Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

I just don't agree. Canelo was backed up against the ropes so often in those middle rounds and throwing mostly single shots while GGG was throwing and landing a lot of combinations. The way those rounds played out I just don't get how you could find a Canelo win. I thought Lederman's card was spot on.

Except he wasn't landing a lot of combination punching. He was throwing a lot of combinations and landing shots here and there. The rounds had a pretty clear pattern to them (I think mostly due to Canelo being able to recover better being a younger fighter, compared to GGG's visible difficulties between rounds)...Canelo fights hard for the first 30 seconds of a round, usually landing at least 1-2 clearly defined shots. GGG starts stalking him down and the pattern continues for most of the round. Some rounds Canelo would hit GGG on the inside with visibly clear shots (uppercuts mostly) and GGG would try to jab away.

Some people prefer hooks and uppercuts to thudding jabs. Some of the rounds GGG landed more cleanly, and likely won those rounds cleanly on cards that weren't Byrd's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Lid posted:

yes troll who claims 114-114 was worse than 118-110 canelo

I'm not trolling. I love GGG and never claimed the 118-110 was worse, but a draw is a bad decision.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/agaz996/status/909271501450485761

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
im not trolling im just retarded

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

gtkor posted:

Except he wasn't landing a lot of combination punching. He was throwing a lot of combinations and landing shots here and there. The rounds had a pretty clear pattern to them (I think mostly due to Canelo being able to recover better being a younger fighter, compared to GGG's visible difficulties between rounds)...Canelo fights hard for the first 30 seconds of a round, usually landing at least 1-2 clearly defined shots. GGG starts stalking him down and the pattern continues for most of the round. Some rounds Canelo would hit GGG on the inside with visibly clear shots (uppercuts mostly) and GGG would try to jab away.

Some people prefer hooks and uppercuts to thudding jabs. Some of the rounds GGG landed more cleanly, and likely won those rounds cleanly on cards that weren't Byrd's.

Yeah Canelo looking visibly gassed while getting walked down in the later rounds showed me that he was better at recovering.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

he owns

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
I had it 115-113 GGG, Canelo took rds 1-3 and 11-12 imo. Draw isn't the worst, but I'm so sick of Byrd getting to not watch fights and hand in garbage. Just have the third judge be the internet. Add up the average of everyone scoring on the HBO app (or UFC app or SHO) and announce that. It'd be a far more realistic score.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think I may not have typed it out right, but the point I was going for was that Canelo would start the rounds quicker because he recovered between rounds better than an older GGG. There wasn't much doubt Canelo was feeling the pressure GGG provided during the rounds.

Had Canelo 1,3,5,11,12 myself

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Andro posted:

I'm not trolling. I love GGG and never claimed the 118-110 was worse, but a draw is a bad decision.

Andro posted:

The draw card was the worst. Horrible decision.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gtkor posted:

Its not like a Canelo card was impossible, even like a 116-112 wouldnt be totally bonkers

WHich loving 8 (!) Rounds could Alvarez even remotely be said to have won?

hrollins
May 20, 2003
I'm eagerly awaiting a pic of the official scores for this one.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

you would have to give him 1-3, 5, 10-12 and one more.

It wouldn't be a great card, but I don't think it would have been totally unreasonable given how the styles meshed and the things that Canelo actually did well in the fight.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

hrollins posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting a pic of the official scores for this one.

Got u fam

https://twitter.com/sheldankeay/status/909271097840951296

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

💯

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

like canelo was impressive. did really, really well. he's clearly going to dominate the division in the years to come. but rn, ggg is just plainly better.

a rematch was on the cards even if ggg won. it could've been a nice passing of the torch kinda thing. but it's all hosed up now. gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sorry Canelo but I hope GGG knocks your whole head into Byrd's lap in the rematch.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

like even byrd gave round 7 to golovkin, trella

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Odd that Don Trella gave Canelo the 7th, and that all three scored the 10th for him as well.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gtkor posted:

I think I may not have typed it out right, but the point I was going for was that Canelo would start the rounds quicker because he recovered between rounds better than an older GGG. There wasn't much doubt Canelo was feeling the pressure GGG provided during the rounds.

Had Canelo 1,3,5,11,12 myself

He came out throwing and then stopped cause he was gassing every round

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adalaide Byrd is literally a running joke in combat sports, but it stopped being funny way too long ago.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lmao

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant the draw was a bad decision. I wasn't even taking into account how ridiculous the Byrd card was. I could see it scored for GGG, but I just saw one of the close rounds in the middle for Canelo.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I don't watch boxing. Does Byrd have a history of bad judging? Where can I read more about her?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't watch boxing. Does Byrd have a history of bad judging? Where can I read more about her?

