Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mister Beeg posted:

https://twitter.com/MarryMeMovie/status/1461325861752242177

This is based on a webcomic, so it's technically on-topic.

Dang. I haven't thought about that comic in years. It was cute enough, but definitely felt like a romcom movie script that hadn't succeeded in getting anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A lot that aren't doing infinite scroll are still using the format of print comics... just, y'know, comic books or for book collections where every page is a Sunday strip. Of course, you also now have syndicates getting into the webcomics game to help gauge popularity for then moving something on to regular old-fashioned syndication, so the newspaper strip format isn't dead in online comics yet.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I know from context that the robot lady is one of the current bodies of Lucrezia, the Other, still hoping to claim Agatha's body as a suitable vessel so she might live again and become one of these mysterious superpowered Queens (or something more). I don't recall at all if Rat Doctor is anyone from earlier, but the point of today's comic is that there is more than just dissent in Lucrezia's ranks, there is actual treachery - Rat Doctor mentions getting the aid of what I'm assuming from context is one of the Geister (weird all-white women) priestesses to prevent Lucrezia's body-jacking abilities, and Lucrezia is so used to having control either through wasps or manipulation that she's being outplayed now by not just the heroes but her own followers.

That said, I am going to completely forget so many of these people mid-way through the next arc. I'm already bad at remembering specific characters and there are so many in this dang series.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kojiro posted:

I always knew what the last book was gonna be too, so it shouldn't feel as though it came out of nowhere.

Heck, I figured with the initial plot structure around the Deadlies, it was going to finish after the seventh book anyway - it was even called "Curtain Call." Everything since then has been an unexpected bonus.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hostile V posted:

Maxine has spent the entire last chapter learning how to flick cards into a hat and I cannot wait to watch her learn in real time.

Okay I finally started reading it a couple days ago, and not even halfway caught up, but like gently caress Maxine could ever bring herself to do that and not furiously explode half the city somehow out of sheer mad energy needing a release. She's almost overwhelming just to read, holy poo poo.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kojiro posted:

The intro pages for this are loving sick as hell and are what I was hoping this thread was discussing when I saw there were a bunch of new posts, cus honestly it deserves your time.

Man, Ben Fleuter can set a fuckin' mood when he wants to. Someone who actually knows how to use an endless scroll to his advantage, too.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Wait, poo poo, the RSS for Drive broke? I thought he was just having one of those semi-frequent moderate-length breaks between spates of updates. Welp, time to find out how behind I am.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm kind of into QC having turned into this "worm's eye view of the early days of the technological singularity" thing. Like I'm not going to call it a work of genius or anything, but Jeph set down years ago some basic themes and has been hewing largely to them - one in a strip where a character (I think Hannelore) describes how people are so bombarded with change these days that there's no energy to get worked up about it anymore for a lot of people, and in some other strips where mostly Marten but some other characters come to terms with how they're not going to be superstars in whatever field. We're in the singularity, and sure humanity is being sidelined by super-AI and is no longer the rock-star intelligence of the solar system, but that's all happening at a very high level and for most people life just goes on. Just now with robots who are also muddling through.

I still winced when I saw this new guy who has the same body model as Pintsize and is also a little chaos goblin of a person because goddamn man it's hard to be more blatant about sticking in a replacement character, though.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If I cared about realism I wouldn't be interested in any stories that feature the singularity anyway.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm glad he's found some renewed joy in the characters and the setting, and is possibly going to start some more relationship types than just "two dorks on a romantic trajectory." My dumb anxiety-and-depression brain likes that kind of thing but also he's kind of worn an obvious groove into the comic that he keeps falling into.

It's good that the characters have grown beyond the dumb teenager brain about relationships that persists into the early 20s, too. It's absolutely a comfort food comic for me, but there are good things about that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Even the big AI minds don't really seem to care about the idea. It seems to be more efficient for the moment to work with and co-opt the system to get what they want and need, instead of break everything taking over. Which would be a heck of a commentary if intended. (Big if.) Though maybe it'll still turn out like Accelerando where someday the digital minds decide it's long past time to optimize the meat-creatures out and claim the last resources they sit on.

EDIT: Cripes, I just went poking around randomly and Claire and Marten have been Officially A Thing since about comic 2800. It does not feel like it's been nearly half the strip thus far. Then again, I've got friends with 10-year-olds whom my brain insists were born only like 3 years ago.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 13, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jedit posted:

So they've been dating for what, six weeks in QC time?

