Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

as long as we're in the OP fixing stage of the thread:

Rand Brittain posted:

Bittersweet Candy Bowl by SuitCase874 and partner: A slice-of-life comic with anthropomorphic animals. Very cute and worth looking at if that sort of comic is up your alley.

it would perhaps be nice if the actual creator/artist/writer/etc (Veronica Vera) got a better credit than "and partner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Since the story operates on multiverse-rules, this resulted in a parallel Earth where furries exist instead of humans.

also there were portals between the two where the fabric of reality was weaker, and if you crossed them you turned into whoever your equivalent furry/human person was, except there was that time the human version of one of Kevin's sisters crossed over, and discovered that as rabbits instead of 6 children her parents had had 66 children, so presumably her other 60 siblings don't have a human equivalent because they're just soulless abominations who's only purpose is to be eaten as food

also this is where their adoptive daughter came from, she's actually Princess Diana or some poo poo who fell through a portal instead of dying

also the birds didn't give up their technology even remotely, they kept using it to do things like trying to replicate domestication of the predator species (result: dogs now also enjoy stereotypical dog things in addition to hunting and murdering their peers) and time traveling the main characters to the stone age to try and convince them they were responsible were everything (because they were getting sick of this poo poo and wanted to bounce)

also the birds all eventually migrated en masse to the human side (see above), where they turned into dolphins because ???

also there was that one time a wolf and sheep were dating in high school, and the wolf showed his commitment to her by becoming a vegetarian, which is apparently accomplished by getting his entire digestive system replaced with a ruminant's, and literally nothing about any of that is ever addressed

also it wouldn't have helped because even the loving plants are implied to be sapient, most of them just don't have the communicative apparatus to express their horror at being eaten

also also also basically if your comic's starting point is that a portion if not all of your sapient population are biologically obligated to be serial murderers, literally any story you do is going to be hosed up somehow

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That or she knows what just happened at Tessa's room and is disappointed she let the goop have the chance to reach out.

she's canonically omniscient about everything in the dome other than Purple, Gold, and Mark, so she definitely at least knows. probably she's just disappointed at how poorly her attempts to actually accomplish something other than snarky alt texts are turning out.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

nankeen posted:

i love to hate sfp but am baffled that people choose ostertag as the focus of their rage when the comic was always about abysmal writing almost-saved by pleasant artwork that it didn't deserve. why does she somehow get the blame for a terrible comic where the terribleness was 99% someone else's fault?

oh wait that's right, she's a woman

she gets the blame because no one remembers who the other person even is they were such a public non-entity, to the point where I remember people in the thread being surprised there was a second person even involved. like some random "nice guy" being the one writing absolutely explains a poo poo-ton about what went wrong there, so I kinda assume he intentionally let her be the public face to try and avoid that criticism.

and arguably it wasn't "almost-saved by pleasant artwork" given that she pretty clearly (and correctly) thought it was unsaveable and was putting in absolute minimum effort towards the end (see: the whole thing where she drew and inked a rape metaphor apparently without ever consciously processing that was what was happening?)

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

He could be from the city, but sneaking around at night so he can investigate the barriers and stuff. That was my interpretation of his deal.

he's pretty explicitly from outside of the city - Anemone expresses no surprise that her "omniscience over the city" power doesn't work on him (as opposed to Gold and Purple, who she also can't track and isn't sure why), and in his conversation with Undine he uses "Jesus" as an exclamation, which is extremely anachronistic to the setting.

also the character polls list him as "the outsider", but that's probably cheating.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

cue frantic flipping back and forth to previous pages to try and figure out what part of her outfit has changed to match Undine, because obviously something must have

she's lost the shoulder pads over her own puffy sleeves, so she and Undine now have matching sleeves yay

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

The sleeves are actually new to Undine! she didn't always have them. But HP did lose the epaulets; she didn't just change to match Undine - they changed to match each other. D'aww.

