Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blaze Dragon posted:

I will never understand what possessed Konami's translators to rename Kuriball, a perfectly acceptable pun that doesn't gently caress up card text, into the much lamer Sphere Kuriboh.

Long story short, they had to keep 'Kuriboh' in it's name so that it would work with Kuribohrn.

The Japanese archetype name is 'クリボー / Kuribō', and Sphere Kuriboh's name is 'クリボール / Kuribōru'. If they had localized it as Kuriball, then it wouldn't have worked with Kuribohrn and any other Kuriboh archetype support.

Kuribandit, Kurivolt, and Kuriphoton, for the record, are Kuriboh-related monsters, but they're not actually members of the archetype.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Long story short, they had to keep 'Kuriboh' in it's name so that it would work with Kuribohrn.

The Japanese archetype name is 'クリボー / Kuribō', and Sphere Kuriboh's name is 'クリボール / Kuribōru'. If they had localized it as Kuriball (which was a fan translation anyway and not actually it's OCG name) then it wouldn't have worked with Kuribohrn and any other Kuriboh archetype support.

But you could also write it as Kuribohll and you keep the exact same pun, that logic doesn't work.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

But you could also write it as Kuribohll and you keep the exact same pun, that logic doesn't work.

:shrug:

Knowing Kevin Tewart, I honestly doubt that localizing it as Kuribohll ever crossed his mind.

Sphere Kuriboh works fine though, since it's meant to be a reference to Ra - Sphere Mode anyway.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i mean its not even a funny or clever pun, so who cares

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Pointy Professor Oak is way too enthused about races featuring card games on motorcycles in cyberspace.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kuribohlus

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dexie posted:

That's not even all of them. He left out Wretched Ghost in the Attic and the Winged Kuriboh evolutions.
To be fair, the former doesn't have "Kuri" in its name while the latter two are technically more related to Winged Kuriboh than the normal one.

That said, posting for the sake of do diligence:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 26, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, the former doesn't have "Kuri" in its name while the latter two are technically related to Winged Kuriboh than the normal one.

That said, posting for the sake of do diligence:

Wretched Ghost is that cousin that no one likes and tries not to invite to family get-togethers, but somehow finds out about it and shows up uninvited anyway.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Kuribon is also an oddity as it's not spelled with an "h" in the TCG.

In regard to the Sphere Kuriboh thing, Konami could have solve it the way later Harpies like Queen, Harpist, Channeler, and Dancer did by including the following effect: This card's name becomes "Kuriboh" while it is on the field or in the Graveyard.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

Man, Pointy Professor Oak is way too enthused about races featuring card games on motorcycles in cyberspace.

His appearance in the game doesn't even really scratch the surface of his enthusiasm. He's constantly moving around and spinning as he speaks, nearly on the edge of screaming about how much he loves tech.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

His appearance in the game doesn't even really scratch the surface of his enthusiasm. He's constantly moving around and spinning as he speaks, nearly on the edge of screaming about how much he loves tech.

I mean, if you had the technology to play real life virtual card game races on motorcycles, would you ever stop screaming ever?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Shoeless posted:

I mean, if you had the technology to play real life virtual card game races on motorcycles, would you ever stop screaming ever?

Depends. Does my screaming annoy my opponent?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Nuramor posted:

Depends. Does my screaming annoy my opponent?

Not in this universe, with how loudly the characters announce their moves.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

In regard to the Sphere Kuriboh thing, Konami could have solve it the way later Harpies like Queen, Harpist, Channeler, and Dancer did by including the following effect: This card's name becomes "Kuriboh" while it is on the field or in the Graveyard.

The problem with that is that its actually significantly more limiting than just having the support work them innately.

There's also the similar but opposite problem with Red eyes black chick (who was recently renamed to Black dragon's chick) where now every red eyes support has to have the disclaimer doesnt work with red eyes chick even though its functionally irrelevant.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

NejD posted:

The problem with that is that its actually significantly more limiting than just having the support work them innately.

There's also the similar but opposite problem with Red eyes black chick (who was recently renamed to Black dragon's chick) where now every red eyes support has to have the disclaimer doesnt work with red eyes chick even though its functionally irrelevant.

The "except "Red-Eyes B. Chick"" can be errata'd out and seemingly has for some of them. I'm honestly still hoping that Konami Erratas Toon Summoned Skull, Toon Mermaid, and Manga Ryu-Ran so their effects match the OCG versions like Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon did in Duelist Pack: Battle City.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's different about them?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The main difference is that the line "Cannot be Special Summoned unless you control a face-up "Toon World"." was removed and the line "Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing the same number of monsters needed for a Tribute Summon (normally #)." was reworded as "Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing # monsters, while you control "Toon World"."* meaning that after these Toons Special Summon themselves, they can be Special Summoned from the Graveyard with "Monster Reborn" even if you do not control a face-up "Toon World".

