Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EponymousMrYar posted:

'It's time to overhaul the whole thing ugghhhhhh.'

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I keep restarting as I learn new things which inevitably lead me to conclude that my current setup is woefully inefficient.

DoubleNegative posted:

Never, never, never restart. Leave your old inefficient factories where they stand and just build a new one elsewhere.

This really cannot be stated enough. Ignore the old mistakes, dwell on it as little as possible. Brutally shunt the main bus to a new area and build anew. At some point later you will be happy enough with your shiny new area that you can joyfully reclaim the land & parts of the old mistakes

Don't forget blueprints are available right from the start and are all different kinds of awesome. It saves a lot of mental effort to manually build on top of a ghost template rather than manually build and concurrently think about placement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The 120% / 180% acceleration bonus from solid fuel / rocket fuel can make a big difference, particularly when paired with the Breaking Force upgrades to increase the amount of time spent at higher speeds

I usually start my trains once I have Solid Fuel production going but I'm also a heathen who uses double ended trains, for more compact stations

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleNegative posted:

Full solar... :stonk:

Have you not unlocked the ability to research nuclear power yet?

Solar unlocks after only Green Science whereas nuclear power requires a huge amount of Blue Science

I usually rush for nuclear too :hydrogen:

It looks like he's got only a very tiny amount of uranium readily available and blue science competes for resources with solar panel production to a large degree, so a case could be made for mass solar here

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Veloxyll posted:

It's not that random. it's also not kidding when it says 1% U-235, 99% U-238. it took about 5000 products before I had the 50 235 I needed for REASONS.

Now that Robots are a thing: circuit nerds - is there a way to rig your grabby arms up to read the number of IDLE robots on the network? Because what I'd like is to add robots until I have like 50 idle constructors and 200 idle logistics bots.

0.7% :negative:

Hook the roboport up to the circuit network -> Set mode of operation to read robot statistics -> Note the signals for available construction or logistics bots

Hook the inserter up to the same circuit network as the roboport -> Set mode of operation to Enable/disable -> Set enable condition as the signal from roboport noted earlier, less than desired number of bots

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Veloxyll posted:

*blueprints*

You want me to do all the work for you?
....Yeah ok

https://pastebin.com/KDwdCQWh

• Locked thread