Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Veloxyll posted:

What's a Factorio playthrough without some poorly remembered ratios, anyhow?
My current play style for this game is just to massively overproduce everything and that way I won't need to worry about it running out.

Conveyor clogged with a particular resource or good? That just means I can make more if whatever's down stream from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Glazius posted:

Are walls taller than turrets, or can turrets shoot over walls?

Turrets (and you) can fire over just about anything. Trees are really they only thing in the game that can block your aim so it's often a good idea to prune them back a bit so your defenses have a clear line of fire.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
A person I learned to play the game from used a somewhat hybrid approach to miners, I guess you could say. They didn't jam them all together but they didn't spread them far apart to make sure everything was perfectly covered, either. Each drill was placed one tile apart in each direction to form a perfect square grid with some overlap since each miner can reach one tile out in addition to whatever is directly underneath. I find it's a fairly good compromise and allows you to mine resources at a good rate without having to figure out and hand place each one.

Placing each drill next to each other just seems wasteful and I have no idea how you'd provide power to that. Especially in the early game when poles only provide enough coverage for drills immediately adjacent to them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the tech tree seems designed to put you off your game like that, when suddenly you can combine two things on the opposite sides of your sprawl.

That's nothing a very long conveyor can't solve - seriously. The first base I launched a rocket from was such a mess of pipes and spaghetti belts it was hard to keep track of it all at times, with things like sulfur, batteries, iron, plastic, and other random components being shipped from one side of the base to the other because I didn't bother to plan it out ahead of time (and also because when you first play you'll have no idea what will be needed or when). Logistics bots can help but you'll need a lot of bots to keep a factory of any size running smoothly.

Was it a mess and extraordinarily inefficient but it worked god drat it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Depending on what settings you have selected the biters may slowly migrate back in to fill the space. Just be aware of that before trying it yourself and having your base destroyed.

If you clean out and wall off a large swath it can help you expand later on without constantly having to fight and rearrange things but that can be very time consuming at the beginning of the game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also I've also gotten into dabbling with Uranium and while it is insane with the amount of power it can generate, it takes awhile to get going.
Yeah, when going for nukes you want to start processing uranium as early as you possibly can. The random nature of getting U-235 vs U-238 out of a chunk of ore means you'll want a healthy stockpile waiting in case the RNG decides to gently caress you over and you risk running out of fuel rods.

Once you have nuclear up and running you're pretty much set for power though as it will scale infinitely. Past that point I usually only use solar panels and capacitors for radar that is really, really far out in the field and I don't feel like running powerlines to it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
While I've never sat there and watched I get the feeling that sometimes the game decides to be nice and spits out 2 or 3 pieces of U-238 in a row but other times you need to go through half a drat ore field just to get another. It should average out to ~1 out of every 100 but I feel it would be more like ~10 out of 1000 - you get a few at once but then need to wait for the refinery to cycle 999 times to get what you need.

Once you have 5 or 6 refineries going at once it's not so bad though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That's some, uh, interesting track lay out around that lake to the south. Taking the scenic route around it.

Have we started manufacturing grenades yet? I find they are indispensable when laying out my tracks and need to cut through some thick woods or rocky areas.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Thotimx posted:

Forgot to answer this, but only for the military vials. I cut through stuff like that by ... actually cutting through it. I know, I'm a Neanderthal. The grenades aren't bad for what they are, but I don't use them.

My god, that must be torture...

I find myself flinging around grenades like candy at Mardi Gras when I need to clear an area for expansion. And when laying tracks I'll use them until I get rocket fuel powered tanks to just bulldoze my way through while I lay tracks behind it.

I know bots can also help clear them but they're so drat fiddly I usually don't bother with them.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 24, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

EponymousMrYar posted:

For my second (and eventually furthermore) uranium patches I made a dedicated train that pulls a tanker and a single cargo wagon. The tanker train (currently) gets one tank's worth of acid from my main base, goes to the uranium field, tops off the acid store there, loads up on uranium, then goes to the uranium processing station to dump that and cycles between those three stations.

Of course my second uranium patch was a good 30 seconds away by solid-fuel'd train so... I kinda had to do that :v:

This is exactly what I do as well - have a train that always fills a tank farm of sulfuric acid and grabs all the mine output so it can be processed at a central location near the reactors. It's not even that complicated; it waits on a 5 minute timer then makes a round.

Only thing you have to worry about is what to do with several chests worth of U-235 until you get the enrichment thing unlocked and covert it in to fuel.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You know, I never considered building science vials like that - I usually use the 'feed one factory into the next' method when making circuits and various levels of belts. I'm just about ready to start making high-tech vials in my current game so I'll give that method a shot to see how it works.

As for spaghetti, my factories are such a disorganized mess I spend as much time figuring out how to hook a new resource in as I do building the necessary infrastructure:

(there's even more to the north and west that wouldn't fit)

You can see where I sort of tried setting up a main bus but no matter how hard I try I always just end up shoving new parts in where they fit when the time comes... Does anyone really stick to a plan when they start playing this game? Between dealing with biters that come in from an unexpected vector and start chewing on things, noticing that you're low on iron plates and need to solve that and then you're now short on copper and need to solve that when all you really wanted were more god damned green circuits it's hard to stay focused.

When I finally get logistics unlocked I usually switch to feeding goods into a massive system of bots and just fly what I need where ever it's convenient.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This update is like Factorio.txt - every time you turn around there's another problem to distract you and 9 times out of 10 it's a shortage that reveals another shortage.

That's a lot of furnaces though, I don't think I've ever gone that full bore on smelting. Or maybe I have, I tend to decentralize a lot of that since I inject new sources at random into the factory wherever it looks like production can't keep up. gently caress trying to run 6 belts of iron and copper through a base.

• Locked thread