Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Like some of you out there, I started watching television in the late 1980s, and I have good memories of sitting in front of a black and white television screen, watching reruns of TV shows that seemed great and interesting. Of course, almost 30 years later, when I go back and watch those television shows, there is a lot missing. I can see where the plot is ending up before I start, and there is not much that changes from episode to episode. I've been spoiled by arc-based and "prestige" television, where watching an episode is interesting because we want to see what happens next.

But lots of those old shows had great characters, and some good drama. If they were adapted into an "arc-based" show, how would they flourish in the modern day? Which shows would work, which wouldn't?

These are three shows that I think would make interesting arc-based shows.

1. Night Court. This half hour comedy from the 1980s varied between drama, standard sit-com plots, and wacky/surreal comedy. It had a large cast, but most of them were stuck with a single character trait. It would be interesting to see what could happen if the idea was relaunched with more character development, and an ongoing plot.

2. The Secret World of Alex Mack: Nickelodeon show from the 1990s, about a teenage girl who gets super powers. It varied between science-fiction plots, and her having typical junior high problems. It was fun as a kid, but the plots are predictable now, and the special effects need updating.

3. Perry Mason. This show is famous for its hokey endings where the real criminal loudly confesses from the gallery, but many of the episodes have good legal drama and investigation before that point: they just need to wrap it up in under an hour, and that made the stories seemed rushed. More time would give legal drama in a less corny fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

KoRMaK posted:

Would The Wire satisfy this request?

I don't know much about The Wire, but I don't think it is the type of show that would have an animated Wile E. Coyote on it, right?

Arc-driven Night Court would probably look a lot like Parks and Rec, only more so.

• Locked thread