Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Random Stranger posted:

My secret weapon is Kanopy streaming, a service for colleges and universities that has things like recent indie films, a ton of international films that don't have strong distribution in the US, and the bulk of the Criterion collection (though I've now watched pretty much all of horror film selections there). One thing they have is a pretty hefty amount of Italian horror and even though I've bounced off of it pretty hard in the past, I'm going to have to dig into some of the big films there in a way that I haven't before.

Oh, woah, I didn't know this existed (and my university is enrolled with it, sweet!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

warez posted:

Oh, woah, I didn't know this existed (and my university is enrolled with it, sweet!).

Watch Kuroneko, it's fantastic and hardly anybody has seen it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

4. 30 Days of Night (2007)

This movie was loooooooong. Probably a lot longer than it had any right to be. I can't say I enjoyed it too much once the credits rolled. There were a few pretty great scenes and good ideas in play but it's not enough to fill the run time and the vampires are so terribly inconsistent as far as their abilities from scene to scene. I would have also liked to see some of the vampires have character other than, "bald guy who screeches" and "lady that screeches". Then end of the movie was also a big bunch of bullshit and felt very weak to me. But if you're going to have such a long run time I don't need that many more scenes of random characters getting killed or the vampires laying poor traps or failing to trap areas the characters would obviously go, there was a lot that could have just been cut, I felt.

Kinda sucks the worst movie I've watched in this marathon is also the longest.

5. Bloodsucking Cinema

An ok little documentary talking about vampire flicks. They got Wes Craven, Joel Schumacher, John Landis and others to give some opinions on vampire cinema through the years. The focus was largely on more modern things though, like Bloodrayne, Underworld, 30 Days of Night :bang: and projects the speakers worked on. It's easy enough to find on YouTube and not the worst way to spend an hour.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I Walked With A Zombie
1943, dir. Jacques Tournuer

This isn't a traditional flesh-eating zombie film. Violence, action, and gruesome reveals are almost non-existent. This film is all subtle dread and atmosphere.

Tournuer is an eclectic director, having made sci-fi, comedies, westerns, and noir (especially Out of the Past, one of the best of the genre). He is also well known for the horror movies Curse of the Demon and Cat People. If you've seen the latter, you know what to expect with the tone of this film. The noir influence is blatant: the movie begins with the main character's narration of her past (even saying the titular line), the use of shadows, the cinematography...

The main character, Betsy, has been hired as a nurse in the care of a catatonic woman, who' is referred to as a zombie regularly. She moves like vampire, looks like a ghost. Betsy asks Dr. Maxwell, the woman's doctor, "What is a zombie?" Dr. Maxwell says, "A ghost, the living dead...A sleepwalker who will never wake." Wesley and his business partner Paul find the whole thing ridiculous, and their reputation has suffered throughout the Caribbean island they live on.

Betsy becomes obsessed with wanting to cure her patient, and beings asking the island locals about answers. They say the zombies themselves are products of "voodoo hoodoo", and that is the only way to cure someone. Wesley doesn't want to find a cure and refuses to acknowledge superstitions, and also begins to fall in love with Betsy.

Those who have seen Tournuer's other films know they are somewhat indescribable. They are visually and tonally intriguing, and the plots are mysterious. While I enjoy the other films I've mentioned in this write-up more than I Walked With A Zombie, it still a strong film, and deserves it's positions on many of the "Best of Horror" lists I've come across. It's not seen or discussed as often as it should.

:zombie::zombie::zombie: / 5

"I Walked With A Zombie" by Roky Erikson

Movies Watched
NEW: I Walked With A Zombie
REWATCH:
TOTAL: 1

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 16, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#2: Dead Awake (2016)

I don't mind a low budget or a slow burn in a horror movie, in fact I kind of prefer them, but there's no real payoff here. All the scares and monsters feel borrowed, and the subject matter just reminds you of movies that did it better. The script makes it seem like whoever wrote it knows what sleep paralysis is like, but the opportunity for capturing nightmare imagery and insomnia felt wasted to me. Near Dark was way more dreamlike than this movie, and this movies explicitly about dreaming. It also doesn't help that the plot's dumb and down right arbitrary at times.

