Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Franchescanado posted:

There's at least 5 adaptations of Carrie and I have no idea which one you saw, but that is a poster for the musical and not the 1976 Brian De Palma directed classic

:thejoke:

But yeah, I'll do an actual effort post since I'm no longer up at 3 in the morning, being blackmailed by internet jerks with black magic to watch horror movies.

35. Carrie (1976)

Considering all I've heard about this film, I can definitely say this is the most second Brian De Palma film I've ever seen. But yeah, I can't dispute this film's place as a classic of the genre. It's incredibly disturbing in it's depiction of parental abuse and teen girl cruelty. And like I theorised, the loony, madcap style of Phantom of the Paradise didn't make it's way to this film. But the amazing shot composition and use of colour shines through, especially in the infamous prom scene. I only wish I actually saw it in HD, as I had to catch it on a shady Russian youtube knockoff cause some of us aren't made of money. The way the teens are portrayed feels fairly traditional, but I can imagine that at the time it might've been fairly influential. The film where all other films took their archetypes from.

But yeah, Sissy Spacek is both the star of the film literally and metaphorically. Carrying the film, she masterfully conveys that confusion and constant heartbreak of the lonely kid. And it was a surprise to see Piper Laurie in this film who I only really recognised by name, and not by her looks and performance. Her character as Carrie's Mother and the role she would eventually play as Catherine Martell on Twin Peaks could have been similar performances, both being super controlling bastards. But she does such a good job tapping into their different pathos that they're both unrecognisable from one another, for the most part.

But yeah, I do get the criticism that De Palma will never stop shoving in the fact that he wants you to know that he's seen Hitchcock films. In this case, it's the unnecessary use of the Psycho strings when Carrie uses her powers. And neither is he one for subtlety or ambiguity, letting you know what's going on explicitly. Between the grandeur, the style, and the kinda unambitious storytelling, I can get a sense of how he eventually developed an uneven reputation for making 'campy' films. But for this film, it works with the life-or-death, Mean Girls-style drama of high school, and the tense horror atmosphere that benefits from plenty of set up. So yeah, an undisputed classic of the medium, one that I imagine plenty of other people have made much more poignant writings about.

You can watch it here, but yeah expect something low quality.

36. The Shining (1980)

I still think Kubrick faked the moon landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A bit busy to do the write-ups currently, and likely for the rest of the night (though I do still intend to do them mind you), but I just wanted to get it on the record before the deadline that I just crossed the 31 movie threshold with Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, The Blair Witch Project, and The Exorcist.

Movies Watched (31): It, Werewolf (MST3K), Army of Darkness, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride, Paranorman, Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Shining, Room 237, Teenagers from Outer Space (MST3K), Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Cannibal! The Musical, Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Psycho, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, The Descent, The Giant Gila Monster (MST3K), Over the Garden Wall, Get Out, Don't Breathe, Green Room, Battle Royale, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, The Blair Witch Project, The Exorcist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What’s Halloween without The Return of the Living Dead? One of my bigger regrets from this countdown is that I didn’t rewatch many films. Early on I tried to get one in earlier in the day every day while I was doing stuff but eventually time and sports really took that time and all my focus went to new watches. Especially in the last couple of weeks when I was behind on the 31 years and had to focus very keenly on them. I don’t regret that but there’s a lot of classics I love that I didn’t watch this month that I almost always do. But what can you do? Still, I got one of the absolute most Halloween films in, at least what I think of as Halloween. A big part of that is that I have vivid memories if sneaking out of bed and hiding behind the couch to watch this movie when I was a kid and my parents were watching it, and the zombies really freaking me out, my dad catching me, and sending me off to bed. Its a cherished memory for me as someone who lost his dad young and I think the first horror memory I have and maybe the beginning of my love for the genre. Which is probably why I very weirdly suggested it to a poster as a movie to watch with your kid. Which is a dumb idea, but I got emotions, man.

Also I’m pretty sure it was my first boobies.

As Basebf555 said the thing I always forget about it is how genuinely scary and horrific it is. You think of it as a funny movie or the “BRAINS!” movie or the music or Linnea Quigley being a confusing kind of hot. And even when you think of the horror its the big stuff like the tar zombie or the half zombie on the examination table. But its other stuff that really caught my attention this time around. The way poo poo gets so scary and intense when the poo poo hits the fan and the dead start rising. Freddy’s transformation as he froths at the mouth screaming for Tina’s brains. Frank sneaking away to cremate himself before he turns fully into a brain craving zombie. There really is so much to it. Its odd, I’m never quite prepared to call this one of my favorites for some reason… but its hard to understand why when I watch it every year and have so much I love about it.

Also, what the hell was Burt doing in that place that he was so scared of calling the cops?

46 (58). Bride of Re-Animator (1989)

The mad scientists escaped to Peru where they perfected their science and they return home to explore the reaches of life and death in new and really loving weird ways.

“Do I like Lovecraft?” has been a low key subplot of my marathon and I wanted to revisit that again. I wanted to watch From Beyond but I couldn’t find whatever copy I thought I had of it. I gave this one a try instead. I’ll say the one thing I definitely like about Lovecraft. The idea of “horror” is really captured in his stories in a mad, “what the gently caress is happening?” kind of way. How in the 3rd act its not just our heroes confronting the evil but its just people trapped half mad in a waking nightmare of crazy horror. Zombies roaming the backyard, absurd monstrous creations of a mad scientist, and winged decapitated heads just roaming around in a way that would drive a sane person crazy all on their own. There’s no rest or calm or chance to catch your breath or way to get this back to normal. The world’s just gone mad.

As a movie it actually felt a lot more “normal” than I remember Re-Animator being. Kind of a basic Frankenstein story of a mad scientist with no limits and a potential hero who just gradually loses his grasp on reality in grief. All the absurd side stuff of West experimenting with bizarre creations out of seeming boredom and the wacky adventures of Dr. Hill’s Head would almost feel perfunctory if they didn’t set up the pure madness of the final act. I’m not sure how much I enjoyed it or would put it in my list of favorites (which is how I vaguely remember feeling about the original) but it was a solid Halloween watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that there's no rush to get in write-ups tonight.

The thread will still be open tomorrow, and I'll allow write-ups/reviews/logs until :siren: 3PM EST :siren:. That's later than the original time set in the OP, but I'd rather everyone be able to watch their movies and enjoy their Halloween celebrations. Take the time to write in more reviews tomorrow. This will also give some people more time to meet the goal and increase their chances of winning a prize!

Speaking of Prizes, tomorrow when we cut off entries, I'll list the prize categories. It'll take a little longer to announce who's actually won them, so please keep following the thread so you don't miss out!

Time for sentimentalities and dedications:

I believe this has been the best year for the October Horror Challenge since I've been a SA member--in participation, reviews, Halloween spirit, and even quality of movies people are watching. I'm not sure without looking, but usually this thread reaches about 30 pages, and we'll be well past 50 by the time this thing's over.

This is my favorite thread every year, not because I "moderate" it (it's quite a lot of work, especially with prizes), not because Halloween is my favorite holiday (it is), and not because I love horror (I do), but because of everyone's effort in watching the movies, reviewing them, and sharing them with each other. So I want to send out a sincere thanks to everyone that participated.

I also want to thank everyone in the horror thread for the Staff Picks, some of which became new favorites for me. I hope others were able to find some new favorites as well! (If I missed anyone's Staff Picks, I apologize.)

I think a big shout it is also deserved for Lurdiak for hosting Scream Stream again this year. It takes a lot of work, and it's a huge dedication to spend every weekend for an entire month curating and hosting films for a bunch of drunk goons, but it's always a great time and it's the secret life blood for a lot of people's October Challenge. This year's theme of anthologies has been my favorite that I've participated in. I know tonight's stream has already started, but I'm currently stuck at work (wasting company money writing this up). If you missed it, it's not to late to check it out. I know Lurdiak likes to throw in surprises on Halloween proper.

Another shout-out goes to MacheteZombie for taking the time to help me plan out (and pay for) the prizes for the thread and letting me share my anxieties over work entailed. He'll claim he didn't do much, but that's a lie, he definitely deserves the mention.

If there's anyone else I missed, I'm sorry. Thank you.

