Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm trying to identify a webcomic I read ages ago, sometime between 2000-2010.

I remember only one thing about it: at some point it features the "Church of Jesus Christ, Astronaut" which holds that the Second Coming has already happened and Jesus looks down on us all from space. Later in the comic, it's revealed that Jesus was actually resurrected by a cabal of necromancers generations ago, but they hosed up the ritual and he came back (a) as a zombie and (b) on the Moon, where he stands gazing eternally at Earth with his zombie eyes.

I remember nothing else, not even if it was full-page or strip format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Twenty Four posted:

Sorry yeah, I wasn't trying to stir the pot, but as everyone else said, it's mostly a format problem for me with webtoons. As primarily a PC user, it's a ton of scrolling and blank space, which I guess is supposed to somehow be aimed at a better mobile experience, but I don't think it is the right solution for that either. No opinion here or there content wise, "it's the internet, so whatever" is the best I can put it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't like the experience of constantly scrolling, even if I'm fine with pages that may be longer or taller than my monitor. I want to read in discrete units so even if there's a little scrolling at the beginning, I can stop at a point and just look at most everything at once while it stays put on the screen. Some webtoons I've seen really play into the scrolling and expand indefinitely so maybe none of the individual pictures fit onscreen at the same time, maybe not even with any accompanying text, and they feel the need to add temporal pacing by adding big chunks of white space between bits instead of just being able to end one page and go on to the next.

Yeah, I hate the format, basically everything I've read on webtoons would work fine as a "standard" page format and all the super-tall format does is mean I need to scroll endlessly rather than just tapping "next page" every few seconds. I've written a tool to download them for offline viewing, which means I can read them on my tablet, which is a bit of an improvement since at least it clears out all the other cruft from the website, but it's still not great.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also a lot of browsers will default you to https if you just the type the name (somethingawful.com automatically becomes https://somethingawful.com)

This can be (and AFAIK usually/always is) something on the website side; if you ask for the plain HTTP version the site will respond with a 301 MOVED PERMANENTLY message telling the browser to use the HTTPS version instead. Pretty much any website these days that supports HTTPS at all automatically redirects people to the HTTPS version if they try accessing the insecure version.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually found Problem Sleuth after it had finished, so it was pretty easy to jump right onto Homestuck. I stuck for a while, but as the pesterlogs grew, I started to just skim instead of wading all the way through, and then I started skipping. I didn't find the chat writing that fun or interesting to make it worth the time investment (and translation effort), and I quit. There's better forms of prose to read if I want that, I don't wanna get into light novels caught between worlds.

By the point I dropped off fully, everything had gotten very weird, both with the story wildly jumping focus, troll society (and sex), and just the general style. With all that weirdness, I can sorta see how people could get hooked by the uniqueness, but I sure wasn't. Somebody I knew was even really broken up about the troll deaths.

This pretty much exactly describes my experience with it as well. I got into it because someone linked me to MSPA I found Problem Sleuth entertaining enough to check out his new "Homestuck" thing; I got out of it when it became less of an ambitious multimedia webcomic project about time travel and nested worlds and more about an alternate reality bash.org where everyone has a really irritating gimmick.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

I think seeing avatars and fanart and the like here pointed me in Homestuck's direction, or maybe that was an "aha, that is what the reference" moment

but also finding out it was the same author as did Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff was a big part.

Wait, I thought Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff was just a one-off joke in Homestuck -- it was an actual thing?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I think part of it, too, was that early webcomics were mimicking the format of print comics, just published over the web; and when it comes to daily/semi-weekly print comics, newspaper format -- 3/4 panel strips, or single panel with caption -- is what people tended to think of. Full page spreads were something you see in comic books, which come out as complete issues on a monthly schedule. So even webcomic artists that weren't aiming for newspaper syndication tended to mimic newspaper formats because, well, if you're publishing daily or weekly that's what format you use.

Over the years a lot of comics that weren't aiming for syndication but still adopted those formats have moved on -- SMBC went from single panel to columnar multipanel, a lot of comics went from 4-panel to full page like El Goonish Shive, Clan of the Cats, and Zebra Girl -- and a lot more new projects have adopted full-page spreads, or the (awful) endlessly scrolling vertical Webtoons format, but it took a while for stuff to transition away from "just like print comics, but on the web".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

disposablewords posted:

A lot that aren't doing infinite scroll are still using the format of print comics... just, y'know, comic books or for book collections where every page is a Sunday strip.

Yeah, I just mean that ca. 2000 there seemed to be this pervasive idea that if you were publishing entire chapters at a time, you did full page, and if you were publishing individual strips, you did newspaper strips. And the overwhelming majority of webcomics were publishing individual strips at a time.

