Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

It could become relevant because the pirates Zeetha wiped out were Bangladesh Dupree's, and Bang is in England right now too, although I don't think this party is her type of event.

Also, a month ago, the three main leads were in the same strip for the first time in almost seven years, although not in the same room.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

VanSandman posted:

God is that thing still going? I stopped reading it around the unending Mechanicsburg bullshit.

Mechanicsburg was left behind 5 years ago, and there was also a time-skip of two and a half years for some of the cast.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

nimby posted:

It looks like it not just revisiting it, but retelling the flashback!

The first time it was backstory. This time it's probably going to advance the plot in some way, like maybe connecting Zetha's carnage to the destruction of Bang's pirate base by an unknown attacker. Also, I think 14 years ago is not unreasonable to do a recap. TV shows do "Last time on..." showing stuff a week old.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 8, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bobulus posted:

I mean, now that 'double-sparks' have been mentioned in-setting, there's basically no way that Agatha doesn't become that at some point. Maybe temporarily losing your spark is a step in the process?

She did actually, after Higgs gave her a drink of pure water from the river Dyne. Albia even noticed that upon meeting her.

Bobulus posted:

Two more time-travel plot points that might happen:
- Higgs is very, very old, and really, really doesn't want anyone to know his origins. I'm laying 50/50 odds he's from the future and taking pains to make sure he doesn't prevent his own birth or something.

Higgs has strongly been hinted at as the secret Jaeger general. Actually, it's been all-but confirmed in this arc. Tarvek seems to have known for a long time.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 15, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Diabetes Forecast posted:

The only thing I really wanna know is what happened to those Muse robot things that were in the Storm King's castle that blew up. I thought they were kinda neat, especially the fortune teller one (I think it was maybe taken over by Agatha's mom at some point?? I don't remember, it's been so long and it was kinda vague from what I recall.)

Only three of the muses have been seen in the comic so far.

I think Moxana the fortune-teller and Tinka the dancer were both last seen in Sturmhalten, in Tarvek's family castle. Not sure about their fate. Tarvek wanted them to improve upon the clank (robot) body for his sister Anveka, but she died some time earlier (and the robot body continued on, still believing it was controlled by Anveka). Tarvek replaced Robot-Anveka's head with a new head containing a copy of Lucrezia's personality, which was posing as Anveka. No idea what happened to Anveka/Lucrezia. She was last seen with Baron Wulfenbach in the Mechanicsburg hospital.

...Explaining this sounds like I'm a crazy person. Which is quite possible.

Otilia the protector's consiousness is inside a Fun Sized Mobile Agony and Death Dispenser, her original body is broken down. Both are still in Mechanicsburg/Castle Heterodyne the last I knew.

habeasdorkus posted:

GG has the problem of all character dense and plot heavy webcomics that plot just takes a longass time to occur. I still feel like it was just yesterday that they were in the Castle and it had been two years since they entered. Meanwhile there's been like a solid 4-5 plot arcs since then.

Yeah, the amount of characters to keep track of is pretty ridiculous after all this time. Boris (Baron Wulfenbach's four-armed secretary) vanished after the time-skip, and had a speaking part for literally three strips in the Paris underground kingdom sequence before disappearing from the story again, with no word about why he was there and what he was doing either before or since.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 16, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
(Gaia) All things considered, Vivi (AKA Jael) got off pretty well for being at the center of this. 'Pretty well' being a relative term, of course.

EDIT: This is not the comic with the racoon. It's a fantasy world, but the majority of the characters are human.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 27, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

nankeen posted:

wait is this still the comic with the raccoon

No. Same authors, but different premise, different tone. It's a fantasy comic, magic and magitech is readily available to most people. It starts out at a magic academy (think high school seniors, not Harry Potter), introduces the very likeable core cast and setting without bogging you down in minutiae, then big trouble slams into the story unexpectedly.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 27, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I've been catching up on my RSS comics feed for the first time in probably six years, and Gaia happened to be on there. The art is good, and the characters are all right, but I get the feeling the authors haven't thought very deeply about how and why their world works, so problems are usually solved by some new gizmo or magic power, and getting stuck in Oakdale was that comic's version of, "They're still in Castle Heterodyne."

That said, it kinda feels like Gaia is nearer the end than the beginning, so that's more than I can say for a lot of other comics on my list. Hooray for archive reading.

