Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mors Rattus posted:

so like, does the main character ever stop being completely insufferable? I'm 72 comics in and I kind of hate him

Ugh yeah that MC is like a smug redditor.

I really hate it when someone tries to take a kid's IP and make it "dark and gritty" for anything more than a oneoff joke. It's like my eyes want to roll themselves out of my head. I just can't take them seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Dr. Hurt posted:

I know he had a controversial breakdown, but I always get bummed out that Pictures for Sad Children just completely stopped too. But it might be best for John Campbell's mental health.

*AHEM* I think you mean The Artist Formerly Known as John Campbell.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Hurt posted:

Hey this is from a bit back but poo poo I didn't know that they changed their name. I hadn't heard anything about them besides the kickstarter stuff so I didn't mean to misgender them/call them by a name they don't use any more. My bad y'all.

I'm not knocking you about pronouns. I'm still not sure what their gender situation is. If they properly transitioned at some point it's hard to tell, because it happened in the middle of some weird emotional break/avant-garde performance art piece. I just remember them saying that John Campbell wasn't their name anymore, without giving a replacement, then later announcing their name to be "Basic Income Please". I could never quite tell if they were serious about that or not.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hey you should put Bunny Meat in the goon comic section. I'd describe it as "Reader submitted childhood traumas as reenacted by rabbits."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I liked that comic when it was beginning, but it lost me somewhere along the way. It had this weird, children's story feel to it that it dropped around the time it started going for the steven universe-y visual style.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

He means lots of impressionable teens/twentysomethings ape SU's art style the same way people copied Evangelion back in the day

I did, but I think the comic also spun its wheels with a bunch of queer characters making dramatic faces for a while so :shrug:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

I'm sorry for what I have wrought

No, it's my fault. I should have known better than to utter the spell that is "steven universe".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Demon Street's art shifts are sad because I really like the first style the most.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Has any good decision ever been made because an investor told someone to do it?

Well, kickstarter has shown that while video game publishers can gently caress over a project, they also force people to actually finish their project. Without someone breathing down their neck, there are plenty of folk who'll just doddle and waste funds and the whole thing goes under without even being finished.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i like and use mx

Well that's one I haven't heard before.

In general words like that won't catch on though, because honorifics like sir/ma'am more or less function like pronouns, which are a closed class of words in English. Closed classes don't tend to accept newly coined words, but only slowly mutate if at all.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

pronouns change plenty. see thee/thou getting phased out

Yeah, that's what I mean. Pronouns tend to change through a drawn out process of gradual usage, but not with abrupt changes. So 'Mx' isn't likely to catch on, unless you can get people to use 'Ms." gender neutrally first, and it slowly shifts over like decades.

It's the same reason english is moving towards singular 'they' instead of any alternative pronuns that have been suggested.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

neocosmos (i need to catch up on this one)

Does this one still read like an animation storyboard? I remember it having way to many superfluous panels.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think EGS takes place in the states though right? We got more guns here than people. What self respecting wizard wouldn't leave a spell slot open for that?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I gotta say I really don't dig the webtoon format. I guess it's more intended to be read on phones, since a lot of it doesn't seem to scale right for my desktop windows, and then it's gotta be infinite scrolling, which is just a hassle to me.

Same. I might just be too used to traditional pages, but there's something about webtoons format that seems really... content sparse? Like the panels are always too spread out, without enough going on in each of them. Why does there have to be half a page of whitespace between each panel?

Whenever I try to get into one, I always find myself scrolling faster and faster trying to keep the pace reasonable, and at some point my eyes glaze over or my scrolling finger gives out, and I click away. It's frustrating because there are probably some good stories there, but I just can't get past the format to find out.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

While I'm not super familiar with the space, I feel like I've seen Chinese comics do the thin-width infinite-canvas thing better. There seems to be less tiny panels swimming in white space. Better page usage, feels a lot more condensed. I wish I had a good example, but I haven't really been going out of my way to find them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I just binged Never Satisfied, and I still don't understand why Lucy wanted to be a representative, or even what a representative really is, or why it has to be teenagers. Did I miss something, or did the comic just never explain its main character's motivations after 10 chapters?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lucy’s motivation is to show up magic users due to deep seated inferiority/self worth issues.

The representative is a vaguely defined special agent/deputy.

Really? I got the self loathing bit, but does it actually say anywhere that's their reason for signing up? "I hate myself, therefor I'll compete for a job I'm entirely unqualified for, gently caress wizards"?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, it pretty much relies on the reader to pick up on subtext. It's absolutely present, but it is never narrated at you or anything.

Actually that's not true. They all but say it outright when strangling gently caress You Got Mine Girl.

Ok, so I wasn't missing anything.

They do straight up say that people like FYGM girl are one of their problems, but like they say, they obviously have a lot of other ones. It seems just as likely the inciting incident was them trying to spite their master somehow; or someone on the street mistook them for a contestant and they just rolled with it; or were about to jump off a bridge, saw a flyer for the competition, and said, "gently caress it, why not, I'll try this first." If we don't even know what a representative generally does, it could be they wanted to do something specific to that office.

I guess I just don't like it when important character motivations are left so ambiguous so deep into a story. Pretty much every character who isn't still mystery bait has straightforward and specific motivations. That's probably why I find almost all of them more relatable.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

The Representatives seem to be the local rulers, at least in a lot of matters.

