Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
nah, water's infinite. You can find the tiniest pond and it'll forever provide water no matter how many pumps you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Here's another handy bit of train advice that I always stick with: One engine can pull two wagons at full speed. Any more, and it wont reach full speed. So try to make sure your trains stick to the 1-to-2 ratio to be efficient. Most of my games I usually have two engines pulling four wagons and that's enough to service my base; for things that go really really far, three engines and six wagons is useful to minimize the number of return trips it has to make due to full inventory

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. Though I tend to go for single purpose trains where possible, so only have 1-2 wagons. Does it chage at all with empty v full wagons?
You could also commission a second train for the same route. Which also staggers the deliveries on longer routes. Depends if you want one big load or lots of smaller loads.

They recently changed train engines so one-to-two isn't perfect anymore, but it's still a fine rule of thumb to keep until you get to later game fuel sources. Sometime in the last few versions they made it so the type of fuel used impacts the top speed and acceleration of a train. When you're using coal, a 1-2 or 2-4 train is fine, but with the most powerful fuel in the game I think a single engine can pull something like ten wagons behind it at top speed!

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I checked out of curiosity, and I actually have some pictures saved on Steam of my old base from a previous playthrough! Since words really cannot do justice just how much space solar takes up. It's a few versions old and got a few mods visible in the screenshots but they're all just convenience / quality of life mods, nothing that actually significantly changes gameplay, so this should all still be mostly accurate for a vanilla playthrough.

It's been ages so I don't really remember the context of these screenshots, but the first one conveniently is a close-up of almost one roboport's worth of solar panels and accumulators, probably as I was showing a friend how I was clearing out the stone in the way or something. The second screenshot is my entire base and rails I took after I launched my first rocket, so it shows off just how many panels I had by the end of my game.

Each one of those blue squares in the mini-map represents the range of a roboport with a one tile gap around the edge for walking. Saved as a blueprint, I could just drop one down next to another and the roboports would automatically connect, and construction robots would build the whole thing. Each blueprint also held pretty true to the ideal ratio of solar panels to accumulators. It's the easiest way to build large-scale solar power.

You'll also notice that there are a loving ton of them. It got to the point where I was putting down concrete in the gaps between the grid just to make walking to the far end to place down another more convenient. By my count there's about 23 of those robo "cells" in the first picture alone, and as you can tell by the giant blue boxes in the second screenshot, there's even more in the north-west corner of the factory because I was running out of room. I'd guess there's about another 17 up there, maybe more since I could have built some with robots that were outside my radar range. That's something like 30 or more roboports worth of space of nothing but solar panels and accumulators, and I probably could've smacked down a few more to be on the safe side.

And that little blue, grey, and yellow blob inbetween them? That's my entire factory.

The solar panels take up as much if not more space than my entire factory.

Now keep in mind this was in the version before nuclear power was put in, so this was a base running almost entirely on solar. Late game factories today will probably not need this many panels to keep the entire thing running, but this is what life was like for a Factorio player for a loong loooonnnngggg time.

ousire fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 3, 2017

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

That's very understandable. Factorio is a great great game, but it is also a VERY thought-intensive game. I'm playing a modded playthrough now and I'm only touching it maybe once or twice a week at this rate. Last time I played I spent over an hour making a spreadsheet trying to calculate ratios of buildings and I just kinda had to stop after that to prevent myself from getting a headache.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

In the past when fuel didn't matter for trains, eventually your base would shift almost entirely to solar and coal was just used for backup steam and some oil production stuff, and it was easy to push the majority of coal to your trains. And I always ended up needing more and more petro and not much light/heavy oil it was easy to keep all of my base on advanced oil refining for maximum petro. Nowadays though you probably want to eventually upgrade your trains to solid fuel so ratios are more important. You still need a buttload of petro though so I usually do a mix between regular and advanced cracking. Maybe half and half, or two regular to one advanced, depending on my oil needs.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Apparently roundabouts tend to jam easier than other types of intersections that don't allow trains to 180. Or so I've been told; personally, I've never experienced a problem with them but that's what I've heard from the Factorio subreddit, which tends to discourage the use of them for that reason. I usually build them liberally since it makes it easy to expand rails in the future, but it's just something to keep in mind.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Oh my god, the belt spaghetti. It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Oh god, belt overflow. That's torture. :gonk:

• Locked thread