Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Prequel has updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Jackard posted:

Are there any webcomics (besides Homestuck) that regularly use animations or take advantage of digital medium?

Even something small like this http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/utility

Honey Crab does animations and sometimes sound, and at least once showed a cosmetic choice in how the protagonist reacts to another character, but they might do more elaborate stuff later. It has a "no frills" option to read it as a regular comic too, frame by frame.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It's the afterword at the end of the comic where the real alarming talk starts, people in the comments are actually concerned the author fell into a cult with the conspiracy theory talk about the vaccination passports and the talk of worthlessness.

edit: Also, some people who had trouble with religion in the past are mad because the author never said anything about the comic being about Christianity when she previewed it nor when she first linked it, and were caught unaware about content they normally would have avoided.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 23, 2021

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I read the afterward first, which is part of why I expected the actual comic itself to be much worse than I ended up thinking it was, I guess? I'm commenting solely on the actual comic itself.

Yeah, that makes sense that it lost impact that way.

The initial way that readers were exposed to the comic was via an innocent link below the latest SSSS page, announcing that the comic was complete, with no word on what it was about.

The comic had been hyped up for weeks but shown only in dialogue-free previews, so the usual SSSS readers read it that day, figuring out quickly that it would be about the social credit system, and only like about a third of the way, or around halfway, the bible parts start taking prominence, until it ends, well, like it ends, with bunny Jesus and the afterword ramping up things.

It's glaringly obvious in hindsight that the silence about the nature of the comic was on purpose to get detractors talking about it and giving it more publicity around online than the author would have gotten if she'd been upfront about it being a comic about Christianity and finding salvation from the upcoming social changes.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Everblue is updating again!

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah pretty much

It's even the same modus operandi they tried on McBell's failed recruitment, a car crash.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It seems part burnout and the hiatus but also that the story wasn't going to be terribly long.

https://twitter.com/joechoui/status/1419827836408541236

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Have any of you read Tales From Alderwood? It's wrapping up its very lengthy second chapter, so now is not a bad time to catch up and see if it's up your alley.

It's about Katherine, a beginner mage/street thief in a loosely DnD inspired setting, who's magical curiosity has her stumbling into situations way above her punching weight.

If you like it by pages 15-16 it's probably your cup of tea.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Impatiently waiting for the next Clown Corps just to see how Mustard responds to all this.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Kind of tangential question:

Are there more or less webcomics in existance today than before? Sometimes I feel like there are more, just incredibly spread apart over the wild web and found through word of mouth or sometimes directories and listings all over the place, but then I remember that huge free hosts like Smackjeeves went down, so maybe there used to be more?

It's honestly hard to keep track of everything that was out there and is no longer there, things that still have their archives up but are abandoned or on hiatus, and the comics outside, for example, Hiveworks, that strugge to get a readership.

The directories and listing out there, none of them have everything and some like topwebcomics list defunct comic that people keep voting out of nostalgia I guess?

It feels like a different, more spread out world today, but maybe it's always been like this?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
If I may add a request:

There was a black and white post-apocalyptic comic I started reading but lost the bookmark years ago: It started with a person riding a horse-type creature through the desert. Both the rider and the horse had a mechanical timer on their bodies showing their remaining lifespan, which was close to running out.

I cannot find this comic again. I think I found it via links in the webcomic Princess Planet, which I could swear promoted other webcomics in the description below each strip, but those are gone now.

Did anyone ever hear or read something like that? Like, if it's gone, it's gone, it just bothers me a little that I can't even find a description or mention of it, since it had an interesting air to it, in this deeply melancholic way.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It's uncomfortably real, like watching a once dear friend continue on going down down down while you want to yell at them "pull up, for the love of God, pull up!" but you know they can't until they hit rock bottom, except that rock bottom never comes -- and it also might be what ends them for good.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Hey, thanks for reminding me that Princess Planet exists! Archive's still up and everything, I'll give it a reread the next time I'm bored maybe.

It's so unafraid to be silly, such a good comic.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
RIP Camp Weedonwantcha's website.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
His Patreon seems to be clean of posts too (there was a Patreon exclusive McNinja story there iirc), so yeah, must have been a licensing thing.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Wait, I just found a post about it:

https://drhastings.substack.com/p/hot-enough-for-you?sd=pf

Server went bonkers and he took the site down but intends to restore the comic online at some point in the future.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The second one sounds familiar, but I can't find either, sorry!

Also, hey, Anthony Clark unfucked Nedroid's website and it's functional again, and he's posting new comics!

https://nedroid.com/

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

SavoyTruffle posted:

As much as it pains me to follow such exquisite colouring with my scrawl, I thought I’d mention that my comic Vigils for Friends is back from a longish break with a new format.

