Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile I keep quitting games by the time I get to blue science because of the inevitable 'ok, my red and green science is way over here and my burgeoning advanced chip production is way on the opposite side of my spaghetti works because that's where the oil is. It's time to overhaul the whole thing ugghhhhhh.'

Lets see if I do that again this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The other problem, one that I just realized now, is that because blue science is at the end of my main belt it tends to run out of iron.

When your sole iron deposit is tapped out that's not something you can fix by adding more :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

What a novel idea, bussing Green Circuits. That would probably save a lot of organization space in my current factory...

Veloxyll posted:

it's a legitimate strategy! Especially since logistics bots got a rework last time I played so requesters are a lot further in.

I finally hit logistics with my factory at this point and this is annoying as all get out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

I usually have just built lines as I needed for them. Horribly inefficient, perhaps, but it means I just have to worry about whether I have enough Iron/Copper etc usually. (May have also had coal on the bus to make steel as needed at some stage too)

I smelt steel along with iron and put it alongside my bus (two tiles away so it doesn't get in the way of splitting off from the bus) since enough things need it to warrant that. I now realize that Green circuits are kind of the same although it's not worth completely redesigning my factory again for it.

Looking over it my real issue is messing up advanced circuits. Right number of inputs, wrong number of output factories :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'd argue that if you're going to refine oil at all you might as well make use of it since it stores better as crude (it's a 1-1 crude to heavy/light/petro refinement but you need 3x the storage because it's 3x the product :v:)

Even if you don't need solid fuel or lubricant you might as well make some for use later since that's what Basic refinement is really good for.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Meanwhile I mostly use circuit networks to control where fluids go (two pumps connected to a storage tank, one pump always on and the other set to turn on when fluids are greater than or equal to 2k) and to toggle backup steam power whenever it's needed (much like the refinery example posted, only I don't really care that the switch constantly flicks on and off when it mainly serves as a notice that I need more solar footprint period.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I keep restarting as I learn new things which inevitably lead me to conclude that my current setup is woefully inefficient. I feel like that's probably normal? Does Iron continue being a ridiculous bottleneck forever, because I'm getting to the point where one belt just isn't enough.... or I have way too many diverters on it and the constant halving means things downstream just don't get enough. Does this mean I should use power switches to turn off production lines I don't need right now so it can continue downstream? And do diverters work "in reverse"? Can I put two input streams in and extend only one output and it'll merge them, or is there something to do that later?

An answer to both your questions here:

The answer as Thotmix says is 'build more.' More iron, more splitters more more more. This 3 splitter configuration allows you to split roughly 33% of a product off of a line without completely starving it and the steel configuration also shows how to do a 'single splitter load balancer' efficiently.

It's one of the things I picked up early in Factorio, along with the Green Circuit Ideal Ratio configuration and the realization of 'stop caring how much underground pipes cost you need them.'

Also don't be afraid to just let part of your factory sit idle. Yeah things drain power when idle but that drain is often a pittance to your total power production and you can always learn circuits to let you turn parts of your factory off if you really want to save the power.

DoubleNegative posted:

Never, never, never restart. Leave your old inefficient factories where they stand and just build a new one elsewhere. Space is functionally infinite, and those old inefficient factories keep producing their goods as long as you have materials to supply them. So you can use those goods as a springboard for your new, more efficient factory without having to spend the first half hour in the burner tech stage again.

I'd argue taking the middle ground: stockpile a bunch of resources from your inefficient factory and then rebuild the entire thing with those resources to not only make them more efficient but also expand their scope. There's kind of a natural point to do this when you've hit the technologies that let you make things efficient. Red Belts, all 3 types of Power Poles and Crafting Machine 2's is generally when I start thinking 'I should make an inserter/transport/crafting/power' section of my factory rather than simply 'building as I need it' (also a certain long distance transport technology but that's because I tend to play with the RSO mod.) That's really only feasible to do once though, since while I thought of redesigning my factory again after that point to take into account new transport technologies (and the novel idea of bussing green circuits) but by that point my factory was literally 5x larger than before and thus would take me 5x longer to tear up.

The appeal of restarting is often because while space is infinite, it's way easier to build things off of what you've already built since everything you need is right there which means that you're building efficient setups off of an inefficient supply line (which sort of defeats the point.)
Also those factories tend to take up convenient space.

Also moving to a completely new locations means clearing that location of trees, biters, etc. and it can be surprisingly hard to find a good location that contains all four resources you need (iron, copper, coal, water) in close proximity.