If anything, I think the Jailbreak plotline was the "still in Castle Heterodyne" part. That was about 180 strips. Stuck in Oakdale was about 130, and it was largely to force Lili to learn the difficult spells needed for the thing which just happened recently.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh, and I'm in the market for a webcomic to read. Preferably something with a bigass archive, p good art, and a solid story. Long term favorites of mine are Unsounded, Girl Genius, Kill Six Billion Demons (obviously), and every one of John Allison's various jams. Would love recommendations from all and sundry.

Gaia is a pretty good fantasy comic (No, this isn't the one with talking raccoons) with good art, a reasonably large archive (740+ strips), and an interesting story. The first chapter is only 49 pages and is a good setup of the characters with a surprising hook towards the end.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 6, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of webcomics that started out as print, Girl Genius may be about to take care of one out of 3 Lucrezias, although probably something's going to go horribly wrong. Wonder if they'll try to get rid of the Baron while they're at it.

They are! But it's unclear if they ever got the chance to get that spinal fluid sample they needed.

As for what's going to go wrong, Lucrezia was already fighting Agatha for control and getting dangerously close to winning a few strips ago before "going quiet", so my guess is that Lucrezia took advantage of the distraction to take control as soon as Agatha left the room. EDIT: She's missing now, of course.

EDIT: Wow, Tarvek really meant it when he said "no more delays". That's one long-running issue resolved, at least.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 3, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Joe Slowboat posted:

One of the longest, and to me, least favorite plotlines in Girl Genius is threatening to actually end on the current page. It overstayed its welcome many times over, but they're clearly framing the latest pages as the cathartic conclusion to that whole unending mess.

This may actually mean the plot is approaching a conclusion? We got two Lucrezias going down in this one room, which reduces the number in the wild that I can remember to the one sharing space in Zola and the one from the time windows in the first chapter.

Of course, they have a preternatural capability to drag the plot through three unrelated castles on the way to the one with plot in it, like Mario. So I may be jumping the gun.

After 13 years and 10 months, I think that plotline is finally ready to be over for good this time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Joe Slowboat posted:

Today in Girl Genius, my hopes destroyed: The robot Lucrezia is still out there, making her presence in this mess totally irrelevant. The comic is not accelerating towards a conclusion after all.

That's not a surprise, there's still a gun which hasn't been fired yet and doesn't look to be in the immediate future. Von Zinzer is - as far as we know - still in the time stopped Mechanicsburg. You can take comfort that two moderately long and one very long-running plot elements have been concluded recently. Gil and Agatha getting their parents personalities out their own heads.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rand Brittain posted:

No, it actually is her name.

If that's what her parents named her, her childhood must have been an odd one

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The party is splitting in Rusty and Co., and the readers get to suggest who to take along as companions for each of the three core members. That's interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Is the mystery "why would armor have boob cutouts in the first place"? Because that's not a practical design for combat. (If it's a ceremonial piece, never mind the rest of this post.) The whole thing should be padded, not just one part. I know most people don't know or understand that, it just strikes me as a little odd that the artist seems to know enough to understand that there should be padding in armor, but not that the whole thing should be padded, no matter how many breasts the person has.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I read a chapter or two of that and dropped it because Cassie seemed to have a "boring invincible hero" thing going on (as in she easily defeated her opponents without ever seeming to be challenged).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Machado de Assis posted:

Echoing the love for Outsider, I'm just glad it's actually still ongoing, since until the start of the month it hadn't updated since October last year.

Lately I've been going to Webtoons for my webcomics needs, any recommendations for series outside the bigger more famous ones? My current favorite is Cursed Princess Club, along with Love Advice From the Great Duke of Hell.

Are you only looking for stuff hosted on Webtoons, or is this a general "recommend me a webcomic"?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Machado de Assis posted:

Recommendations of other webcomics would also be most welcome! Aside from Outsider, I'm following Gunnerkrigg Court, Order of the Stick, and I need to catch up with Kill 6 Billion Demons.

