Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
how is it 2019 and people are still hatereading comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Not really sure why everyone thinks people are constantly about to die in that comic. As much as SD starts with kind of a grim bang, since then it's sort of relentlessly set a different tone than the one you see with a lot of the madoka successors. Consider that we don't even see the original deaths actually happen and it becomes kind of clear that Cagle isn't really interested in suffering as a thing to relish in except as something to establish Undine's PTSD. It's why the comic is good, imo.

Cass is gonna get gooped into some sort of dark magical girl fueled by revenge or whatever, and probably need to do some growing up before she can break free. Classic poo poo.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah thats fair, it just seems to be a given every time the comic comes up, and its always been weird to me

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the problem with all the hate reading is that it clearly just fills up peoples brains with poo poo that they hate, and know is bad. there were too many people who attached a dominic deegan hose to their brain back in the day, and any time someone even marginally made a joke about it someone would stumble in and go "ARE WE TALKING ABOUT DEEGAN, YOU DONT EVEN KNOW HOW BAD IT GOT" and then explain the entire plot beat for beat. it was truly tragic.

critically evaluating stuff is good, but reading something you hate with the same energy and fervor you'd devote to something you like never ends well

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah, the 'Huh, Odd' is definitely hinting that she didn't actually die there. Either she's made some sort of wild gambit by going inside the goop, or she got absorbed imo

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Begemot posted:

If you're interested in lots and lots of context for how and why Homestuck became such a big deal, there's a really interesting podcast from the Ranged Touch guys called Homestuck Made This World. Including historical archive-diving of the thread on this very forum (since the official forums are gone forever).

just wanna say homestuck made this world has been great so far. highly recommend it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
K6BD and Sleepless Domain are the only ones I really follow closely, and they're both great.

Gunnerkrigg isn't as good as it used to be, but I think mostly because its just gotten a little dull, not that its an insane trainwreck or whatever. Clown Corps was really fun but the latest chapter has been extremely weird, pacing wise.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Tony arc had a dumbass resolution but I don't think this makes the comic an anthem for parental neglect or w/e. gunnerkriggs major problem is actually that its just boring now. exciting things aren't resolving. awhile back I read the chapters leading up to Mort dying and, frankly, those owned. wish the comic still had that energy

pretty lol that someone tried to use "wow sounds like you're PRETTY familiar with YA. not me" in an argument about a webcomic though. buddy

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
he was recommending some comics he liked in the comics thread, feels weird to rehash his unrelated posting in a different thread

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
then lead with that!! i think its fair to roast a rec of the titty manga in the comics thread, and that'd be a cooler post to read than rehashing some old beef from a different subforum

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
speaking of k6bd from a making comics standpoint, for the last couple weeks he was using his buffer to post comics one week early on the patreon. which, weirdly, made discussing the comic difficult imo? people who are patrons can't really talk about the new comic they just read with people who aren't, and when that one hits the public, you've already got the context of the next page.

im not mad about it or anything, it was a really cool thing to do. and not really a problem now that the buffer is gone and pages are just gonna go up a day early, but it definitely made me think of how difficult trying to think of patreon content is lmao

e:\/ bro, \/

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 13, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
with the buffer ending its going back to just having the new comics like a day early, so itll be just like before, which seems ideal

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
what

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i follow like five or six webcomics and i just go their page every day or so whenever i remember

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the pacing on this clown corps chapter has been wild. i feel like its been a fairly slow burn and then this chapter feels like we're immediately in the endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dawgstar posted:

It might have been one of those things where Allison could have drawn Conan public domain stories but as Conan himself is trademarked he couldn't make a new story. Funcom at one point bought the rights to REH's stuff - which gave us the MMO - and Funcom was later bought out by Tencent.

he literally says who contacted him if you click through

edit: although my bad I guess cabinet (who owns conan properties international) IS what got bought by funcom? I still dont know why tencent is relevant to this, cabinet was like this long before that

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 23, 2024