2/10

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Two more stinkers for the pile:

Phantasm

Oh no, an old man and his pack of Jawas are taking our corpses!
An interminable movie where nothing happens, the creepy grownup with a skullet who still drives an Ice Cream truck and hangs out with his friend's 13-year-old brother is NOT the bad guy somehow, and incredibly overrated effects. Just awful, no idea how anyone thought this was good ever, much less in 1979.

Demons (1985)

Essentially a tech reel for Lamberto Bava, it's just got silly gore effects. Thing is, if I don't care about the characters, and you aren't shooting any of the gore-stuff in a cool and interesting way, it's as interesting and compelling as a guided tour through Stan Winston's creature shop. It also ends about 5 minutes too late; the rooftop reveal was all we needed, not some random gunbunny race into the night ending. I did appreciate the blind film fan named Herzog who calls attention to the inherent spirituality of the movie theater.

Movies Watched:Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 17, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Time to dive into the Staff Picks I haven't already seen, because I owe it to the horror thread even if a bunch of them are weirdos who like Lake Mungo.

2. The Reflecting Skin - A rural kid's life sucks. Seems competently executed and there were one or two scenes I kind of liked, but overall a disappointment. I am just not capable of caring about either children or dying rural communities which doesn't leave a whole lot here to connect with. The dialogue was occasionally excellent, though, and I can easily see why someone who was into the setting or major themes would love it.

3. Don't Deliver Us From Evil - Best friends at a catholic school decide to go all in on Satan and have a series of wacky evil adventures, like letting some guy's cows out. There weren't any real standout shots but the camerawork was sort of low-key interesting all the way through, lots of unusual angles. Overall sort of an odd mix of goofy fun and mellow, subdued atmosphere. I think maybe it was going for gloomy more than mellow, but whatever the original goal was I enjoyed the end result.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1: Schalcken the Painter (1979)

Following on from the series of adaptations of MR James's ghost stories, the Beeb decided for whatever reason that a good follow-up would be a faux docudrama based on a Sheridan Le Fanu story about an obscure Flemish painter and the nightmarish man who buys the hand of the woman he loves. It's got a surprising amount of sexual content for a late 70s TV production, but it's all presented as utterly devoid of passion. The film itself plays like an arts history programme that veers off into disturbing hallucinations before dragging itself back on track again. Probably the weirdest thing the BBC ever commissioned for Christmas.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Two more stinkers for the pile:

Phantasm

Oh no, an old man and his pack of Jawas are taking our corpses!
An interminable movie where nothing happens, the creepy grownup with a skullet who still drives an Ice Cream truck and hangs out with his friend's 13-year-old brother is NOT the bad guy somehow, and incredibly overrated effects. Just awful, no idea how anyone thought this was good ever, much less in 1979.

Demons (1985)

Essentially a tech reel for Lamberto Bava, it's just got silly gore effects. Thing is, if I don't care about the characters, and you aren't shooting any of the gore-stuff in a cool and interesting way, it's as interesting and compelling as a guided tour through Stan Winston's creature shop. It also ends about 5 minutes too late; the rooftop reveal was all we needed, not some random gunbunny race into the night ending. I did appreciate the blind film fan named Herzog who calls attention to the inherent spirituality of the movie theater.

Movies Watched:Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons

Sorry friend, but we're fighting to the death at dawn.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Sorry friend, but we're fighting to the death at dawn.
Are you defending Phantasm or Demons? Because Demons was fun but inoffensive. Phantasm made me want my time back, it stole my afternoon from me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Are you defending Phantasm or Demons? Because Demons was fun but inoffensive. Phantasm made me want my time back, it stole my afternoon from me.

