Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, of course. Yugi has to lead the Shadow Cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, naturally. Those guys probably were seeded pretty highly if they ran into some newbie in the quarterfinals.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't believe FutureFriend(s computer) is loving dead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leal posted:

I can't believe FutureFriend(s computer) is in the Shadow Realm.

This is a show for children.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Kaiba could never be President because they wouldn't let him redesign the White House into the Blue-Eyes White House by making the East and West wings into literal wings.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the other hand he's already President and CEO of Kaiba Corp I'm pretty sure, so I don't think he cares. Especially given by 5Ds Kaiba Corp has all the influence of a small governmental body. They managed to suppress the fact that it was their experimentation that destroyed Domino after all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know what's really weird? We're 6 six parts and 5 pages into this LP and no one's mentioned their favorite card yet! Mine's Panther King. It's a fusion of Buster Blader and Panther Warrior. The process goes like this

And...

Ta-da!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Is that an actual card or am I missing the joke?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

It's one of Black Panther's other costumes in marvel vs capcom infinite.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ephraim225 posted:

The joke is that it's one of Black Panther's alternate costumes in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. The armor looks kind of like that Buster Blader card, and Black Panther is a king, ergo Panther King + Buster Blader = Black Panther. I agree, it's not a very well put together joke.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Making me pick a favorite card is like making me choose a favorite child among my 25,000 children, but there'll always be a soft spot in my heart for this li'l guy:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my favorite card is jerry beans man

he looks like jerry seinfeld and he sucks. i wish instead of bee movie jerry seinfeld made bean movie. thank you, now please all log off.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
My favorite card is the greatest monster of all time:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

not a very well put together joke.

that's every joke i make

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we saw Hunter Pace without his helmet in the anime. At least, I don't remember that crazy hair, wow.

(How many guys did Jack ruin anyway? I never connected it before, but that's like... at least four.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
SUMMONED SKUUUUULLL! LIGHTNING STRIKE! But seriously Summoned Skull is pretty legit for a vanilla.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If we're talking favourite cards mine is either Vennominaga

or Chaos Ancient Gear Giant

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna come here and mention that Twitch is doing a marathon of all of OG Yu-Gi-Oh but then I watched for 5 minutes and it is chock full of ads. Still, if you can handle that, you can tune in and watch some classic season 1 bullshit like fusing monsters to magic cards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chaos ancient gear giant

Aka: overload fusion and kick rear end

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I envy people who can so easily pick a favourite, but between the theming, power and me just liking the Synchro mechanic, Cardian Lightflare is certainly a candidate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Chaos ancient gear giant

Aka: overload fusion and kick rear end

It does indeed, nothing more fun than getting an OTK off your opponent flooding the board and you deciding that you've had enough of that nonsense.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlphaKretin posted:

I envy people who can so easily pick a favourite, but between the theming, power and me just liking the Synchro mechanic, Cardian Lightflare is certainly a candidate.

Cardians are the single best thing to come out of Arc-V. That and Superheavies.
Most everything else was highly disruptive degeneracy that dominated the game.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time for the semi-final match, and we're facing off against a real tough guy! Greiger is no joke, and neither are his military-themed monsters. To face off against such a dangerous opponent, we're bringing Leo's deck, which is just a bunch of transforming toys! Can our mockery of machinery defeat Greiger's incredible bike, or will we be left in the dust?

:siren: ALSO PODCAST TIME! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

It's time to suit up for a new adventure! My friends Jay and Hobo join me to discuss Lupin III's latest adventure and his journey through Italy! It's a good time with plenty of wild adventures, and some good emotional arcs and story development for Lupin and his merry band of cohorts.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I mentioned earlier that Greiger's Duel Runner was unnamed in the Japanese version while the dub named it The Beast presumably because of how ridiculous it was.

Worth noting that The Beast was destroyed when he Dueled Crow Hogan, at which point he gets a second Duel Runner that is similar in design to it, albeit much smaller, and contains a sidecar for his siblings:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If we're still posting favorite cards, I've always been partial to the Dark Paladin.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What does a monster with a 0 defense mean? It'll blow up if anything hits it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

What does a monster with a 0 defense mean? It'll blow up if anything hits it?

Kind of? Yu-gi-oh cards have two values, attack points and defense points. They can also switch "modes". For example, if Player A has a monster with 200 ATK points attack Player B's monster with 100 ATK points. A is successful, B's monster is destroyed, and the difference between their attack comes from B's life points. If B's monster is in defense mode though, when A's monster attacks, its attack power is measured against B's defense stat rather than attack. And even if it's destroyed, it doesn't subtract from B's life points, which is the main appeal of cards in defense mode.

tl;dr: Yes it will blow right up, but only if it's in defense mode

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TwoPair posted:

Kind of? Yu-gi-oh cards have two values, attack points and defense points. They can also switch "modes". For example, if Player A has a monster with 200 ATK points attack Player B's monster with 100 ATK points. A is successful, B's monster is destroyed, and the difference between their attack comes from B's life points. If B's monster is in defense mode though, when A's monster attacks, its attack power is measured against B's defense stat rather than attack. And even if it's destroyed, it doesn't subtract from B's life points, which is the main appeal of cards in defense mode.

