Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Alhazred posted:

It must be so exhausting to gently caress in the oglaf-verse considering the very best scenario is that your lover turns into an enchanted fig pudding.

you think that's bad, you should check out feast for a king

actually everybody should check out feast for a king, it's amazing. the content warnings are absolutely not loving around though.

Here's shannon strucci talking about it for 10 minutes if you need more convincing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

FFaK is on hiatus until 2021 in any case. Great time to catch up!

Glagha posted:

I need to read more feast for a king but it's a bit hard to get into because it's incredibly long and it can be slow. Looking at early on when two characters spend like 12 pages staring at each other and breathing.

Fair criticism; I hear you; but that specific sequence is probably the second or third hardest a webcomic has ever made me laugh

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

FFAK and the collected works of Evan Dahm

Also a few tattered scraps of Homestuck on crumbling papyrus in jars in the desert, just enough to spur a lively exegesis and critical debate about its true genius

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:hai:

the thing i think FFAK does so amazingly well, and that the weird pacing contributes to, is that it is confident enough in its unique story to be uncompromising—ambivalent even—towards its audience

like in a weird way, you could describe FFAK as "slice-of-life comic with sci-fi elements that explores identity issues, relationships, and abuse" to put it in the same genre as QC, but FFAK is driven with a much freer hand by its characters' interests and perspectives alone, not any presumption about what the audience wants to see, i think

there's no attempt to be friendly or comfortable in either the content or storytelling technique and it's all the more compelling for it imo

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Feast For a King

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Achewood is definitely the best webcomic you can get in print

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Pavlov posted:

I just binged Never Satisfied, and I still don't understand why Lucy wanted to be a representative, or even what a representative really is, or why it has to be teenagers. Did I miss something, or did the comic just never explain its main character's motivations after 10 chapters?

Aside from what else has been said, the manga Lucy reads in the bakery is about representatives, and Lucy definitely wants to be (respected as) a cool anime action hero.

Also, apart from any potential magical reasons that the plot might reveal, representatives are recruited young to more easily manipulate them—the comic goes on... at length about this?

I also want to say that I think their gender identity is pretty important to understanding Lucy's motivation. The comic isn't by any means entirely a gender parable, but centering nonbinary Lucy definitely highlights that the social tension is all about passing—see also Tobi and Tater, and the double life Su-Yeong has to lead (and now Rin is choosing not to). Lucy's emotional framework for conceptualizing their effort to achieve social recognition as something they weren't born into the traditional way is 100% queer struggle poo poo.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 5, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

^^^ there's no way you're gonna convince me one of the old-mannest of old-man webcoms (esp. now that Schlock Mercenary is over) started any time before 1999

My top five would be, in no real order

Vattu
Feast for a King
K6BD
Awful Hospital

Alethia would probably make the cut if there was a little more of it but it only started in 2019 and is still gathering momentum.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

it's serialized fiction released on the web with pictures and words, what else is missing?

if dinosaur comics is a webcomic, 17776 is a webcomic

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

See, I would argue that for a webcomic the whole browser window is a panel and the next button is all the sequence you need--or are Homestuck and Awful Hospital illustrated fiction rather than webcomics as well?

It's definitely not a conventional comic and there are more specific descriptors you can use for it to be sure, but like..... it counts

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Ulysses "Seen" is/was definitely a webcomic (sadly no longer published online, looks like); i challenge you to find continuity in the images in that one with or without words haha

vvv Dinosaur comics has objectively the most out of whack words:images ratio there is and i don't think anyone would dispute it's a webcomic

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

fun hater posted:

hey, hey hold on a minute buster!! i said sequential!! not continuity!! that's two different things! dinosaur comics is a comic because it's a series of images ordered sequentially to tell a narrative (even if its a short joke)! continuity is the maintenance of unbroken action or canon in a sequence within the art itself!! i feel these are two separate things!!

e: to be honest i think this is an interesting discussion, after homestuck i had hoped that more people would get wild with their infinite canvases a la 17776 for comics but it never really happened. but i hope it does so that this discussion does become even more blurred and messy, sincerely. comics are a weird evolving medium especially since now they can spill over the "pages"

Ok so if those are the definitions you're on board with, I'm even more confused what the distinction you're drawing is--I had assumed you had other usages in mind given that you said 17776 does not have sequential images. Homestuck is a webcomic because you advance through a series of consistently-formatted pages with images and text in order. 17776 is not a webcomic because you advance through a series of consistently-formatted pages with images and text in order, but sometimes the text comes before the images?