I moved it to Neocities from Wordpress so I no longer get any metrics on it, it could be the most popular webcomic of all time and I wouldn’t know. I guess it probably is? Seems healthy not to know either way.

https://vigilsforfriends.neocities.org

I love your webcomic, for what it's worth. It's very funny and charming. I've been trying to read it slowly in separate sessions so I don't run out of comic to read too soon.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Grantaire posted:

I have posted seven new pages of Doomsday, My Dear. I'm going to finish this loving thing :mad:

Just started reading this, and it's so good!

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Tiger, Tiger is updating again and it's wonderful.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
She's someone who knows what she wants: Inflicting violence on others.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Girl Genius had a bit of a record-scratch moment several years ago along those lines:

Dec. 15th, 2006:

:rip: Lars. I don't remember you.

July 1st, 2020:

(Granted, yes, there was time travel involved, but only three-ish years had passed between these events for everyone else.)

Girl Genius is interesting because you have some parts where days or weeks pass by off-screen in a few pages and that's good pacing, and then you have like one in-comic day take years of real time but it's filled with one plot event after another. And if you wanted to edit it to be tigher, you either sacrifice valuable characterization or breather moments. It'd have to be an entirely different story if you wanted it to be snappier. The Foglios are really about the journey rather than the destination.

edit: They are also clearly writing for the archival readers/book collectors. I recently started reading the comic for the first time and barring some very small pacing hiccups it flows real well, it's a real page-turner if you read it archivally (skipping the filler side-stories, which are fun but wreck the momentum).

isasphere fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 15, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I both envy and fear their work ethic.

And yeah, taking both anatomy and physical space as polite suggestions definitely has done them good in their output.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I've really been enjoying:

Rusty & Co. Three DnD monsters decide to become adventurers. Like many other similar fantasy comics it started humorous and episodic and has gradually shifted to a more serious overarching story. The art has really improved over the years, and I really like the puns. (The current pages look simple and crayony but that's not the usual art style, it's a flashback to a weird place.)

SAKANA recently returned from its latest hiatus and is updating steadily. It's a slice-of-life about the workers of a Japanese fish market and their young adult life struggles like asking that cute cashier out and keeping an iron fist over your rebellious subordinates.

Marble Gate Dungeon is about a group of adventurers trying to make fame and fortune exploring a mysterious dungeon that appeared in their world. The initial exposition pages are bit of a slog but the comic starts to shine after that. The author is really good at writing interpersonal drama and the action and exploration scenes aren't too bad either.

The Forgotten Order. It's about a young mage girl that struggles to cast magic and a person cursed into a doll body who are each trying to escape into a better life and find help and support in each other. It has a sort of dreamlike, fairytale vibe to it, even in the more grounded scenes.

edit: There are others I've really been enjoying but I haven't caught up to their latest update yet, will report back when I do.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 21, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I was wondering if anyone recognizes this short webcomic:

It's about a group of goblins who decide to go defeat a wizard and explore a dangerous dungeon. They start as a full squad but lose members one by one to the enemies and traps, until the final goblin manages to defeat the wizard and becomes a goblin wizard.

I think it might have been on tumblr but I can't find it at all. It was sort of monochrome or black and white, and the art style was a little similar to Pocketss but it's not theirs.

edit: Another interesting webcomic:

Solivaga is about a group of mages who obtain their power from energies from a parallel dimension. Said parallel dimension is recently doing funky things resulting in monsters appearing, and magic and the people who wield it being corrupted. The comic is on a break but the author is still actively working on it. It's fantasy with a touch of body horror, lovingly rendered.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 22, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's by the same guy who did the wizard's assistant comics where the assistant is a grubby peasant kid, the wizard has breasts and a beard, and there's a bit about the apprentice touching a skull and waking up the demilich.

No I do not remember the author.

...Well, that must be why I never bookmarked it. Thank you.

Ahhh, yeah, it was weirder than I remembered. Thank you!

Ditocoaf posted:

Wow, Tumblr is a bad place to host webcomics.

I clicked "previous" 28 times, here's a link so nobody else has to: https://wizardcomix.tumblr.com/tagged/goblin/page/29

Thank you too!

Yeah, and the search is busted too. I spent hours searching for variations of "goblin" and "wizard" and "comic" with no result, and if you wanted to change the search terms you had to go back to the homepage to use the search bar there, the search bar in the following results pages doesn't work, it just returns the previous search.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 22, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

lol that description made it sound really weird in a bad way but it's actually just slightly surreal. I was hucking out every memory jogger I could think of in case someone else remembered. Then I remembered it was wizard comix with an x

Yeah, I get what you mean, once I read through the comic archives I remembered how I found them unsettling, but not like gross or anything.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
If you liked Nedroid I think you might like these:

The Stoop Gallants: A group of small town friends with magical-related problems going on a journey to try to fix them. It's complete.