Only Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon received this in the TCG at this time and Toon Summoned Skull has apparently not been reprinted in Japanese since the ruling changing all of their effects was issued meaning its card text is still what it has in the ''TCG'' even though that text would not be correct under the current ruling.

*Manga Ryu-Ran and Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon have # as 2 being Level seven and eight respectively while Toon Mermaid omits " by Tributing # monsters," completely do to it being Level four. Summoned Skull would presumably word it as "1 monster" to match Toon Dark Magician Girl.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 29, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about all this card talk, but frankly I'm just disappointed any "Toon" monster's text isn't "Do whatever bullshit you want, gently caress it".

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair if Toons worked like they did in the anime it'd be too overpowered.

It's the same reason that the legal God Cards aren't as OP as they were in the anime despite replicating their main abilities (destroying all opponent monsters by Tributing two of your own, Gaining 1000 ATK and DEF for each card in your hand, draining opponent monster(s) 2000 ATK and destroying them if the ATK has been reduced to 0 as a result, paying LP so that you only have 100 left to give Ra ATK and DEF equal to the amount of LP paid, paying 1000 LP to target one monster on the field and destroy it).

Hell, they were even willing to give Ra its Sphere and Immortal Phoenix forms to give it the ability to be Normal Summoned using three Tributes from either side of the field to that side of the field, then shift control to this card's owner during the End Phase of the next turn, Summon normal Ra with 4000 ATK and DEF despite Ra not being able to be Special Summoned normally and bring it back to life despite the aforementioned weakness.

The Gods can still wreck your face though as Pegasus did to Marik by turning Ra into a Toon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9UQrALFa00

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 30, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

After years of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, it's jarring hearing the actual voices of Marik and Pegasus.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And speaking Toon Winged Dragon of Ra, enjoy this image of it created by an artist named Comic Hand:

Enjoy Comic Hand's depictions of Toon Slifer and Obelisk:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 30, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

And speaking Toon Winged Dragon of Ra, enjoy this image of it created by an artist named Comic Hand:

Enjoy Comic Hand's depictions of Toon Slifer and Obelisk:

Has he done one of Exodia?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Not to my knowledge though you can request it.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Jordan and I are joined by Hobotron, for easily the weirdest episode so far! Continuing our way through the Wheelie Breakers preliminaries, we find ourselves up against the old chief of the Facility, Armstrong! Can this powerful and corrupt ex-warden stop our ascent through the ranks, or will we bust through his security to the finish line? Rev it up!

:siren: ALSO PODCAST TIME! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

The seasons are changing, both in real life and in anime! And so it's time for Xain and I to look at all of the shows coming out next season and decide what we're gonna watch, what we're keeping our eye on, and what we can't be bothered with. Some slight discussion of Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS happens, which we'll expand upon in two weeks for our Summer Review episode!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's weird to see Yu-Jo Friendship appear as a card in-universe.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, everybody knows Friendship exists outside the card game so you can give people victory points to sweeten the pot on trades.

What even is cheating on card games on motorcycles? Pulling up next to somebody to look at their hand?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glazius posted:

Yeah, everybody knows Friendship exists outside the card game so you can give people victory points to sweeten the pot on trades.

What even is cheating on card games on motorcycles? Pulling up next to somebody to look at their hand?

I'd say "ramming", but no, Yusei did that in the anime with no punishment at all. Violence is not illegal.

I don't think there's any actual cheating in these things though. Just look at later series where the protagonists can literally create whatever card they need and add them to their deck mid-match (Shining Draw and Storm Access are bullshit). Or hell, Yugi who could literally move any card in his deck at will thus manipulating his draws.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All Yugioh protags cheat some just cheat more than others.

Also, i'm glad yu-jo friendship is in this game for some reason. It feels like it shouldn't be because it's weird enough it's in the actual card game, though I guess without its original effect it's kinda boring.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The thing with Storm Access is that in-story it's entirely random what monster Yusaku gets from it. From a writing standpoint, yes, he gets whatever card he needs to win, but it's basically the same as a character in the one of the other series pulling a monster out that they've never used before and that just happens to be really good at countering whatever their opponent is using. That sort of thing has being going on since the original series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, i'm glad yu-jo friendship is in this game for some reason. It feels like it shouldn't be because it's weird enough it's in the actual card game, though I guess without its original effect it's kinda boring.

Yu-Jo Friendship, Unity, and Judgement of the Pharaoh are weird because they were giveaway cards in the monthly Shonen Jump magazine, so they were mostly like promotional.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You know Chorps I don't think you should be texting while driving when you're racing against a law enforcement officer.