Happy Halloween!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

And I'd like to thank you right back, and a special thanks to what appears to be a werewolf driving a car.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm a worewilf

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

37. Saw II (2005)
Well, the rest of this series was on Netflix, so I though 'what the hell, I'll try it.' Conceptually, I can understand the impulse to expand the trap-games of the first movie to a big group, but man, it just does not work, and the blame for that is split between the writing and acting. Virtually all of the characters, even the ones not stuck in the trap-house, feel painfully flat. In retrospect, this seem to be where the hard-on for end-linked phrases starts getting really heavy, and the painting of Jigsaw as an omniscient morality arbiter starts escalating. I sarcastically blurted out the character-linking reveal about half an hour before the movie unveiled it, but I'm not proud of that, just depressed that I spent time watching this dumpage.
2/5

38. Saw III (2006)
So then I went on to this one. An improvement over the last one, largely because it trims down the number of characters to something the screenwriters could handle. The melodrama is a lot higher, though, and trying to understand character reasoning will give you a headache if you try to apply logic or continuity to it. Felt like the writer got more inspired with the traps, and having a 'hero' victim to follow through the gauntlet helped the structuring quite a bit. The twist reveals were fitted together more effectively, too, though the predictive abilities attributed to Jigsaw (even with later entries' additions) are still cartoonish. Second best in the series, by my tastes.
3/5

39. R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly: One Night in Doom House (2016)
Hey, something to make Vampire Dog look good! The third in a series of feature-length spin-offs from a kid's TV series, and the only piece of the franchise I've seen. Basic YA thing, with a kid having ghosts in his house that only he can see, and with whom he's made friends. But then Danny Trejo(!) sends his demon nephew after them to ensure world domination, and most of the movie turns into following a MacGuffin around after Jamie Kennedy's character gets possessed. Very little Doom House, but they did find time for a school dance contest. A teenager gets turned into a pig, there's a genuinely nightmarish ten-second shot of a swirling void, and the girlfriend's friend has some genuinely funny lines and delivery for her five minutes on-screen (I'm more than half-convinced that was due to ad-libbing). Extremely skippable.
2/5

40. 13 Demons (2016)
Mazes & Monsters, but with cursing and killing! A pair of stoners are brought a copy of a banned fantasy board game by their friend, it hypnotizes them with smells, and then they start killing people they believe to be demons. About 40 to 60% of the movie is the characters sitting around the table, playing and arguing, then the next big chunk of material is in the form of filter-treated footage of them dressed as knights staring down demonic silhouettes against a swirling background. The conclusion is a five-minute exchange of the lines "It's a game!" and "It's not a game!" in various forms. We only get to see the players doing their fighting (well, actually just goading someone into fighting) outside of the hallucinations for one scene.

And despite all that, I kind of liked it. It reminds me of Brainscan; inarguably bad, but touching on enough true elements of gamer dorks to make it a little endearing. I mean, I don't know anyone who would voluntarily play the NES version of Dragon's Lair like one of these guys is in his intro scene, but the attitude and vernacular were pretty apt. And the game did seem fun, even though there's no explanation of why it's hypnotizing people to kill. But the ending is basically a non-ending, and that (along with the lengthy two-phrase exchange preceding it) clips off most of the good will built up by earlier parts of the film. A shame, but there is some enjoyably over-the-top acting to be had.
2/5

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Time to post stuff about horror movies, been lazy and just haven't posted about them as I watched them.

11. The Blob, good horror classic. I like how the kid explains that they just want to see a horror movie where a bunch of teens get hacked up but there's no sex or anything. I liked when that kid dies to the blob. I also like evil black scientist man.
12. Evil Dead 2, I watched this again to help remember why I didn't like it. The whole movie is pretty boring for the first half and then they kinda just redo the first movie once all the fodder characters show up. It's alright I guess but I prob wouldn't watch it again in awhile.
13. Area 51, boring found footage movie where they really don't do anything and they show like the lamest grey alien that just has "mind" powers so it's cheaper I guess.
14. The Blair Witch Project, I rewatched this after rewatching the new blair witch movie its ok for like the first 30m and then nothing really happens. It doesn't really do anything cannibal holocaust and the last broadcast did already.
15. Blair Witch, This isn't that bad of a movie. In a horror movie regard they show more about the monster and that's the most you can hope for.
16. Candyman, Candyman just like steals bloodmary's gimmick and decides hes gotta hide in the ghetto apartments for some reason. I never really got why candyman harasses some white woman like that. I love at the end instead of calling the police on her in the bonfire they just gather around and light it on fire. Shes like barely touched getting the baby out and then her hair disappears.
17. Cabin Fever 2016, A pretty boring movie that's basically The Ruins in a cabin with no plants. It has the strangest hillbillies and kid in a rabbit mask. I love how the all the main character kids are retards and never go to the cops or act rationally. I guess the hillbillies decided to murder them and they had to defend themselves but they didn't even attempt to turn themselves into the cops after that.
18. The Cabin in the Woods, I didn't really like this movie when it came out because how it relates the watchers(US) to being some sleeping giant that can't like a horror movie unless there's stereotypical characters that get attacked by basically fill in the blank villains. It's an ok movie, I like how they have a bunch of gimmicky monsters. The unicorn is the best.
19. The Crazies, Meh an ok horror movie. This came out around the new zombie craze but they didn't really make them zombies just like dumb evil monster people. The military give up really fast in trying to control the situation and just AVP:R the whole thing. Basically this whole movie is just a repeat of AVP:R without the predator, boring.
20. The Babadook, this movie is pretty good, I like how little amount of cast they need to use to tell a story.
21. Freddy vs Jason, I really like this movie. The plot moves fast and there's alot of fun kills.
22. From Beyond, A pretty good movie. Maybe the police guy sent to keep an eye on the main character to make sure he didn't murder the evil scientist man like checked in or like reported what was happening in the house before he became a skeleton. He really doesn't do any police work while hes there. It's almost like they heard that some strange science poo poo was happening and they sent them a token character just to die to it.
23. It Follows, Good movie with what seems like a small number of characters that moves the story along a good pace. Even for a movie that not that much happens its never really boring.
24. The Last Broadcast, I like this movie alot it just feels like there's more going on with it for being a found footage movie just because its shown more as a documentary. My favorite part of the movie is where the cop tries to explain that you can't fake IRC chat room logs and its full of proof the guy murdered a bunch of people in the woods.
25. Lords of Salem, I like Rob Zombie movies, I watched this a few times.
26. Mimic, A pretty old movie it's almost not really a horror movie but there's scary bug people. I like how you go down one room in a subway and you hit the catacombs of tunnels. I don't know how the bugs even look like people or even pass for people. Someone would be like your face is hosed up pal and then they would turn into a huge bug and kill them.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 1, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
1. Masters of Horror: Cigarette Burns (2005)
2. Demons (1985)
3. Maniac Cop (1988)
4. Messiah of Evil (1973)
5. Shivers (1975)
6. Maniac Cop 2 (1990)
7. Demons 2 (1986)
8. Road Games (1981)
9. Maximum Overdrive (1986)
10. Cat People (1942)
11. The Lure (2015)
12. Death Spa (1989)
13. The Church (1989)
14. The Void (2016)
15. Prometheus (2012)
16. Alien: Covenant (2017)
17. Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)
18. Society (1989)
19. The Devils (1971)
20. The Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
21. Dellamorte Dellamore aka Cemetery Man (1994)
22. The Devil Rides Out (1968)
23. The House by the Cemetery (1981)
24. The Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971)
25. The Invisible Man (1933)
26. Invaders from Mars (1986)
27. The Burning (1981)
28. As Above, So Below (2014)
29. Inferno (1980)
]30. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
31. All the Colors of the Dark (1972)
32. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
33. Amer (2009)
35. The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013)
36. Countess Dracula (1971)
37. Devil Fish aka Monster Shark (1984)

38. 47 Meters Down (2017)

One last film to wrap things up. This one didn't really do much for me, but my wife and her sister got really freaked out, so I suppose it's effective enough.

That said, I'm really grateful for the challenge, as it got me to see films I've been meaning to watch for years, but never made time for. The absurd thing is, I can easily compile a just-as-long list of more films I still need to see. There's plenty of material left for the next Halloween challenge. I've seen neither the original nor any of the Hammer Frankenstein films, there's quite a few important films from Hooper, Romero and Craven I haven't watched, a lot of Cronenberg, most Asian horror, etc. I've made a pretty decent dent in my giallo watch list, but there's plenty more there too. So, I'm definitely going to be back next year!

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 1, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for pushing back the deadline! Today was spooky as hell as the HTPC I've been using suddenly poo poo itself. I dragged over my desktop PC but of course it only had DVI and DP outputs while the projector only accepts HDMI and VGA. I thought I'm completely hosed and would have to watch the last two films on a 23" monitor but finally found a DVI to VGA adapter. As a result though it's now like 1:30am.

Anyway, despite the complication, I managed to watch two movies, The Hidden and From Beyond, and accomplished the mission of watching one movie per year from now to 1986. Still have to do reviews of these two (tl;dr: awesome) as well as Singapore Sling and Brain Damage.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

24. Opera A
Cool crows and other good stuff. By far the best directed movie I've seen this month. Lots of creepy prowling shots.

25. Bride of Re-Animator B
Fun and weirder than the original. Bat wings were a great addition. Combs is great.

26. From Beyond A
Uneven but a fantastic third act. Lots of cool and gross practical effects.

27. Night of the Creeps C
It's fine but Slither really improved on everything and there's not enough charm to make this stand out.