BEACH WZRD: It's about a recently graduated young witch taking up a post guarding over a small town beach and butting heads with an arrogant wizard who decides she wants to own that beach. It's on pause while the author works on the next chapter.

If you don't mind reading an abandoned work:

Boozle: A grumpy wizard and a friendly cyclops go on a quest to collect ingredients for a magic potion.

The author went on to publish graphic novels. I read a few sample pages from Dungeon Critters ages ago and it seemed cool.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

That was somebody asking for new webcomics, I'm okay with really old ones, and had my own unique set of thingies mentioned. But I get it, maybe I'll get into webcomics next time. I have a lot of fancy paper comics and books to read. But if somebody did want to recommend me some more cool character hangout webcomics I might like... :anime:

And thanks for the recs so far.

In that case, here are some I really like, forgive me if there are repeat recommendations, I'm trying to think of ones that haven't been mentioned lately:

Vainglorious: A young dragon challenges the dragon queen and is punished to live amongst humans. He meets a runaway young man who is just as much of a disaster as the dragon. On-going.

Harpy Gee: An elf goes in search of independence and adventure and makes friends. They all have adventures that range from the slice-of-life to the life-threatening. It's more charming than I'm making it sound. On-going.

Sleepless Domain: Magical girls protect a city from nightly monsters. It's one of those stories where things get dark and realistic without being gross or going for just the shock value. The author takes a genuinely compassionate and mature look at depression and the death of loved ones, and more importantly, how to find support in recovery. It's much better than I'm making it sound. On-going.

True Magic: Magic wielding rich jerks harass peasants for fun, said peasants decide to do something about it. It has a very anime sort of vibe/humor but the characters and story gain depth as things go on. The author recently switched to a text plus pictures format like in Paranatural, but I think it works. On-going.

Flaky Pastry: A couple of university students search for a roommate when they are short of rent to pay their hungry dragon landlord. Humor/fantasy. It's also sort of anime-ish, but there is something appealing to me about the writing and art style. On hiatus.

Everblue: A young man meets a shipwright and convinces her to go with him and explore the vast sea and islands of their world. They get tangled up in a political conspiracy, as is usual for these things. Beautiful art. On-going, with hiccups in the schedule.

164 Days: A young man searches for his missing brother with the aid of a mage, and discovers his family was up to shady stuff. Possibly on hiatus? It hasn't updated for a while and the author hasn't said anything.

Solivaga: The dimension that provides mages with magic is going funky and monsters are spilling out. Mages are understandably concerned. The art is gorgeous. It's on pause while the author works on the next pages. Warning: body horror.

Narbonic: A recently graduated programmer gets hired by a mad scientist and her assistant. They repeatedly try to take over the world with evil science. Humor. Complete.

Gastrophobia: An Amazon warrior and her child go on adventures trying to make a living in fantasy ancient Greece. It's on hiatus while the author works on her current project:

Yellow Brick Ramble: Loosely based on one of the books from the Wizard of Oz series; it follows Ozma as she runs away from her abusive mom to find adventure in the land of Oz. The story is completely written already and I think thumbnailed also, so it should update to the finish.

Band Vs Band: The lighthearted music band Candy Hearts keep butting heads with their rivals, the punkier rock Sourballs, while their frontwomen try to figure out the attraction they feel for each other. On hiatus, the author got long covid. :(

Astral Aves: The witchy heiress of a witchy prince goes on a self-imposed quest to achieve godhood like the mythical hero she read about as a child. Her childhood friends decide to help. On hiatus. It hasn't updated in years and while the author is active on twitter, they have not said anything official about the state of the comic.

Commander Kitty: The adventures of an arrogant space captain and his crew. On hiatus. From peeking at his twitter account years ago, the author got trapped in the vicious cycle of "updating the comic less often to take on outside paid work to survive, less comic updates meant less comic monetary support; must take on more paid work to survive so postponing comic updates, etc".

These two are hosted on Tapas:

Dungeons and Doodles: A DnD campaign in comic form. Good art, there's something warm about the characters. It updates monthly.

Pretzel 2 Meet U: Two friends retire from adventuring to open a bakery. One is an idiot and the other enables her. Humor. Complete.

This one is on webtoon:

Scoob and Shag: The adventures of Scooby and Shaggy from Scooby Doo. They start like comic shitposts, then the genre changes to horror/suspense, then to shounen anime. It features many other cartoon characters. It's so earnest in everything it does that it becomes compelling. The author had burned out but recently started updating again. EDIT: Forgot to add, there is body and existential horror in this one too, particularly in the latest pages.

These were interactive pictures plus text adventures like Homestuck:

Blood Is Mine: A woman wakes up in a hospital, wearing a nurse's uniform and bandaged up. There are monsters lurking... Horror (of the body and existential varieties) but also humor. It manages to alternate between violent bloody horror/death scenarios and genuine friendship and love. The author unfortunately burned out before the story finished properly, but wrapped up the plot with epilogues.