It's true that overall the whole idea of the "infinite canvas" hasn't seen much exploration; webcomics have largely moved from publishing individual newspaper-sized strips to publishing individual full-page strips. And a lot of what exploration there has been has, variously:
- made it impossible to collect the comic in print (anything using animations or sound, or unprintably large panel layouts)
- made it difficult to archive the comic in any meaningful form at all, or keep it readable as technology advantages (anything using Flash)
- made producing the comic slower or harder without significantly improving the reader experience (anything using cute HTML/JS tricks to fancy up how panels are presented)
- made the reader experience suck endless amounts of rear end (Webtoons)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's just baffling to me that overall, there's this steady downward slide in overall quality and comprehensibility, but the transphobia just comes completely out of left field. Like, there are so many strips prior to that where the message seems to be "rigid gender roles are awful, experimenting with gender expression is a good thing that can lead you to important truths about yourself" and then one day he wakes up and his brain is full of GENDER CONFORMITY IS GOOD, EVIL DOCTORS ARE TRANSING OUR KIDS. I was expecting more of a gradual decline in that respect, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm kind of amazed that Sluggy Freelance is still running. Does that make it the longest-running webcomic? Schlock Mercenary wrapped up after 20 years, El Goonish Shive and College Roomies From Hell are still running but postdate Sluggy, User Friendly closed doors a while ago...

Kojiro posted:

Thanks to those of you who mentioned my dumb wizard webcomic! It'll be ending next chapter after some 1000+ pages and 11 years or so, and I look forward to sending it off nicely.

Hell yes, I don't generally read comics until they're finished these days so it's always a treat when I hear that one that's been on my radar for a while is winding down.

Speaking of which, Skin Horse is in its final arc! :woop:

Kojiro posted:

I haven't really talked about it much! While I could drag the comic out for years and years and years til it slowly burns out I'd rather work up to a satisfying and fun intentional ending. More webcomics should end properly imo

Hard agree.

Plankhandles posted:

Sad to hear the site’s no longer functional. Unfortunately I was combing through the goon-made comics linked on the first page of this thread and about half of them are spambot virus central these days. Webcomics should be immortal (even and especially the lovely ones) and that’s all there is to it.

This is why when a comic I like finishes (or just...stops), I take a local snapshot of it, so I still have a copy to read when the website inevitably implodes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I was very impressed that Concerned's creator stuck to their guns and never did anything else Half Life-related. I feel like Episode 1 was out when it was ongoing so there was more material (but of course not much more and even then not exactly a deep well).

Concerned was great and the phrase "can't wait to see that magical hovercraft!" gets stuck in my head sometimes. I have an archive of it and one of these days I'm going to put in the coding work to turn it into a "plain" CBZ and a "with commentary" CBZ so I can reread it on my tablet.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember a webcomic that I think was called "Bhag" and it was sort of like one of your D&D party setups, I think one main character was a dwarf, another was an elf, there were probably more. I think the elf had some kind of magical bag of tricks. I vaguely remember it having a unique take on fantasy that I liked. I think when I first found it, it had already decided to do a reboot of itself (which seems like a pretty good way to burn yourself out as a creator), and I think by this point whatever website it was on has been lost to the void.

Bhag: Sack of Justice, yeah. The elf had a magical bag of tricks and was also completely insane. The only bit I remember is that at one point he declared himself "the queen of treif" and ran around pulling shrimp and lobsters out of it. It dropped off my radar when the author planned to reboot it.

There are like four pages surviving on the Internet Archive, and that seems to be it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

This is an understatement. There's a reason why a lot of fiction book covers are generic and don't actually represent the book's content. Usually the artist will get a small blurb from the publisher of what they want, but will not be in contact with the author or even know what the book is about in any detail. The author usually has no say at all and it's up to the publisher and marketing to decide what they think will make the book sell.

There is the occasional exception where authors can offer some feedback or even have some amount of control in very rare cases but even a lot of successful and well known authors have to deal with this. It's just a norm for the industry.

Plenty of authors out there loathe the covers their publishers picked out for them so I don't think it's worth reading much into book covers in general.

Yeah, one of the reasons Michael Whelan is so well-regarded as a cover artist is that, unusually, he actually makes a point of reading the book before painting the cover. But most cover artists aren't Michael Whelan.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

Almost nothing we talk about in this thread is hosted on Webtoon. I know nothing I read regularly is, I still just drop sites into my RSS feed.

So I guess we're the people actually "doing" instead of just "talking" in the sense that Plankhandles is talking about? That, and we're out-of-touch old people. Some combination of those.

Some of the stuff I read (or rather, some of the stuff I'm waiting to read once it's finished, like Lore Olympus and Mage & Demon Queen) is on Webtoons, but most of what I read isn't.

Of course, webtoons is increasingly going "you can read the first few pages for free but to read the rest you need to install the app" and gently caress that, so at this rate I won't have anything webtoons on my list at all.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Speaking of successful authors self-hosting their webcomics, Skin Horse by Shaenon Garrity & Jeffrey Wells, has concluded after nearly 15 years. It's set in the same universe as her earlier work Narbonic (itself excellent), but can be read on its own. I've been waiting for this for years and am definitely going to settle in and read the whole thing now.