28. Phantasm A
Flat for about thirty minutes then it becomes amazing. Creepy and weird but with an internal logic that makes the insanity understandable. If Opera wasn't shot so well this would be the best of the month.

29. Asylum C
Some flat stories but the robot dolls are fun and Cushing is always great.

30. The Beyond B
It's an unsatisfying story but great mood and visuals. I am big fan of obvious puppet tarantulas bouncing on wires next to real tarantulas crawling.

31. The Void D
This is well made and it's a shame I watched this right after The Beyond because it's not so derivative in a vacuum.

Best: Opera, a good tense giallo.
Worst: The Boggens, a horrible creature feature that has no creatures for 60 minutes.

I managed 21 different years but didn't even get close to hitting every year from 1986-2017.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

53. Christine - "Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis." Remember that time someone told you there was a horror movie based on a Stephen King story about a killer car and you didn't give a poo poo? But then everyone kept talking about how good it was for the next twenty years and pointed out it was a John Carpenter movie so you finally got around to watching it, and it turned out that it wasn't so much a killer car movie as a Shakespearean tragedy of socially unsanctioned love in which the protagonists are the villains and it ends with the second act, before the revenge? Yeah, that was a weird experience and I absolutely loved it. I mean okay you can probably make an argument that Christine wasn't really good for Arnie, but plenty of more or less sincere love stories have ended that way and I think the motivations of a sentient car are always going to be a little ambiguous.

I'd heard enough about this movie that I thought I had a pretty good idea about how some scenes were going to play out (like the oft-mentioned headlights scene) and I kept being wrong about important details. There's a ton going on and none of it is subtle and it just feels constantly ludicrous and wonderful that this story is being told with a killer car in place of one of the stars. Thank you Stephen King's cocaine phase, I guess.

A lot of it rests on Keith Gordon's performance. He's a little too movie star to be completely convincing as the nerd with only a single friend, but he makes a pretty solid effort. After he meets Christine, he starts eating scenery with unrepentant joy. It almost seems unfair since he's also handed every good line they had, but most of the rest of the cast is at least decent and the crotchety old mechanic would be a tremendous standout in a lesser movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

41. Patchwork (2015)
Flawed, but enjoyable. Arguably a throwback to '80s schlock horror, but instead of doing much interesting stuff with the clichés (outside of the mad scientist, who was great), it retreads them in a modern setting. Some amusing bits, which owed more to the script than the performances, though the composite actress did a great job with communicating the physicality weirdness in her little quirks of movement. The original parts of the script went places I wasn't expecting, mostly with the redhead, but despite playing with separating the story into pieces, the overall narrative felt kind of bland.
3/5

42. Saw IV (2007)
Spices up the formula a little bit by bringing back the first film's pairing of victims. I was amused that we got a cop named Rigg when Murtaugh was in the first one. Character reasoning goes even further out the window to keep the movie moving. Good set dressing, compared to the last couple of films in the series, and the gimmick of trying to turn someone to Jigsaw's perspective had potential. Kind of undermined by revisiting the second movie's 'salvation through inaction' thing, though.

Genuine question: what kind of time fuckery is going on in this? It starts off with the examination of Jigsaw's corpse to kick off the story, then towards the end, it's where it was at the end of the previous movie, not having gone to the morgue after all? Was one a duplicate? I was paying more attention while watching than with later entries, but I very much could have just gotten distracted by something else and missed the important point of which flashback to follow. The persistent revisionism makes this series feel like an ouroboros, but one with its head going up its rear end.
3/5

43. Saw V (2008)
I'm having trouble remembering what happened in this one, even though I only watched it yesterday. FBI guy from the last one continues hunting Jigsaw's accomplice(s), while another set of victims go through a gauntlet. Even after looking up synopses, memory details are vague outside of the very last scene. Feels like the selection of victims is drifting further and further from any sort of relevance to the plots. Kind of interesting to have a character who actively tries to figure ways out of the death-traps instead of just blundering around, so of course he's killed off quickly.
3/5

44. Saw VI (2009)
The most obnoxious Saw yet: Jigsaw vs. health insurance policies! The hypocrisy of Jigsaw's moralizing is practically going off the charts set by previous installments, and the repeated showings of characters (even the main ones) as inherently temporary (with so many dying in the same scene that introduces them, usually after just a few generic yelled lines) conditions any viewer who's made it this far in the series to just not give a poo poo about any of them, to a degree far past the disposability of characters in the big slashers.
2/5

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
I'm just going to list the movies I'm going to watch rather than write about them afterwards.

The Curse of Frankenstein, 1957
Re-Animator, 1985
From Beyond, 1986

The first one is because I need to watch more Hammer films. I watched it before a few years ago and thought it was cool. The other two are because I want to get wasted and especially Re-Animator is such a fun movie. re:View on redlettermedia.com covered both movies earlier this month https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPeMftLe_o

And since we are on the subject of redlettermedia.com, check out Mr. Plinkett’s Zombie Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6QLISlFL8

Happy Halloween and all that poo poo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

10. Frankenstein

Still a good flick. Monster's black blazer outfit looks like a sharp stand up comedian, ahead of his time. Thumbs up

11. Bride of Frankenstein

Really good flick. Pulls you in, very tragic tale, and epic, it's like the Citizen Kane of Frankenstein films. Thumbs up

SMP
May 5, 2009

My October Challenge is DONE. 32 movies + the first season of Channel Zero.

I finished things up with both Murder Party and a rewatch of Cabin in the Woods. Murder Party was a lot of fun and Jeremy Saulnier clearly loathed whatever art school he went to. I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods more upon rewatch. I can certainly understand the bad rap it gets around here, it seems pretty cynical about the genre, but those last 25 minutes are still a blast and carry the movie.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

This is a nice writeup and I need to watch this movie again, but I'm freaking out right now because I decided to look at IMDB to see who this actress was and I didn't realize until now that she was also the Virgin Connie Swail in Dragnet! :psyboom: The hair totally threw me off.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

45. Scary Movie 2, a.k.a., Scarier Movie (2001)
The most memorable movie of this series for me, probably because it was the first one I saw in full. And Goddamn, that cast! Even if a lot of them are just cameos, you've got Veronica Cartwright, James Woods, Andy Richter, Tim Curry, David Cross (in better days), and... Vitamin C. And then there's some Wayans, Anna Faris, Chris Masterson (looking hella like Neil Patrick Harris), and Chris Elliott, all doing fine jobs with the material. A lot of the gags don't quite land, but they keep coming at a near-steady pace. Weirdly enough, there's actual effort put into the effects and shots, and some creativity (such as it is) to the scenes. I mean, the rigging alone for what looked like a practical effect of a giant pot plant rolling up a man in a blanket to spark him up had to be a pain in the rear end, but it looks good. It's weird to think, so long after the spoof movie fury of that decade burned itself out, but someone involved in the making of this actually cared about how it looked.
3/5

46. Scary Movie 3, a.k.a., Scary Movie 3.5 (2003)
And then there's this poo poo. I enjoy Airplane! and The Naked Gun quite a bit, and love Kentucky Fried Movie, so seeing David Zucker turn in such lazy crap is kind of painful. While the previous one cast a pretty wide net in its haunted house spoofing, at least it managed to stay on target with it. Here, there's Signs, The Matrix series, The Ring, 8 Mile, Michael Jackson, and some name-drops of Pootie Tang. Basically stuff that had pop-culture buzz in the early '00s (and a bunch that didn't). And good lord, the jokes are lazy, especially when they're not just rehashing gags done earlier in the series. And worst of all, wasting Leslie Nielsen (although he does get the line "These men died in service of their country. Send flowers to their bitches and hos."). A picture of a bunch of butts would have been funnier than this.
2/5

47. Saw 3D, a.k.a., Saw: The Final Chapter, a.k.a., Saw 7, a.k.a., Jigsaw Puzzle 3D, a.k.a., Saw 3D: The Final Chapter (2010)
'Might as well finish the loving series, since I can see the new one for free and be totally done with it,' I thought. And I guess technically I finished it, but I had so little investment in this one, I can't give much of a review for it. The idea of someone monetizing Jigsaw's rep is a cute conceit. And it's a decent wrap-up, I guess, bringing back a certain character and setting from the first film, but outside of that, I genuinely cannot care about any of the characters, since they just feel like the same ones from last time, but with different names, different actors, and different traps into which they've been shoved. No wonder this series went into hibernation.

Might throw something on to fall asleep to tonight, but I hit more than 31 films new to me this month, so I'm satisfied.
2/5

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

14. Phantasm (Remastered)

Weird, handsome, but insubstantial. I have nothing but questions after finishing this one up, and I respect the film for not explaining away all of its weirdness. That weirdness isn't a substitute for its missing plot, though, and weirdness-for-weirdness'-sake is spread so thick that it sometimes becomes a source of frustration. I can't think of any other movie that has ever dropped a plot bomb the size of interplanetary corpse slavery only to completely forget about it in the next scene. I'll give it three pumpkins out of five for having a handful of really cool visuals and being unapologetically weird, but I don't think I'll be watching Phantasm 2 anytime soon.

