Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Following the hell out of this. I love this game as it appeals to that weird part of me that enjoys automation for its own sake.

How open are you to suggestions about what you've built so far with regards to efficiency and ease of use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

As long as you don't upgrade the belts, a 1:1 ratio of burner inserters to steam engines can keep up with an endgame factory going full tilt. It shouldn't be much of a problem on the input side, either.

Which reminds me... the miners on the power supply coal are still burner, right? If so, try putting two with their outputs facing each other. They'll power each other indefinitely until the internal buffers fill up.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Poil posted:

Isn't it better to combine the coal and ore to one belt after you've split them down for a line of smelters?

As a starter smelting area, it's solid enough. Sure there will be bottlenecks later on if coal output isn't increased as well. But at that point, you'll be eyeing electric smelters anyway. Basically when it becomes a problem, there will be ways to fix it and make it more efficient at the same time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Why would you not increase coal output later anyhow? Besides it having other uses down the line. That coal helps nobody when it's in the ground!

Oh, definitely expand. Expand for the sake of expansion, and then expand some more! I'm a firm believer in mining stuff for the sake of having it at some point in the future. There's no better sight than a field of warehouses full of ore being distributed to endless fields of smelters that output into another array of warehouses that then feed the rest of the factory complex.

Also I forgot that the electric furnaces mod wasn't a part of the base game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Never, never, never restart. Leave your old inefficient factories where they stand and just build a new one elsewhere. Space is functionally infinite, and those old inefficient factories keep producing their goods as long as you have materials to supply them. So you can use those goods as a springboard for your new, more efficient factory without having to spend the first half hour in the burner tech stage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Full solar... :stonk:

Have you not unlocked the ability to research nuclear power yet?

• Locked thread