Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think anyone said you can't be critical or dislike a work, just the despair spiral these threads turn into.

edit: also the whole Freudian "everything has a direct 1:1 parallel to the author's life" analysis is just really boring.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Says something about the state of webcomics that it’s only active when talking about comics that have been dead for years.

If you want to have tedious arguments could it at least be about something new?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The problem with dedicated threads for comics people don't like is that people feel like they need to post in them every time the comic updates, and no comic is really so dedicated to being bad that it gives you something new and interesting to say on every page. Only Legacy of Dominic Deegan comes close, and even it really only merits comment once every couple of weeks.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I don't think SFP has a "depiction=endorsement" issue because its problem was its creators weren't thinking through just about anything they were doing and ultimately came off as really, really stupid. They had these big "doesn't it make you think?" concepts in the early chapter but genuinely no consideration of where they were going, turning into a bizarre act of waffling as any page of the comic might occupy any conceivable political stance as they lurched about, trying to figure out what they actually were going to do with this comic. Ultimately: Clevin.

Precambrian fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 20, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the real problem with Strong Female Protagonist is that Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal covered all this a decade ago.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

rannum posted:

Yeah I eventually stopped following the DD Legacy thread, kind of meandering while it finally wrapped up and then dipped after the weird post-legacy stuff happened.
It's aggressively not a good comic, and some of it is just out & out "why would you ever in a million years do this and think it was a good idea", but for the most part it was just lazy & boring. Stuff to criticize, but even before the part i dropped off, after a while some of the drilling into it just felt...I dunno, superfluous? Or always perilously close to poop touching.

I see similar hate spirals show up in other threads occasionally (GC was the focus here, but also things like Let's Plays or show threads or whatever) and communities, even about things that aren't that heinous. It always reaches a point where it starts feeling weird if you stick around long enough.
hey unironically thanks for giving me the kick to stop following the DD thread because huh, I don't actually care anymore and it's getting too weird in there.

Oxxidation posted:

both of sfp’s creators have moved on to better things, that was just a bad project that got much worse with time
Yeah the more I see Ostertag and Mulligan work in other mediums the more I realize that while it was a neat idea at the time and a legitimately compelling premise...it's a fundamental mismatch and execution in the wrong space. She's solid in art and images, he's solid in words and delivery, but a webcomic is kind of a poor compromise for their talents, because they both do well in produced art but his works best with oral staged delivery and hers works best with time and deliberation, y'know? If Mulligan was to dust the entire idea off and run it as a Dimension 20 show we'd get there a lot faster and other people would be directly challenging and questioning what's going on! Should he? Probably not, I don't need a slickly produced show about superheroes played in 5e. But I get it now, time and distance really just makes it all make sense. It was a mistake they both learned from and honestly? Good for them. We wouldn't get a bunch of funny poo poo on Dropout, we wouldn't get She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. Sometimes it's good people gently caress up and projects die and folks learn from it all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court has committed the worst sin a webcomic can possibly do. A thread about a bad webcomic can possibly still have interesting discussion that isn’t just directionless hate.

But not a thread about a bad webcomic that is also excruciatingly boring. I enjoyed watching GKC get progressively stupider for the sheer curveballs of it, but now it’s not even interesting enough to laugh at. RIP.

This latest arc's been strange because it's been slow, but also rushing to wrap up a ton of hanging plot threads under the contrivance of being in Zimmy's mindscape... again. It's a weird, dissonant boring.

tinaun posted:

Says something about the state of webcomics that it’s only active when talking about comics that have been dead for years.

If you want to have tedious arguments could it at least be about something new?

This thread's been dead for years because it used to be a multi-purpose place where people talked shop, posted updates of any given webcomic, and bounced poo poo back and forth. Then it slowly had all the energy sucked out of it because the webcomic-creators were moved to CC, all the webcomics that got more than 5 posts of discussion made their own barely active threads, and forcing any vaguely negative comic discussion to the CCCC thread, which I think almost all discussion positive and negative has moved to except for the few comics people never made full threads of like QC and Girl Genius because people used to be too derisive of those comics to feel confident about talking about here.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like El Goonish Shive a lot but I never discuss it in here because I assume most people here don't read it, and also I never have much to say aside from "golly I like Susan" and also "despite having annotations under each comic that link to any relevant pages I still have barely any idea what's happening, ever".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The existence of a social space (thread, forum, whatever) which is organized around opposition to some particular entity pretty much inevitably intensifies that opposition over time, often pretty fast, without major outside intervention to disrupt the process. Individuals are basically incentivized to one-up each other in their opposition and discover new bases for stating that opposition- with opprobrium for any counterpressure. That said...