I would strongly encourage you to check out Awful Hospital, which I'm sure you will acknowledge is definitely a webcomic. It broadly uses the Homestuck-style CYOA structure (art and words, usually as separate page elements, representing a moment of story each, advance to the next page with a button) but explores a lot more configurations of those elements--the distribution of meaning between images and text swings wildly page by page to respond to the needs of storytelling. Images are regularly used just "to illustrate the points being made in the text, or to create a visual experience that enhances reading the text." You cannot remove all the text and have it scan as a story or remove all the images and read it as an intelligible story (which I think is true of 17776 as well). Webcomic? Illustrated novel?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

OK! Now we're getting somewhere. The core element of comics-ness is in propulsion--the more horsepower per jpeg the more comics-y, I assume?

So take a look at this page, where animated gifs orient you to the positions of the characters in space and the actions they are undertaking--then rams a tornado into the middle of the formation and spirits the eye of the camera into the distance, to the spot the ball lands. No iota of velocity for you there? No transportation from one point in the story to the next?

It is super challenging and interesting to discuss, which is why precision can help, and testing against counterexamples!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm going to be that guy and argue audience-interactive / CYOA type setups like Awful Hospital and early Homestuck are closer to games than webcomics (specifically tabletop games or even freeform roleplay, with hundreds to thousands of people running a single character instead of four people running four characters)

labels don't really work in the wild new internet frontier and 17776 is ... something new altogether

What makes it a game rather than a comic with a particularly large uncredited writing staff? "Game-ness" certainly has a muuuuuuch deeper academic discourse around it than "comics-ness" (hi again Wittgenstein) so we can maybe lean on that a little; a lot focus on an element of competition that mostly is absent from CYOA comics for instance. For my money, though, to be a game something has to be theoretically repeatable with different outcomes, and have some (even unquantifiable) basis for comparing them. Like if the last page of HS was a joke hi-score screen and it was followed by a fresh page 1 with a new chance to name the kid and see how things go this time.

vvvv this is basically it. my definition for a webcomic is any creative project accessed online where the smallest reducible unit of meaning is still visual media.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 28, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Oops, good catch--the archive is undated and I discovered it through a channel that implied it was new, but it's been going up since 2015.

I'm mostly coming at this from very very (very very very) half-remembered McCloud in this conversation so I hope I'm not butchering it!!

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think that, going off of reasonably remembered McCloud (I used his formal analysis in a graduate school presentation about a year and a half ago, so it's relatively fresh) - the 'propulsion' in discussion is the effect of sequential art as structuring time. You can do this in a single panel or multiple, but crucially the comic form usually operates to create a sense of sequence, therefore continuity or causality, by the ordering of the images. The 'gutter' is important because (in modern comics and really in any but very avante-garde comics) the reader is drawn to imagine what occurred between panels, filling in the action.

I bounced off 17776, but I will say that I wouldn't class it as a webcomic less because of close formal analysis and more because it has the sort of cultural position of web serial fiction, which is a different tradition, with different reader expectations and genre assumptions on the formal level.

Homestuck might be similar? But Homestuck was massively influential on and positioned within webcomics culture, as I understand it.

E: Also McCloud is pretty open to the edge cases of comics being hazy and unclear, which is why he prefers the term 'sequential art' for what he's interested in, because it's a broader category containing various other genres besides comics (such as A Week of Kindness).