Because really:

Veloxyll posted:

Part of the fun of Factorio is learning to live with your terrible terrible engineering mistakes.
Because you are too lazy to tear that poo poo down.

This is the game. I have three problems to deal with in my current factory (more iron, more copper, more power) and another two annoyances (both related to a intermediate product) that I'll need to get to eventually after applying some bandaids to tidy them up a bit.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 9, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thotimx posted:

As an fyi, I don't find trains to be useful as quickly as you get them. Logistics and other power stuff, definitely and I know more about those anyway. I think I mentioned this before but in my 0.14 run, I used a single, minimalistic(two-car) train than ran around to a few locations picking up oil. And that's it. Anyway those things will be coming up soon.

Agreed, in Vanilla you've got tons of resource patches spread all around and it'll take a really long time for you to chew through them before you really need to get a train system set up to pull resources to your main factory.

One of the things I like about the Resource System Overhaul (RSO) mod is that it makes trains a whole lot more important by spreading resource patches out (while making them that much more rich.) Which is a good thing since trains are fun and a decently set up train system is pretty satisfying to get going.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

If Thotmix doesn't mind I can throw together a post detailing how to get your first multi-train track system up and running. Rail signals can be weird to wrap your head around at first but are simple enough once you understand them.

Edit: Update on last page.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 16, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ok, so you might have played around with trains a bit, made a single line running from one place to another to try them out and such. You might have seen videos, pictures or joined a server or two where people had set up really elaborate train networks and wondered 'how they do that?' You might have even tried mimicking those rail networks only to find yourself caught in jams that you had no idea how to prevent.

That was me before this thread started. While I was scratching the Factorio itch that resulted from this thread I sat down and figured out my first theoretically-infinite scaling train network. And now I'm going to pass down what I learned.

Automated Locomotive 102
Or: 'The basics of how to get n-1 trains on the same track where n is the amount of trains you don't think you'll need.'

First off everything begins at the concept level. Since you've decided that you want multiple trains on the same track we can go straight to the next phase: setting up some rules for laying out your track. Here's three simple rules that helped me get started:

Rule 1 - Tracks never cross.
Rule 2 - Trains only go one way.
Rule 3 - Blocks are always longer than your longest train.

To elaborate:

Rule 1 - Tracks never cross. This means that if two tracks touch, they're either joining or splitting. It avoids the most complicated of train problems which is 'where the heck do I put my signals over these crossing tracks?'
Rule 2 - Trains only go one way. This prevents head on collisions and more importantly turns your train network into a simple queue that won't give you as many headaches, especially when you're figuring things out.
Rule 3 - Blocks are always longer than your longest train. This prevents fat train butts from clogging up your network by making sure there's always enough room for another train to pass at a junction or a detour. Otherwise you'll run into situations where two trains are waiting on each other and neither can move because their fat butts are blocking each other.

'But wait!' I hear you say, 'what do blocks have to do with trains?'

Blocks and You, a Primer
To fully answer that let's look at a mouse over of a trail track.

See that line that says Block? In Factorio a Block is defined as 'all connected rail segments that do not cross a signal.' If you haven't used rail signals at all then your entire train network is a single block.
Adding Rail Signals splits that Block up.

Into an Incoming and Outgoing Block as such. The actual numbers of your Blocks don't matter as long as you know that they're there and what your signals are referring to.
Now you know what Blocks are, here's how they work: Only one train can be in a Block at a time. That's it. All other trains looking to get into an occupied block will be stopped at the rail signal (it'll even glow red!)

Note that this only applies to trains you set to be automatic. You can manually drive your train anywhere on your network as you please and the automatic trains will dynamically update their routes around you. You might accidentally cause a jam though, so keep that in mind.

Here's a picture of my first iron/steel loading platform with some drawings on it to show you an example of how to envision Blocks:

There's a few things to note here: the red asterisk on Block 4 denotes where the Train Stop is and that Train Stops do not separate Blocks.
Also Block 3 makes Block 2 kind of superfluous and shows that I'm still learning how to use Chain Signal's properly. Chain Signals are kind of weird.

Unlike Rail Signals they not only look at the Outgoing Block to see if there's a train in it, they look at the Signal ahead and see what it says. To use the picture above, the Rail Chain Signal that separates Block 1 and 2 will turn red if there is a train in Block 2 or if there's a train in Block 5.
In our simple rail system most of the things that Chain Signals are designed to help with are avoided completely (rule 1 tracks do not cross and rule 2 trains only go one direction specifically.) As such I've found them useful mostly to segregate Stations into their own Blocks for organizational/sanity purposes.

