Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

Well you see the people of Domino City were experimenting with a new form of energy reactor that could use the adrenaline from dueling to power the city, but it went out of control and exploded, basically demolishing part of the city and then splitting the city in half. It was a sudden development that, due to literally splitting Domino City into two parts, helped to quickly establish a class system based on whether or not your way of life was completely destroyed by the reactor meltdown.
And that's how 5D's gets to be a dystopia while still being within 20 or 30 years of Duel Monsters and GX.

You know, I can't tell whether you are being honest or not. What has anime done to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

mandatory lesbian posted:

so like, who exactly is this game for? cause i doubt yugioh fans will be into the weird not actually a card game thing going on, and the racing doesn't look like, super good enough for racing game fans who i assume are a real thing i didn't just make up

I'm a Yugioh fan into a different not actually a card game thing, so it's not impossible, though granted that's much more similar than this. I guess it could be for fans of the anime who don't care about the particulars of its attachment to card games?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shoeless posted:

You know, I can't tell whether you are being honest or not. What has anime done to me?

He's being honest.

And he hasn't even brought up the REALLY weird parts of 5Ds yet.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

so like, who exactly is this game for? cause i doubt yugioh fans will be into the weird not actually a card game thing going on, and the racing doesn't look like, super good enough for racing game fans who i assume are a real thing i didn't just make up

kids honestly, atleast in japan yu-gi-oh is still a huge rear end kid's show. and kids love the poo poo out of kart racers, so considering the game's obvious low budget plus brand recognition it seems like a surefire profit.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013

grandmas who only vaguely know about yugioh as something their grandchild is into.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FutureFriend posted:

just to warn you guys, this is chorps HEADCANON trying to once again display it as REAL CANON. here's the truth of how 5ds became a cyberpunk nightmare of a city in 20 years:

half the town read jack atlas shrugged

Yeah. That half got to be rich and enjoy card games on motorcycles as the coolest hobby, even moreso with lots of hot-blooded shouting and entertainment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To put 5Ds into Timeline perspective. Ushio/Trudge is the same bully who gave Yugi poo poo back in episode 1 and led to the completion of the Millennium Puzzle. Given he's an adult, around the age of 30-40 It's easy to say that 5Ds is about 20-30 years from the original.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

people who want the pack-in cards

which is exactly nobody because they loving SUCK

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

To put 5Ds into Timeline perspective. Ushio/Trudge is the same bully who gave Yugi poo poo back in episode 1 and led to the completion of the Millennium Puzzle. Given he's an adult, around the age of 30-40 It's easy to say that 5Ds is about 20-30 years from the original.

did yami not break his mind? dude got lucky then

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

did yami not break his mind? dude got lucky then

He did, you can recover from that.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Onmi posted:

He did, you can recover from that.

kaiba recovered from it and all he had to do to get back into prime shape was being shot at, diving off a cliff and watching a fat clown pretend to be him

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So Ushio probably saw some nerd not getting bullied that wasn't Yugi and got right back to it, or he turned into a bully hunter himself and that's why he's now a Cop.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

So Ushio probably saw some nerd not getting bullied that wasn't Yugi and got right back to it, or he turned into a bully hunter himself and that's why he's now a Cop.

Nothing is ever covered as to what happened to Ushio between series. Since he was literally just a one-note villain for the first chapter. But while he has his prejudices he reveals himself to be a pretty awesome dude. I mean the security thing fits, he was initially a hall monitor/disciplinary committee member who simply let his greed and strength over the weak to rule him. Which was pretty much the point of Atem's shadow games, to reveal the ugly hearts of those he fought and subject them to punishments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FutureFriend posted:

kaiba recovered from it and all he had to do to get back into prime shape was being shot at, diving off a cliff and watching a fat clown pretend to be him

Yeah, Kaiba at least had a GHOST of a chance.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, in our preparation for the final qualifying race in the Wheelie Breakers Championship, we're stopped once again by the cops! This time, we're forced to face off against Officer Trudge, who you may remember from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series. The other cops are still accusing us of stealing our Virtual Terminal, and so it's time for us to prove our innocence by racing and riding against the big man himself! Can we stop Trudge, or will his lockdown style be too much for us to run away from?