Oh yeah, that was what eventually got me there: "wait, if Undine gained sleeves, then maaaaybe..." Probably should have thought of it sooner instead of trying to find more angles of her boots, lol.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think ‘progressive but have no actual political framework beyond being personally decent’ is a really bad perspective to use to approach subjects like ‘should a superheroine go around revenge-murdering rapists.’ Even before Trump, that framework was not up to their subject matter (and again, no cape comics background so no awareness of works that had touched on similar criticism of capes).

honestly, regardless of whether its been done in other comics, it seemed very clear neither of them wanted to even get near the question of "is it moral for superheroes to engage in political violence", let alone try to answer it, which is a very problematic position for a comic about superheroes getting engaged in political activism to be. this is what leads to things like "mary has a perfect record of only ever murdering serial rapists and murderers and allison can't actually give any explanation as to why that's bad and oh hey time for the chapter to end" and "allison forcing the libertarian to actually use his powers for once helped countless people with literally no downside, but she felt bad about it so that's no good" and "app development? that's the big thing that's going to save everyone, right? app development? please say it's app development".

as far as I could tell, the comic's abrupt ending was as much its as you say "generic personal decency" progressivism colliding with the stated end state of "there is a literal global conspiracy destroying any possible attempt at systemically threatening its power from within" and them really not wanting to have to follow that to its logical conclusion as it was anything else.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

yeah, pretty much all of posts fun hater linked specifically call out the censorship as being randomly and sometimes retroactively enforced when they complain about the vague guidelines involved (fun game: look at the address bar when browsing webtoons and see how many times the upload number skips because a page got taken down after the fact).

the other webcomic thread had to switch to the artist's deviantart for one of the comics being posted when it became clear the webtoons version had like a fourth of the pages missing, apparently due to things like "visible cleavage" and "too detailed horse butt". it's pretty clearly a thing.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Neito posted:

I'd say that's the highest ratio of Real world to in universe time, but would it be updates to in-universe time do you think?

I recall EGS having a birthday party that lasted something like a year and a half of updates; MWF schedule if I recall correctly, so roughly ~230 updates? Which I remember mostly because the next update was the author apologizing and stating they were throwing out their scripts and putting the comic on indefinite hiatus until they had relearned the concept of "pacing" and were confident it would never happen again.

I also recall thinking at the time "if only Piro could be so self-aware" (and this was like 10+ years ago?) so I honestly might still give to megatokyo on the average.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

it was imo very funny at the time watching the translators put out multiple notes of "the artist has assured us this is isn't going to be a Tale of Genji story" followed by the above "it was a Tale of Genji story and we want no part in it." honestly, I can't blame them too much for not catching on, it's a real weird break from the rest of the series (I assume because of the guest writer mentioned in that announcement).

rest of the comics still pretty good

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

i am satisfactorily vindicated that my confusion over LaPointe's purpose and character was accurate, as the Q&A indicates they were originally a cameo character that got hastily retconned/retooled and the author never actually had a goal in mind for them. between that and Rin becoming a husk apparently being a spur-of-the-moment choice he had so little idea how to deal with it killed the comic, it looks the author literally didn't give any of the ostensible villains a plan? which yeah, probably a bad idea for any story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly I think it's more interesting for sidestepping that point, because as it's starting to investigate:

Is any amount of good intentions and lack of bad apples able to overcome what being the cops structurally does to you?

The juxtaposition between Binky recognizing the selfish government/corporate actors trying to use him for their own ends and having the moral character to resign, and Bout immediately accepting and spouting off what are effectively a bunch of thin blue line arguments about the value of his oath to the Corps when pressed on it (because he'd already been having self-confidence issues and values having the affirmation of the position over the moral value of a version of the Corps he's never known) is IMO about as clear an example of how these things start as you get. Bout's not a bad person! But he is a person, and this is what happens when an institution that gets held up as The Law has to be staffed by people who actually exist, flaws and all.

Separately on the bad apple topic: I do actually like how some of the current events are serving to show how completely hollow Mustard is. The second she discovers her sister is alive, she just completely abandons any pretense of caring about the Corps or the people it ostensibly serves, gives McBell a speech that could be about valuing her own life, but in context is probably closer to projection and self-justification for her own selfish actions, and starts threatening/beating the poo poo out of Oats/Livewire despite knowing what she went through because clearly she must still be holding out for some reason? It changes the comic from her being inspired to join the Corps by her sister, to it being more that she literally has no character outside of her - her name, her costume (her current vigilante look is literally just her old costume but in her sister's new colors), her affection for McBell (who has the same sense of humor as her sister), etc. It's like her entire participation with the Corps was just a character she was roleplaying as a placeholder for the memories of her sister, and now that she can get the real thing back she doesn't see the point in even pretending to care about this anymore. I saw someone refer to it as a character assassination not by the author turning her evil but by the character turning herself lame and pathetic, and I can definitely see that.