You can have as many or as few Blocks as you want. Generally whenever you do something with your tracks, make it a Block.

Now that you have a set of rules to follow and you know what what Blocks are the rest is up to you!

Additional Notes

Here's some things that might help out but I didn't know quite where to put in the rest of the post.
First off, an additional rule:

Rule 4 - All Train Stops have a bypass.

That way you don't have trains at a stop clogging up other trains who have business beyond that stop. Most of the time this will be your main thoroughfare. For very busy stations (like your resource dropoffs) it's good to keep this in mind so that you don't have your Iron trains keeping your Copper trains from leaving to pick up their next load and vice versa.

Second, how to set up your Roundabouts since they're going to be the only way your trains can turn around. Another picture with doodles laid out:

All the green dots denote a normal Rail Signal and the arrows show the way your trains will go through this roundabout. Note the yellow exclamation'd Rail Signal. That's there so that a train isn't stuck in the roundabout hogging it up waiting for the straight track to be free. Follow Rule 3 (blocks are always longer than your longest train) when placing that particular signal and make sure to do any important joining/splitting after that point to keep your roundabouts as free as possible.

Edit: Additional note: this is really as small as you can make your roundabout with signalling it like this. You need this much space, minimum.

Also stick your roundabouts everywhere.

Every grey circle in this picture is a roundabout. Every time you need to make a turn on your main line, try and make it a roundabout. You'll never know when it'll be useful!

Third a suggestion on train size: Plan around 4-5 car trains (including locomotives) because the game has a handy tool for planning out Stations and Blocks that pops up whenever you mouse over or place a Train Stop, Rail or Chain signal:

At first I thought the white sections were simply an indication of 'Train Car length +1 car' but then I made a 5 car train (Fluid Wagons are heavy) and found out that no, it's just 5 car lengths. Keeping your trains 5 cars and under lets you use this indicator in your planning without having to guesstimate the length of your trains. Super handy!

Finally: the Rules and suggestions I've laid out here are what helped me learn the intricacies of Automated Trains and get a handle on how Blocks work. I'm still learning! Don't be afraid to break these rules and see how things mess up! That's how I learned about how to set up my roundabouts (and that Chain Signals are weird :argh:)

That's all I got.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 21, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Overall it would look similar to a normal game except you'd be bum-rushing solar power ASAP. Most of the pollution a factory produces in the game is generated by the boilers and steam engines that you're reliant on for power.

Also I've also gotten into dabbling with Uranium and while it is insane with the amount of power it can generate, it takes awhile to get going.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

Wow. I did not expect solar would need so much space, but I guess it's to balance out pollution being a big drat deal.

For reference, a single Steam Engine is worth 15 solar panels in terms of energy output. Add in the accumulators and extra panels you need to juice them up (so you get max power out of the panels) and you end up with fields of solar power that dwarf your main factory when you go full solar.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

More likely they'll get ticked off at any Radar's you put in a satellite base and work to get those.

If they're not hacked off at pollution or Radar's then generally they'll only hit your stuff if it's in the way of an expansion party.

That's old info though, I got fed up one too many times at the biters distracting me from factory stuff back when you needed them for science.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Red circuits are SOOOO SLOOOOOOW. It's inane. They're a key consideration for using Productivity modules (the orange ones) instead of throwing efficiency stuff everywhere.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I know bots can also help clear them but they're so drat fiddly I usually don't bother with them.

Personal Roboport bots are the best way I've found to hassle-free clear trees. They take most of the fiddlyness out of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Speed Modules (Blue) are useful for steel furnaces since they take longer to smelt than anything else. Other than that there's really no issue to just sticking efficiency in them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

In my last solo, and multiplayer games, we have rushed Requester tech once we get logistics bots. Self-requesting heavy turrets would be nice though.
Laser turrets are very convenient for remote defense, but it'd be nice to be able to do something fancy rather than just MORE LASERS.

Ultimately that's one of the reasons why I started to (effectively) turn the bugs off in my games. They're just not that interesting as an antagonistic force compared to figuring out my own incompetence and working around that.