Official PDFs and hardcopies can be preordered now, and are expected to be available sometime this fall, but the whole thing can be read without gaps on the website.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

y'all hosed up the Summon Weirdo ritual and got me instead

read MDA

probably Blood is Mine first because MDA is getting real meta insider baseball here lately

I got to > SCREAM AND DRAW BLOOD and I'm hooked, definitely going to read the rest of Blood is Mine.

disposablewords posted:

Man, Ben Fleuter can set a fuckin' mood when he wants to. Someone who actually knows how to use an endless scroll to his advantage, too.
Yeah, I have complained at length about vertical-scroll comics and "the webtoons format" ITT but this is a comic that actually puts the format to good use and is sick as hell as a result.

This has bumped Sword Interval way up on my to-read list, too.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 23, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Time to go read it!

And yeah, I just have a text file full of webcomic URLs, and a few times a year I go through it and binge any that have finished since last time I checked.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Neito posted:

I remember when Sluggy Freelance crossed over with User Friendly for like five strips.
That's how I ended up reading Sluggy Freelance back in high school, and I'm pretty sure subsequent crossovers were how I ended up reading most of my other webcomics of that era, too - CRFH, DMFA, EGS, CotC, Zebra Girl, Schlock Mercenary...

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, it may be reasonably close to wrapping up. A bunch of major storylines (Hereti-Corp, the multiversal stuff, the Aylee stuff, Sam and the Vampires) have already been resolved, they're currently working on wrapping up the last really important one (K'Z'K), and then all that will be left will be odds-and-ends (Holiday Wars 2? The Fate Web?)
Everything I bolded was a "major storyline" back when I was still reading it on the regular 15-20 years ago and at least some of them looked like they'd been resolved back then, too.

Did the Oasis plotline ever get anything remotely resembling closure? I remember her being brought back at least twice.

habeasdorkus posted:

If we're doing Recommendations, it looks like Lavender Jack concluded at the end of last year. It was a high quality Batman-em-up on webtoons.

Emzedoh posted:

Hey, thanks for reminding me that Princess Planet exists! Archive's still up and everything, I'll give it a reread the next time I'm bored maybe.

:toot: More finished webcomics for me to read! Thank you!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

It's DMFA. It has been running since 1999 and grew out of Furcadia. Calling it niche is probably an understatement.

Oh poo poo, I have fond memories of DMFA and that's been on my "read once finished" list for as long as I've had that list. Fingers crossed for her.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

isasphere posted:

Narbonic: A recently graduated programmer gets hired by a mad scientist and her assistant. They repeatedly try to take over the world with evil science. Humor. Complete.

The author has also finished another comic in the same setting (but with mostly different characters and set some years later), Skin Horse. And for a different take on mad science romance than Narbonic, check out A Miracle of Science and say hi to the Martian Hivemind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Html5 should add a tag set where you can define a 'next' and 'previous' link in head tags for index-based pages so the browser can do the navigation better for pages that support it.

This already exists (<link> with rel="prev" or rel="next") but I have no idea if any browser usefully supports it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Paladin posted:

I checked up on College Roomies From Hell the other day: still going, Maritza posts a strip or two every couple of weeks (months?), apparently it is in its Final Arc... which I think is still freshman year, 1999?

Anyway, while looking into that I learned that she'd started, written, and finished a comic called Power Nap, with art by someone called Bachan, throughout the 2010s, so I guess she just keeps doing CRFH out of interia and the probably handful of people who still pay her for it. I was just thinking how, early 2000s, that was one of THE big strips, right? I'm not hallucinating that? But of all the other webcomic dinosaurs still plodding along from before 2000 you hear almost nothing about that one.

It was pretty big, yeah; it was actually one of the first webcomics I read (along with Sluggy Freelance and User Friendly) and I'm still friends with a bunch of people I met in CRFH fandom, even if the fandom-as-a-community has largely withered away. I stopped reading it for the same reason I stopped reading every other webcomic -- it moved too slowly for me to retain context on what was going on. These days I wait for interesting-looking comics to finish and read the whole thing.

When it wraps up, probably sometime in the 2040s along with Girl Genius and El Goonish Shive, I'm going to reread the whole thing for old times' sake.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I like El Goonish Shive a lot but I never discuss it in here because I assume most people here don't read it, and also I never have much to say aside from "golly I like Susan" and also "despite having annotations under each comic that link to any relevant pages I still have barely any idea what's happening, ever".

The start is Real loving Rough but it was also a very important webcomic for me as a late teens/early 20s egg and it still holds a special place in my heart. I also think it shows very dramatic improvement in quality, of both art and writing, over its run; the difference between 2002 EGS and 2012 EGS is striking.

All that said, I'm not reading it on an ongoing basis for the same reason I'm not reading anything else, i.e. within a month I have no idea what's going on because all the prior context has slid out of my brain. I need more recommendations for good stuff that's actually completed while I wait for EGS, Girl Genius, K6BD, etc to wrap up.