And the core takeaway of the infinite canvas idea is that once you're free of the rigid pagination mandated by physical formats, the formal qualities of navigation become a much more important and versatile storytelling tool, right? That the 'next page' button, in whatever form or shape, stops being a concession to physical reality and starts being a deliberate stylistic element. The blank browser screen in between page loads becomes the gutter, and the artist gets a lot more discrete control over how it is deployed.

Homestuck's formal innovations are definitely more interesting and more memorable than its plot (and I liked the plot a lot). I still think the coolest thing Hussie did was use web technology to illustrate two different 'theories' of time travel within the same work; the one time in the comic the page is automatically advanced for you is also incredible for the amount of memorable meaning it ekes out of a simple url redirect flash element. It's also the only webcomic I can think of that uses leitmotif.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nuns with Guns posted:

A couple webtoons have anime adaptions now, too, don't they? It's interesting seeing webcomics finally hitting a more mainstream vector, though admittedly only because a large corporate aggregator is collecting and farming them out rather than through truly independent developers.

crunchyroll optioned freakangels of all things, lmao, but i haven't heard anything about it in a while

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Is that a Newgrounds 'Madness' cross-face guy??? :monocle: haven't thought about that aesthetic in so long; what a nostalgia trip! :regd04: in the best way

vvv i think they were originally marshmallows? who knows. so iconic to the early 2000s internet, tho, very heartwarming that someone cares enough to carry that banner forward even after the death of flash :shobon:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 1, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

in b4 "i wonder how anyone is still even reading QC" :v:

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's a bit odd... but I guess Crunchyroll saw how well Castlevania was doing and figured it'd try its hand at a Warren Ellis anime?

witness the glory:

vvv yeah no disrespect, just acknowledging the meme haha

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

feast for a king is back from hiatus...!

if you're feeling lost, the correct point to start your reread in order to remember who everybody is and what they're up to is... chapter 5 i think?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Catching up with Evan Dahm's new comic, 3rd Voice, really digging it so far. I'm always a sucker for post-apoc stuff.

What’s that? An excuse to reread everything Evan dahm has ever posted on the internet? Don’t mind if I do :unsmigghh:

Actually though the ‘extras’ page of the site is currently just an under construction gif but I recall that at one point there was some info on Overside and a short comic about… a prisoner being exiled to the arctic pole? Maybe? Anyone else remember that?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Ugh yes for sure, that rings the bell entirely

Hope those go back up eventually

the rest of this post is just for plugging ffak, please read ffak

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Snake Maze posted:

This reminded me that I actually have copies of some of these, Even was doing a pay what you want thing for a digital download of his complete works during the pandemic. Here you go!

Tusks - This is the proto-Vattu one
Thinker - The One Electronic meets a wooden punchcard thinking machine
Tethered Isle - TOE and Cal visit the place where the unweight flowers grow
Settling Down - Cal buys a home
Jewel of Brambool - Standalone adventure(?) in the riceboy universe

I remember there being another one where TOE and Cal were in a tundra but I don't see it here, maybe it came out later?

Anyway, if this is crossing a line I'll take it down, but I figure it's cool since this was all free on the site before, and presumable will be again once the new site's finished.

Bless :yaycat:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

so i'm trying to track down a copy of evan dahm's illustrated moby dick and i ended up here:

https://www.topatocos.com/

note the url--it feels like bizarrely high-effort, bizarrely micro-targeted scam? but like, what?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

it's weird because it doesn't show up in the top results for 'topatoco' or 'john allison merch' or 'homestuck shirt' or whatever; it specifically is targeting people looking, by name, for things that have been discontinued from niche webcoms retailer topatoco dot com, and i just can't square how bizzarely high-but-still-low effort it is in comparison to what i imagine is a vanishingly small market segment :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Evan Dahm is one of the best there’ll ever be :hai:

Ambiguity Program has been a really cool background watch for me recently and is both a great view into Dahm’s influences and thought process and a genuinely valuable contribution to cultural preservation in digitizing and archiving obscure old animation. If u post here chances are you’d probably enjoy it!