I didn't get the sense of that at all. All I recall really hearing about them are that they fight husks occasionally, work with the magisters... somehow, and are teenagers for some reason?

The name implies that they represent the city in something, but I don't in what. Is it like for the wizard Olympics? Maybe there's a teenage wizard parliament out there somewhere?

Nuns with Guns posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a flashback at some point regarding the specific whens and hows around each character signing up but, no, right now aside from Philomena saying her father pushed her into it and Tetsu saying they signed up because they want to use the position to change the system from within, the other characters' motivations are just things you can speculate on mostly from their attitude or the things they've alluded to.

I actually wouldn't ask for a flashback for any of the other characters, besides maybe broom-witch. They've all made it fairly clear how they got there. There isn't much guesswork involved. The thing I find weird is that all the side characters got fleshed out motivations, and the main character didn't. And Lucy really had to go out of their way to be there. It seems like they shouldn't have been allowed to compete at all.

I'm actually wondering if Lucy is even really the MC anymore. With everyone else getting more fleshed out, it kind of feels more ensemble-cast now.

PetraCore posted:

The specific motivation for joining the contest is going to be rooted in that desire to be noticed, acknowledged, and praised, then, although I don't actually think Lucy thought they were going to be able to win when they joined. I think they were testing their boundaries and figuring out what they could get away with and how far they could go. They wanted Thierry to learn about it after Lucy had already done something impressive and be proud because Thierry knows exactly what Lucy can't do and would know how hard it was for Lucy to get that far. This was, well, an even more impossible goal than winning, but it's hard to acknowledge that when you're in the position of having an abusive guardian you still think you can impress. It's also pretty plausible that Ivy suggested Lucy socialize with people their own age, Lucy heard about the contest, and then they decided to go for it in the worst possible way.

Yeah, I think any of those could turn out to be true. Or it could be Lucy really idolized the last Representative and wanted to follow in their footsteps. Or they got really entranced by a character in one of those books they were reading and thought this was a way to make that real. Or a dozen other teen angst related things.

But at this point the entire competition has been over for like 2 chapters and the comic never spent 3 panels saying which of those happened. It just stuck with a nebulous "angst, therefor wizard competition, somehow".

Anyway, I'm done complaining now. It's actually a pretty fun comic besides that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Could just be me, but I really do find the specifics of character goals and motivations important for relating to them. Its how I tell if they're being reasonable or stupid, compassionate or manipulative, selfish or generous. If someone has an ambiguous goals for ambiguous reasons, it gets an ambiguous reaction from me.

I never really found myself rooting for Lucy, because they never really gave me a reason to over anyone else. I'm still not sure if angst was their real reason at all, or if that was just incidental. It was only recently the comic told us Lucy is actually a secret amnesiac. They could still have a secret, non-angst-based reason for registering. That then re-contextualizes everything that's happened so far. For me at least, knowing that reason up front makes the things a character does more compelling as they do it, as opposed to only in hindsight.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm kind of fuzzy remembering the whole PFSC episode. I remember it feeling like performance art at the time. Didn't it involve mailing dead wasps to people? Or was that just a fever dream of mine?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

hbag posted:

unsure if anyone already posted about this but Drugs & Wires is pretty fuckin good

go check it out if you like cyberpunk poo poo and/or slightly dark comedy

This was great! Thanks!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I have a vague memory of a comic. There were demons in it, and every time one dies, it entered a deeper and more terrifying level of hell, which I think went on forever. I can't even remember if this was a big part of the comic. Anyone remember it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

Perhaps the Clandestinauts? Believe that went graphic novel-only.

Hmm, that looks pretty familiar, might be it. Too bad they took it offline though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I randomly reread the Claire and Marten wedding trip recently, and it was kind of shocking. One, that poo poo was 2013 and dear God how has it been that long.

Two, the comic is so much better recently than it was then. I think its glacially shifting low stakes social drama stuff is being done just about as well, but the difference in art is stark. Not only is the art better, but it's used a lot better. Like more strips than not will use the art to sell or at least accentuate the joke these days. This was not always the case.

I went to check it now, and there definitely is a difference. The characters seem to interact a lot more, rather than just talking past each other. There's also a lot more effort put into the backgrounds. I used to garfield-minus-garfield some of the strips, but it actually seems like it would be hard to do now.

Still kind of boring though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

a bad anime with naked children getting graphically tortured frequently that somehow still had a thread for it going quietly in adtrw, and there was some drama that happened because a few people went to said thread going 'what the gently caress' and they were the people who got banned/probated instead of the people talking about naked children getting graphically tortured

It was me, I ate the ban. I regret notinggggggg

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Kazerad, I read your comic back when it was on the MSPA forums. I think I even got a user command in. I lost track of it at some point, but I'm saying this as someone who was a real fan for a while: There's no point in defending yourself in this thread anymore. The people in this thread just generally do not like you, for reasons they're very eager to tell you about. I've seen you pop into this thread to defend something or another for years now. You haven't seemed to convince anyone of anything, and as you can see above, your appearances have just become a running joke at this point.

Given that you're not going to convince anyone here arguing, and you're not likely to change based on people here's complaints, I would really recommend you just stop worrying about this thread entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Beekeeper's Tale is giving off some K6BD vibes. That's a good sign.