Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Thanks for the LP! Been lurking here for a while, and I'm starting to get a better sense as to what I've been doing wrong early game.

My main problem with Factorio has always been "Late-game looks fun, what the hell am I supposed to do early-game?"

Maybe I'll pick Factorio back up and follow along if I can manage my time well enough. I don't really have the kind of spare time I feel I need for massive time sinks like Factorio these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

I think I'm learning more about how to play Factorio from this Let's Play than I have from the "introductory" videos I've been watching on YouTube.

Then again, I massively prefer SSLPs, so maybe it's just how my brain works.

Thotimx posted:

This is what I do. It's not necessarily better, just fits my style more. While the production will be lower(17 drills only, 10 less), it will last a lot longer because they don't 'overlap'. I'm still mining the whole field.

I also do this, but in my case it's because of my visual OCD. ("Everything has to be the same shade!")

Nice to know that this is just a preference thing.

Thotimx posted:

** 16 Steam Engines @ 900 KW each produce 14.4 MW at maximum capacity.

** 12 Radar Stations @ 300 KW each = 3.6 MW.
** 58 Electric Mining Drills @ 90 KW each = 5.22 MW.
** 15 Assembling Machines 2 @ 150 KW each = 2.25 MW.
** 191 Inserters @ 13 KW each = 2.483 MW.
** 11 Assembling Machines 1 @ 90 KW each = 990 KW.
** 34 Long-handed Inserters @ 19 KW each = 646 KW.
** 17 Lamps @ 5 KW each = 85 KW.
** 7 Fast Inserters @ 46 KW each = 322 KW.

Total Maximum Usage = 15.596 MW. 108.3% of capacity. Oops.

To be quite honest, whenever I had to do this kind of math, I just reached for the nearest APL interpreter (dabbling in obscure programming languages is a hobby of mine) because it's very good at streamlining this kind of workload and doing it quickly. After playing Factorio for a while, I just lose the ability to not be lazy.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Me, every time near the end of my latest attempts:

:v:: Welp, time to expand the main bus again. Anything gonna get in my way?

:v:: ...

:suicide:

gently caress large biter nests, and gently caress the fact that biters can expand them.

I can not wait to see how you handle them. Large biter nests were always either too much of a slog or just plain too much for me to handle in a timely and profitable manner.

But then again, my natural Factorio pace could be compared to that of a snail. My play style in Factorio is... flawed to say the least.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

I think I started using circuit networks the last time I played Factorio to try and save on power usage. In retrospect, the system I set up for that was way too time-consuming to set up for what little I gained from it.

Also, I spotted a typo.

Thotimx posted:

First up, let's meet possibly the strangest 'health potion' you'll ever see. Since you only recover health when you've been out of combat for a while, these can actually be use it.

:confused:

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I keep restarting as I learn new things which inevitably lead me to conclude that my current setup is woefully inefficient. I feel like that's probably normal? Does Iron continue being a ridiculous bottleneck forever, because I'm getting to the point where one belt just isn't enough.... or I have way too many diverters on it and the constant halving means things downstream just don't get enough. Does this mean I should use power switches to turn off production lines I don't need right now so it can continue downstream? And do diverters work "in reverse"? Can I put two input streams in and extend only one output and it'll merge them, or is there something to do that later?

This feeling sums up my whole experience with Factorio. I'm hoping the LP will help point me in the right direction so that restarting, and all the frustration that comes with it, happens less frequently.

• Locked thread