If you're looking for a (largely) lighthearted fantasy webcomic, you could do worse than Gaia, which seems to be quickly approaching its conclusion. Now the start does have what seems to be a love triangle situation, but rest assured that it's barely part of the story, and doesn't really come up much after Chapter 1.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Harpy Gee just dropped a surprise plot twist, all the more effective coming a few pages after one which was more of an "I knew it" reveal. One of the comments points out a bunch of instances foreshadowing the twist, which only become clear looking back now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Harpy Gee returned from its scheduled hiatus with a 7 page update to start off Chapter 6.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

habeasdorkus posted:

It looks fun!

Early report from 90 minutes of playtime with the Adventures in Castle Heterodyne demo - short answer, it looks like a solid, fun game. It's a third-person action/puzzler game, I guess you'd call it a Metroidvania, since there's a hub, a fast-travel system, and upgrades to allow you to move around and reach new areas. Controls are pretty simple, movement, sprint, and a dodge-roll. Sprinting and rolling use up stamina, which recharges fairly quickly, but it prevents constant spamming of the roll which makes you invulnerable. You have 5 hearts to start and likely more, and you can carry around a special coffee (healing potion) which has 5 charges of 2 hearts (and that's a thing you can upgrade). At certain points you can refill your coffee for a fee of 10 screws.

There are resources in the game, screws (very common), gears (moderately common), power sources (rare) and some other things I haven't got names for yet (quite rare or special). Smashing scrap piles, enemy clanks, and breakable containers drop some resources (and the containers respawn).

Your first weapon is a fancy wrench (also upgradable), but there are clearly other weapons which will become available later. You can perform a 3-hit combo, with the last hit dealing extra damage and maybe having a slight AoE to it. It's easy enough when there are few foes, but when you are faced with a bunch at once, it can be tricky.

I got just past the "arena", which has a bunch of optional challenges you can do to earn resources, although many are locked and the required time is quite tight for the others.

Sometimes to open paths, you need to send out one of Agatha's little Dingbots through small cracks in the wall to find switches and get to certain machines which control important mechanisms. These are the puzzle parts. You need to rotate a key-like mechanism to point to one or more "tumblers", while avoiding the key touching some rotating electrical shockers. Touching an electrical shocker will turn on a failure light. You need to unlock all the puzzle tumblers to unlock one of the main tumblers. Get zapped too many times and you have to start over. Even the third one of these mechanisms starts having multiple mini-tumblers needed to be unlocked to unlock just one of the main ones.

The dingbot can also find its own tools to use, such as a propeller to fly up vents blowing air up, or drills to burrow into dirt to get past barricades or enemies. You can swap between Agatha and the dingbot by pressing a button, and holding it as the bot will recall it to Agatha (by seemingly destroying it).

I've also found a couple of hidden secrets which reward paying attention and puzzling things out. One of which was uncovered by whacking an exploding chick-bot at the right angle to fly into some debris and explode, clearing the path.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 19, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Here's a stream of Kaja Foglio playing through the Girl Genius: Adventures in Castle Heterodyne demo from last night. I'm not sure how long Twitch keeps streams around, though.

Setup ends at 6 minutes. Questions until 27 minutes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 28, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Girl Genius: Adventures In Castle Heterodyne is now released on Steam or GoG. You can try the demo on Steam. I don't see a demo on GoG.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

You're also in the thrall of the monarch of England?

It was not Albia. I thought it might have been the new queen, because if Albia just wanted to talk to Agatha privately, she could have summoned her/her friends subtly, without the need for puppeteering the Brits.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

I understand why Girl Genius is doing a slow burn (heh) with the introduction to the Polar Lords, and it's neat that they seem to be pretty different from all the other sparks and monsters the comics have shown so far, but you'd think that all the Wulfenbach troops would know a thing or two about how the Polar Lords operate since Gil fought them off a while back.

I guess this is going to be one of those things that flows much better reading back later,

What they're doing now is new. This time they're bringing their own weather with them. Much of what they had couldn't function this far south earlier. Also, when they attacked, a lot of their troops surrendered and asked for asylum, and if they're now revenants, they won't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

shirts and skins posted:

...you know, Girl Genius, I think I'll sit this one out

Yeah, I don't usually mind the diversions, but before this, we just had a diversion seven months ago - one which lasted 11 months and 1 week - and so unless this is just a fake-out (or at least is very very short), that's going to be a little annoying. Seven months of story between diversions feels like too little.

But something about this does give me the feeling of a fake-out.