Also I am of the firm opinion that all endgame armors should have 2-3 exolegs in them. That plus concrete and it's just WOAH.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MechaCrash posted:

Also, how much crap do you need to have on a belt before you throw your hands up and go "gently caress it, trains it is"? I'm assuming that trains can have a higher throughput, since you can load up a bunch of cars, but make up for this by being more complicated. At some point, what I'd like to see is just "the train picks up ore at all these different fields, dumps it off at the Grand Processing Station, and then that iron is put on the bus." I suspect that when you get enough different fields and they're sufficiently wide spread, this may be more appealing than trying to belt it all back.

Speaking of the bus, an interesting thing that compares some of what you do to software design (that is design, not actual coding). I didn't get the idea of the central bus carrying a whole bunch of commonly used items at the time, so I stumbled into encapsulation of features all on my own: this place needs Red Science, so I shovel in iron and copper and Red Science comes out the other side, and I don't have to worry too much about fine tuning the resource levels. Not as efficient, of course, but a hell of a lot easier to build and understand.

You don't use Trains for throughput, you use them for distance. Each cargo car can only hold a single steel chest's worth of stuff and combined with travel time and load/unload time you really need to take advantage of how fast trains are to get them to beat out belts. I've had the grand processing station idea for my train network kicking around in my head a bit but there's one thing that keep me from doing it: doing your smelting on-site gives you twice as much train efficiency than if you were just to ship the ore since ore stacks at 50 whiles plates stack at 100. Plus since you need to line power out to the fields anyway in order to power the drills there's no reason not to line out a bit extra for a line of smelters for that field.

There is one benefit to keeping your central bus fairly limited: the bigger the bus is the more space you need to finagle in order to actually split lines off of that bus. That lets you encapsulate more things in your factory. The only place it really breaks down with is when the super-slow intermediates start getting involved because seriously, red (and blue) circuits are just painfully slow to make.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

That is how one generally mines/imports resources from out of town. Trains don't personally need defending. Between repair bots and their speed they'll be fine. Your powerlines on the other hand...

Are just fine unless they're in the way of an expansion party.

The drills that create pollution are what'll set off the biters.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That's sort of the problem with Modular Armor thingamawhats, at the beginning you really only have one setup: A battery or two, a couple of items that you really want (exofeet, personal roboport, nightvision etc.) with the rest being piddly little solar power to fill up your battery/ies for some use at night time.

The solar panels are pretty cheap to make and take up only a 1x1 square on your armor grid but they produce absolutely pitiful power.

Mr. Fusion (:v:), the other power source for modular armor replaces 'cheap and small' with 'holy shittake's amount of power I can run pretty much everything I want off of this one thing hell yeah.'

Additionally, one of the things that offsets the Flamethrower's short range is that things it sets on fire stay on fire for a bit and also tend to set other things on fire.

Edit: Update on bottom of last page.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The amount of centrifuge's you need depends on the amount of reactors you want running, since the time it takes for a reactor to use up one recipe of fuel cells is about the time it takes for a centrifuge to produce another U-235 assuming you meet the law of averages and don't get RNG screwed.
More importantly, you need to save up a lot of U-235 for Kovarex enrichment. That fixes the RNG part.

Anyway, the big thing about Uranium Power is that Nuclear Reactors get a massive adjacency bonus. +100% massive. So it goes like this:

1x1 Reactor: 40 MW of power
2x1 Reactors: 160 MW of power (each gets +100% from the other)
2x2 Reactors: 480 MW
2x3 Reactors: 800 MW

2x2 is the sweet spot for getting the most out of your reactors since you need space to load and unload fuel cells. 480 MW of power is a pretty insane amount of power though.

The big downside is that unlike coal or solar power, it doesn't scale downward. So once a fuel cell is in a reactor it's getting used up no matter how much of it's power is wasted. Turbines and Heat Exchangers do scale their production/consumption according to your need though, so most players store Nuclear Power as steam in tanks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Is it still 4 exchangers -> 8 turbines/reactor or did they change it again?

For each reactors worth of power. I'll just copy the table I found online.

pre:
Configuration | Reactors | Exchangers | Turbines | Power | Power per reactor
Single        | 1        | 4          | 7        | 40MW  | 40MW
2x1           | 2        | 16         | 28       | 160MW | 80MW
2x2           | 4        | 48         | 83       | 480MW | 120MW
2x3           | 6        | 80         | 138      | 800MW | 133MW 

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MechaCrash posted:

Instead of running a crapload of pipes, how feasible would "bring in iron and sulfur, produce acid on-site" be? Since you'd also need water, I'm going to guess "not very." Maybe using barrels to transport it instead of pipes?