The story of this remaster is pretty interesting, too, if anyone here is interested in film preservation.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

30. Bride of Re-animator

The original Re-animator is an absolute classic, and as such, I assumed it'd be impossible to make a sequel that wasn't terrible. I'm happy to say that Bride of Re-animator, in some ways, surpasses the original.

Bride of Re-animator picks up several months after the events of the first movie. Herbert West and Dan Cain are field medics in an unspecified civil war, where West is using wounded soldiers as guinea pigs for his re-animation experiments. When he discovers Cain's girlfriend's preserved heart, he becomes obsessed with using it in his experiments. Things take a turn for the strange, as they always do, and West and Cain must carry out their experiments while avoiding a suspicious detective and a malevolent severed head.

Bride has its share of comedic moments, but other all, isn't quite as funny as the original. However, that's made up for by Bride having a much stronger story. The characters are all more or less established when the movie starts, so the story is able to focus on themes like obsession and creation. The movie still isn't Oscar worthy or anything, but it's still nice that they tried. The characters are all a ton of fun to watch (Jeffery Combs is always a stand out), and the story is just deep enough to be interesting.

Of course, the main attraction is the gore and special effects. and in that regard, Bride of Re-animator doesn't disappoint. There's no lack of blood and gore, with body parts being tossed around, stitched together, chopped off, and fused together haphazardly. The "creature" effects are all fantastic, and there are several scenes that are so grotesque as to be fairly frightening (most memorable is the "tissue rejection" scene).

At the end of the day. I still prefer the original, but Bride of Re-animator holds its own, and manages to be good enough to stand on its own merits. If you've seen Re-animator, don't pass up Bride of Re-animator.

4/5

31. Christmas Evil

I'll be honest with you, I'm not really sure where to start with this one.

Christmas Evil tells the story of Harry, a well-meaning, yet meek toy factory worker. Harry is obsessed with Santa Claus after a traumatic experience occurred when he and his brother were children. Harry is surrounded with terrible people; lecherous children, greedy and heartless managers, and manipulative co-workers. Eventually, Harry decides people need to learn the true meaning of Christmas, so he grabs his tin soldiers, crappy van with a sleigh painted on the side (or should I say SLAY?), and hatchet, and sets out on his way.

The thing about Christmas Evil, is that it's just not much of a horror movie. Sure, a few people are killed, but it all comes across as almost a sad story about a guy who just can't fit in. The whole movie is incredibly low key, which is jarring when you realize it's billed as a movie about a guy who dresses up as Santa and murders people. The whole movie meanders until it gets to the grand finale, which might be one of the biggest "WTF" moments in movie history.

The main character Harry is the most interesting part of the movie. In his personal life, he's a giddy little creep who spies on children to decide if they're naughty or nice, and constantly preens his collection of chintzy Christmas decorations. At work however, he's a tiny, weak-willed man who's afraid to say know, and voices his greatest convictions in a half-committed whimper. When he finally snaps, you're almost rooting for him. His victims DO deserve what they've got coming! Harry's rampage is fairly short lived however (not to mention not very well executed), and he's soon back to his jelly-spined self. It's almost sad when he returns to his brother's house to let him know that he tried his hardest to show the world what his "tune" was, but still failed.

Christmas Evil is a fairly tame and boring horror movie, but I like it quite a bit as a Christmas movie. It strikes me almost as a horribly deformed version of the Twilight Zone episode "The Night of the Meek" I won't recommend Christmas Evil, but I refuse to call it a bad movie. Watch it if you're interested.

?/5

FINAL TALLY
1. The Conjuring
2. Prom Night
3. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
4. The Slayer
5. The Initiation
6. Graduation Day
7. Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo
8. Witch Trap
9. Death Spa
10. The Suckling
11. Beyond Darkness
12. There's Nothing Out There!
13. Ghoulies
14. Blair Witch
15. Pumpkinhead
16. Pumpkin Head II: Blood Wings
17. Frankenhooker
18. The Toolbox Murders
19. The Exorcist III
20. Viy
21. Deadtime Stories
22. Memorial Valley Massacre
23. Psycho Cop Returns
24. Pieces
25. Demon Wind
26. Ghost Watch
27. Night Train to Terror
28. Body Melt
29. Rec
30. Bride of Re-animator
31. Christmas Evil

I just wanted to thank all you guys. This is the third year I've done this, but I always only post my reviews on facebook. Usually around 15 or 16 I get burned out, so it was great to be able to read what everyone else was watching and get great suggestions for stuff I've never heard of.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#37: Inside

A tense, bloody, home invasion thriller. There's not a whole ton that's different or unique about this movie, and the story's so obvious, you'll say "duh" when the reveal comes, but you won't bother to think about it because for most of its runtime, this movie's lean, mean, and doesn't let you catch your breath. Clocking in at only 82 minutes, this movie doesn't waste much time, and packs it to the brim with gore and tension. The special effects are very effective and visceral, save CGI fetus reaction shots, and they're stomach-churning. The action is claustrophobic and eerie, and the two leads are very good in this movie, they perfectly fit their roles and hunter and hunted. The movie trips up a little bit towards the end, with a story beat or two that mess with the flow of the movie, but it's easily forgiveable, given how intense the rest of the movie is.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil, Wait Until Dark, Gerald's Game, Hell House LLC, Black Swan*, Happy Birthday To Me, Pieces, Trollhunter, As Above So Below, The Devil's Candy, Antibirth, Chopping Mall, The Terminator*, Death Note, Ghostwatch, Baskin, Let the Right One In, Inferno, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Starry Eyes, Hardware*, Halloween*, Halloween III: Season of the Witch*, Creepshow, Jurassic Park*, Inside

*denotes rewatches

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

32. The Exorcist

May as well wrap this up on a high note. This is pretty much the Ur Horror film; everything is so well done, every character is great, the effects are all terrific. Max van Sydow is a favourite of mine, but really all the leads are tremendous. It’s just pretty much a perfect film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
27. Paranormal Activity 1&2&4, Grouped these together to form one movie. Rewatched the first one just to experience how boring it is and nothing really happened. The second movie is where they started more of a story going on. My favorite part is where the whole family is literally just running around the house looking at all the paranormal activity going on instead of just running the gently caress outside. The 4th movie is prob my favorite one that seems to be the most rewatchable. I do like how they advanced the story little by little and built on it.
28. Poultrygeist - Night of the Chicken Dead, Great movie just a great Troma movie. The singing parts are ok and are not that annoying. Favorite scene is the ending where for no reason the car does a flip and just explodes.
29. Prince of Darkness, I love John Carpenter movies. This is an odd one that is prob my 3rd most watched movie of the month. I keep rewatching it to just try to get the full idea he was going for but it seems alittle wishy washy. My least favorite part is where the Chinese guy from Big Trouble in Little Chinatown gets stuck in a closet and a group of scientists try to dig through a wall to free him. Favorite parts have to be with the demonic bum army.
30. The Ring 2, Don't really know what this movie was going for or if it was just a cash grab it was just a dumb movie. Favorite scene is the deer scene.
31. The Ring, Great movie easy to rewatch. I love the middle part of the movie when she starts investigating and goes to the island with the guy from X-Men United.
32. Scream 1&2&3&4, The first movie is a great movie. I thought the villains for the second and third were pretty weak. The 4th movie was ok, still think its a better movie that the 2nd and 3rd. My favorite movies would have to be the first and 4th, they just seem the best of the set.
33. Secret Window, Really like this movie, seems like a small cast about Johnny Depp going crazy and murderering his wife to make a corn field on her body. Might be leaning towards more of a thriller movie.
34. The Shining, just a great movie. My favorite scene is where Jack Nicholson is looking into the maze model and it changes to his wife and kid walking around inside it.
35. Signs, Kinda not completely a horror movie but I love the build up and the fear of what is happening around Mel Gibson's farm. Favorite scenes gotta be where they go to the town at the start of the movie. The old guy counting Pepsi commercials.
36. Silence of the Lambs, I like all the Hannibal movies. I would say I perfer this over Hannibal and Hannibal rising. Favorite scenes is from the cage dinner to the escape.
37. Silent Hill, Very rewatchable movie great tense and feelings of fear. Favorite scenes have to be the school scene where it cuts back to the silent hill world with the wife and the real world husband and detective. Next favorites would be where lady gets skinned alive by Pyramid Head and the detective flash back story.
38. The Taking of Deborah Logan, A friend told me about his movie awhile ago and I really enjoyed it. It has the mix of found footage/real footage/documentary that just seems to flow together really well for me. Very rewatchable. Favorite scene has to be where they find the body in the house and try to burn it in the fire place.
39. The Monster Squad, great movie kinda not really horror because not many people really die. Love all the evil monster squad build up and coming together with Dracula. Favorite scenes are the climax fights on the main street of the town.
40. Thirteen Ghosts the newer remake( I dont remember when this came out), Really like the intro and starting of the movie, the middle drags on for me and I'll always remember the Worlds Most Interesting man is really some guy who made a ghost house for unlimited power. I love all the different designs of the ghosts.
41. Tremors, Great movie great rewatchablity. Prob my least favorite scenes is the monsters kill the random people and the pole jumping scenes.
42.Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Kinda not a horror movie but really funny. I love the chainsaw scene and where they decide to leave a message for the college kids letting them know that they have their friend. They crave it into wood and leave the axe and they think they are actually sending a threat.
43. Willow Creek, Kinda boring movie almost basically a remake of the blair witch project. I loving hate the 30m scene of them just sitting in the tent and just listening to noises.
44. Return of the Living Dead, I really like this movie, I just really like Zombie movies. Trash is hot and there's alot of memorable scenes. I love the intro and the build up all the way up to where they call 911 for the guys that are feeling sick. Then the movie drags on alittle bit before finally alot more zombies show up. I love how they board up the church and fight off the hands coming through the windows. The scenes with all the zombies attacking are great.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 1, 2017