I mean provided you weren't in motion while texting I think that's a legal grey area and if the officer really wanted to give you a ticket I mean... they gotta hit that quota somehow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a plot point in one series where a guy got his opponent disqualified by """accidentally""" spilling his deck all over the place in front of them so they couldn't help but see. So I guess knowing what's in your opponent's deck is considered cheating in this series? There was also a guy who got busted for hiding cards in his giant sleeves, and Bandit Keith kept a couple in his wristband.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This LP has been making me look up more and more stuff about Yugioh on wikis since I really only watched the original series back in the day, and I think I've determined that the reason every subsequent entry in the anime gets weirder is because everybody in the world there are just adrenaline junkies. Like, in the first (and second) series, they've developed solid light holograms for a drat card game, which you think would be enough to entertain people but I guess not, because then in the vague future of ZEXAL I guess just having monsters standing around wasn't cool enough so they have AR glasses that admittedly makes them boring for people walking by on the street but lets spectators see even wilder duels, then in ARC-V there are literal duelist entertainers because just springing trap cards is amateur hour, then in VRAINS they build a whole VR world for poo poo to really get nuts. Which all culminates in the vaguely defined even farther future of 5D's where the public just decided "You know, watching duels is fun, but what we should really do is put the duelists in real physical danger, y'know, liven things up a bit."

(also reading up on Yugioh lore, wow they do weirder and weirder poo poo as the franchise goes on to match the weird mystical element of "ancient Egyptian pharaoh trapped in a puzzle" from the original)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

5Ds timeline is actually a few years after GX. Zexal is ambiguous but either at the same time or a few years later, Arc-V is it's own thing due to timeline and dimensional shenanigans and VRAINS is the furthest in the future, probably.

5Ds is early enough that Seto Kaiba is still probably a duelist, as is Yugi. In fact a character in 5Ds is the bully who Yugi stood up to for Joey and Tristan as an adult.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

There's a plot point in one series where a guy got his opponent disqualified by """accidentally""" spilling his deck all over the place in front of them so they couldn't help but see. So I guess knowing what's in your opponent's deck is considered cheating in this series? There was also a guy who got busted for hiding cards in his giant sleeves, and Bandit Keith kept a couple in his wristband.

It depends on the scenario. There are parts where people watch each other's duels in order to know their strategies, and so they build counter decks accordingly. But in cases like the one you mentioned or the one from the Armstrong duel, where he looks at Yusei's hand using prison cameras, it's that they've gained info that they otherwise wouldn't know. It's unsportsmanlike conduct.
Oh and then there's just the straightforward cheating and mostly those are allowed to happen because no one catches them or it's not a sanctioned duel.

TwoPair posted:

[stuff about the evolution of Yu-Gi-Oh! as an anime franchise]

Yeah Yu-Gi-Oh! is good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

5Ds timeline is actually a few years after GX. Zexal is ambiguous but either at the same time or a few years later, Arc-V is it's own thing due to timeline and dimensional shenanigans and VRAINS is the furthest in the future, probably.

5Ds is early enough that Seto Kaiba is still probably a duelist, as is Yugi. In fact a character in 5Ds is the bully who Yugi stood up to for Joey and Tristan as an adult.

Oh, I assumed 5Ds was like way into the future for Domino City to turn into some awful class system where the 99% have to live in the outer city. I guess the economy tanked after the subprime duel disk market collapsed.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Oh, I assumed 5Ds was like way into the future for Domino City to turn into some awful class system where the 99% have to live in the outer city. I guess the economy tanked after the subprime duel disk market collapsed.

Well you see the people of Domino City were experimenting with a new form of energy reactor that could use the adrenaline from dueling to power the city, but it went out of control and exploded, basically demolishing part of the city and then splitting the city in half. It was a sudden development that, due to literally splitting Domino City into two parts, helped to quickly establish a class system based on whether or not your way of life was completely destroyed by the reactor meltdown.
And that's how 5D's gets to be a dystopia while still being within 20 or 30 years of Duel Monsters and GX.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

Well you see the people of Domino City were experimenting with a new form of energy reactor that could use the adrenaline from dueling to power the city, but it went out of control and exploded, basically demolishing part of the city and then splitting the city in half. It was a sudden development that, due to literally splitting Domino City into two parts, helped to quickly establish a class system based on whether or not your way of life was completely destroyed by the reactor meltdown.
And that's how 5D's gets to be a dystopia while still being within 20 or 30 years of Duel Monsters and GX.

just to warn you guys, this is chorps HEADCANON trying to once again display it as REAL CANON. here's the truth of how 5ds became a cyberpunk nightmare of a city in 20 years:

half the town read atlas shrugged

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FutureFriend posted:

just to warn you guys, this is chorps HEADCANON trying to once again display it as REAL CANON. here's the truth of how 5ds became a cyberpunk nightmare of a city in 20 years:

half the town read atlas shrugged

Wow, so even worse than Chorps' story then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so like, who exactly is this game for? cause i doubt yugioh fans will be into the weird not actually a card game thing going on, and the racing doesn't look like, super good enough for racing game fans who i assume are a real thing i didn't just make up

• Locked thread