Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

tesilential posted:

The best part about Bird's card is that Canelo humbly only gave himself 7 or 8 rounds in his post fight interview.

Shameful as fck

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo like "I thought I won, but 10 rounds is ridiculous, seems fishy to me"

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Caught 6-12 and thought ggg possibly won all of those, but mostly cause canelo was gassy and didn't throw much. I feel like they both took each other's best punches and am more hyped for the rematch than the original

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/909279022370062338

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

boxing, mayweather vs conor is long over, you're not supposed to keep being a sideshow

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

lol

At what point does accountability kick in? Ahahah of course it never will. I know judging is hard. I know there's wiggle room. But if you score multiple fights drastically differently than your colleagues, the reporters ringside, and the audience, in ways that seem completely undefendable, maybe it's a sign that you're not cut out from this and need some job training, holy poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat man I wanna be a judge

Yo canelo / golden boy wassup hit me up fam I'll dm you my bank info later

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
That judge should be fired and investigated

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That judge should be fired and investigated

If she could be punished in any way she would have been many years ago.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

FEMALE REPORTER You’ve still breached the guidelines.

ROBBO I’m glad you’ve got such a high opinion of me, Nicole, but I’m not responsible for everything
that happens in the preparation of these games. Nor can I do everything. Kevin Nowra of my office is in charge of the day-to-day operations at Homebush.

NICOLE There’s talk that his position is under review.

Fran makes a call on her mobile phone.

ROBBO Look, I’ll make this clear enough, even for you, Nicole. Kevin Nowra has my complete support.

Back at the office.

BRYAN That’s it for Kevin then.

JOHN Yes. Say goodnight to the folks, Kevin.

MR WILSON He’ll be right. He’s got Robbo’s complete support.

JOHN Having Robbo’s full support is often the last sound people hear. They just hear they have Robbo’s full confidence and a nice man pops a bag over their head.

Back at the press conference…

FRAN (on mobile phone) Hold on, hold on a minute. (to Gina) What did he say?

GINA He said Kevin Nowra has his complete support.

FRAN (on mobile phone) Forget that. Call Nowra and get his carpark pass. He’s gone apparently.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGNCwpabnE

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

holy poo poo the amount of people that lost money on this fight

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I absolutely love boxing, but when poo poo like this happens it really really makes me hate it. Is it really a wonder boxing is dying?

It feels like they setting up a rematch from the start, but the thing is that rematch was already going to happen no matter what. Too much money to be made to not do it again.

Even worse the storyline (I almost feel like o described wrestling) would probably have been better with a GGG win and Canelo trying to avenge it VS two guys annoyed at an absolutely poo poo judge.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
on the one hand adalaide byrd and half of the nsac should be in jail and would be if somebody guessed their pet's name to get into their yahoo mail account. on the other i'd like this ridiculous bullshit to keep happening because teddy atlas losing his mind is really entertaining.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwH4eA3C2mc

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

This is bullshit, straight up.

Anyway, what I don't understand is if you're a corrupt judge, why score it 118-110 when that's a blatant lie, why not just go for something a little more sane like 115-113 and keep the heat off you? Is it because the judges have to submit their scores round by round so she just wanted to make really sure Canelo got the win?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bonus posted:

This is bullshit, straight up.

Anyway, what I don't understand is if you're a corrupt judge, why score it 118-110 when that's a blatant lie, why not just go for something a little more sane like 115-113 and keep the heat off you? Is it because the judges have to submit their scores round by round so she just wanted to make really sure Canelo got the win?

Because she's incompetent.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Because she's incompetent.

Yeah no way you get paid to come up with that score because as we're seeing absolutely nobody is buying it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think Canelo fought a perfect fight for the first three rounds. Stayed in the middle of the ring, moved around the outside when he needed and didn't let the ring get cut off, and was laying some pretty decent shots.

But he just seemed to tire out so quickly and begin letting himself get stalked around the ring.

Does moving up from 154 to 160 really make that much of a difference with conditioning? He got tired so fast it seemed like.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I thought going up in weight was supposed to help because you don't have to cut as much weight.

