but gently caress.

There's no way Green Room doesn't count, you can tell it counts because it scared you even when you were watching it on your phone. I love Green Room.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Green Room is definitely a horror movie. It makes Nazis equally terrifying, despicable, and idiotic. Such a tense movie with sickening gore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Last nights double feature with The Wicker Man was....

Deadly Blessing

I've been slowly going through all of Craven's work over the past few years because if I'm being honest he's not really a favorite director of mine. Deadly Blessing is certainly a competently made film, and I enjoyed it, but it felt like there was something missing.

It has one hell of an ending and I haven't decided yet if it was the good kind of dumb or the bad kind, but I think the film would have benefited from a bit more of that craziness. As it is the main draw is Ernest Borgnine chewing scenery and an extremely young Sharon Stone.

Of course, since this is early 80s Wes Craven you also get Michael Berryman, which is nice, but his exit was a bit too early for my taste.

So all in all a decently entertaining film that doesn't overstay its welcome, but in the end was not totally satisfying the way some of Craven's more developed work is(Nightmare, Hills).

Today is a Peter Cushing double feature of Night Creatures and Shock Waves.

Completed:The Wicker Man, Deadly Blessing

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 16, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just done the last of my shopping for this. You may not think everything I watch is a horror movie either, but remember the words of House Jedit - "We Give No Fucks".

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Stake Land (2010)

This is one that's stayed unwatched for quite a while because at the time I thought it was going to be some Zombieland cash in but with vampires. It took some friends telling me it was actually pretty decent to finally get me on board and place it on my Vampire Marathon list.

I can say that it was totally not what I expected and completely awesome. I can't remember the last rear end kicking vampire movie I had seen (other than Blade), but it was probably John Carpenter's: Vampires (still yet to come in this marathon). The post apocalypse vibe I think was overshadowed by a real western feel to everything with the music and a lot of character's looks which I was very ok with. It was also nice the movie didn't bother explaining a whole lot about the past and too many details about exactly how governments crumbled that can bog down or eat up too much time in movies like this (while writing this I'm finding out there were webisode prequels to the movie that I'll have to check out). It was also nice to see more decent people just trying to make it and rebuild society portrayed as opposed to nothing but murderous nihilists.

This was a great watch if not maybe a little longer than it had to be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Maniac Cop (1988)

This came out at the tail end of the slasher boom and was overlooked at them time, but it definitely deserves the cult following it's gained since then.

The plot is that a cop is mirdering people in NYC, and another cop (Bruce Campbell) is the main suspect. He needs to prove his innocence and find out who the real killer is.

The main thing that sticks out for me is how well shot this is. The camera angle convey the Maniac Cop as menacing, and are careful never to show his face until the climax. There are some really awesome shots in this movie. The other thing I like is how grimes they make New York seem, and even though we don't get to se much of the city due to budgetary reasons, we know this is not a safe place.

The other interesting aspect is the relationship between the cops and the public when viewed through a 2017 lens. The police are very concerned about how they are perceived, and find it unfathomable that the public could see them as threats. Of course in today's culture many people are skeptical, if not outright fearful of police behaviours and would tend to avoid them.

Overall I think this one is worth watching, especially if you're a fan of slashers. I may try to track down the sequels to this if they're worth watching.

October challenge list
Rewatches (1): Maniac Cop
First time watches:

Maniac Cop 2 is a great mid-budget action movie, up there with the original Terminator.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#1: Beyond the Black Rainbow

Sorry, y'all, I didn't like this one at all. I was extremely hype going into it, after a lot of praise from CineD, but it ended up being one of the dullest, longest-feeling movies I've ever seen. The sound design, cinematography, lighting, and atmosphere are all impeccable, but I just couldn't care about what they were actually contributing to the movie, because everything was so slow and drawn out. I won't begrudge anyone who loves this movie, I just can't handle movies this slow with such little happening. I'll throw this in my "Unfortunately dislike" pile along with Robert Altman

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yay, my favorite annual thread! I'm in with my usual minimum 31 movies in October. At least one film or handful of short format items per day, as is tradition. I'll add three more for September to make a total 34 minimum. List to come but I will hold myself to watching everything on the spring challenge thread I'd crashed on when overtime went nuts. List to come when I have a spare minute.

TheKingslayer posted:

Stake Land (2010)

The second one is a step down but still worth a watch.

E: Anyone have a link to last year's thread? I want to make sure I don't schedule accidental re-watches and see if anything was missed that I should tuck into this year's.

E2: This is me reminding myself to make a Letterboxd list as I had done last season.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 16, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Maniac Cop 2 is a great mid-budget action movie, up there with the original Terminator.