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
10. Halloween H20 (1998, dir. Steve Miner, d.p. Daryn Okada)

The film is more effective at presenting the lingering trauma of Michael Myers to Laurie than it is the killer himself. Most of the movie isn't bad on a technical level, just extremely dull. Curtis brings a surprising amount of pathos to her role relative to her surroundings, but it isn't enough to warrant interest by itself. Something compelling could be made of the premise, but it sure isn't this.

3/9

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
Wow. Uh.

Yeah. So, it's less that this movie is bad, and more that it's a complete departure from the existing mythology. In this one, a sadist bounty hunter claims that Jason is actually a demon, and can only be slain by someone of the Voorhees bloodline, and there's, no poo poo, a magical sword they have to do it with. The actual action and kills in this movie are pretty awesome. The design of Jason is also pretty good. He has a bizarre, bloated, bulbous head, but this allows his mask to like, fused into the flesh of his face. There are a lot of really crazy (and practical) effects in this film. The film is full of colorful characters, even if they're stupid. That's a pretty big step up from a lot of the films in this franchise. This film's biggest sin is disrespecting the source, but honestly, it's not owed very much respect.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

54. Tag - It's about 11 so I guess this will be my last. There are still lots of classics I need to see and some real gems I've been meaning to rewatch for ages, but I decided I wanted something I hadn't heard of so just opened Netflix and scrolled until something caught my eye. Turns out it's a Shion Sono film; I saw Suicide Club what feels like forever ago and Why Don't You Play in Hell? maybe a month or two before the challenge, so that was moderately exciting - neither of those were what I'd call masterpieces, but I'd recommend both without hesitation. This, unfortunately, is much less interesting. It barely has characters and I will promise you at the outset that you will not be satisfied when the mystery of what the hell is going on is resolved. I mean, there is a very clear and definitive explanation, but that's about all you can say for it. It's also got a crippling case of Miike-pacing, and you're going to spend most of an extremely long hour and a half watching a girl run.

On the other hand,

This isn't really a recommendation, but, I mean,

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#32 The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
Much like Deep Red I love the atmosphere, but just don't care much for the story.
I know it is part of the charm, but a 10 second explanation in the final scene that basically amounts to "she was crazy" feels amateurish.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 1, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
2. TCM: The Beginning
3. Halloween (2007)
4. Friday the 13th (2009)
5. Hollywood Ghost Stories (1986)
6. Halloween 2 (2009)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
8. Scream 4
9. Texas Chainsaw 3D
10. Mother!
11. Never Sleep Again
12. Lurdiak's Scream Stream 10/06
13. Scream Stream 10/07
14. Scream Stream 10/08
15. Crystal Lake Memories
16. Dracula (1931)
17. The Limehouse Golem
18. Frankenstein (1931)
19. The Mummy (1932)
20. The Invisible Man
21. The Bride of Frankenstein
22. The Wolf Man (1941)
23. The Phantom of the Opera (1943)
24. Creature From the Black Lagoon
25. It Came From Outer Space
26. Night of the Comet
27. Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
28. Return of the Living Dead
29. Phantom of the Paradise
30. The Guest
31. House of 1000 Corpses
32. Insidious
33. The Devil's Rejects
34. God Told Me To
35. Carrie (1976)
36. The Shining (1980)
37. The Texas Chansaw Massacre (1974)

Every year I watch the two films that contend for position of my all-time favourite horror movie. This film is a loving masterpiece, and it almost feels like it's all on accident. Sure a lot of the film is made up of deliberate choices, but the end result must have been a surprise to the filmmakers. You can tell it's DNA in the exploitation circuit of 'Do it cheap and gross some people out'. It's low art that stumbled into the High Art circles. And at least for right now, I think the sudden brutal chaos that permeates it make's it the winner. At least for the next while.

38. Halloween (1978)

...But this film is so loving good too. Where the TCM feels accidentally genius, Halloween feels like everything was deliberate. Both films accomplish similar yet different feelings of realism and helplessness. TCM feels gracefully sloppy, yet this one is so tightly crafted and phenomenally structured. It too is low art, but it forces it's way into esteem and grandeur through it's talents alone. This is just a debate that will never end for me.

39. Lurdiak's Scream Stream 10/31
Featuring:

Even though I missed most of the Scream Streams for a variety of reasons, I knew I couldn't miss this one. Not with that line up. All of them brand new to me, and all fairly high on my 'must watch' list.

First off was Creepshow, and I did manage to catch about 85% of the movie, having to ditch out of the cockroach one to take a shower (for non-horror movie related purposes). Did catch most of the epilogue though. All in all, a phenomenal movie with an interesting style giving homage to EC Comics. The only bit of criticism I have is that the film kinda felt like it went one segment too long, but I guess that I would rather there be more of this film in the world that not. It's not 100% even, but it's good enough to enjoy thoroughly.

I actually had to miss almost all but a few fleeting bits of Creepshow 2 due to work, and don't feel really that able to comment on it. Might give it an honest shot next year though.

Out of all of these movies, Dude Bro Party Massacre was the one I was looking forward to the most. I had known about it for years, helping fund it during it's crowd funding campaign. I even watched a decent bit of the opening when they released it to backers. That said, work did get in the way a number of times so I didn't commit to watching it 100%. Though based around some of the comments in the chat at the time, I may have been a bit more positive about this movie than some people. But there were also more than a couple viewers that were won over by the end. It's a kinda parody of slashers, using the framework of the story to tell really stupid jokes. But it's not about satirising the genre or parodying it's tropes and cliches, it's literally just using those familiar conventions as a structure to hang some exceptionally stupid jokes around. Like Wet Hot American Summer, but even more overtly comedic and stupid. I don't think it's objectively as good as it, but I think there's something equally lovable. Plus, it was a great venue for an unnecessary amount of blood.

WNUF is something that I read plenty about, but most of what was written about it kinda danced around what it actually is. In 1987, small town channel WNUF aired an infamous Halloween Special about a local Geraldo wannabe investigating/hanging about a local home with a murderous past behind it. Most of the video is taken up by extraneous footage that also aired the same night, which doesn't involve the actual murder house, but rather local commercials and the evening news broadcast. This is there to give further context to the town where this special took place, and where culture was at that specific time. And for the most part, it shows off the goofiness of low budget productions and how things can break down in hilarious ways. It's just unfortunate that my internet was starting to get spotty as the special was wrapping up. I don't think I missed anything important, but I did feel like I missed out on some of the finer details.

But yeah, super looking forward to next year's stream. My year has had a criminally low amount of Ernest the Vampire in it, and the only thing that cures it is Lurdiak's yearly tradition. One that they put way more effort into than is probably necessary or justified, but I'm glad they go all the way for it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, so these two went past midnight so I don’t know if they should count… but I did start the first one before midnight. And I’m my mind “today” doesn’t end until 3 or 4 AM, or when you go to bed. So while the calendar may say its November its still Halloween for my internal clock. Maybe that works for you, maybe it doesn’t. But for me it justifies pursuing my 60. Besides, I waited until October 1st unlike some of you. Not pointing fingers, but you know who you are.

Anyway, it lets me get in another one of the rewatches I REALLY wanted, As Above, So Below. A young, determined, reckless, beautiful, brilliant, charming, alluring… uh… I have a crush on a movie character. Sue me. Anyway, a young archeologist risks her life in an obsessive pursuit of of the find of a lifetime that takes her and her friends into the depths of Hell, quite possibly literally. I loved this when I first saw it and I really wanted to see if it held up, and it did. I am claustrophobic and even as I type this I’m breathing hard and a little surprised at how much I’m not really in control. I’m surprised because the first time I watched this I was basically sweating it affected me so much, but this time i was able to be much more relaxed and in doing so noticed a lot more of the scares and imagery to the movie that I didn’t fully catch the first time. The depiction of Hell as haunting images of your greatest regrets and secrets dealt out in terrifying moments is somehow everything I imagine a real Hell to be. The story is both direct and simple and a little insane and unfathomable as such a story should be. The characters are full and you get to know them (maybe you don’t love them, but you know them) very quickly without a ton of exposition or overexplanation. I’ve seen the church bell scene criticized as pretentious and “quirky” but I really do think it works so well to quickly get you to know who Scarlett and George are and what they’re relationship is. And yes, they are a little pretentious and “quirky.” They’re also kind of brilliant and crazy.