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
We in fact get a second named cop much later, Kaz(ama). He appears like four times, but there you go.

The Trudge puns were atrocious btw. Full points, keep it up.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Incidentally, the reason all the cops have cards to engage in duels is because, apparently, they have a special program that forces a D-Wheel into a duel. (Why they wouldn't just have the program stop the bike entirely, but ANIME)

Also the reason that they start smoking is apparently some kind of airbag-like feature while their D-Wheel comes to a stop because they lost.

Also, my favorite card is Magic Cylinder, and I see it in this game, but I've never seen its effect. I also wish Turbo Duels continued to be a thing, so that way there'd be more than, like, 50 Speed Spells.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love how many jokes you guys are packing into these episodes.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Trudge's Goyo Guardian is a really fun card to play with in the real game because you get to steal your opponent's poo poo, but it was temporarily banned and then brought back harder to summon. :(

AmewTheFox posted:

I also wish Turbo Duels continued to be a thing, so that way there'd be more than, like, 50 Speed Spells.

For what it's worth, the official video games that had Turbo Duel modes had Speed Spell counterparts of a lot of real staple spells.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seeing that race through the pipe got me curious - especially in the virtual world, are you ever like racing upside-down or anything?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we're joined by BeamSplash as we take on the final qualifying race for the Wheelie Breakers championship! It's a two race video this time, showcasing both of the competitors, each of which have psychic abilities! First up is Akiza, a character who can make battle damage real, and then we face off against Luna, a young girl with a connection to the Duel Spirit World! Watch out as we talk about the troubled production of 5D's and the way that it ended up affecting the characters and development of the series as a whole!

:siren: ALSO PODCAST TIME! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

With the end of the season comes new possibilities, but for now we're looking back on all the shows we finished during the summer! We recount our way through several good shows, some that didn't live up to their potential, and the anomaly that is Vatican Miracle Examiner! Look out for Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS chat as well! It was a good season to be watching anime.

Glazius posted:

Seeing that race through the pipe got me curious - especially in the virtual world, are you ever like racing upside-down or anything?

There's something that gets kinda close at the end of the story mode but we never go upside-down, which is messed up since they totally do in the show. Maybe for the sequel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't believe they ripped 5Ds off for the new design of Pennywise.

E: Duel Spirits sounds like a shovelware YGO game that got released for the DS.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Huh, didn't know 5Ds was supposed to end after the Dark Signers. I think after Duel Monsters and GX everyone just assumed that Yugioh series were going to run for over a hundred and have poor forethought about the plot - I think it wasn't till Arc-V that they had one long plot that would see the entire series through.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I had no idea how much they flip-flopped on character arcs in this series. That was really interesting. RIP Akiza's relevance.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, most of Yu-Gi-Oh's female cast got hosed over , some just more than others. Téa arguably got it worst since she was never allowed to be relevant in the first place. Hell, the fact that she wants to become a professional dancer is rarely brought up apart from like one filler episode and her duel against a penguin during a filler arc (yes, I'm being completely serious). Alexis and Mai had it pretty bad as well.

In fact the only girl to not seemingly get the shaft is Zuzu from Arc-V who had an active role the whole series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, most of Yu-Gi-Oh's female cast got hosed over , some just more than others. Téa arguably got it worst since she was never allowed to be relevant in the first place. Hell, the fact that she wants to become a professional dancer is rarely brought up apart from like one filler episode and her duel against a penguin during a filler arc (yes, I'm being completely serious). Alexis and Mai had it pretty bad as well.

In fact the only girl to not seemingly get the shaft is Zuzu from Arc-V who had an active role the whole series.

If by whole series you mean the very beginning, sure. Afterwards Yuzu gets shafted badly and becomes a damsel in distress for the whole loving series. Serena gets treated better, but not by a lot.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is just not kind to women in general, but Aki's case stands out by being clearly unplanned, considering just how much breaks down the moment Crow enters the series. gently caress Crow forever.