If I were doing it, I'd just barrel up a bunch of acid, manually lug it to the mining site, then throw it in a chest to be un-barelled and sent to the miners. But I think that comes down to "do you want a big pain in the rear end up front, or repeated minor pains in the rear end down the line?" Pick your poison on that one.

For my second (and eventually furthermore) uranium patches I made a dedicated train that pulls a tanker and a single cargo wagon. The tanker train (currently) gets one tank's worth of acid from my main base, goes to the uranium field, tops off the acid store there, loads up on uranium, then goes to the uranium processing station to dump that and cycles between those three stations.

Of course my second uranium patch was a good 30 seconds away by solid-fuel'd train so... I kinda had to do that :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I ended up making a separate oil refinery area that I piped crude to in order to set up lubricant and solid fuel production. Mostly because I didn't have enough space at my original petro-focused plant and the only space I had that was convenient for a lubricant line to go was on the opposite side of my factory :v:

For lubricant and solid fuel it pays to stick with basic processing due to the output ratios line up more with the lubricant/solid fuel inputs than advanced processing (which seems to be really geared for making maximum petro.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A lot of basic railway stuff is best learned by going 'ARGH what did I do wrong OH WOW THAT WAS IT!? grumble grumble have to waddle over there and fix it and...'

You've seen my railway in my tutorial post. I've had to rip up at least 50% more track than I've laid on that thing because of figuring out and finagling the details of rail laying. And that was WITH a personal roboport and 10 construction bots doing most of the work (after I painstakingly made blueprints of my freakin' roundabouts.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's more efficient to set up your train schedules depending on their cargo rather than trying to guess time. For transporting raw stuff though you can still keep it pretty simple:

IF Cargo = Full
OR Time Passed = 60 Sec

That'll leave you to fix any slowdowns on the non-train side while the train'll continue to do work.

Olesh posted:

Traffic jams arise from a bad signal setup that allows trains to stop in such a way that cross traffic is blocked.

The thing with Roundabouts is that in order to set up their signal's properly they have a minimum size that is NOT the smallest roundabout you can make. That's why people tend to have trouble with them, because they're too lazy to get their signals done properly in the first place, leading to jams.

The only jam that should result from any properly signal'd roundabout is if you're manually riding about and manage to catch two trains that get caught in a 'you need to move' 'no you need to move' signal jam or if there's too many trains using it.

Olesh posted:

The basic, low-effort solution is to set up cracking lines (heavy oil to light, and light oil to petroleum), put a pump feeding each line, and connect the pump to a single tank of the initial product - connect your heavy oil cracking line to a heavy oil tank, your light oil cracking line to a light oil tank. Set the pump to turn on when when the tank gets too high (>20k is usually a safe margin). This ensures that your cracking lines will shut off to maintain a reserve of heavy/light oil for producing other products (like lubricant, solid fuel, and flamethrower ammo) and gives you a flexible margin for production without having to worry that you haven't gotten the ratios perfect.

The only problem with this solution is that you can't crack 'upwards' IE you can't crack light/petrol to heavy, which is needed for lubricant. Most of the time when people get their initial oil set up they want to turn everything into petrol (for Plastic and Batteries,) which means they're going to want to switch over their refineries to Advanced Processing ASAP. That means you're getting a whole lot less Heavy output to both turn into Lubricant and crack into other things.

And you do really want to use Advanced Processing whenever you can because you get extra light and petrol out of your crude compared to basic processing, not to mention the loss of output when you crack anything.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Official Factorio Wiki is a pretty good resource all things considered.

Also the Alt key is very important. Hold it down to get a detailed view of everything.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Track Laying mode is something you do have to get used to since it's impossible to do some things without it (unless you have a blueprint for that.) Most of the annoyances I've had with it are actually because of how the game handles train tracks themselves (with the sprite layers making it seem like things are connected when they're actually not or with how the game allows tracks to merge vs. them crossing etc.)

