Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm in until I burn myself out. I participated in the May challenge and got some genre fatigue from it, but I'm over that and hopefully the spooky spirit of the season will keep me going. Here's my list of stuff I've not seen (or saw so long ago I can't remember them, like The Invisible Man) that I've been meaning to get to:

https://boxd.it/1d0um

Hopefully I'll get through most of those during this while giving me the freedom to watch whatever nonsense that strikes my fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#1: Near Dark (1987)

What's really cool about this movie, I think, is that the characters being vampires is almost unnecessary. With a few small tweaks you could make the same movie and have it be a bunch of run-of-the-mill murdering scumbags. It really captures that unique feeling you get when you start sobering up and you realize the party you're at isn't really the kind of party you're comfortable with. I want to rewatch The Lost Boys since it came out the same year, and I remember it being more fantasy wish fulfillment than this movie. At no point are you really envious of the main character in Near Dark, he's in a hosed up situation from jump. Well I guess I'm envious that he gets to hang out with Bill Paxton -even though he's playing a murderous psycho in this.

Have ya heard the one about Buffalo Bill?

Awesome movie. 9/10

Arivia posted:

Cool, thanks Untrustable.

I just watched Green Room for my first movie. I think it counts, I'm bad at distinguishing horror and thrillers sometimes but people were talking about it in the horror thread. I'll post some thoughts tomorrow but I'm in bed alone, it's pitch black and I'm watching the movie on my phone. Just as a gunshot goes off in the film, something long and slimy drops from the ceiling onto me. I grab it, squeeze it hopefully to death, throw it away from me and against the wall, pause the movie and spend a minute freaking the gently caress out before turning the movie back on. It was probably just a centipede, but gently caress.

There's no way Green Room doesn't count, you can tell it counts because it scared you even when you were watching it on your phone. I love Green Room.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#2: Dead Awake (2016)

I don't mind a low budget or a slow burn in a horror movie, in fact I kind of prefer them, but there's no real payoff here. All the scares and monsters feel borrowed, and the subject matter just reminds you of movies that did it better. The script makes it seem like whoever wrote it knows what sleep paralysis is like, but the opportunity for capturing nightmare imagery and insomnia felt wasted to me. Near Dark was way more dreamlike than this movie, and this movies explicitly about dreaming. It also doesn't help that the plot's dumb and down right arbitrary at times.

2/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Are you defending Phantasm or Demons? Because Demons was fun but inoffensive. Phantasm made me want my time back, it stole my afternoon from me.

They're for sure defending both.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#3: Noroi (2005)

I'm not sure how I avoided this one so long. It's long, and probably has one too many climaxes, but the switching between regular found footage, news coverage, TV shows and interview segments keeps it from getting boring. It also has plenty of lore in it (historians looking at scrolls to learn about the demon, etc.) which I'm a sucker for no matter how cliched it is. Are the other mockmentaries by the director as good as this?

Also this part is pretty weird:

7/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#4: House II: The Second Story (1987)

This is barely a horror movie, if at all. It's a wacky fantasy adventure that features cowboy mummies, caterpillar dogs and baby pterodactyls. It also features a billion other weird things. It reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China more than anything, albeit a much less successful version of it.

I'm an idiot so I still enjoyed it on some level. 5/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Ghost Cars and Haunted Automobiles:

Man, I was looking something exactly this dumb yesterday and came up empty. I'm jealous.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Plus Tobe Hooper just died, so it's even more appropriate.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I got this crazy friend who wants to know if rewatching The Paul Lynde Halloween Special would count for this?

I'm asking for a friend.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

How long is it?

50:37 :(

Guess it doesn't count, but it's a loving shitshow and it's on YouTube if anyone wants to see it:

https://youtu.be/4psTeRpQ-1o

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#5: The Hills Have Eyes (1977)[ (rewatch)

This is well trod ground and it's taken me forever to come in here to add this so I'll keep it short. It's weird how I liked cliches in this movie that I normally roll my eyes at, I guess because it help originate them? Family pet death as a bloody preamble to the actual movie, sticking a baby in there in a blatant effort to raise the stakes -it all works here. It's really cool how as the movie goes on it's less of a slaughter and more of a war of attrition between two families. Dog revenge is awesome, the abrupt end to film is awesome, the whole thing is awesome.

10/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Hills Have Eyes is definitely a story of dog revenge and the dog is absolutely the main character.

In your mind are the dogs husband and wife or brother and sister?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ughhhh I haven't watched a horror movie for over 48 hours. Gonna do some catching up this weekend.

On the plus side, I was looking at Starz and for $8 I can have access to like 3 movies I was planning on paying to rent anyway(The Funhouse being one of them), PLUS they have all the Friday the 13th's and a few Halloween sequels that I wouldn't otherwise be able to watch.

It's kind of annoying that Starz had two levels of premium cable or whatever. Get off your high horse Starz.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Awwww LOOK OUT, its the 23rd day of the month of September...

It's Little Shop of Horrors day!

#6: Little Shop of Horrors (1986) (umpteenth rewatch)

I've loved this movie since I was like 8 or something. The cast is awesome, the songs are all great (Alan Menken, so of course they are), and it hit that sweet spot of scaring me but not scarring me as a kid. The jokey horror is a bit muted in the film adaptation, since the dark ending is converted into a super-happy ending in this version. This also cuts the big musical finish (Don't Feed the Plants) which has always stuck me as a bit odd. I don't have the energy or time to really write this up like I'd want, but I wanted to indicate that I watched this now (since it's Little Shop of Horrors Day, obviously).

