Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Nimona needs moved to completed, print only.

Sad as that is.

JspowerHour and its child comic Last Halloween, and Penny Arcade's superior child comic Camp Weedonwantcha are all worth adding imo

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

nine-gear crow posted:

Horror/Paranormal:
The Zombie Hunters: A crew of wasteland scavengers for one of the last outposts of humanity left in the world struggle to come to terms with the death of their former captain (and the conspiracy that killed him).

Please do not get people hooked on comics that seem good but are consistently on indefinite hiatus. This comic is a foul trick, do not fall for it!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is the thread for comics that are either good but updated semiannually at best or absolutely godawful and consistently updating on the same weekly schedule for the past ten years

If it updated semiannually that would be an improvement and I'd be fine with it!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

if it is bad just edit it out no one cares. adding a note is nice if you have anyone maintaining searchable fan archives but no one cares about actual authorial integrity or whatever esp. if it was only in the latest update

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The key to becoming a popular webcomic artist is, as far as I can tell, either:

a) To start 20 years ago or

b) To become friends with other popular webcomic artists and up and comers and get them to promote your work.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So Abby's like of Last Halloween and Junior Scientist Power Hour updates, this time around, was because she was working on a shortish standalone for Halloween.

I like it.

The Door in the Kitchen:
http://www.terror-town.com/stories/4/pages/1

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 2, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Galvanik posted:

Why does Sarah hate Raidah so much?

They have an already existing mutually adversarial relationship from the previous year, before the comic starter I think. They are both sophomores, while most of the characters are freshman (as we've just been reminded, otherwise I would have totally forgot about that).

I think they may have actually been roommates or something? Or something to do with roommates? I can't remember.

Edit: Or maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't know.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

what why oh no

oh no

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

quote is not edit

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 8, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Well poo poo I guess I am cancelling all my patreons. Or at least a third of them. I spead my money around and maybe that was unwise but I was already at my cap of what I could afford to give away each month. Thanks for the heads up I guess.

I also aint gonna fuckin do business with anyone that tries to con me about how much I am paying by adding fees AFTER the fact in relation to how much I said I was willing to pay. gently caress those guys. I dont want to have to do funky math every time I do a pledge to figure out exactly what value I should put in to donate the amount I am willing to donate.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ive been hearing talk of some patrons and creators moving over to Flattr, which seems like a better model imo. You choose the amount to pay to Flattr each month, and the portion of that which goes to each creator you are backing (default is even split but you can change that)

They also seem to have lower fees in general which means the creator gets more

Unfortunately for them I cant figure out how to fuckin use it lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

And convenience is a huge driver in donations. Services like Patreon can bunch payments, like they use to do, reducing fees and making small donations viable. Traditional donation models cant do that sort of thing and so cant take small donations at all, which forces people to only make larger donations to their absolute favorite content.

Its why this is such a weird move for patreon its getting rid of their primary reason for being from a donator perspectice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Stormgale posted:

It appears that by moving to separate transactions it's pay pal eating up all those extra fees not Patreon.

From the fact they aren't backing down it seems they have to, according to post by cool person Dan:

"they are lying about their motivations" is really the only sensible reading of what they are doing. Like he says, their support for small donations is the whole reason they exist - by bunching up transactions, they offered the ability to give more money to artists while charging less to Patrons and having less stuff be tangled up in processing fees.

Now they've hosed it all up, and none of their reasoning, none of the repeated excuses they keep coming out with, make a lick of sense. Their new one "Oh, we had a problem with people signing up for patrons and then un-signing up" is probably the stupidest one yet.

The real question is - why are they lying?

If they really aren't going to be making any money off it, I suppose "being in violation of the law" might be a possible explanation? But I have no reason to believe anything they say at this point, so they might just be planning on making money off it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

It's a branding thing. They're afraid that if people think Patreon is for poors that established artists aren't going to take it seriously. A single successful creator can bring in as much money as 100 obscure webcomics and youtube channels, so they're willing to tell small timers to gently caress off if they think it will help grow their roster of big timers by a few percent.

Ah, the youtube model.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yep, I think we have a winning explanation for why they are doing what they are doing.

I wonder why being a "money transmitter" is so horrible that they are willing to risk their success like this rather than comply with the regulations that govern the-thing-they-most-definitely-are-and-that-is-the-only-reason-people-use-them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 11, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Apparently Patreon backed down. Huh.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There are to adventure comics I would recommend. Both are finished.

Snarlbear and Kid Radd

http://www.snarlbear.com/comic/chapter-one-cover

https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd/

Snarlbear is about a girl that gets dragged into a twisted fantasy reality where she becomes a monster slayer, but soon learns a disturbing truth about what those monsters actually are and what she will need to do...

Kid Radd is Kid Radd.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

The comic isn't part of a 'hive' so it doesn't drive traffic to other comics. It sucks up enormous amounts of money and reader time. It doesn't expand the industry, it crowds it out.