Beacons honestly sounded nicer to me than they are. The affected area I feel is really, really small for what they want you to put into them. I still tried to use them for my smelting setups since Electric Furnaces only get 2 module slots :v:

Veloxyll posted:

And only just realised I could build a modular armour with just a robo-port, 1 or 2 batteries, and all the solar panels for when I'm doing building. Then switch to a different suit for fighting...
Some math nerd can figure out exact solar-battery ratio for maximum robotics (probably actuially involves starting with mostly solar, no roboport equipped, then swapping panels to batteries until you're down to 6 panels to charge the last battery. Then replace 4 panels with batteries, but EFFORT)

Roboport, 2 batteries and the rest solar are as good as it gets. Have to watch out for doing huge projects/everything with personal roboport, especially at night but that's par for the course with personal solar being your only option.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You can see where I sort of tried setting up a main bus but no matter how hard I try I always just end up shoving new parts in where they fit when the time comes... Does anyone really stick to a plan when they start playing this game? Between dealing with biters that come in from an unexpected vector and start chewing on things, noticing that you're low on iron plates and need to solve that and then you're now short on copper and need to solve that when all you really wanted were more god damned green circuits it's hard to stay focused.

No plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Even with minimal biter presence and using RSO so my resource patches last really long I still started going 'I need more iron plates, ok I fixed that now I need more green circuits, ok that's that wait why's my copper so low DANGIT ok, there's that AUGH WHY ARE RED CIRCUITS SO SLOOOOOOW'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Faylone posted:

As long as you have a bunch of turrets loaded with a good stockpile of "plan" and no enemy ever survives contact with "plan" long enough to damage the turrets, that's just fine.

Turrets are useless at mining though. They can't shoot the ore out of the ground! I've tried it just wastes bullets!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Actually with fluid wagons - pretty easy. Since pumps to fill the wagons won't fill the materials train, you just load iron from one side, oil from the other. Put signals around the station and a little behind and let the trains queue to sort it out. Providing there's a timed wait, everything will be hunky dory.

What's this about sides? You can stick something like 12 inserters to load/unload cargo wagons and a single pump will handle loading/unloading crude no problem as long as you have the buffer to empty into. Train pumps have quite a reach.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

That's a tough one with the trains. The easiest fix would be to remove signals from the ring. Only one train can be on the roundabout at a time then, but that also means that what happened here - the two trains on the ring blocking each other - can't happen. I'd guess they wanted to go left and right respectively.

More advanced would be have the entry and ring signals be chain instead of standard, so that trains only enter if they can leave.

Chain signals in the ring don't work unless your roundabout is friggen' ginormous so that they don't read both the next segment of the roundabout AND the exit.

This type of jam will just happen sometimes. The best fix is to make the roundabout a bit bigger, Thotmix's looks like a minimum size roundabout which I've found is too small for this exact reason. I went back an added another note in my roundabout suggestions.

Probably should have thrown blueprints in there but I figured out how to export/import them after writing that post :shobon:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 21, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Jabor posted:

Chain signals absolutely solve this though? The whole point of using chain signals is you want them to find a clear path all the way to the exit before entering the roundabout. So when you have two trains making right turns across each other's path, one of them will go first, while the other will wait outside the roundabout (hence not blocking the first train's path) until there's room for it to make its own turn.
Right, but the problem is for that any train that isn't doing an immediate right turn off of the roundabout will end up blocking itself from going anywhere, as all the chain signals will read each other and rightfully say that the next block is occupied.
Unless your roundabout is friggen' ginormous so you can stick normal signals in there to stop a full-circle read (ideally splitting the roundabout into four NE, NW, SW, SE blocks.)

And even then it won't stop high traffic jams like what Thotmix ran into. That will just happen no matter how robust your train network is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kalman posted:

That’s not how chain signals work - they look at next block in path, so if you don’t need to path through a block (I.e. the last block to connect back to your starting block) it won’t read as occupied for that train.

“When more exits exist, the one relevant to the train path is taken into account.”
Man, I started my roundabouts with chain signals and pretty much all of my trains stopped in the middle of them. All of the time.

So here's what I did to debug: I saw that all my chain signals in the ring were red so I backed the train out, confirmed it's route (a 'left turn,') turned it back on automatic and watched it enter the roundabout and stop when they all changed red.
So I swapped chain signals for normal signals and they stopped doing that.

I will fully admit it could have been any number of problems aside from chain signal weirdness but aside from the one time I caused a jam by tooling around manually I haven't had any problems with the version I posted earlier.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I foresee many problems with that overflow mod unless you really get into circuits and actively monitor how full your belts are.

(Which sort of defeats the point of it in the end but whatevs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My brain is already drowning in the depth of the pool you've sunk into.

Freakin' ore crushers.

• Locked thread