Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Old action-adventure shows from the 60s, I suppose. Mission: Impossible and The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Avengers and the various ITC productions and so on. They wouldn't lend themselves to having series-long storylines but they're the sort of things that would have a overarching season-long story if they were produced today and I think that would suit them.

Of course, all those old Lew Grade shows - The Champions, The Saint, Department S, Man In a Suitcase - would be crossing over with each other as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

There's apparently a new Saint show on Netflix

Thought it was just a one-off but will have to check.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There must be a Wild Wild West reboot waiting to happen. You could even have Jim West as an African-American lawman in Reconstruction times like in the Will Smith movie, but unlike the Will Smith movie (because I'm pretty sure it had been in development then was repurposed as a Will Smith vehicle) you'd have room to explore that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toplowtech posted:

I see your wild wild west and i say Mission Impossible. Set in the 60s and not a tom cruise vehicle.

See my first post in the thread. :v:

You've got the Arrowverse today, so you could have the same thing except with Mission Impossible, Man From UNCLE, various ITC shows etc. (Kim Newman to be hired as head writer).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One older BBC programme that actually did have a degree of serialisation was The Omega Factor with James Hazeldine and Louise Jameson; premise was that a journalist (Hazeldine) discovers he has extra-sensory powers when he survives a car wreck which kills his wife, so he teams up with a shadowy government research group to pursue the evil psychic (Cyril Luckham) responsible for causing the accident.

It only lasted about 10 episodes and only more or less finished its story; it didn't really have the space it needed to fully explore its ideas. Hazeldine's character goes back to London after spending the series in Edinburgh (it was a BBC Scotland production) after Luckham's villain is killed, but after he leaves, his boss at the aforesaid research project is met by a mysterious woman and disappears, so there was a hook for more stories.

It's a pretty good series and a precursor to a lot of "street-level mystery sci-fi" stuff like The X-Files that would become popular in the 1990s. If you brought that back and gave it to, say, Paul Abbott or even Charlie Booker, you could get a lot of mileage out of it. It's a rare series that I think would lend itself very well to having this big storyline with conspiracies and mysteries which weaves throughout an entire series run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

actually I wish there were less arc-based shows and more episodic ones because I would rather watch one show where they wrap the story up in an hour and then go do something else. Im sure all these new shows are great but I have avoided them because I dont want to get tied up watching 7 seasons of something just to see what happens

Sure, there's a lot of appeal in being able to dip in and out of something. You need something to occupy your time for an hour, you can just stick on an episode of something like TNG and it'll keep you entertained.

• Locked thread