Literally the only reason it is in my trawl is because it has links to a bunch of other webcomics I like and read. He is part of the same cross promotional ring as XKCD, Sam and Fuzzy, Dinosaur Comics, McNinja, Hark A Vagrant and JSPH. He still drives plenty of traffic to those places.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Personally, Penny Arcade is just fine. I get a chuckle and move on with my day, or I don't and move on with my day.

Penny Arcade also hosts Camp Weedonwantcha which is very good.o

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sinfest brings me back.

Sinfest and... Mac Hall? Was that the name?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sluggy Freelance has finally revealed what Oasis is.

Well, I guess it's more "where" she is than "what" she is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I still think she has ghosts in the gas tank, if you catch my drift.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Holy poo poo Prequel has been updating regularly???

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Daughter of the Lillies is good but the cave elf thing seems obvious from Chapter 1 and 2.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 21, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah initially cave elves were a lot less monstrous to the point that at least when I read it it didn't seem bad ENOUGH to trigger the reactions we'd seen. Then at that point the drath red herring was in full swing.

The whole "eating people" thing was still in though, right? So I mean even if she wasn't monstrous, so long as she was recognizable she was still a "eats people race". But yeah I suppose it's pretty obvious now from the moment the cave elf runs away from her in Chapter 1 that she's a Cave Elf (or at least part cave elf) but I never saw it before the edits so maybe it wasn't before.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Whats that comic about the girl and her brother getting super powers and she picked the powet of creation and rebuilt the world?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Platinum Grit has the update schedule of releasing whole chapters at once.

Its why I stopped reading it. I never knew if it was ever going to update again and got tired of waiting and then forgetting who everyone was

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Standard office lighting is actually really bad for sleep schedules isnt it?

I was so much happier once I moved out of an office that used cheap flourescents because the constant strobing was irritating.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anyone else read Stand Still Stay Silent? I just stumbled across it and am liking it quite a lot.

Definitely my favorite post apocyptic zombie comic I have found, all the better because it doesnt have any zombies

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

oh man I've been so excited to get back to Zebra Girl and see the finale

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I wish Straub would stop restarting Broodhollow and getting my hopes up only to immediately abandon it again

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I actually normally like dumbing of age.

But boy howdy is this loving stupid, and it really undermines most of the "superheroism actually sucks" themes the comic built up in the last bad dad encounter.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So you guys (in a convoluted way) have no hooked me on all night laundry via my girlfriend's insistence I read it. Which is... just great. I didn't have time for this binge.

I need to return the favour and get her hooked on something, and I think I have the perfect comic because I already finished it and All Night Laundry reminds me of it. I'm hoping one of you all can remember it, because my memories of it beyond enjoying it a lot are all vague as hell.

There's a guy, featureless world, choose your own adventure style, who summons things into being like (eventually) a giant bird. He fights some monsters in some castle he summoned into being (there's a suit of armor and like a box on a spring), he's alone without other people for a long time but does eventually find some, there's a sun at the center of everything he eventually falls down to

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yep, this is it.

A big flaming stink posted:

no idea but get her to read Feast For a King instead. its literally 5000 pages long and it loving rules but will also cause your brain to melt

I could just do both. In fact, I probably will. But sending her one I haven't already finished is basically playing with fire - what if she just gets me hooked on it in turn?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 4, 2020

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

drat it I thought folks said All Night Laundry was done, but apparently there's supposed to be epilogues coming?

I wonder if it's going to explain the factory in the woods, and the people arguing in French. That's probably the major thing still left up in the air, right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Robin got kicked out and last time the lesbian teacher thought about Robin she grabbed a baseball bat because she figured she might have to hit her. (It was a false alarm, it was not Robin at all)

Mike got thrown off a building, lesbian teacher is now in a normal and somewhat healthy relationship, Amber and Walky are together, Robin hired Dina to be her campaign manager because no one else was stupid enough to work for her anymore, and it's an obvious cover for Robin just wanted someone, anyone, to validate and acquiesce to her.

Also Joe and Joyce slept together after a party. In a perfectly chaste way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-20-chapter-36

Today's Monster Pulse is nice. I'm glad this worked out at least. Sort of still waiting for something to go wrong though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I've never been so satisfied to see someone's tongue get ripped out of their mouth.

I was a few strips behind on Wilde Life. At least now the danger is totally over and everyone's safe and there's nothing more to worry about.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Man Dumbing of Age has gotten exceptionally dumb the last few days.

Everyone gets kidnapped! From the middle of a crowd, and no one notices because they had their backs turned for a few seconds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

oriongates posted:

I only just realized Joe England is still making new Zebragirl comics. Wild.

No? Zebragirl finished its run. Once a year or so he might post a bonus panel or something but that's about it.