Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlphaKretin posted:

This is gonna be an interesting ride.

Was that intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That's not even all of them. He left out Wretched Ghost in the Attic and the Winged Kuriboh evolutions.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I will never understand what possessed Konami's translators to rename Kuriball, a perfectly acceptable pun that doesn't gently caress up card text, into the much lamer Sphere Kuriboh.

Long story short, they had to keep 'Kuriboh' in it's name so that it would work with Kuribohrn.

The Japanese archetype name is 'クリボー / Kuribō', and Sphere Kuriboh's name is 'クリボール / Kuribōru'. If they had localized it as Kuriball, then it wouldn't have worked with Kuribohrn and any other Kuriboh archetype support.

Kuribandit, Kurivolt, and Kuriphoton, for the record, are Kuriboh-related monsters, but they're not actually members of the archetype.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 26, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

But you could also write it as Kuribohll and you keep the exact same pun, that logic doesn't work.

:shrug:

Knowing Kevin Tewart, I honestly doubt that localizing it as Kuribohll ever crossed his mind.

Sphere Kuriboh works fine though, since it's meant to be a reference to Ra - Sphere Mode anyway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, the former doesn't have "Kuri" in its name while the latter two are technically related to Winged Kuriboh than the normal one.

That said, posting for the sake of do diligence:

Wretched Ghost is that cousin that no one likes and tries not to invite to family get-togethers, but somehow finds out about it and shows up uninvited anyway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Shoeless posted:

You know, I can't tell whether you are being honest or not. What has anime done to me?

He's being honest.

And he hasn't even brought up the REALLY weird parts of 5Ds yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

Getting back to Téa though, the fact that she rarely dueled in a universe where your worth is based on your dueling abilities didn't help her popularity.

In the original series, no one but Yugi, Kaiba, and Joey got to duel much. The side characters wouldn't really get to start dueling a lot until GX.

• Locked thread