They're for sure defending both.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Definitely both, but Demons is one of the most fun horror movies of all time. It has Chekov's motorcycle and punks snorting coke out of Coke cans while listening to Billy Idol. The gore effects are great and the nightmare-like logic keeps everything tense.

Phantasm is one of the films I'm most excited to revisit this challenge.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Definitely both, but Demons is one of the most fun horror movies of all time. It has Chekov's motorcycle and punks snorting coke out of Coke cans while listening to Billy Idol. The gore effects are great and the nightmare-like logic keeps everything tense.

Phantasm is one of the films I'm most excited to revisit this challenge.

Oh well Demons was super-fun, just not exactly good.

Phantasm can die in a fire, though. It isn't scary, it doesn't make sense, it commits the cardinal sin of being incredibly boring for the first 45 minutes, and then has the loving gall to play the "it was all a dream" card at the end. And Skullet-Ice Cream Man... what was even happening?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Movie #1: mother!

Wild and intense, it's a breakneck tour through the most dysfunctional possible relationship, and I loved it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I enjoyed doing this last year and attempting to do it the year before.

Here's my current list, my rules are the movies I watch I have to not have seen before and I put all the choices up on a wheel and make it choose for me. I might have multiple wheels up based on subgenres this year, I'll see how it goes once I actually start creating the wheel.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Oh well Demons was super-fun, just not exactly good.

Phantasm can die in a fire, though. It isn't scary, it doesn't make sense, it commits the cardinal sin of being incredibly boring for the first 45 minutes, and then has the loving gall to play the "it was all a dream" card at the end. And Skullet-Ice Cream Man... what was even happening?

note to self: Dr. Angela Ziegler has monstrously bad opinions, and should never ever be consulted for movie taste again.

(phantasm is a fantastic movie, and you should feel bad)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Well somehow I've never seen Phantasm before, so that's going on my list for the month. My list is going to half be "ashamed being an '80s kid and didn't watch all of the iconic stuff from those years" and half "ooh hey new shiny stuff."

2. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

(don't know why I'm putting up spoiler blocks for a 30-year-old movie but I guess it's in case someone else watches for the first time)

Well. I think overall the first movie ends up being the stronger one compared to this because the first has the one major plotline and sticks to it (Julia helping Frank) until the end when the Cenobites show up. Hellbound does the cool sequel thing of "hey that stuff that was neat in the first film? Let's expand on it!" by going to the Cenobite realm, but I felt like it was a little too ambitious because it introduces stuff and tosses it/forgets it like five minutes later, likely due to budget or other constraints (it looks like they wanted people back for the sequel they couldn't get, like Andrew Robinson?)

The gore is effective and there was more than one scene here that made me wince (the guy cutting himself up on Julia's mattress, Channard's transformation, etc.). Continued to have great makeup FX with Julia, I love how they spend most of the time before she gets her skin back dressed in white clothes/bandages, it's creepy as poo poo. Overall I thought her character was more fun this time around. The hell imagery is great, the whole Leviathan thing is right up my alley, etc.

But that's also where I feel like it starts coming apart at the seams Kirsty doing the "I know the real you is still in there!" stuff with the Cenobites was cheesy, them immediately turning on Channard was cheesy, that whole loving fight that could have been awesome being over in like 20 SECONDS was a huge cocktease, loving "hey it's Frank! whoops, bye Frank!", Kirsty wearing Julia's skin :laffo: that loving pillar coming out of the mattress at the end Yeah. Like individually each of those things had potential but that's a sequel for you. Glad I watched it but it's too bad they couldn't do what they clearly wanted to do with it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Even though I was kinda lovely at the May version of this thread, I'm throwing down on this thread. I'm going to do at least 31.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay. 1: Green Room.