The found footage technique is really at its best here, IMO. A sound, simple, logical reason for the cameras that never betrays that idea or cheats for storytelling. How do you justify someone carrying a camera with them into the depths of Hell? Its attached to their only source of light. It introduces characters, relationships, and story in a logical and straightforward way without feeling like a long setup. And of course the cameras work amazingly to capture that claustrophobic feeling of exploring the Catacombs and dealing with the tight spaces and darkness.

Its not really a flaw of the movie but I find myself wondering what Benji and Souxie’s sins were since they were never directly addressed. That’s not a flaw in and of itself but since we saw everyone else’s play out through the journey it makes sense that we would have seen there’s. What I’ve come to in my head is that we did. That Souxie’s had to do with “The Mole”. As he said to them when they first found them, they never went looking for him. What if that was Souxie’s guilt talking? The Mole was her “ghost” the whole time and when she left him behind a second time it resulted in him killing her. If that’s true than the most logical explanation for Benji is that the strange woman is his ghost. We never get any real idea of WHY or WHAT he would be feeling guilty of but he’s the one who notices her at the Paris club, he’s the one who sees her amongst the singing cultists, and she ultimately kills him. It makes sense that she was there for him in the same way the Mole might have been there for Souxie and Pap, George, Scarlett, and Zed all dealt with things we saw play out.

I really really love this movie and I’m glad I squeezed it in. I now feel comfortable declaratively stating its one of my more recent favorites and probably makes my all time list. It kind of shocks me that its so poorly reviewed and regarded. I mean, I don’t really mind that I love a movie most don’t. I guess I just find it strange that I find so much in a movie and I guess others didn’t. Go figure. I’m also a bit of a nerd so all the Lara Croft/Indiana Jones history stuff and poetry reading all really worked for me. The scene where Scarlett and George realize they’re acting out Dante’s passages is an amazing one to me. But I can also see why others would find it pretentious and douchey. Maybe I am a little pretentious and douchey? So be it, I guess.

Last but not least, a movie I have been meaning to watch for years. This is the fourth or fifth year I took part in this and I remember way back in the first one everyone was raving about a movie so much that I ended up picking up the DVD. Each year since I’ve had it on my list but I never end up getting around to it for some reason or another (usually burn out). And then the rest of the year the DVD sits on my shelf and when I notice it I think I should be saving it for this. So what better way to end this fun month that was so heavily influenced by recommendations from your folks than with the first recommendation I got from you folks?

47 (60). The Stone Tape (1972)

A bunch of jack rear end scientists set up shop in an old castle to work on inventing something to revolutionize their business but when they discover the castle is haunted they do what jack rear end scientists do in these movies and decide to focus on proving the science of the ghost until things go wrong.

Early in I wasn’t feeling this and was thinking it was going to be a bust. Something about the play pacing perhaps or just some boredom with the scientist thing or some awkwardness with the really heavy casual racism and misogyny of the time. I don’t know. But it grows on you and builds to the point where I was pretty focused in as it went on and pretty well lost track of time by the end. There’s an interesting premise here for sure and I can definitely see how it influenced films like Poltergeist or one of my favorites Carpenter’s Prince of Darkness (although apparently the writer is kind of a jack rear end about that from the Wiki entry). It doesn’t work solely as influence. Clearly it works on its own and probably worked a lot better 45 years ago before all those decades of horror and technological advancement. I admit some of the effects were a little sketchy but judging it through its time period there’s some solid work with what they’re doing. Obviously at its core its basically a mad scientist story. Having just watched Bride of Re-Animator its interesting to look at it through that light and think of Coomb’s West in a similar light to Michael Bryant’s mad scientist here. I think the play aspect hampered it a bit but I’m getting now that that’s kind of a UK thing hence all the comparisons to Ghostwatch.

I don’t know, I don’t have a lot to say about this one. Like I said, I can see its role in horror history and how its influence the placement of science in horror. I mocked it as being a typical “jack rear end scientists get in over their heads” thing but obviously its a case of it getting there a bit before the cliche became so cliche. All in all an enjoyable film that I feel like really was a fitting mood piece for Halloween night and to end my marathon. I tend to think of Halloween as more whimsical and lighter than “horror” and this kind of fit the bill of a ghost story. And it feels like a nice place to end up with the previously mentioned place as the first movie i remember you folks exposing me to.

And with that my list is complete at 60 total, 47 new, and the last 31 years.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) / - (13). Grave Encounters (2011) / 7 (14). Grabbers (2012) / 8 (15). Get Out (2017) / 9 (16). Society (1989) / 10 (17). The House of the Devil (2009) / 11 (18). Hell Baby (2013) / 12 (19). Ghostwatch (1992) / 13 (20). Let Me In (2010) / - (21). Child’s Play 2 (1990) / 14 (22). Splinter (2008) / - (23). Child’s Play 3 (1991) / 15 (24). Apollo 18 (2011) / - (25). Bride of Chucky (1998) / 16 (26). Seed of Chucky (2004) / 17 (27). Friday the 13th (1980) / 18 (28). Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) / 19 (29). The Babysitter (2017) / 20 (30). Curse of Chucky (2013) / 21 (31). 31 (2016) / 22 (32). Cult of Chucky (2017) / 23 (33). Fido (2006) / 24 (34). Hell House, LLC (2016) / 25 (35). The Devil’s Chair (2007) / 26 (36). Shallow Ground (2004) / 27 (37). Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) / 28 (38). Fragiles (2005) / 29 (39). Green Room (2015) / 30 (40). A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) / 31 (41). Assault on Precent 13 (1976) / - (42). Phantasm II (1988) / 32 (43). Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994) / 33 (44). Castle Freak (1995) / 34 (45). The Lair of the White Worm (1988) / 35 (46). Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998) / 36 (47). Audition (1999) / 37 (48). Pitch Black (2000) / 38 (49). Dolls (1987) / 39 (50). Body Bags (1993) / 40 (51). May (2002) / 41 (52). Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) / 42 (53). Darklands (1997) / 43 (54). The Stendhal Syndrome (1996) / 44 (55). Tales of Halloween (2015) / 45 (56). The Devil's Backbone (2001) / - (57). The Return of the Living Dead (1985) / 46 (58). Bride of Re-Animator (1989) / - (59). As Above, So Below (2014) / 47 (60). The Stone Tape (1972)

Stone Tape holds a unique place on my countdown as it was actually one of the few that was actually on on my original list of movies. I started this month with a list of 56 movies I had pegged to watch in my second post in the thread. After watching 60 movies I have 36 of this movies still on the list.

1. I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in The House (Netflix)
2. Contracted (Netflix)
3. Hellions (Netflix)
4. We Are Still Here (Netflix)
5. At the Devil’s Door (Netflix)
6. Creep (Netflix)
7. The Legend of Hell House (Netflix)
8. WyrmWood (Netflix)
9. Little Evil (Netflix)
10. Death Note (Netflix)
11. Hush (Netflix)
12. Extraordinary Tales (Netflix)
13. The Legend of Hell House (Netflix)
14. The Eyes of My Mother (Netflix)
15. Bug (Max Go)
16. The Day The Earth Stood Still (Max Go)
17. Conjuring 2 (HBO Go)
18. Green Inferno (HBO Go)
19. The Other Side of the Door (HBO Go)
20. Within (HBO Go)
21. Jaws (Starz)
22. Shallows (Starz)
23. Creature From The Black Lagoon (Starz)
24. Turistas (Starz)
25. Maniac (Showtime Anytime)
26. The Neon Demon (Amazon Prime)
27. Beyond The Black Rainbow (Amazon Prime)
28. The Girl With All The Gifts (Amazon Prime)
29. Martin (DVD)
30. The Beyond (DVD)
31. Black Swan (DVD)
32. Pan’s Labryinth (DVD)
33. Godzilla [2014] (DVD)
34. King Kong [2005] (DVD)
35. King Kong [1933] (DVD)
36. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (DVD)

It really is a testament to how organic this marathon was for me and how I changed my direction so often based on what I was feeling, what was recommended, and what I randomly came across. I never intended to watch every Chucky movie but I got into them and I did. I intended to do theme nights like Jaws/Shallows and King Kong/Godzilla but it just never happened or felt necessary. I intended to watch all the Friday the 13th movies but when the first two didn’t work for me I abandoned it. I only intended to watch Phantasm 2, it ended up piquing my curiousity to watch 3 and 4, and they ended up cooling me off enough that I never got around to 5. I watched The Babysitter within an hour of finding out it existed in this thread and within 24 hours of it being released. I subscribed to Shudder and ended up watching probably half my films there. It was just a constant moving thing which is a big part of why I think I maintained.