Canelo got tired and that's with ggg doing zero body work out of fear he might get hit with a big counter. He took canelos best and it didn't faze him. If he works the body early in their rematch he'll stop him.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Canelo has always had poo poo stamina and he bulked up muscle-wise quite a bit for this fight which made it even worse

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://twitter.com/maravillabox/status/909284855971762176

the king has spoken

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The ginger Sven Ottke strikes again

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is it possible Byrd has crafted this reputation on purpose as cover?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As the outsider looking in, these cards are so mysterious. When they make sense, like Dave Moretti (who basically had the Ledderman card) you can assume he was thinking the same things everyone else was (and probably actually watches and likes boxing, good for him, what a fun job he has!). Or even Don Trella, who seems to have called it like he saw it and I can understand his choices, even if I personally would probably never be able to judge a pro fight a draw just for economic reasons for the fighters.

But with Byrd, I just want an interview with her. Because the numbers on the card are so cryptic, but just give me 30 seconds where someone asks: "why? tell me what you saw". Because her answer is going to reveal, immediately, that she shouldn't judge fights. Both Dave and Don could give credible views of the fight, I'm betting. But Adelaide can't, and leaving it at just the card, left like a dropped mic, gives the scoring a kind of legitimacy, or at least an unassailability.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
At the post fight press conference De La Hoya gave Byrd credibility saying "she's judged a lot of championship fights before" or some poo poo.

Well no poo poo dumbass, people have such a problem with her because she has a history of this, not because this was a one-off.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Adelaide Bird is the wife of Robert Byrd, who reffed McGregor-Mayweather

Are they both on the take?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

eric posted:

I thought going up in weight was supposed to help because you don't have to cut as much weight.

Canelo just isn't natural at that weight. People were so stoked because he looks buff, but boxing isn't bodybuilding, putting that much muscle on means you have to eat extra and lift extra to get comfortably up to that weight, and then burn it down at the end. All GGG has to do is just watch his diet and cardio to get down to 160.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo was famous for cutting a lot of weight to get down to 154, he's really good at weight cutting. Now that he's moved to 160 it seems like he's bulking up even more and cutting down the same amount rather than doing a smaller cut. It's a choice a lot of fighters face in whether they should bulk up more to be stronger in the ring or cut less weight to have more stamina.

Canelo looks like an extremely natural MW to me.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it's hard to say for sure what's going on when you're blind and hanging upside down as well

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol @ everyone who after the may/mac fight heard about this fight and figured "hey maybe I SHOULD check out the actually important huge fight coming up" lol

I mean I'm a boxing fan in general. I'm not going to be completely put off like people trying to get into the sport based on a few recent fights. I haven't followed the modern stuff closely in forever but I was hoping this would be an all around awesome moment coming together. Of course it gets mangled up. Boxing is loving depressing and it doesn't have to be. It is genuinely draining to follow most of the time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The fight was good at least

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't watch this fight because I can't really give a gently caress about boxing but loving lol at Adelaide Byrd loving up another fight.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I feel bad for entire sport that this was their redemption fight after the circus of mcgregor/mayweather and then the judging is completely hosed up, AGAIN

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

tesilential posted:

Caught 6-12 and thought ggg possibly won all of those, but mostly cause canelo was gassy and didn't throw much. I feel like they both took each other's best punches and am more hyped for the rematch than the original

i dont think canelo took triple g's best but it was INsanely rad to see gennady eat saul's best and keep walking forward

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The fight was good at least

That's the main thing that I'm going to tell people if they ask me about it at at work on Monday, it was a really loving good fight.

Even though Canelo may not have taken GGG's best shot, that fucker has a chin from hell (and it's now canon that Golovkin possesses The Best Chin)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My favorite thing about the fight was GGG taking some big shots from Canelo and literally shrugging like "lol u a bitch"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mewse posted:

She was also a terrible MMA judge but hasn't seemed to be active lately

I'd like to believe that the UFC/Dana White have strongarmed the NSAC and other commissions into not using her just like Steve Mazzagatti doesn't find work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Kilometers Davis posted:

lol @ everyone who after the may/mac fight heard about this fight and figured "hey maybe I SHOULD check out the actually important huge fight coming up" lol

I mean I'm a boxing fan in general. I'm not going to be completely put off like people trying to get into the sport based on a few recent fights. I haven't followed the modern stuff closely in forever but I was hoping this would be an all around awesome moment coming together. Of course it gets mangled up. Boxing is loving depressing and it doesn't have to be. It is genuinely draining to follow most of the time.

the best way to watch boxing is to check in the week of a fight and check out at the final bell, imo

• Locked thread