Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Are you guys reading Drive? You guys should really be reading Drive.

Edit:

quote:

Drive tells the story of a Second Spanish Empire, a galactic empire, and its looming war with a species called “The Continuum of Makers”. Humanity has built its empire using technology stolen from the Makers — and these creatures want it back with an almost religious fervor.

In the brewing war, it’s clear that humanity will lose, and lose badly, unless they can find some advantage in battle. That hope arrives in the form of a tiny, mysterious creature who can drive a starship like no one’s ever seen. Now all humanity needs to do…is find 10,000 more pilots just like him. But no one knows where he’s from.

We follow the crew of the scout ship Machito (above), who have been press-ganged into a unique mission by an Emperor they despise: Find this mysterious species, or the empire…ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

Marble Gate Dungeon

A poor peasant girl is blessed with divine magic by the High Father and becomes a D&D-esque adventurer to save her village from poverty and famine with the money she makes. She joins a drunken mess of a dwarf and an ex-gangster in delving a mysterious seemingly infinite dungeon that appears and disappears every few centuries, usually creating an anchor town around it whenever it does.

It sounds pretty generic but what can I say, the character writing is good.
I enjoy this a lot but I keep forgetting about it for some reason so I always appreciate the reminder. It also makes me want a city builder based around it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Emzedoh posted:

Are you guys reading Drive? You guys should really be reading Drive.

Drive is great, and I need to catch up on it.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm reading Marble Gate Dungeon now, digging it so far.

Edit: I've run out of Marble Gate Dungeon now, Goddamit.

Emzedoh fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 17, 2024

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Nasty Red Dogs - https://nastyreddogs.com/comic/page-1/

The world is ended and giant red dogs rule the night. The barriers between the internal and external self have broken down. The comic is written very prolifically (their other comic, feast for a king, is nearly 8k pages long) and the lore and world building are unique in a way I’ve never seen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Emzedoh posted:

I'm reading Marble Gate Dungeon now, digging it so far.

Edit: I've run out of Marble Gate Dungeon now, Goddamit.

The webcomic life cycle in full swing effect.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah I also binged Marble Gate after that recommendation. I like it a lot, but... over eight years, it seems like it just got done with the introductory phase and is in the early parts of a second act, which has me already writing off the possibility that it'll see its plans through to the end. I may have become too cynical about this aspect of webcomics, though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

celadon posted:

The world is ended and giant red dogs rule the night. The barriers between the internal and external self have broken down. The comic is written very prolifically (their other comic, feast for a king, is nearly 8k pages long) and the lore and world building are unique in a way I’ve never seen.

Slipped into reading the whole thing, but also this seems... unlikely to finish anytime soon, and slow paced enough that I'm probably just going to try to remember it exists in a couple years and read it then. Good webcomic, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

celadon posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I like it a lot more than FFaK.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah I also binged Marble Gate after that recommendation. I like it a lot, but... over eight years, it seems like it just got done with the introductory phase and is in the early parts of a second act, which has me already writing off the possibility that it'll see its plans through to the end. I may have become too cynical about this aspect of webcomics, though.

Pretty fair take tbh. I did have a glance at the archive dates though and it seems to be updating fairly regularly, at least.

It is quite funny though how the three characters in the site banner have only just now - as in the latest update - begun to form a group together and two of them still haven't even met each other on page.

Final thought: Ozzie burning his bridges with the dickheads wasn't as cathartic as I had hoped, I bet those hippie elves would be facepalming pretty hard if they saw him do it. Real botch job there, Oz.

Final final thought: Ox is good people.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh yeah, Oz definitely has some instincts to be a better person, but not nearly enough experience being considerate to avoid being a shithead when pressed, and it's interesting to see that set of traits depicted so clearly. (...Though if it just plays out that the extremely-kind main character drags him through a crash-course on emotional intelligence by herself learning to express clearly when he's hurt her after he does so repeatedly, that will negate a fair number of originality points the story might otherwise earn.)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I thought they handled the damsel in distress beat pretty well in the cyclops chapter, so that might be a reason for optimism against that particular worry. Still, who knows.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

celadon posted:

This absolutely rules. It's like gothic romance magical realism with strong horror elements. Some gorgeous art too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Splicer posted:

I enjoy this a lot but I keep forgetting about it for some reason so I always appreciate the reminder. It also makes me want a city builder based around it.

Honestly yeah that would be pretty slick.

Emzedoh posted:

Final thought: Ozzie burning his bridges with the dickheads wasn't as cathartic as I had hoped, I bet those hippie elves would be facepalming pretty hard if they saw him do it. Real botch job there, Oz.

Final final thought: Ox is good people.

I liked this a lot honestly. Ozzie didn’t have a single epiphany that solved all his problems as a person. He’s come a long long way but he still has a lot of poo poo holding him back, including a degree of internalized misogyny and homophobia likely coming from his gang background and how those emphasize being a Big Tough Man (or else).

Luckily, the people he was being a dickhead too were massively MASSIVELY worse people :v:

But it’s a good arc and I’m glad he’s still got work to do.

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh yeah, Oz definitely has some instincts to be a better person, but not nearly enough experience being considerate to avoid being a shithead when pressed, and it's interesting to see that set of traits depicted so clearly. (...Though if it just plays out that the extremely-kind main character drags him through a crash-course on emotional intelligence by herself learning to express clearly when he's hurt her after he does so repeatedly, that will negate a fair number of originality points the story might otherwise earn.)

I think it’s meant to be a two way street. It’s not a coincidence that one of the Patreon images of Marble Gate is angels hanging a noose around Colleen’s neck. She isn’t asking nearly as many questions as she should about the High Father and her powers due to her being a fundamentally good and self sacrificing person.