But with better music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDpzGiP-PrU

Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence isn't nearly as good, but it has some fun moments and a decent final chase/death of the Maniac Cop. It has a great moment at the very end where the hero lights a cigarette with the Maniac Cop's severed burning arm.

Plus all three Maniac Cop films have really really good soundtracks. Almost to a Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time level of disparity of how the hell does THIS movie have music this good?! Except unlike Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time the Maniac Cop films are actually cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrBEZqJ_9HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWeAiIZDPI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCOw0PDDt3I

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 16, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

1. The Boxer's Omen - Hell yeah Shaw Brothers horror. How could you go wrong? You couldn't. A gangster's brother is paralyzed in a boxing match and then some monk starts hassling him via astral projection about how they have to talk. Then a bunch of black magic with extremely rad special effects. There's a skeleton bat mallet chase. There's an evil wizard crawling on the ceiling and a guy coughs up an eel and then there's a magical duel. Everything about this rules and I don't think you have a better option if you want some extremely hardcore evil wizarding. Pictured below: an innocent skeleton bat longing for freedom.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK I'm in. Been on a Horror kick lately, lemme get what I just watched onto the screen here for an early NaNoWriMo-style gallop.

I'm on Criticker not Letterboxd: https://www.criticker.com/profile/Weyland/

Midnight Meat Train

This is a grisly little film that did a really good job telling a personal story, despite its wide scope. Light on the jump scares, heavy on the fake blood, and Vinnie Jones is (as usual) a fantastic heavy. What struck me is just how small the film ended up being. More proof that even horror movies that involve globe-spanning consequences can still just live in a space where your girlfriend and your agent being split open for meat can be a great tale.

IT (2017)
What more needs to be said? It's a near-perfect version of a story that's been described as "unfilmable." I loved the tonal whiplash when the movie goes from The Sandlot to Nightmare on Elm Street in the blink of an eye. And the dialog is some of the best, most naturalistic kids talking I've ever heard in a movie. Just fantastic.

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Speaking of, I rewatched this to make sure I hated it, and boy golly do I hate it a lot. There's so much that's regrettable - they try for a "is Freddy an innocent victim, come to get his righteous vengeance" for way too long without successfully making the audience believe it. A Freddy who was angrier might have done the trick, but Haley seems to want to live in the New Nightmare Freddy rather than NoES 1's scary-but-flippant killer. Also, bonus negative points for literally not having a black person in the film, not even as a cop or a drug store worker or any other extra. Just, Springwood so white.

SAW: The Final Chapter
Finally got around to seeing the last SAW, it isn't very good, and I don't quite understand what even was happening. If you weren't 100% invested in SAW and had a working knowledge of the lore, this movie is completely unapproachable. The dumb-as-rocks script doesn't help; I distinctly recall that the "stay there, don't touch anything" line was said like nine times by White Cop to Black Cop, as if they weren't both cops. Just bizarre, bad filmmaking.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

3. Nosferatu: The Vampyre

This was just a treat. Klaus Kinski comes off as a complete inhuman creep and it owns. The lighting is complete on point and the everything is shot beautifully. I have no idea why it took me so long to finally see this since I love the more monstrous takes on the vampire myth, but it delivered on all the positive reviews and recommendations people had given me. Basebf555, thank you for reminding me about this one. Also a bonus, it's on Shudder!

I will end this post with one of my favorite shots from the movie. It's simple but, I loved it.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Count me in! I always set up lofty expectations of what I want to do (I've never actually made it through a film/a day like I hope), would like to make a better effort of getting into the spirit this year.

https://letterboxd.com/warez_tx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As before, my rule for myself is one movie a day only in October. No early peeks in September! So even though I just got back from watching It, it doesn't count for my total. And all films I haven't seen before, though these days the list of horror films I'm interested in and haven't seen is getting really, really short.

Worse for me, I'm insanely busy these days with several days a week having pretty heavy time crunches. So doing it will be a true challenge. I'm still in though.

My secret weapon is Kanopy streaming, a service for colleges and universities that has things like recent indie films, a ton of international films that don't have strong distribution in the US, and the bulk of the Criterion collection (though I've now watched pretty much all of horror film selections there). One thing they have is a pretty hefty amount of Italian horror and even though I've bounced off of it pretty hard in the past, I'm going to have to dig into some of the big films there in a way that I haven't before.

From previous years, I'm still looking for more films by Nobuo Nakagawa (I think I've seen almost everything that has translated into English except The Snake Woman, but if there are more films translated I want to see them) and Den' Gneva, the second of two horror films produced in the Soviet Union which as far as I know has had a translated version air on TCM once and is completely unavailable otherwise.

Irony.or.Death posted:

1. The Boxer's Omen - Hell yeah Shaw Brothers horror. How could you go wrong?

I watched Mr. Vampire last year and that was a fun change of pace. I may toss this one on my list.

• Locked thread