Rand Brittain posted:

The problem with dedicated threads for comics people don't like is that people feel like they need to post in them every time the comic updates, and no comic is really so dedicated to being bad that it gives you something new and interesting to say on every page.

There needs to be a sinfest thread, if only so we can stop covering it in the politoons thread in dnd.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

YggiDee posted:

I like El Goonish Shive a lot but I never discuss it in here because I assume most people here don't read it, and also I never have much to say aside from "golly I like Susan" and also "despite having annotations under each comic that link to any relevant pages I still have barely any idea what's happening, ever".

I've never read El Goonish Shive, but I suppose that's a challenge here, too. Like, I can't keep up with the CCCC thread for the same reason I struggle to focus on the comic strip thread. They both have really cool things posted in them, but all the image dumps can also be really hard to read or scroll past. The alternative is something like here where you link a new comic, but then if other people aren't following it they'd have to archive binge to catch up, and that's a time sink.

I dunno. Being an adult with obligations and video games to play makes life hard, I guess.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
A lot of webcomics readers seem to have moved to Discord servers too.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
el goonish shive is spanish for the goonish shive

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Discendo Vox posted:

There needs to be a sinfest thread, if only so we can stop covering it in the politoons thread in dnd.

Speaking from a place of love I can think of no more miserable a prospect than a potential Sinfest-only thread, lol.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, like EGS has been running continuously for 22 years, the start is extremely rough, and I don't know if there's a good jumping-on point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, like EGS has been running continuously for 22 years, the start is extremely rough, and I don't know if there's a good jumping-on point.

Doesn't seem like it, but the New Readers link on the website is so quaint

quote:

Quick Start - To begin reading EGS from the first comic click here: First EGS Comic, Published January 21, 2002.

The EGS storyline is continuous, and it is recommended that the comics be read in order. The overall story is divided up into smaller parts that can be accessed from the storyline dropdown menu below the comics, or from the archives.

For more information, see the FAQ or just start reading! ^_^

Love seeing people keep the old emoticon ways alive.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mercury Hat posted:

Speaking from a place of love I can think of no more miserable a prospect than a potential Sinfest-only thread, lol.
He can have his own thread when Tats stops being a Nazi. Until then he has his ghost-town forums and a place of shame in the politoon thread.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

The existence of a social space (thread, forum, whatever) which is organized around opposition to some particular entity pretty much inevitably intensifies that opposition over time, often pretty fast, without major outside intervention to disrupt the process. Individuals are basically incentivized to one-up each other in their opposition and discover new bases for stating that opposition- with opprobrium for any counterpressure. That said...

That some DND posters are incapable of just not posting sinfest takes is all the proof anyone should need that that turd has found its rightful toilet

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I read EGS but I don't often have much to say about it; Dan Shive is kind of bad at and also not that interested in writing bad things or bad people, so it's hard for the comic to have particularly high stakes. It's just teenagers getting up to shenanigans with abnormally-horny magic.

(It really needs to finish getting its cast into college because the premise and the general tone of things really want to be 18+ and have 18+ things happen, but even though it's clearly building up to that at the current pace they won't get out of high school before the 2028 election.)

Maybe we should talk about Clown Corps more. I really love Clown Corps more but I'm starting to get a little iffy about the politics of this whole "clown" thing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah I'm more of a negative thread defender than most and my only response to that was a full-body shudder of revulsion, I'm more than happy with Sinfest only coming up as a negative example to compare things to once in a blue moon. Rarely, very rarely, does even a terrible webcomic actually deserve a comparison to that dreck.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Sinfest is one of the only running webcomics that I would actually agree is both totally contemptible and consistently bizarre but

Mercury Hat posted:

It's kind of the opposite of the other comics mentioned before because it is so didactic, you can't not read into it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 20, 2024

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The CCCC thread is pretty slow nowadays, and very few of the comics in the thread are posted for negativity reasons (like mainly just Lore Olympus), most of the webcomic related activity is in the PYF thread (which is also a mostly positive space)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The CCCC thread is pretty slow nowadays, and very few of the comics in the thread are posted for negativity reasons (like mainly just Lore Olympus), most of the webcomic related activity is in the PYF thread (which is also a mostly positive space)

Fair enough, I haven't looked in on a lot of stuff lately.