tl;dr: Yes it will blow right up, but only if it's in defense mode

I'm pretty sure the question was about how 0 defense works in this game (where I can't even remotely begin to understand stats in the first place, to be honest. Attack vs LP is obvious, but how do monster battles work? What determines the lifebar? I don't get it at all), not in the card game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhh yeah I'd like to get to know that too :shobon:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, I'd love to know that myself! The manual doesn't say anything about it, the game has zero tutorializing, and none of the FAQs online seem to have an idea either. A monster will take damage from any attack regardless of ATK vs DEF, but monsters with 0 DEF definitely die a lot faster than monsters with equivalent ATK and greater DEF. And I've seen monsters with 0 DEF survive attacks from weak monsters like Sonic Chick, so DEF is not just health. So my best guess after 50 hours of game time is that health is ATK + DEF, and so DEF is just a straight health modifier.
If you watch episode 6, Bolt Tanner uses Wave Motion Cannon on Red Dragon Archfiend (3000ATK/2000DEF) twice, and seems to take out approximately 40% of my health bar, which would match my hypothesis. That's about the best I can do in terms of investigative journalism, but I think it's close enough to be canon.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, it's time for our final match in the Wheelie Breakers Championship! And the last challenge is going to test our limits as we face off against the two strongest boys, Yusei Fudo and Jack Atlas! Can we wrestle the glory from the main characters and take the gold, or will we be left in the dust but their superior skills? It's all or nothing on the final story update of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers!

We've got one more episode to go where we show off the Grand Prix mode, and then that's it for this little adventure into weird licensed games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You seem to have a very weird idea about Jack's characterization. Jack is an ENTERTAINER and the coolest and was the King at one point. His crimes are mostly stealing a bike and a card (admittedly, a very big crime in YGO, but he was fully willing to give it back the moment Yusei came for said card) and pretending he wasn't poor as poo poo at one point.

Meanwhile, his good points include stopping, sealing and then taking the power of an evil demon for himself through sheer hot bloodedness, taking a whiny as poo poo protagonist and turning him into an acceptable protagonist (for a while...Arc-V is like that), getting the City to stop squabbling...okay, yes, most of this was done by an alternate universe version of Jack Atlas, but Jack is Jack.

Jack is the best, basically. He is the true King.

Also wow, that's a short game and an underwhelming ending. I expected at least some conflict but I guess the entire thing is just the first few eps of 5D's but with all the interesting parts stripped away.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
nice Kangaroo Jack deep cut

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You seem to have a very weird idea about Jack's characterization. Jack is an ENTERTAINER and the coolest and was the King at one point. His crimes are mostly stealing a bike and a card (admittedly, a very big crime in YGO, but he was fully willing to give it back the moment Yusei came for said card) and pretending he wasn't poor as poo poo at one point.

Meanwhile, his good points include stopping, sealing and then taking the power of an evil demon for himself through sheer hot bloodedness, taking a whiny as poo poo protagonist and turning him into an acceptable protagonist (for a while...Arc-V is like that), getting the City to stop squabbling...okay, yes, most of this was done by an alternate universe version of Jack Atlas, but Jack is Jack.

Jack is the best, basically. He is the true King.

Basically all of the good points you listed happened after this game is set, and just about all we know of him at that stage are the bad points.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You said Kaiba wouldn't sink as low as Jack Atlas but you're forgetting the time when he forced Yugi to throw a duel by threatening to jump off a cliff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

You said Kaiba wouldn't sink as low as Jack Atlas but you're forgetting the time when he forced Yugi to throw a duel by threatening to jump off a cliff.

Look, he was only taking himself hostage. That's totally cool. Thorfinn does it.

And if you're going to badmouth Thorfinn Karlsefni for his methods, you best be prepared to give up what those methods got us. Little things like America.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TwoPair posted:

No no, you are misremembering, he put himself on the edge so that if Yugi attacked, the shockwaves from the attack would push him off and he would get REALLY hurt!

Same basic principle though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

iirc it was just the recoil from catching the holograph disc

Why kaiba would make it a feature where youd throw and catch a heavy disc filled with hologram tech yet remains a mystery.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The shockwave thing was 4Kids' censorship striking as per usual. In the original he very much threatened to kill himself if he didn't win that card game. It worked, thus proving that suicide threats fix everything.

Also you all seem to forget how Kaiba did a lot of really hosed up poo poo...or you don't know because it happened in the manga before it became about card games. Let's just say Kaiba doesn't exactly start as a friendly rival...or end, but that's because I don't think Kaiba even remotely knows what being friendly means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The shockwave thing was 4Kids' censorship striking as per usual. In the original he very much threatened to kill himself if he didn't win that card game. It worked, thus proving that suicide threats fix everything.

See, even though it's obvious why they did that, I kind of prefer Kaiba betting his life so Yugi would kill him if he made a move to just threatening suicide.

It feels a bit less like being a sore loser, and a bit more like playing your opponent's psychology as part of the fight. You take a gamble, and if you're wrong you die, no big deal.

Basically, it's cooler to force a dude to murder you than it is to just commit suicide because you lost a card game.

• Locked thread