This movie honestly surprised me. I heard Anton Yelchin, Patrick Stewart, and neo-nazi music clubhouse and thought it would be a lot more gonzo than it was. I was expecting tons of blood, murderous dances, and people getting murdered ten at a time, all set to a punk/metal soundtrack. Of course, I did get all of that - just in very different ways and doses than I expected. It was a very tense, slow burner with nice peaks and valleys. And I give it credit, I thought the whole thing was done for many times before it actually was. The gore was really interesting - it's effective and the special effects part of it is good - but it wasn't very impactful, I felt. The camera doesn't dwell on anything gory long enough for it to really get to you - but then again I'm still thinking of the main character's cut up arm and the shotgun blast to the head a day later

It was very tense, very psychologically thrilling. I'd heard a lot of credit for Stewart's role in this, and I was completely wrong about why. I thought he was going to be a villainous monster - and he is, but he's cold and calculating and very much a mastermind instead of being directly scary. His acting is very good though - I'm used to seeing him as Professor Xavier, or Captain Picard, where he just eats up the screen. Here he's a lot more understated, and it works really well. I think it works well psychologically - the movie is as much about the descent its characters make as anything else, and Yelchin's "This is all completely hosed up." in the last scene really shows how narrowly they succeeded by. A little less luck, no turnaround from the bouncer, and they would have been dead.

So yeah, I'd recommend this. Just don't be like me - go in preparing for a slow, psychological thriller instead of something straight out murderous like its punk or metal influences. Those are still in though, and with some fun appearances - check out the credits at the end!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Bruteman posted:

(don't know why I'm putting up spoiler blocks for a 30-year-old movie but I guess it's in case someone else watches for the first time)

Hey good on ya'. My wife and I just started this and I've only seen parts of it so I'd be bummed if I accidentally spoiled it for myself. Also I'm watching all 5 Phamtasm movies this marathon and expect to be very...entertained? I loved the first one but have never seen any of the sequels but I hear they range from ok to so bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh, before I forget, do either or both of 8mm or Army of Darkness count for the challenge? (I imagine Evil Dead 2 definitely does.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arivia posted:

Oh, before I forget, do either or both of 8mm or Army of Darkness count for the challenge? (I imagine Evil Dead 2 definitely does.)

hopefully, much like I'm assuming my first movie qualifies;

#1:Young Frankenstein

I'm sure almost everyone in this thread has seen this movie before, it's my favorite Mel Brooks movie, and in my opinion one of the absolute funniest movies I've ever seen, it's also probably one of the best takes on the Frankenstein mythos to be done outside of the Universal or Hammer versions, one of my favorite things about it is how the titular Frankenstein of this movie, Frederick Frankenstein spends the entire movie fighting against his family's legacy in one form or another, at first by denying his grandfather's accomplishments and even his family's name(by changing the pronunciation), yet even once he's accepted his grandfather's work and decides to replicate it and embracing his heritage as a Frankenstein(by finally accepting the proper way of saying it) he still ends up rejecting some of how his grandfather worked by using love and affection to tame his creation, ultimately risking his life so that the Creature can truly become a man

:science: :science: :science: :science: :science: out of five

also I have a headcanon that the student pestering Frederick at the start of the movie is a young Herbert West, just because it feels appropriate

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie 3: Hellbound: Hellraiser 2.

This movie pissed me off. Not because it was bad or anything, but because the sound mix was so bad. I had to crank the volume to hear dialogue, which made the sound effects and music loving deafening. Other than that it's definitely a good follow-up to the original with once again really good practical effects. I liked getting to see the cenobite realm and Frank's weird personal hell. I could have done without the dumb "Remember who you are Cenobites"! Bit at the end though.

3 down.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

8mm is a "thriller" which I think counts.

As far as Army of Darkness, I believe comedy horrors still count in all aspects. If the subject is spoopy then it's fair game.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
8mm, Army of Darkness, and Young Frankenstein count.