And I'm not trying to start a hate train here because I haven't read it, but everything I've seen of Lore Olympus is so odd.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe we should talk about Clown Corps more. I really love Clown Corps more but I'm starting to get a little iffy about the politics of this whole "clown" thing.

I feel like it's being pretty explicit right now about the Clown Corps as, basically, a way to investigate questions around superheroes and cops and that idea of the sort of 'institutionalized vigilante' in a defamiliarized way. Clowns! So silly!

But when we had a recent character say a kid was 'scared of clowns' it's pretty clear that part of the point is that the institution of the Clown Corps is, well, they're a government arm. They're crime-fighting, uniformed characters. Binky was always The Cop Clown, but now it's becoming pretty clear that everyone who aspires to be a clown in the comic is being asked 'ok, but are you ok being a cop?'

It's an interesting move. Obviously, the Clown Corps are still a pretty idealized police-like institution, rather than American cops, but as things develop it's becoming clear that the same forces that make cops cops are at work with the clowns, and they won't go away just because the clowns put a funny face on it. That's pretty clearly the reason for juxtaposing 'we're actually an organization of firefighters that started wearing clown makeup to be more appealing to kids in bad situations' with 'she's scared of clowns.'

Changing the name of the organization, changing the literal face, doesn't change the role it plays. And for the clown corps, they're increasingly aware that they are police. I don't know where that connection is going, just that the connection is being raised. So it's not trying to hide it, at minimum. And I think there's some interesting questions there, questions that maybe end up looking like 'how do you have an institution of people who can handle problems like violence and disaster without it becoming the police again?' Starting from firemen, then having the firemen handle thefts and assaults, and suddenly the firemen start looking like cops again, seems to be how the trajectory is drawn.

E: I don't think this webcomic about shonen clowns is going to actually answer questions like 'what the gently caress do we do about the police' but I do think it's interested in some smaller questions in that orbit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I found a tumblr that just polls people every day asking if they've read a webcomic, and they have a database of submissions so if you every wanted, say, a completely uncurated list of 900 webcomics to look at, here you go. there's probably something in there you haven't seen before

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Vox Valentine posted:

He can have his own thread when Tats stops being a Nazi. Until then he has his ghost-town forums and a place of shame in the politoon thread.

Yeah I meant love for anyone who would think of posting there. Mainlining Sinfest into your brain wouldn't be healthy, lol.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I fell way behind on reading El Goonish Shive long ago, and it'd be a whole lot of reading to pick it back up again (the downside of very regular updates). I guess I'd like to hear how it's been going, but it also is one of those comics that goons will be prone to pick on, especially since its early roots is a very typical example of an early dumb webcomic made by a teen who knows nothing about anything yet, and there sure are some fetishes woven into it.

I've seen some of Brian Lee Mulligan's stuff after SFP, and I didn't like it much, but being a comedy guy whose humor I don't like is a lot more forgivable than being a bad dramatic writer hedging his big epic story in delivering big messages that are ultimately bad takes. It's not like he's some horrible person though, he's just a dope at worst.

I don't think it's a great shame either to have written bad stories, since it's part of growing as a person to try to do the things you want to do and try to mature from that, and it's sad when people ultimately fail at their ambitions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I prefer Brennan Lee Mulligan's work encouraging Zac Oyama to eat imaginary spoiled deviled eggs over Strong Female Protagonist, as well meaning as that comic was.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nuns with Guns posted:

Fair enough, I haven't looked in on a lot of stuff lately.

And I'm not trying to start a hate train here because I haven't read it, but everything I've seen of Lore Olympus is so odd.

Lore Olympus doesn't deserve a hate train. Like, it's bad, no doubt about it...but it's at least kind of benignly, weirdly bad. It's fun to pick apart it's deeply strange decisions. It's ongoing efforts to girlbossify Greek Myth is some of the funniest poo poo I have ever read.

Sinfest is NOT benignly bad, it's cancerously bad, but it is at least hilarious to pull out the deeply unhinged ideological underpinings of each new curveball. Japanese American Tatsuya Ishida is now advocating for a form of Esoteric Nazism that believes white people are space aliens who originally settled in Scandinavia because it is closest to the climate of their home planet!