Probably closer to two years, actually. There have been a couple overt time skips plus implied ones. Long enough that Marten moving with Claire for her work feels reasonable for their relationship instead of impulsive.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Everything about Oscar's design feels very tall, it's true. Like it would be wrong for him not to be one of those lanky-rear end guys who towers over me by more than a foot.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It has not gotten any more focused. It finally joined a few other things in getting pruned from my feed reader recently because I can barely keep track of what's going on anymore and I have no desire to go reread years of archives to remember most of these people and what's going on.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Captain Oblivious posted:

You would be surprised how many people out there are absolutely convinced that the comic is trying to convey

Oscar and Sylvia as some kind of destined star crossed lovers and I’m out here feeling like I’m being gaslit. Really this is just me trying to confirm I haven’t lost my mind

I thought it was going to do that relatively early on, but it did become clear that this would be Not Good if it did happen.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ashcans posted:

I am impressed by Questionable Content's ability to introduce potentially dramatic tone-shifting ideas and then swerve, like 'Hyper-intelligent and super-powerful AIs are real!! They mostly just want to pet your cat.'

It works alright as a device for saying that real life itself is weird with lots of huge changes going on all the time but we also just don't think about it. And mostly want to pet cats.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Birdie's been coming down off a lot of stress in the company of a hot guy who's surprisingly cool about everything, and Oscar has long since burned out too much of his sense of self-preservation from all the weird poo poo. They gonna bang.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ayo's "it's over and I'm glad it's over" breakdown was a little too real though, oof. I still wish I'd believed at that age that something other than four years of college was a viable thing to do. I hated it so much.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ayo continues to be uncomfortably real, including the likely recontextualization of her behavior into "I have to be fun or everyone will hate me, nobody will ever want to deal with me having problems and bad feelings."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

isasphere posted:

edit: They are also clearly writing for the archival readers/book collectors. I recently started reading the comic for the first time and barring some very small pacing hiccups it flows real well, it's a real page-turner if you read it archivally (skipping the filler side-stories, which are fun but wreck the momentum).

Pretty much. It began as a physical comic book and while it hasn't even quite retained that format's pacing, it's still definitely never been written to be read a single page at a time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A few things I've been super into recently:

Tales from Alderwood, a D&D-based comedy (mostly) adventure with some more serious mystery building up. Good characters, and I like the art a lot.

Magefront, fantasy adventure about a bunch of students in a magical military academy who are put through a bonding ceremony with a companion warrior and then drafted for immediate action. Some of them are starting to have their "Are we the baddies?" moments and the answer is probably yes.

Not strictly a webcomic as it's being written for newspapers as well, and you'll have to subscribe to Comics Kingdom to get access to the archives, but the new Flash Gordon comic is being done by Dan Schkade (of Lavender Jack fame) and it rocks. Ming is believed dead, the world of Mongo is in shock, and everyone's trying to figure out what to make of a world suddenly freed from an overriding tyrant.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's not "adult onset" if it was there but being overridden by structure, plans, and other people riding your rear end. Both of them hit that "now what?" moment and promptly ran out of gas even if it hit at a different place in accomplishment.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given Claire's response, professional help for Liz is most likely in her plans even if she has to steamroll everyone else at Cubetown into getting a therapist hired. It's also been mentioned that Dora's place has health insurance though that's all we know about it, and I don't know the particulars about relevant laws around it in Massachusetts to even begin to guess whether Ayo's going to get on it any time soon.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The singularity is happening above everyone's heads - there are AIs that even Station is like, "Yeah, they're just weird." No advances arrive evenly into the world for everyone to enjoy. It's early days of Accelerando but without the Vile Offspring emerging (yet) to cannibalize us all.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It could always be the opening of a story about how accepting there is an issue doesn't mean anything if you don't take steps to address it.

He's hit this note on Faye and Dora already, too. Years ago now in real time, but he does demonstrably show that part of dealing with a mental health issue is actually dealing with it.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

https://swordinterval.tumblr.com/

Ben Fleuter's reposting Sword Interval in a not-Webtoons format, going to do a chunk of 10-15 pages weekly looks like. Good opportunity to give it a look if you haven't before, or an excuse to reread it.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Liz can't hoard all the unlikeable dingus bits.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Their next comic is still "in hiatus" like 13 years later and the rest of either one's online presence I can find seems to have died not super long after. One of them, Sachs, had a LiveJournal update as late as 2018 talking about the functional death of that site, and barring going on some internet-detective deep search that's the latest thing I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Got put on to Backlash recently, a sci-fi/urban fantasy comic that takes place on Keyes, a planet between Mars and Jupiter, in a universe where celestial bodies like stars and planets have souls and minds. And several planets including Mars and Jupiter have gone missing. Follows a young woman called Leadfoot and an amnesiac masked guy called Alias who work for a witch who grants wishes, while Leadfoot also tries to discover what's happened to the missing celestials.

Currently on a hiatus that's supposed to end next month.