Blackfeathers aren't even a fun archetype.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the only exposure i have to 5d's was thru the world championship 2011 or 10 game for the ds, and not once did they explain the mc's were all psychic, which seems kinda important

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

If by whole series you mean the very beginning, sure. Afterwards Yuzu gets shafted badly and becomes a damsel in distress for the whole loving series. Serena gets treated better, but not by a lot.

You sure? Cause last time I checked, Zuzu still got to duel well into Arc-V among other things and was only a damsel in distress during the finale act in the Fusion Dimension and even after that point she was still relevant to the plot as she's the one that talks to Yuya within Zarc which in turn allowed him to break free of Zarc's control so Ray/Riley could defeat him.

Getting back to Téa though, the fact that she rarely dueled in a universe where your worth is based on your dueling abilities didn't help her popularity. And while her bashers accused her of making friendship speeches despite the fact that it was Yugi and Joey who actually did it most.

In fact the only time I can actually recall her doing this was her duel with Mai where she was standing up to Mai for Yugi after he lost to Kaiba because of a dirty tactic on Kaiba's part.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't say much about Téa or Mai because to me, they were about as memorable as any one-off villain because, as is the way, they're only ever just...there. And Alexis was just a good student whose claim to fame was having a more plot relevant brother right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Chimera-gui posted:

Getting back to Téa though, the fact that she rarely dueled in a universe where your worth is based on your dueling abilities didn't help her popularity.

In the original series, no one but Yugi, Kaiba, and Joey got to duel much. The side characters wouldn't really get to start dueling a lot until GX.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I can't say much about Téa or Mai because to me, they were about as memorable as any one-off villain because, as is the way, they're only ever just...there. And Alexis was just a good student whose claim to fame was having a more plot relevant brother right?

Alexis did have a sorta plot relevant brother but he didn't matter too much until the last season and she was probably more important than him for most of the series. Still not really all that important mind you, but more important.

Yugioh doesn't really have all too great a track record with female characters (or secondary characters in general outside of the rival and the Joey I guess). Aki getting a big focus early on before production stuff derailed her story is among the best the series has had (with Yuzu from Arc-V being in a similar boat though maybe lasting a little longer), and even later on in the show she faired better than many girls in previous series.

the only exposure i have to 5d's was thru the world championship 2011 or 10 game for the ds, and not once did they explain the mc's were all psychic, which seems kinda important

Only Aki is i'm pretty sure. Luna has a different magical power which is totally distinct from psychicness (I think).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I know that Sherry was introduced as something of a foil for Akiza.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

:same:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Well, some of the powers they end up with aren't exactly psychic, but a majority of them are adjacent to that idea. Akiza has her ability to make battle damage real, Luna can connect with the Duel Spirit World, and Leo has a telepathic/spiritual connection with Luna. Then we have Yusei who can do Extra Duel Stuff as long as he believes he can exceed all limits, and Jack who can capture Duel Spirits and turn them into cards, and also create miracles but I don't think that's ever relevant. Crow doesn't have a power because whatever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crow's too strong to need weird duel powers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crow's power is taking over the series and getting far more spotlight than he ever deserved.

He even got to appear in Arc-V over better choices. So did Jack, of course, but there's no better choice than the King.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So you're just going to be ramming fork-first into the outside wall for the entire game, then? Good to know, for certain values of good.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Also World Championship 2011 has a stripped down version of this game as a minigame and it sucks. Also it's mandatory to do at least once or twice.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also World Championship 2011 has a stripped down version of this game as a minigame and it sucks. Also it's mandatory to do at least once or twice.

oh god yeah the racing in that game is miserable, there's one stretch in the final boss' mansion that just pops out of the ground for some reason that has like 2 races in a row if I remember right

Also turbo duels, which are so, so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time for our first proper race in the Wheelie Breakers Championship! We're joined by FutureFriend as we face off against two of the roughest dudes in the duel racing business: Hunter Pace and Bolt Tanner! Will our discussions of alternative Yu-Gi-Oh! canon and politics be enough to take these two down, or will we wipe out in our debut? Let's rev it up!

• Locked thread