All horror movies, thrillers with enough horror influence, horror comedies , horror documentaries, documentaries about the horror genre, halloween movies, documentaries about Halloween and correlating events involving Halloween, horror-related things longer than an hour count

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

4. Patchwork - As the horror thread promised, this one takes a premise that could have gone very badly and knocks it out of the park. Solid soundtrack and some really great performances, especially from the leads' body and the surgeon. Highly recommended for anyone who wishes we had more than three Re-Animator movies, which should be pretty much everyone in the world.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Franchescanado posted:

8mm, Army of Darkness, and Young Frankenstein count.

All horror movies, thrillers with enough horror influence, horror comedies , horror documentaries, documentaries about the horror genre, halloween movies, documentaries about Halloween and correlating events involving Halloween, horror-related things longer than an hour count

good to know, shame that length qualifier disqualifies what was to be my second entry Cybernetics Guardian(which as others might remember I watched as part of the previous two attempts at this challenge I did) as it's only about 38 minutes not counting credits, or Halloween Is Grinch Night/It's Grinch Night which I was going to watch later on as well as it's only about 25 minutes in length, or indeed several other short subjects I was going to cover as well during this challenge(guess I'll be pushing ahead the 2-3 Scooby Doo movies I own ahead of when I was planning on watching them)

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie 4: Train to Busan

Kind of like a Korean mish-mash of 28 Days Later and World War Z but on a train. It has some pretty heavy poo poo going on in between all the zombie stuff and it's a must watch if you're looking for something new-ish in a zombie movie. Also made my wife cry.

4 down.

Edit: Just finished Patchwork, the most hidden gem of Netflix horror. It is amazing all the way through and you should all add it to your list.

5 down.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 17, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had kind of a similar negative opinion of Phantasm when I watched it last year. I didn't dislike it as much Dr. Angela and really appreciated the erry dreamlike horror of it that freaks me out, as well as the personal story of grief underneath it all... but it didn't really come together for me as a movie.

I'm thinking of subscribing to Shudder and watching the Remastered version one night along with Phantasm II. It was in one of those middle grounds where I can justify a rewatch just to see if I like it or not because I'm not entirely sure.

As usual I won't count anything until October 1st but its early and I'll probably watch some rewatches or low expectation ones over the next couple of weeks to ramp up. Because this thread is really getting me in the mood.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

Is it a movie? Would a Blockbuster employee possibly shelve it under "horror"? If the answer to each of those is yes, then it definitely counts.

Alternatively, accept that horror is ambiguous as a genre and the only thing that really matters is if you feel a movie should count since nobody is going to call you out on not really watching a horror film. "I'm sorry, that film is actually scifi/adventure and not horror. You are hereby disqualified from the horror movie challenge. Turn in your badge and gun." And if you're watching 31 movies (or going completely nuts like some of the posters here and shooting for significantly more) then you need some variety to break things up, anyway.

Untrustable posted:

Movie 4: Train to Busan

Kind of like a Korean mish-mash of 28 Days Later and World War Z but on a train. It has some pretty heavy poo poo going on in between all the zombie stuff and it's a must watch if you're looking for something new-ish in a zombie movie. Also made my wife cry.

My reaction to Train to Busan was that while it was well made, it was also pretty much bog standard zombie movie with effectively nothing new it was bringing to the genre.

Also, pregnant women can apparently run a lot better than I thought they could. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 17, 2017

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I had kind of a similar negative opinion of Phantasm when I watched it last year. I didn't dislike it as much Dr. Angela and really appreciated the erry dreamlike horror of it that freaks me out, as well as the personal story of grief underneath it all... but it didn't really come together for me as a movie.

I'm thinking of subscribing to Shudder and watching the Remastered version one night along with Phantasm II. It was in one of those middle grounds where I can justify a rewatch just to see if I like it or not because I'm not entirely sure.

As usual I won't count anything until October 1st but its early and I'll probably watch some rewatches or low expectation ones over the next couple of weeks to ramp up. Because this thread is really getting me in the mood.