Yes

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bioshuffle posted:

Google. At this point it's the only thing she is known for.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

She was also a terrible MMA judge but hasn't seemed to be active lately

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Clear GGG win. Glad to see Byrd is still a corrupt bullshit oval office of a fraud. Cant wait for a rematch!!!!!

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with Judge Byrd.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Real talk a draw is not insane, I don't agree with it necessarily but there were a few rounds close enough that I can see somebody living on earth scoring it a draw, but I see that as about as likely as like, 9-3 GGG, with GGG winning by 1 or 2 rounds the most reasonable options.

10-2 Canelo hurts

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bioshuffle posted:

Yes and it also feeds the narrative of Golden Boy paying off judges in Canelo fights. See: 114-114 Mayweather where a judge lost their job over it, and the huge blowout cards in Canelo v Cotto.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I posted more thoughts in the main thread but imo Golovkin shouldn't take the rematch. Beat Saunders in Kazakhstan and unify or grant Cotto his death wish and retire. Imo he won but there is something to the talk of him getting older and he will never get a fair shake against Canelo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
This weekend we had a hugely anticipated bout between two of the absolute best in the business in their prime.

Kazakh powerhouse Gennady Golovkin defended his titles against Mexican counterpuncher Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in a middleweight showdown that harkened back to the 1980s heyday of the Four Kings - Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran.

After the circus of Mayweather-McGregor a few weeks ago, it was a chance to showcase a real boxing match.

It was pure. The best fighting the best for all the marbles.

And – as is so rare in combat sport these days – the fight truly lived up to the hype.

It was give and take for 12 keenly contested rounds. 36 minutes of high-level sanctioned violence.

Then Adalaide Byrd happened.

Adalaide Byrd is a judge. She’s not a very good one. She shouldn’t have a job after this.

It was a close fight, with some rounds hard to split, but somehow Byrd – sitting ringside – scored it 118-110 for Canelo. That means she awarded the Mexican 10 of the 12 rounds.

This is patently ridiculous.

It’s borderline criminal.

Not even the NRL’s Bunker has got a decision so ludicrously, obviously and frustratingly wrong.

So instead of everyone talking about GGG-Canelo as a Fight of the Year contender, we're talking about one judge's pure incompetence. 

Instead of being able to celebrate and say to the casual fans 'see, this is real boxing,' we're apologsing, because unfortunately, that was real boxing. 

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/TheLatinSnake_/status/909266074809507840

Lol

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/909283651380219904

hrollins
May 20, 2003

Thank you. It's somehow more ridiculous than I imagined. I don't even know why I watch fights anymore, the judges don't seem to, and they get a prime seat and get paid to do it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/909282798883676160

Even Bob "The guys in your truck told me the punch unequivocally came after the bell" Bennett says you did a bad job maybe that's a sign......

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lid posted:

This weekend we had a hugely anticipated bout between two of the absolute best in the business in their prime.

Kazakh powerhouse Gennady Golovkin defended his titles against Mexican counterpuncher Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in a middleweight showdown that harkened back to the 1980s heyday of the Four Kings - Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran.

After the circus of Mayweather-McGregor a few weeks ago, it was a chance to showcase a real boxing match.

It was pure. The best fighting the best for all the marbles.

And – as is so rare in combat sport these days – the fight truly lived up to the hype.

It was give and take for 12 keenly contested rounds. 36 minutes of high-level sanctioned violence.

Then Adalaide Byrd happened.

Adalaide Byrd is a judge. She’s not a very good one. She shouldn’t have a job after this.

It was a close fight, with some rounds hard to split, but somehow Byrd – sitting ringside – scored it 118-110 for Canelo. That means she awarded the Mexican 10 of the 12 rounds.

This is patently ridiculous.

It’s borderline criminal.

Not even the NRL’s Bunker has got a decision so ludicrously, obviously and frustratingly wrong.

So instead of everyone talking about GGG-Canelo as a Fight of the Year contender, we're talking about one judge's pure incompetence. 

Instead of being able to celebrate and say to the casual fans 'see, this is real boxing,' we're apologsing, because unfortunately, that was real boxing. 

:qq:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The best part about Bird's card is that Canelo humbly only gave himself 7 or 8 rounds in his post fight interview.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
According to Bryan Armen Graham of The Guardian, Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett defended Byrd after he controversial decision.

"That's the life of a judge," Bennett said. "She had a bad night in a big fight. She saw the fight in a different way."

Byrd has a history among those in the boxing circles. She scored Canelo Alvarez's one-sided victory over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. with a 120–108 card. In Alvarez's sixth round knockout of Amir Khan, she had scored it 48–47 in favor of Khan before he went down.

Didnt even know about the Khan card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

That one UFC GDT Blue Deanie wrote about the blind judge was about her, right?

• Locked thread