I think she’s supposed to learn a healthy dose of selfishness and self care from Ozzi as much as he’s supposed to unburden himself from a toxic upbringing.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 19, 2024

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Meredith gran’s next bideo gabe has a steam demo out now for anybody who is interested in masterful writing and beautiful pixels.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2088810/Perfect_Tides_Station_to_Station/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Perfect Tides was one of the best games of 2022, I'm very excited for the followup

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I liked this a lot honestly. Ozzie didn’t have a single epiphany that solved all his problems as a person. He’s come a long long way but he still has a lot of poo poo holding him back, including a degree of internalized misogyny and homophobia likely coming from his gang background and how those emphasize being a Big Tough Man (or else).

Luckily, the people he was being a dickhead too were massively MASSIVELY worse people :v:

But it’s a good arc and I’m glad he’s still got work to do.

That's fair enough, but I wanted to see those dicks get a proper telling off, a real breakdown of how they're terrible. Still, you're right, Oz probably isn't there yet. Ah well, maybe he'll go for round two once he's had some character development.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Emzedoh posted:

That's fair enough, but I wanted to see those dicks get a proper telling off, a real breakdown of how they're terrible. Still, you're right, Oz probably isn't there yet. Ah well, maybe he'll go for round two once he's had some character development.

I mean same. I really wanted Oz to go into excruciating detail on how Sera was casually revealing Marigold’s secrets and belittling her for a laugh the second she was out of the room.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

On the one hand, that could be a real low blow if Oz used it to mock her - on the other, she kinda does need to know about that, huh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Emzedoh posted:

On the one hand, that could be a real low blow if Oz used it to mock her - on the other, she kinda does need to know about that, huh.

Marigold is a jackass but I think she has some capacity for good faith effort at being better in a way Sera doesn’t so yeah. She really does need to know if she’s ever gonna pull herself out of the toxic hellpit.

Sera is completely inward looking.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
gently caress yes, Othar Trygvasson is back in Girl Genius. My favorite character in that whole sprawling affair.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

habeasdorkus posted:

gently caress yes, Othar Trygvasson is back in Girl Genius. My favorite character in that whole sprawling affair.

Not sure who that is, but it's fun to be reunited with

OTHAR TRYGVASSON
~Gentleman Adventurer~

and his hideous yellow sweater

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
or so you thought, until you learned Othar was an incrementalist

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

or so you thought, until you learned Othar was an incrementalist

The gently caress is this poo poo? He started out with the explicit goal of killing the spark out of existence!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah but a lot of those sparks are his friends and their heroism may be needed in the short term to deal with the larger crisis caused by other sparks. Their deaths will be deferred until later, much like his own. There's no point to ensuring a sparkless Europa if the Other wiped out all the normal people as well.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

He has always had an explicit rule that he doesn't want to kill the Heterodyne Boys and Agatha, and he has also always prioritized the Other over random Sparks.

This works out to him being a serial killer in theory but a more or less heroic adventurer in practice. They'll just need to put him in cold storage when the Other is gone.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

He's the best. :allears:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Tales from Alderwood just concluded its third chapter and it's suitably :stare:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Thank you to all the people that recommended Cursed Princess Club. This is an incredibly sweet and cute comic with a lot of warmth and whimsy.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Cavatica posted:

Thank you to all the people that recommended Cursed Princess Club. This is an incredibly sweet and cute comic with a lot of warmth and whimsy.

Seconded! Absolutely delightful. :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

isasphere posted:

Tales from Alderwood just concluded its third chapter and it's suitably :stare:

Imgur had the entirety of that third chapter in a post, and I hadn't yet read the first two chapters, but even then, uh, yeah. Huh.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Imgur had the entirety of that third chapter in a post, and I hadn't yet read the first two chapters, but even then, uh, yeah. Huh.

Yeah, you are not missing a lot of context if you don't read the first parts, they are mostly about how Kat winded up meeting Hechoton and the first mission he assigned her. Chapter 3 spells out the payoff for those things anyway.

edit: By all that, I mean that chapter 3 stands on its own fairly well. I still think the previous chapters are fun, though.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 27, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cavatica posted:

CPC is REMARKABLY good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

CPC is REMARKABLY good.

Agreed. I'm really glad I started reading this.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Cursed Princess Club is very cute and I'm happy it got rec'd here a couple years ago.

Tigress Queen is updating again as well:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Another comic where I wish the author could magically surpass the temporal and physical constraints of drawing so we could get more story faster.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

so i'm trying to track down a copy of evan dahm's illustrated moby dick and i ended up here:

https://www.topatocos.com/

note the url--it feels like bizarrely high-effort, bizarrely micro-targeted scam? but like, what?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ohh, gently caress yeah, it's a scam. Goddamn that's skeevy.

You want a laugh, check out the Contact Us page, and then look up the address in Street View.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's pretending to be Topatoco, which is run by former webcomics artist Jeffrey Rowland and is located at that same URL without the s on the end, topatoco.com. Except the real company is based out of Western MA. I'd guess he knows about this scam, but someone should probably email him just in case. It sucks, he's been doing merch for a lot of webcomics and podcast people for like two decades now and this is clearly a loving scam using his good name to rook people.

e: and lol at the street view. It's a very, very abandoned house.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, they're "selling" merch for a lot of the webcomics I remember Topato handling, so I actually had to make sure what the real url was and that this wasn't in some way associated.

Thankfully we're not yet at the point where the text in the FAQ and Shipping/Returns page on these kinds of sites is identical to the real McCoy, or indeed even 100% legible. Always check the text pages and the physical location if you're ever unsure.

Last year I ran across a site selling motorcycle gear, that had buried in its product listings a whole bunch of actual motorcycles for like $300 apiece, all information other than the price being scraped from a dealership in my city

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 1, 2024