A lot of folks deserve to die, thread.

10/10

edit: In the play, the movie takes place on the 21st, but bizarrely the movie makes it the 23rd. I don't think they mention the date in the Corman picture, but I could be mistaken. It's been a while since I watched it.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 23, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Movie #14: Magic

Magic is awesome. Hopkins is great like you said, but the supporting cast is pretty good too. I really like Burgess Meredith in it. On a related note Shudder has one episode of a TV documentary series called Primal Screen that's supposed to be about movies that terrified you as a kid, and the one episode that exists is about Magic. Specifically the TV advertisement for it. It's a good idea for a show, sucks that it died on the vine I guess.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#7. The Invisible Man (1933) (rewatch)

Really cool old fashioned special effects. I can't imagine people weren't totally blown away by them in the 30s, I can't think of anything else from the era that compares to it outside of elaborate stop motion stuff like King Kong. It might rely on the effects a little too much sometimes, playing it for a bunch of sight gags and all, but I don't mind. The humor sprinkled through out the movie only adds to its charm. I guess one criticism I have is that the Invisible Man doesn't really have any clear motivation other than "He's gone mad!"

It's also got this guy saying "Wots all this then??" so that's pretty great:

9/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Linnea Quigley stands out (of course) for her nudity, her bizarre sexual characterization, and a disturbing flesh-colored codpiece which is more horrific than pubic hair or actual genitalia.

Seeing that weird codpiece is a product of the HD era. On VHS I just assumed she was totally naked.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've been kinda of behind with this thread and watching movies for a week or so, but here's some short write ups of things I squeezed in.

#8: Roadgames (1981)

Pretty drat cool movie I've never heard of (thanks thread, and Shudder). Rear Window on wheels I guess, and because of that I'd say it's more of a thriller than pure horror. Keach and Curtis are as charming as you'd expect, but it is a bit confusing to see them dropped into rural Australia with little explanation. Like why would an American guy relocated to the other side of the world just to drive a truck? Also, I'm not sure I get the boat guys motivation to ram his beloved boat into a semi out of revenge for a broken windshield. That's not to say I didn't kinda like it.

6.5/10

#9: Q - The Winged Serpent (1982)

This crazy rear end movie has been talked about in the main horror thread plenty, and I'm just getting to it now. I can confirm it is indeed loving weird and crazy and "good bad" and also legit good at parts. I like that the giant monster bird "hides in the sunlight" to ambush people and somehow is able to do this in the middle of Manhattan, somehow hiding in the sunlight that obscures the vision of like a million peoples different perspectives. I would have liked it better if I'd seen it with a big group I bet.

4.5/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Other than In the mouth of madness, Dagon might be the best lovecraft movie ever, so it might be the Original Famous Ray's you've been looking for after a lifetime of s'barro

It depends on how broad you want to define "lovecraft movie." The Thing is heavily influenced by At the Mountains of Madness, so in a way that might be the best one. Even In the Mouth of Madness isn't based on anything specific from Lovecraft.

Anyway the answer is clearly Re-animator.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
drat I've never heard of Stone Tape. I might watch that tonight.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't know why I've been not wanting to write these up, even though I've enjoyed watching a these spooky movies. :effort: I guess.

#10: The Descent (2005) (rewatch)

I haven't seen this since it came out and it really holds up. It might be the best from that decade. Some random thoughts:

1) It makes a surprisingly good double feature with The Thing. One's all female and one's all male, they both have diverse casts (outside of gender) that are pushed to their extremes in remote environments, and they both deal with mistrust.

2) I forgot that it takes place in western NC, as a filthy hillbilly originating from there I dig that.

3) The ending is some straight up Robert E. Howard poo poo:

4) The ending stinger is the only bad part.

10/10

#11: The Thing (1982) (rewatch)

I love this movie, clearly. Random thoughts:

1) Good double feature with The Descent.

2) Kurt Russel is awesome and great.

3) His hat is great in this.

4) It is a good movie:

10/10

#12: Lights Out (2016)

Felt like it was built out of building blocks from a Build Your Own Scary Movie Kit. Every scare felt borrowed and fell flat to me. I don't get why it was reviewed so high. I mean it's not outrageously bad, it's just bland as hell. Also how do you have a character that looks like this and not kill him horribly:

2/10

#13: The Stone Tape (1972)

Thanks thread! This is a very good sunday morning horror movie/ghost story. Also thanks, old timey BBC.

8/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Split is, if anything, better than The Visit. Definitely worth checking out.

Yes but did Split have a poopy diaper reveal? I think not. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BioTech posted:

The first one was terrible, but I enjoyed the second one quite a bit.
It is hard to believe they are part of the same series.

#15 Roadgames (1981)
Decent thriller and a nice change of pace from my regular supernatural horror stuff. Dug the abandoned telegraph station, crashing the boat and the ending.
I'll still return to supernatural stuff for the rest of my challenge, but no regrets here.

I still don't get that boat guy's endgame. What did he think was going to happen?

#14: The House of the Devil (2009) (rewatch)

It's weird, the older this movie gets the less points the retro style and period work it gets from me. Maybe I'm used to it? It's still definitely able to capture that early 80s feel better than later attempts. Random thoughts:

1) Tom Noonan is great in this
2) It's kind of a bummer the friend character gets killed so early, she's fun.
3) The build up out shines the climax.

8.5/10

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 10, 2017

• Locked thread