Best of luck finding Phantasm 2. Shudder has every one except that one. HBO GO has Phantasm 2 I think. That's where I was planning on watching it anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its on my long list because its on one of the cable streaming services. HBO sounds right. It makes my short list by setting it up as a double feature with the first film.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Mortuary (2005)

This is a movie Tobe Hooper directed later in his career, and unfortunately it's not very good.

Hooper's contributions to the horror genre are undeniable, as he made some of the greatest horror movies of all time in the 70s and 80s. He has a style that blends amazing characters and social commentary and he knows how to build a sense of fear and dread in his movies. This film, however, come off as a direct to video movie that could have been directed by anyone.

This movie is about a woman who moves her family across the country to take a job as a mortician. Her workplace, and house, is in the cemetery itself. The house is filthy and covered in mold and eventually the gravesite gets disturbed and the mold turns people into zombies.

There's shades of Reanimator and The House by the Cemetary in this one, but it's nowhere near as stylish as those two movies. The biggest mistake this movie makes is that the house/cemetary/mausoleum doesn't end up making a good set piece. There's very little sense of geography and everything looks fairly generic.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this one unless you're a Hooper compeltionist.
October challenge list
Rewatches (2): Maniac Cop, Friday the 13th 3
First time watches (1): Mortuary

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bruteman posted:

Well somehow I've never seen Phantasm before, so that's going on my list for the month. My list is going to half be "ashamed being an '80s kid and didn't watch all of the iconic stuff from those years" and half "ooh hey new shiny stuff."

Well. I think overall the first movie ends up being the stronger one compared to this because the first has the one major plotline and sticks to it (Julia helping Frank) until the end when the Cenobites show up. Hellbound does the cool sequel thing of "hey that stuff that was neat in the first film? Let's expand on it!" by going to the Cenobite realm, but I felt like it was a little too ambitious because it introduces stuff and tosses it/forgets it like five minutes later, likely due to budget or other constraints (it looks like they wanted people back for the sequel they couldn't get, like Andrew Robinson?)

The gore is effective and there was more than one scene here that made me wince (the guy cutting himself up on Julia's mattress, Channard's transformation, etc.). Continued to have great makeup FX with Julia, I love how they spend most of the time before she gets her skin back dressed in white clothes/bandages, it's creepy as poo poo. Overall I thought her character was more fun this time around. The hell imagery is great, the whole Leviathan thing is right up my alley, etc.

But that's also where I feel like it starts coming apart at the seams Kirsty doing the "I know the real you is still in there!" stuff with the Cenobites was cheesy, them immediately turning on Channard was cheesy, that whole loving fight that could have been awesome being over in like 20 SECONDS was a huge cocktease, loving "hey it's Frank! whoops, bye Frank!", Kirsty wearing Julia's skin :laffo: that loving pillar coming out of the mattress at the end Yeah. Like individually each of those things had potential but that's a sequel for you. Glad I watched it but it's too bad they couldn't do what they clearly wanted to do with it.

Something interesting about Hellbound is that it was rushed out, they actually started making it before Hellraiser was even widely released because of the surprise success of that movie's screenings/etc. And like you said you can see how it's ambitious but doesn't go far enough in some areas because of that. But on top of that, part of why the fight and some other bits feel so cut back is because they started it making it so soon they didn't realize Pinhead was going to become the iconic thing people associated with the movie/series. So they made Hellbound with the idea that Julia was going to be the recurring otherworldly big bad if they made more of them. Then with Hellraiser III they went in the opposite direction so hard with wanting Pinhead to be more like Freddy Krueger that they made one of the dumbest movies ever, but still worth a watch for a laugh at its idiotic script and dumb new cenobites and incredibly bad digital. I want to say it was also Terry Farrell's first starring role and she was rad on Deep Space Nine but laughably bad here.