Thank you all. Thank you Franchescanado for hosting. Thank you Lurdiak for hosting the Scream Stream even though I never did get a chance to participate. Thank you Hollismason for laying down the “31 Years” challenge that I ended up adopting and which really drove my marathon. Thank you to the great reviewers like Irony.or.Death or Basebf555 or of course the previously mentioned or the many I’ve forgotten. Thank you everyone for putting up with my sometimes overly wordy and probably far less worthwhile reviews than I thought - not to mention all the images and my silly calendar which I loved but probably just clogged up the thread for everyone else. Thank you all, for reigniting my love of horror and opening my eyes to a lot of movies I never would have experienced with you.

In closing I share a tiny piece of a childhood Halloween love that my sister randomly reminded me of tonight. And even though I hadn’t thought of this in decades I can sing every line of this song right now and I have been singing it in my head much of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CafQsKXVb-w&t=18s

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
45. Night of the Living Dead (Rifftrax live version only one I have), Their talking makes it interesting to watch but the movie is so old its hard to be scary.
46. Dawn of the Dead (the old one), Great movie always enjoy watching it.

My most watched movies had to be The Thing and the prequel. Followed by Blair Witch and the Blair Witch Project to trying to compare the movies. Then behind that it had to be The Last Broadcast.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I watched some films and then part of the first Scream Stream hit real close to some personal trauma so I haven’t watched a horror movie since. This month sucked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm really sorry that the Scream Stream caused you such an unpleasant experience and ruined your month. It's difficult to balance my desire to experience movies I haven't seen fresh with the chat and my desire to inform viewer of offensive, sensitive or overly shocking content that may show up in the features.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Irony.or.Death posted:

53. Christine
A lot of it rests on Keith Gordon's performance. He's a little too movie star to be completely convincing as the nerd with only a single friend, but he makes a pretty solid effort.

That's pretty close to the book, honestly. Arnie in the book is only really an outcast because he's got really bad acne. After he gets the car it starts clearing up, he becomes a cool dude (at least in the Wild One greaser sense), gets a girlfriend and the chief reason he doesn't get more friends around school is his obsession with Christine.

I also love the tagline for the book, which is much better than any used on the movie: "Sometimes ownership becomes possession."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've been pretty slack in writing reviews lately, but I've also had little time to watch movies either, so I may as well finish up.

Ghostwatch (1992)
This was really well done. It's a mockumentary about a news station doing a Halloween night live broadcast on a haunted house. The newscasters don't expect to actually see anything, but since we're watching a horror movie we know they'll get more than they bargained for.

This movie has amazing pacing, as things continually escalate until we finally reach a crescendo at the climax of the film. It effectively shows the characters going from skeptical to believing, and creates a true sense of dread.

I understand this movie used actual broadcasters and tv personalities from the BBC in it to lend the special credibility. As a Canadian watching this 25 years after its original broadcasting that bears no cultural significance for me, but I can't imagine how mind blowing this must have been to young Brits watching it when it originally aired.

it Follows (2014)
This is a rewatch. It's a modern day classic, and if you are reading this thread or the horror thread then you know why. A young girl is being followed by some sort of demon after a one night stand, and the only way to get rid of it is to have sex with someone else. The STD metaphor is obvious, but there seems to be much, much more going on in this film. For example, there's a subtext of intergenerational conflict going on as well. We rarely see parents, and when we do it is as a malevolent force. There's also some symbolism involving pools/bodies of water that I haven't quite figured out yet. Normally this would represent baptism and rebirth, but that interpretation isn't quite consistent with what we see in the movie.

This is one that I feel each time I watch I'll find something new to enjoy.

The Monster Squad (1987)
I've done a thread for this in the past, so no big write up here. It's one of my favourite movies ever, and is part of my Halloween night viewing every year.

Trick 'R Treat (2007)
This has become another staple of my Halloween night viewing. It's hard to believe this anthology is 10 years old already. This movie pretty much has everything, and it really captures the spirit of Halloween for both young and old. I do find the last segment goes on a little too long, but the final scenes tie everything together so well that it's easy to ignore the flaws.

So my total is 38, with 25 first time watches. I was hoping to hit 31, but there's only so much time every October. Plus, I really enjoy rewatching horror movies too so that's less time to devote to new stuff.

Rewatches (13): Maniac Cop, Friday the 13th 3, Friday the 13th 4, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 , The Lost Boys, Land of the Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Friday the 13th 6, The Babadook, Hocus Pocus, It Follows, The Monster Squad, Trick 'R Treat

First time watches (25): Mortuary, Little Evil, Eloise, Mother!, The Roommate, The Chaos Experiment, Resident Evil 6, Vacancy, Rings, The Stepfather, Train to Busan, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, Cult of Chucky, The Return of Dracula, The Fog, Sssssss! Happy Death Day, the Babysitter, The Changeling, It Comes at Night, phantasm 2, Death Spa, Hell HouseLLC, Ghostwatch

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I tuned in and out of Scream Stream last night, so I'm only counting the features I watched from start-to finish. That eliminates Creepshow, WNUF Special (which is very fun), and Dude Bro Massacre III, leaving me with...

Creepshow 2
1987, dir. Michael Gornick | Scream Stream

A good but not great follow-up to a classic film in the Horror, Anthology and Halloween canon. We only get three stories stretched out and an okay wrap-around that's fun. I've seen this movie a few times now, and I somehow always forget the 3rd story, which should say something about the lasting quality, but also says something about me, as the final story is actually pretty good and slightly more clever than the other 2.

Chief Woodenhead: I really like this story because of how sad, brutal, and conflicting it manages to be. The first act drags without adding suspense, it's just all character work, then the murder/set-up happens, then the supernatural revenge. I like how Chief moves, some of the sound design is really great when it comes to him creaking around, but the actual material that could be scary--the stalking and murders of the ne'er-do-well's--is rushed through really quickly.

The Raft: I didn't know there was so many detractors for this segment, which I think is the most memorable and best executed. It establishes toxic masculinity but doesn't do much with it thematically, it just punishes the dudes for their attempts at rape/assault. The special effects are goopy, melty and gross (sorry for teasing you, Bibs; it was all in good fun), and it has an excellent leg-breaking. It's a simple premise fueled by the audience screaming at their TVs about what they would do instead. Very fun.

Thanks for the Ride: An adulterous woman has her guilt personified by a dead hitchhiker...who she happens to have ran over with her car. The dream-like progression and fake-outs adds a fun layer of confusion without detracting from the story, the special effects are (again) wonderful, and this is the funniest of the segments. I feel like this short would hit harder if the rest of the movie matched it's pacing.

I think that Chief Woodenhead's slow-crawl first act really affects the overall pacing of this movie. I know they were concerned about run-time and had to stretch things out, but it makes The Raft's pacing seem incredibly fast (It's maybe a 20 minute segment, almost half of Woodenhead's run-time). This movie always leaves me with the feeling that it needs one more story to fix this, and it would be held in even higher regard. I'd like to see a fan-edit that splices in The Cat story from Tales From The Darkside: The Movie.

3 / 5 :spooky:s

Ghoulies
1984, dir. Luca Bercovici | Amazon Prime

Another Gremlins-esque "small creature feature". I like this one more than Critters, if only because of how batshit insane this thing is. (Critters is insane, but it doesn't have the tonal weirdness of this films identity crisis). There's no like-able characters, they're all paper-thin losers. The Ghoulies are just there for the majority of the run-time. The plot is predictable. Tonally this movie bounces around from a PG movie to an R. It completely misses what makes Gremlins fun. Despite these flaws, I liked this movie, and want to see all of it's terrible sequels.

2 / 5 :spooky:s

Movies Watched
NEW: I Walked With A Zombie, Dead & Buried, The Mummy ('59), The Resurrected, Critters, Cemetery Man, Roadgames ('81), mother!, Christine, Willow Creek, Castle Freak, Wait Until Dark, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Shroud, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, The Uncanny, Venom, Tales of Terror, Body Bags, Spirited Away, Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Asylum, Curse of Frankenstein, Ghoulies
REWATCH: The Return of the Living Dead, Pumpkinhead, Night of the Creeps, Demons, Demon Knight, Suspiria, Friday the 13th: Part 2, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Black Sabbath, Halloween ('78), Trick 'r Treat, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Carrie, Creepshow 2
SHORT FILMS (not counted in goal): Junk Head 1;
TOTAL: 38

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:

After you finish posting your reviews, please take the time to create another post with a list of every movie you watched, preferably with your rating/review (not written review, just star/spooky/etc.).

Also, if you can, please post which movie was your favorite this season, with a concentration on something new to you (though it's not mandatory, you're more than welcome to pick an old favorite if you want. I know sometimes old favorites click even better on a rewatch, like Carrie did for me this year.)

