Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

isasphere posted:

If I may add a request:

There was a black and white post-apocalyptic comic I started reading but lost the bookmark years ago: It started with a person riding a horse-type creature through the desert. Both the rider and the horse had a mechanical timer on their bodies showing their remaining lifespan, which was close to running out.

I cannot find this comic again. I think I found it via links in the webcomic Princess Planet, which I could swear promoted other webcomics in the description below each strip, but those are gone now.

Did anyone ever hear or read something like that? Like, if it's gone, it's gone, it just bothers me a little that I can't even find a description or mention of it, since it had an interesting air to it, in this deeply melancholic way.

Hey, thanks for reminding me that Princess Planet exists! Archive's still up and everything, I'll give it a reread the next time I'm bored maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ooh, comic recommendations. I've got a few!

Bybloemen

About posted:

Bybloemen - a variety of broken tulip, white with purple or violet stripes

Bybloemen takes place during the height of tulip mania, an absurd chapter in Dutch history when houses were mortgaged for flowers, a virus almost capsized an entire economy, and at least one visiting Englishman was jailed for roasting and eating a tulip bulb he mistook for an onion (possibly). The story follows the adventures of the three largely unknown (and unwitting) architects of this historical incident: a young merchant named Gertrude, a lesser devil named Basil, and his gifted apprentice, Ludwig. Also, several morally bankrupt birds, a pair of fertilizer salesmen, and the residents of one very unfortunately-named tavern.

Hogback Saga

quote:

I’m currently working on a new comic called the Hogback saga. A story set in tenth century Northern Britain about a group of Norse-Gaels forming a new community in the Kingdom of Strathclyde after having been ousted from Dublin.

The link above goes to chapter one, patreon is a hot mess for webcomic archives, chapter two is here, but chapter three isn't finished so it's scattered across many little patreon posts. Argh.

O Human Star

quote:

Alastair Sterling was the inventor who sparked the robot revolution. And because of his sudden death, he didn’t see any of it.
That is, until he wakes up 16 years later in a robot body that matches his old one exactly. Until he steps outside and finds a world utterly unlike the one he left behind – a world where robots live alongside their human neighbors and coexist in their cities. A world he helped create.
Now Al must track down his old partner Brendan to find out who is responsible for Al’s unexpected resurrection, but their reunion raises even more questions.
Like who the robot living with Brendan is. And why she looks like Al. And how much of the past should stay in the past…

O Human Star is finished.

Fairmeadow

quote:

Goma, a wayward Orcish soldier, finds herself in Fairmeadow, a commune of pacifists deep in the Cascadian wilderness. Isolation has allowed the commune to thrive in the shadow of a century-long war, but Goma’s arrival brings troubling reminders of the world outside to those who have settled there in search of respite. Fairmeadow’s enigmatic leader, Sanctuary, finds his utopian vision challenged as he struggles to keep the peace. Their self-sufficiency exists on thin margins - margins that threaten to break if Goma cannot learn to live alongside those who she has sworn to fight.

Fairmeadow is a post-epic fantasy drama inspired by the counter-cultural movements of the late 60’s, the landscapes of the Pacific Northwest, and tabletop RPG’s. It’s about the collision of idealism against pragmatism, reckoning with the consequences of dropping out, and trying to make its readers want to go on a hike.

Devil's Candy

This one put its blurb into an image and I don't think it's that descriptive of the series anyway, so I'm just going to post three pages I think are funny:

See the proliferation of the little strokes...

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I guess it's going to depend on how willing you are to trust the author here. Like, maybe Jeph really does think that's how Executive Dysfunction works or maybe it's just what the character Ayo believes and is actually going to go somewhere, character development-wise. We won't really know until the arc plays out. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Heavy Metal posted:

Started reading Nedroid yesterday, this Beartato is going places! What a charming fellow. I have skipped/skimmed some of the early ones though.

Also, I haven't read many webcomics, especially in recent decades, did read the OP. Any cool fun smooth reads? Especially ones that are somewhere in the middle of not being a surreal gag cartoon and not a very serious one either. And also not action oriented. I guess characters that you like to read, good or funny dialogue that isn't very long/wordy, just has a cool vibe I dunno. I've looked at top webcomic lists but I'm guessing stuff that'll grab me overall would be maybe the 40th to 400th most popular one, and maybe one that was hot 10 years ago and fell off. Anyways, I'm curious about webcomics again.