Hellraiser is a franchise that was basically never handled right the minute the second movie came out and it became a franchise. I still love Hellbound a lot but oh my God the sequels are so bad. And it's stupid too because we've been in an age for the past decade where you can make some serious $$$ with an R rated horror movie, but they pissed away any goodwill the name had with fifteen years worth of z-grade direct to video bullshit.

That part when the guy cuts himself really is gross, I don't know why that one particular effect does it but it just felt super convincing to me and grosses me out an time I've seen the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 17, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#3: Noroi (2005)

I'm not sure how I avoided this one so long. It's long, and probably has one too many climaxes, but the switching between regular found footage, news coverage, TV shows and interview segments keeps it from getting boring. It also has plenty of lore in it (historians looking at scrolls to learn about the demon, etc.) which I'm a sucker for no matter how cliched it is. Are the other mockmentaries by the director as good as this?

Also this part is pretty weird:

7/10

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

2: Demon Under Glass (2002)

Picked this up a little while back because it stars Jason Carter from Babylon 5, and man the copy I have is bad quality. It looks like someone recorded it off TV onto VHS then had it transferred onto DVD. Even Schalcken the Painter looked better, and that was made for TV 23 years earlier.

But enough moaning. The movie centres on the scientific and medical study of a captured vampire, complete with ethical judgements in all directions. I don't really want to go into more detail because it moves in a couple of surprising directions. It's zero budget and most of the acting is fairly blah, but Carter carries it with some moments of flashing brilliance. The particular highlight is when project head Dr Basset has discovered that junior doctor Joe McKay has the genetic marker that allows someone to become a vampire and gives McKay to Molinar to turn. As Molinar stalks McKay around the room he says "Do you play chess?" The eagerness that Carter puts into the line conveys a very well concealed loneliness, and that Molinar isn't happy to turn McKay because he is evil but simply because he wants someone to share eternity with and hopes they share an interest. Definitely worth looking at if you get the chance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Lake Mungo and The Blackcoat's Daughter today

might rewatch the The VVitch

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I guess I'll do this. Horror movies freak me out so I tend to avoid them, so I'll barrel through all the classics I've missed like Evil Dead and Phantasm. Goal: a bunch of movies??

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I started watching exclusively horror a few weeks ago cause it's all I've been in the mood for, though I've been on a work trip so arriving back yesterday I went and saw the new It in theaters finally. So we can start my challenge there. I won't set a goal or come up with a specific list cause I prefer to just see how things play out. So to start:

1. It (2017)

Saw this as a 10 p.m. show in a sold out AMC theater packed with teens. It was actually great to hear the audience get legitimately scared by many of the jumps, before laughing at the fact that the movie just legit terrified them. Hell, it got me jumping a few times. I just watched the original TV film a few weeks back and I was appalled at how lousy it is, whereas this film despite some faults carries a real weight and isolation about itself, carefully laying down its themes. It's got some immensely effective shadow play, and even sound effects. In the mid-film scene when Bill chases Georgie through his house the scuttering of the figure feels and sounds so much like Georgie as we see him running in the opening scene, the way we can recognize which of our family is coming up or down the stairs just by the unique vibrations we sense. The specter of Georgie is such a powerfully executed character, in many ways he reminds me of Donald Sutherland's visions of his "daughter" in Don't Look Now, a tiny figure escaping around corners.

"We all float down here" also takes on so much resonance when we see floating as a stasis, a soul frozen between life and death -- the agony of the families whose children are "missing" but never "dead" just as it is the souls of the children abused and never allowed to grow up.

Watched: It (2017) (Total: 1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Untrustable posted:

Best of luck finding Phantasm 2. Shudder has every one except that one. HBO GO has Phantasm 2 I think. That's where I was planning on watching it anyway.

Yeah, it seems to me that that one has some hinkey ownership issues, and it took forever to get a release beyond VHS at all. It also has a different actor playing Mike, which is kinda weird.

• Locked thread