Also, go ahead and post which movie was your least favorite, just to compare and contrast.

If you'd like to add some final thoughts to the post as well, it'd be fun and appreciated. I know I personally love to read about peoples thoughts about their challenges, some people find interesting thematic threads spread across the movies they watched (like how I somehow watched a bunch of zombie and re-animated dead films unintentionally this year.)

Some of you have already started doing this without me asking, so those who have, thank you, you don't need to repost it. (I'll be posting mine later this morning.)

I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Here's everything I watched. The theme was "movies I've never seen before."

Ratings: 5 - perfection; 4 - really enjoyed it; 3 - a good time; 2 - meh; 1 - want this time back.

1. Hellraiser - 4/5
2. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 - 3/5
3. Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell - 2/5
4. The Void - 3/5
5. Phantasm: Remastered - 2/5
6. Phantasm 2 - 4/5
7. Messiah of Evil - 4/5
8. I Drink Your Blood - 3/5
9. Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship and Videotape and Video Nasties: Draconian Days - 3/5
10. You're So Cool Brewster: The Story of Fright Night - 3/5
11. The Dead Next Door - 2/5
12. Patchwork - 3/5
13. The Visitor - 3/5
14. Burial Ground - 3/5
15. Undead - 1/5
16. The Living Dead Girl - 3/5
17. Beyond the Black Rainbow - 4/5
18. Hell of the Living Dead - 2/5
19. The Vault of Horror - 3/5
20. ABCs of Death 2 - 2/5
21. Spirits of the Dead - 3/5
22. Pieces - 3/5
23. Dead of Night - 3/5
24. Chillerama - 1/5
25. IT - 4/5
26. Mutant - 3/5
27. Re-Animator - 3/5
28. Black Sunday - 2/5
29. Phenomena - 4/5
30. Suspiria - 3/5
31. Sleepaway Camp - 3/5

My favorite was Phenomena - really bizarre, loved the cinematography and music, great rapport between the leads.

Honorable mentions: Phantasm 2 (very Evil Dead 2 and a lot of fun), The Visitor (so mind-boggling it got made), Beyond the Black Rainbow (style over substance worked for me), and IT (great adaptation, great cast).

The worst? Chillerama. Not even because it was "bad" but because the filmmakers clearly thought they were so smart and funny. Ugh.

This was a great time. There were a lot of "classics" here I'd never seen and I wanted to fix that, or movies that I remembered the VHS box for in the '80s that fascinated me (for the most part, they nearly all didn't deliver), so it was a great excuse to spend the time checking it out.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Final list;
1. Evolution 2.5/5
2. Tremors 3/5
3. Wrong Turn 3/5
4. The Hitcher 2.5/5
5. A Field in England 2.5/5
6. Shock Waves 1/5
7. The Blackcoat’s Daughter 3.5/5
8. I Am Not a Serial Killer 4/5
9. What We Become 2/5
0. Patchwork 3.5/5
11. The Lure 5/5
12. Near Dark 3/5
13. The Asphyx 3/5
14. The Autopsy of Jane Doe 3.5/5
15. Road Games 2.5/5
16. Siren 3/5
17. Shivers 2/5
18. Pieces 2/5
19. The Exorcist 3/5
20. Minutes Past Midnight 3/5
21. The Hidden 3.5/5
22. The Stuff 3/5
23. Blade Runner 2049 4.5/5
24. The Mummy 2/5
25. The Babysitter 4/5
26. Dellamorte Dellamore / Cemetery Man 3/5
27. Kairo / Pulse 3/5
28. Tales from the Hood 3/5
29. Braindead / Dead Alive 3/5
30. Murder Party 2.5/5
31.The Editor 4/5
32. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 2.5/5

Like every year my goal was to watch stuff I've never seen before, with one or two classics that I have seen before in there just in case things got to too dire.

My favorite movie was The Lure. It was something unique and very enjoyable.
I also had a blast with The Babysitter, I Am Not a Serial Killer and Patchwork
Looking at this I think this year horror-comedies were really my vibe. I enjoy things like Night of the Creeps and Return of the Living Dead a lot, so this was no real surprise.

My least favorite one was probably Shock Waves. The crazy concept of underwater Nazi zombies was just completely wasted.
Guess I got my hopes up too much, same for the re-watch of The Exorcist which left me lukewarm.

Things like The Hitcher and Road Games confirmed what I already knew; I enjoy supernatural stuff a lot more than slashers/thrillers.

The combination of The Editor and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage made me realize that I like the idea of giallo more than I like giallo itself. There are many things I adore about giallo, but they never come together in a way that makes me love the movie as a whole.

The early start didn't help me much since I was moving, but I made it to 31 without any problems.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Here's my final list, with star ratings

Rewatches
Maniac Cop***
Friday the 13th 3 **
Friday the 13th 4 ***1/2
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 ***1/2
The Lost Boys ***1/2
Land of the Dead **
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 **1/2
Friday the 13th 6 ***1/2
The Babadook *****
Hocus Pocus. **1/2
It Follows ****
The Monster Squad ****1/2
Trick 'R Treat ***1/2

First time watches
Mortuary *
Little Evil **1/2
Eloise 1/2*
Mother! ****
The Roommate *
The Chaos Experiment 1/2*
Resident Evil 6 *
Vacancy **
Rings *
The Stepfather **
Train to Busan ***
Dracula's Daughter ***
Son of Dracula ***
Cult of Chucky **
Gerald's Game ***
The Return of Dracula *
The Fog ***
Sssssss! ***
Happy Death Day **1/2
the Babysitter **1/2
The Changeling ***
It Comes at Night **
phantasm 2 **1/2
Death Spa **1/2
Hell HouseLLC ***1/2
Ghostwatch ***1/2

Pretty much anything I rate 2 stars and up is worth checking out. The best of the first time watches was mother!, but it's not especially scary. Hell house and Ghostwatch are also excellent.

I wish I had more time to re-watch some favorites, but most of the new ones I checked out were good enough.

Edit: the worst was The Chaos Experiment, as it was completely non-sensical and was just a shorty movie overall.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Here is my final list, with rewatches denoted by asterisks:

1) Beyond the Black Rainbow 1/5
2) Rabid 5/5
3) The Driller Killer 4/5
4) Phantasm* 5/5
5) Phantasm II 5/5
6) Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead 5/5
7) Phantasm IV: Oblivion 4/5
8) Phantasm V: Ravager 2/5
9) The Prowler 4/5
10) The House of the Devil 5/5
11) From Beyond 5/5
12) Gremlins 2: The New Batch 5/5
13) Apt Pupil 5/5
14) Wait Until Dark 4/5
15) Gerald's Game 5/5
16) Hell House LLC 2/5
17) Black Swan* 5/5
18) Happy Birthday To Me 5/5
19) Pieces 3/5
20) Trollhunter 4/5
21) As Above So Below 5/5
22) The Devil's Candy 4/5
23) Antibirth 4/5
24) Chopping Mall 5/5
25) The Terminator* 5/5
26) Death Note 2/5
27) Ghostwatch 5/5
28) Baskin 4/5
29) Let the Right One In 5/5
30) Inferno 4/5
31) Tetsuo: The Iron Man 5/5
32) Starry Eyes 4/5
33) Hardware* 5/5
34) Halloween* 5/5
35) Halloween III: Season of the Witch* 5/5
36) Creepshow 5/5
37) Jurassic Park* 5/5
38) Inside 4/5

My Favorite Movie - Gremlins 2: The New Batch
This movie is so chaotic, goofy, and most importantly fun that I can’t help but pick it. It made perfect sense while I watched it, but the more I think about it, the more gleefully confused I get, and the more I laugh and ask myself “what the gently caress did I watch?” It’s a non-stop joyride from start to finish, and I’m glad this challenge pushed me to watch it.

My Least Favorite Movie - Beyond the Black Rainbow
I know this will be heresy to some, but I just couldn’t stand this movie. It’s so painfully dull and slow, without a lot of mystery to keep me interested like the other mega slow-burn on my list, House of the Devil. I can totally see why some people love this movie, but I just absolutely did not find it entertaining in the least.

My Biggest Surprise - Phantasm IV: Oblivion
gently caress you, Franchescanado, I’m making my own new category! Even though this movie shows its budget more clearly than any of the preceding Phantasms, it takes the series in a wildly different direction than I expected, and it feels a lot more personal and raw than I could have possibly expected from a DTV installment 19 years after the original movie.

Final Thoughts
I used this challenge as an excuse to catch up on some classics I’d been meaning to see forever, and a chance to watch more FF and slasher movies, and I’m so glad I did. Even if I didn’t like all the movies I saw, I’m glad I watched them all, and I had a blast posting in the thread and talking about some of my favorites. Big thanks to Franchescanado and MacheteZombie for organizing this, and I’ll gladly join in next year as well!

• Locked thread