But yeah the CCCC thread is mostly "look at this fun webcomic I found" and I've found a ton of good stuff through it. Good thread.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 20, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Sinfest is NOT benignly bad, it's cancerously bad, but it is at least hilarious to pull out the deeply unhinged ideological underpinings of each new curveball. Japanese American Tatsuya Ishida is now advocating for a form of Esoteric Nazism that believes white people are space aliens who originally settled in Scandinavia because it is closest to the climate of their home planet!

Case in point about how it's awful, but also, that thing where it comes up once in a blue moon means that instead of the slow but constant slide into further reactionary insanity that it is, I see it with enough time in between for these jumps to be surprising. I'm not asking for further details I just wanted to note that no matter how bad it was before, apparently it can get worse with that guy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lore Olympus doesn't deserve a hate train. Like, it's bad, no doubt about it...but it's at least kind of benignly, weirdly bad. It's fun to pick apart it's deeply strange decisions. It's ongoing efforts to girlbossify Greek Myth is some of the funniest poo poo I have ever read.

But yeah the CCCC thread is mostly "look at this fun webcomic I found" and I've found a ton of good stuff through it. Good thread.

Oh yeah, I know Sinfest went completely bonkers. That's maybe the one time where I can't help going "what is even that guy's deal???" because Ishida is such a recluse and doesn't have a huge social media presence. What does he do all day? Scroll chan boards exclusively? Where's he going that's funneled into weirder and weirder nazi conspiracy poo poo?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
My exposure to Sinfest is that every so often a Sinfest comic goes viral because they're just so strange, even people who don't know any Webcomics lore can WTF at them. There's a sense that the whole thing is semi-ironic, but not only is that annoying as poo poo, it kinda feels like an excuse for nothing making any sense.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Lore Olympus taught me the most important life lesson of all: never apologize for being Sicilian.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I always read that name as Laura Limpus.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

mycot posted:

There's a sense that the whole thing is semi-ironic, but not only is that annoying as poo poo, it kinda feels like an excuse for nothing making any sense.

No it's just been precisely tracking the trajectory of someone being radicalized in real time. Like that's not speculation about his personal life, it's the trajectory of the poo poo he puts in the comics, and when you see it from a distance or compare them across time the downwards steps are striking and the epistemic closure is incredible. I couldn't resist going to see what was up and not only was it ludicrously vile Nazi poo poo, including some literal Maybe Hitler Was Right stuff about Weimar Germany, he's closed the entire forum. So even his straggling SWERF'n'TERF fans must have gotten cold feet about the literal, original flavor Nazi propaganda.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

This is, as the kids say, a Theme of the comic! You should be iffy! Binky is! Joe said very early on that he was going to look at his silly painted face people as law enforcement and what that means but, as said above, is probably not going to solve problems but it's something he's interested in exploring.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

This is, as the kids say, a Theme of the comic! You should be iffy! Binky is! Joe said very early on that he was going to look at his silly painted face people as law enforcement and what that means but, as said above, is probably not going to solve problems but it's something he's interested in exploring.

Yeah, exploring the ethics of superpowered law enforcement but filtered through the lens of a literal clownshow is an inspired idea.

At the very least it's unlikely to be as cowardly about it as its clearest and nearest inspiration, My Hero Academia.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I really like the aspect of defamiliarization going on - it's going a step beyond, say, Sky High or My Hero Academia (no comment on whether those are critical of cops, just, the step involved).

See, normally works that make law enforcement into super heroes are still working with a body of tropes and symbols that are highly discussed already. Are cape comics inescapably authoritarian? It's been discussed endlessly! There's already a tendency in the world of comics to see 'superhero' as already a figure of authority vs. safety, of social norms, conformity, and power. In various directions.

By making the capes into funny noses, Clown Corps catches readers off guard. I know I don't automatically rally my usual set of associations when the combatants are all literal clowns! So the story can build itself up without immediately facing the audience's immune system about capes and cops.

E: haha MHA already getting the tomatoes above, and fairly so

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There's that recent moment in Clown Corps that juxtaposes "she's a little afraid of clowns" and "are we free go go?" and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I mean, I get this, but I feel like it it falls flat because there are not actually any bad clowns. Everything bad about the Clown Corps either stems from bad (civilian) leadership or from the slanderous lies spread about them by evil, jealous mimes. There are not actually any bad apples spoiling the bunch.