There's a whole bunch of recs just last page, check those out I reckon.

Edit: argh last last page, dogshit page snipe

isasphere posted:

BEACH WZRD: It's about a recently graduated young witch taking up a post guarding over a small town beach and butting heads with an arrogant wizard who decides she wants to own that beach. It's on pause while the author works on the next chapter.

Speaking of which, hey I read this! It's alright.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I think you might be reading a little more hostility into my response than was intended. Get into webcomics this time, don't leave to next time!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've thought on that, though the suggestion came from Hannalore who's been the author's voice of positive engagement with mental health. Which is kind of the opposite of an armchair diagnosis of someone you met 10 minutes earlier.

It could always be the opening of a story about how accepting there is an issue doesn't mean anything if you don't take steps to address it.

That's a fair point, she is positioned as the reliable source so far: Hannalore could be waiting for Ayo to be feeling a little less delicate before bringing anything else up though, girl's a wreck. Or yeah, Jeph screwed up, we'll find out at some point.

Heavy Metal posted:

Text is wacky sometimes, I was just being a ham looking for recommendations, no worries!

No worries o/

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Are you guys reading Drive? You guys should really be reading Drive.

Edit:

quote:

Drive tells the story of a Second Spanish Empire, a galactic empire, and its looming war with a species called “The Continuum of Makers”. Humanity has built its empire using technology stolen from the Makers — and these creatures want it back with an almost religious fervor.

In the brewing war, it’s clear that humanity will lose, and lose badly, unless they can find some advantage in battle. That hope arrives in the form of a tiny, mysterious creature who can drive a starship like no one’s ever seen. Now all humanity needs to do…is find 10,000 more pilots just like him. But no one knows where he’s from.

We follow the crew of the scout ship Machito (above), who have been press-ganged into a unique mission by an Emperor they despise: Find this mysterious species, or the empire…ends.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm reading Marble Gate Dungeon now, digging it so far.

Edit: I've run out of Marble Gate Dungeon now, Goddamit.

Emzedoh fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 17, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah I also binged Marble Gate after that recommendation. I like it a lot, but... over eight years, it seems like it just got done with the introductory phase and is in the early parts of a second act, which has me already writing off the possibility that it'll see its plans through to the end. I may have become too cynical about this aspect of webcomics, though.

Pretty fair take tbh. I did have a glance at the archive dates though and it seems to be updating fairly regularly, at least.

It is quite funny though how the three characters in the site banner have only just now - as in the latest update - begun to form a group together and two of them still haven't even met each other on page.

Final thought: Ozzie burning his bridges with the dickheads wasn't as cathartic as I had hoped, I bet those hippie elves would be facepalming pretty hard if they saw him do it. Real botch job there, Oz.

Final final thought: Ox is good people.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I thought they handled the damsel in distress beat pretty well in the cyclops chapter, so that might be a reason for optimism against that particular worry. Still, who knows.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I liked this a lot honestly. Ozzie didn’t have a single epiphany that solved all his problems as a person. He’s come a long long way but he still has a lot of poo poo holding him back, including a degree of internalized misogyny and homophobia likely coming from his gang background and how those emphasize being a Big Tough Man (or else).

Luckily, the people he was being a dickhead too were massively MASSIVELY worse people :v:

But it’s a good arc and I’m glad he’s still got work to do.

That's fair enough, but I wanted to see those dicks get a proper telling off, a real breakdown of how they're terrible. Still, you're right, Oz probably isn't there yet. Ah well, maybe he'll go for round two once he's had some character development.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

On the one hand, that could be a real low blow if Oz used it to mock her - on the other, she kinda does need to know about that, huh.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The Foglios are just yanking our chains at this point.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Yeah, them.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Can I just say I found this panel in today's Girl Genius update hilarious?

I'm sure I put into words why, though.

Edit: Keep walking, pal - this throuple's full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Very possible.