All Night Laundry: A university student just wants to do her laundry but gets wrapped up in alternate universe terrifying adventures. Horror (also of the body and existential varieties). Do not read if you have photosensivity. It has bright green flashing lights at several parts. Also do not read if you've recently lost pets. It's complete.

If you want something completely inoffensive to counterbalance the horror, I remember liking:

Faux Paus: It's about talking animals living on a farm for animal actors. It's very newspaper comic strip in tone and humor. Kind of aggressively heteronormative? It has some dated gender/relationship jokes.

Borderline technically not a comic but it's webcomic-adjacent:

Heart Works: A serial heartbreaker accidentally gets appointed as guardian of the magical-technological source of energy for the city, which relies on the power of love of its two guardians who are supposed to be soulmates. It's kind of a clickable storyboard in format. It updates slowly but regularly.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 1, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I also have some tentative recs of stories I haven't finished reading but have liked so far:

Doomsday, My Dear: A pandemic ravages England, and potential carriers are persecuted. Drama/suspense. Excellent character interactions.

Bookwyrms: A young woman finds work at a university's library with her old childhood friend, whose mentor finds a history book that has been altered. They start uncovering a conspiracy that apparently got the girl's parents killed. On-going, pretty art.

Hero Oh Hero: Okay, this one has separate storylines that follow different characters in the same world and I have only read the latest one titled "Held": It features the adopted daughter of a renowed mage and adventurer as she learns magic and combat. It's updating multiple times a day as a special treat.

Webtoon:

Cursed Princess Club: Gwendolyn, a princess of the Pastel Kingdom lives a happy life with her family. One day, her father arranges with the neighboring friendly king for all their children to meet and potentially marry, and Gwendolyn finds out a truth no one in her family ever even hinted about : She is ugly. She runs away into the woods and chances upon other strange princesses who have formed a support club: The Cursed Princess Club.

This one is genuinely so much better than it seems at first glance, though I haven't caught up with the archive and I hope the quality stays like that.

All of Gwendolyn's family genuinely love her and support her and treat her just the same as they do her sisters. But the children all lived such an isolated life in the castle with their loving but overprotective father that they simply never realized that Gwendolyn was different from the others and their father treated them all equally, so the conflict arises when Gwendolyn doesn't want to worry her family and keeps her realization to herself, like a secret curse that she has to figure out on her own.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 31, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Another recommendation:

Alethia: It's about an amnesiac robot exploring different robot societies. Someone smarter than me would word it better, but it examines how personal meaning, relationships and the exploitation in systems interact. It's on a possibly permanent hiatus, but ended on a thematically satisfying note.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Tales from Alderwood just concluded its third chapter and it's suitably :stare:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Imgur had the entirety of that third chapter in a post, and I hadn't yet read the first two chapters, but even then, uh, yeah. Huh.

Yeah, you are not missing a lot of context if you don't read the first parts, they are mostly about how Kat winded up meeting Hechoton and the first mission he assigned her. Chapter 3 spells out the payoff for those things anyway.

edit: By all that, I mean that chapter 3 stands on its own fairly well. I still think the previous chapters are fun, though.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 27, 2024

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Another comic where I wish the author could magically surpass the temporal and physical constraints of drawing so we could get more story faster.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
They often seem to have broken stuff in their pages, from what I remember seeing of website captures in archive dot org of the cast page they used to have.

Look at the pages linked in the current Extras section, for example.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The author of Magefront just launched a new comic about vampires in the Victorian era and I'm liking it so far:

https://concerningblood.the-comic.org/

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The author of Never Satisfied announced that he is not going to continue the comic as it was.
https://www.neversatisfiedcomic.com/

He answered some spoiler plot questions about the plot on his tumblr, like Morgan aka Lucy went full Husk mode in the mysterious flashback, and had an obsidian stone shoved into their eye to eat up the husk magic and that's why Lucy is magicless and wears an eyepatch, but things like the ending remains unanswered because the author doesn't know either.

I appreciate the stern warnings not to draw a longform comic without an outline or at least plans for the endgame.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Yes, that's the tumblr. The answers are not too far into the archive, about 5 or 6 pages in if you browse by pages?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

fun hater posted:

i redrew/rewrote the first chapter of my webcomic and now its on sale in a .pdf format for PWYW (suggested $5).

download it here

first chapter with the original art

The preview images look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I felt this one on a spiritual level:

quote:

Anonymous asked:

if ppl asking questions about what was in the works/could be is annoying just let us know! im curious about ivy...is there anything that you can say about her?

Answer:

i made the world and the rules of the magic and her being a cat doesn't make sense even to me

Like, genuinely, no insult here at all, I would have done the same regarding plot and worldbuilding, except I don't have even the discipline to have a finished page to post online.