Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

still not sure what a heif is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
rhymes with queef

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“cheese-cube”" post="“477043197”"]
[/quote]

it makes your dick pics smaller

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Management posted:

it makes your dick pics smaller

my dilz is a single solid colour so i already just save it as png hth

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

its pronounced "geef" op

that's "geef" with the hard g like jeef

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

i think it's the left over residue from weed buds

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

sounds like you're not prepared for heif, here's a thread to get you started https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834477

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol :frogout: heiffers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehwV2K60r8

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also h265 will win because it's the best so just get the webm fantasy out of your mind lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

your video codec is s piece of poo poo because efficiency comes from having multiple frames that are similar. storing it in a single frame will never be as good.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

where all da HDR support at?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i regret to inform you that pagancow is back on their bullshit

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“The Management”" post="“476466470”"]
this is a codec thread. preemptive gently caress off to pagancow.
[/quote]

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
schwenty seven heif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XccUMOQ978

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/AV1-A-Status-Update-120214.aspx

quote:

What have we seen quality-wise so far? At NAB, Netflix's director of video algorithms Anne Aaron reported that AV1 was about 20% more efficient than VP9, which Netflix found compelling at that stage of the development cycle. Also at NAB, Matt Frost, head of strategy and partnerships, Chrome Web Media, at Google, added that AV1 was 30-35% more efficient than VP9 in their tests (Frost and Aaron spoke on a panel that you can watch at go2sm.com/algorithms).

For a presentation given at Streaming Media East, I compared the quality of the Bitmovin AV1 codec to VP9, x.265, MainConcept, and x.264 (Figure 1). In terms of overall average, the Bitmovin AV1 codec was the best, though I saw nothing like 35% or even 20% reported by Aaron and Frost. To dig into the presentation and all encoding configurations and assumptions, vist my Streaming Learning Center site.

[...]

What do we know? At NAB, Bitmovin showed real time encoding of a single stream of 1080p video into AV1 format, which required up to 200 cores. However, Bitmovin CTO Christopher Mueller predicted that these requirements will drop to 8-32 cores, "sooner than later." Given what we've seen from Bitmovin, and Netflix's comments, expect encoding times to increase substantially over HEVC and VP9.

pagancow will this be of any use to anyone who isn't a massive loss-making streaming media company trying to nickel-and-dime their way to profitability

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Generic Monk posted:

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/AV1-A-Status-Update-120214.aspx

pagancow will this be of any use to anyone who isn't a massive loss-making streaming media company trying to nickel-and-dime their way to profitability

netflix has like 30% margins

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

qirex posted:

netflix has like 30% margins

i'm actually shocked, i just automatically assumed they were in a similar financial situation to youtube and spotify. i guess making people pay money to use your service actually uh, makes some money

pretend i just was talking about youtube then

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Generic Monk posted:

i'm actually shocked, i just automatically assumed they were in a similar financial situation to youtube and spotify. i guess making people pay money to use your service actually uh, makes some money

pretend i just was talking about youtube then

YouTube makes a lot of money from ads. it's definitely in the black

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Generic Monk”" post="“477115888”"]

pagancow will this be of any use to anyone who isn’t a massive loss-making streaming media company trying to nickel-and-dime their way to profitability
[/quote]

ahem

quote:

Bitmovin showed real time encoding of a single stream of 1080p video into AV1 format, which required up to 200 cores. However, Bitmovin CTO Christopher Mueller predicted that these requirements will drop to 8-32 cores, "sooner than later."

encoding a full length 4K movie on your home computer will take a month.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bitmovin is a good company name, "we move bits, you need bits moved we move 'em if your bits aren't movin they aren't moving"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

bitmovin is a good company name, "we move bits, you need bits moved we move 'em if your bits aren't movin they aren't moving"
krush groovin

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

they put your bits in .mov files

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

bitmovin is a good company name

reminds me of bat vomit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

encoding a full length 4K movie on your home computer will take a month.

well, overnight, anyway

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Generic Monk posted:

yes because even if it takes 200x longer to encode money will be saved if less bits go over the pipe.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

yes of course that's my real name... bitmovin

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
is the format spec for heif published anywhere?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

does this count https://github.com/nokiatech/heif

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it's the hevc spec

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

people have tried using video codecs to store a single frame of data, and they always were less efficient than the codecs designed for single frame

articles out there already saying that JPEG is better quality than HEIF on iPhone for stills

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

SAVE THE BITS

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

pagancow posted:

articles out there already saying that JPEG is better quality than HEIF on iPhone for stills

did they compare images with equal file size? or else 2mb of jpeg will most likely be better than 1mb of heif

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pagancow posted:

people have tried using video codecs to store a single frame of data, and they always were less efficient than the codecs designed for single frame

are these articles on the internet somewhere, and do you have a link to them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pagancow posted:

this is precious

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Encrypted posted:

did they compare images with equal file size? or else 2mb of jpeg will most likely be better than 1mb of heif

You don't get to choose the level of compression when taking the photo so it doesn't matter in reality

anthonypants posted:

are these articles on the internet somewhere, and do you have a link to them

You know you could have done 'heif vs jpeg' in a fraction of the time it takes to post

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/04/watch-heif-vs-jpeg-on-iphone-8-compared

Getting the photos in the original heif form to your desktop requires intense spergery, no mainstream editing apps support it, and at several stages it by default autoconverts to jpeg, obviously losing more data. Currently the only advantage is saving phone space

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
it's actually pronounced 'gif', not 'heif'

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Photoshop CC 2018 supports heif and their depth map

suck it up jpegailures

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also lol at the people who are like 'its 10 a month its too expensive!!!" lol if you cant just do 2 fivers a month to pay for PS

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

also lol at the people who are like 'its 10 a month its too expensive!!!" lol if you cant just do 2 fivers a month to pay for PS

is photoshop still the most pirated software or did cloud pricing fix any of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://steemit.com/software/@lifebyadam/top-10-most-pirated-software-of-2017

1. Microsoft Office
  2. Adobe Photoshop
  3. Windows 10
  4. Adobe Premiere
  5. Final Cut Pro
  6. Adobe Illustrator