Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

timp posted:

Just finished binging this show last night. Goddamn I can't get over how good it was! I'm recommending it to everybody I know, especially if I know they watched Making a Murderer or listened to Serial.

The casting, writing, acting, and directing were all perfect. As a part time teacher I spend a fair amount of time with high schoolers, and I just really loved how three dimensional all of these characters were.

You've gotta tell us if you know any Krazes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DivisionPost posted:

I'm a music teacher, we're about 50% Krazes

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Re: Roofie discussion

I like the little pause Kraz has when he says "that dude...roofied people"

It's like you can tell there's a little voice in his head going "don't say that, don't say that, don't say that, gently caress DUDE DON'T SAY THAT" but his neurotic urge to be known as the cool teacher who isn't afraid to speak his mind overrides it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Obviously as a teacher I can't say that one of my students is unbelievably hot" or whatever slayed me

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZT81ZpbUk

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

DivisionPost posted:

I teach middle school, there's Krazes even down here.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Goddamn this show is so loving good. "Me gusta.... them tittays" had me cackling out loud, the mystery itself was just as compelling as Serial or Making a Murderer, and everything about that last episode was pure pathos.

Last episode spoilers: I liked how the guys didn't try to dig too deep into Christa's story, because at that point they had learned about the blowback Sara and MacKenzie got when their dirty laundry was made public. Reminded me of how people got way too invested into real people's lives when Serial was coming out, with some seriously negative consequences.

EDIT: also, just raving some more: I loving loved how well-defined every single high school student was, and their relationships with each other, what groups they were in, and what kids thought about other kids that they'd never met. I would absolutely love to see the series bible for this and how they planned out this insane spiderweb of connections. I mean, look at this:

It's Christa and Pat Micklethwait, that one dork kid who somehow managed to bang both Sara and her friend. This is onscreen for all of about three seconds, but they went through the effort of thinking trough who else would actually be in whatever the gently caress a strategy club is, and even dropped some more hidden backstory that these two probably hooked up at one point too. You know so much about this one kid who never once has a word of dialogue.

I can't wait to watch this again and see all the other poo poo in the background I missed.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 30, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ninjahedgehog posted:

Goddamn this show is so loving good. "Me gusta.... them tittays" had me cackling out loud, the mystery itself was just as compelling as Serial or Making a Murderer, and everything about that last episode was pure pathos.

Last episode spoilers: I liked how the guys didn't try to dig too deep into Christa's story, because at that point they had learned about the blowback Sara and MacKenzie got when their dirty laundry was made public. Reminded me of how people got way too invested into real people's lives when Serial was coming out, with some seriously negative consequences.

EDIT: also, just raving some more: I loving loved how well-defined every single high school student was, and their relationships with each other, what groups they were in, and what kids thought about other kids that they'd never met. I would absolutely love to see the series bible for this and how they planned out this insane spiderweb of connections. I mean, look at this:

It's Christa and Pat Micklethwait, that one dork kid who somehow managed to bang both Sara and her friend. This is onscreen for all of about three seconds, but they went through the effort of thinking trough who else would actually be in whatever the gently caress a strategy club is, and even dropped some more hidden backstory that these two probably hooked up at one point too. You know so much about this one kid who never once has a word of dialogue.

I can't wait to watch this again and see all the other poo poo in the background I missed.

Pat Micklewaite! :argh: I wonder if 'strategy club' was foreshadowing that Christa planned out the dick drawing. Or maybe Pat drew the dicks, and Van was just Christa's alibi. It's all connected. :tinfoil:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Rewatch: Heh, yup, Christa's cast absolutely switches legs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Rewatch: Heh, yup, Christa's cast absolutely switches legs.

That's probably the inciting incident for season 2, I'm thinking.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
There's going to be a season 2?

I was curious if they're going that route because honestly, at the last episode: I don't think that was Dylan, it looked like the guy had dark hair

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He didn't deny it after he knew it was recorded.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ringo Star Get posted:

There's going to be a season 2?

Not for sure yet but they've said they want to do one.

Like I could totally see the opening for season 2 now:

[sad piano music] My documentary American Vandal shed light on a corrupt system blah blah blah (recap), but when I went back and watched the whole thing... I saw something that changes everything. [reaction shots of people going "Whoah... really?" "Oh wow" "WHAAAAT?"]

#TheCastMoved

precision fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 1, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Nah I think season 2 would be about a whole new crime

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Wandle Cax posted:

Nah I think season 2 would be about a whole new crime

"Who gave Alex Trimboli the handjob?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ringo Star Get posted:

The big shocking reveal is Alex Trimboli gave Alex Trimboli the handjob

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

You can't do private streams on twitch :argh: none of the so-called facts in this documentary are credible any longer!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

PAT MICKLEWAITE!?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Best part was the hysterics over senior lunch and then Dylan just being flabbergasted by the whole debate

"who gives a gently caress about senior lunch? It's called skipping, just loving dip"

Totally summed up the try-hards vs stoners at my high school. God drat this show has depth

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I was in highschool nobody was ever allowed to leave campus during school hours. Goddamn millenials!

Well, I mean, except for if you were in the A/V club and told the teacher you wanted to go film something, in which case, you could leave for an entire day and nobody cared. I did that a lot with my best friend. In our defense, we DID actually film stuff (for our own non-school projects)

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Just gotta give this show some praise. Watched it over 2 nights and it was outstanding. I don't know why people wouldn't call this a comedy, I laughed out loud at least once an episode. The premise is so absurd and they nail the straight-laced tone perfectly. The twists and gut-punch of an ending felt so real. Would love to see another season of this tackle a brand new crime and resulting story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

Are we? He was dumb about Westworld and Twin Peaks but otherwise is still solid.

He barely reviews anything these days unless you listen to his podcast I guess.

And his written reviews have basically devolved in synopsises.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Bump

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also I'm shocked Dylan didnt get into Boulder since he seems smarter than most kids here

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I just got accepted to do a conference presentation on this show. So I guess I am writing a paper about American Vandal now

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny
This show is good, thank you thread for the recommendation.

Born_to_Lose
Oct 26, 2007
A bit late to the party, but yeah watched this whole thing in 3 days and loved it. I won't rehash what everyone has already said, but I do have a few tidbits and theories that haven't been mentioned:

-In the text conversation where it is revealed that my boy Pat Mickelwait hooked up with not only Sarah Pearson but also her other hot friend, the start of the convo is something along the lines of "I can't believe he's on both our lists!" "Yeah he's not quite as big as *popular guy* though"... In other words, the reason Pat is getting action is he's got a huge dick.

-In the episode where they talk to Dylan's brother, he mentions that he specifically told him not to take Spanish because the teacher would automatically hate him for being his brother, but he took it anyway. Coupled with his Dylan's explanation that he wasn't worried about the school board meeting because every other time he'd gotten in trouble he'd actually done it, so he was bound to get off this time since he was innocent, it makes a lot of sense that he'd give up like he does in the end. He really, truly thought until this happened that people were willing to judge him for who he was without any biases. Makes sense that he'd become massively depressed when he figures out how the world actually works.

-Even though we don't know what Rafferty says to Christa to set her off, I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "this is one thing you'll never be able to do because you're a woman. Come back when you grow a dick" hence the spray painting of penises on all the cars. Also reinforces the overall theme of people being forced into certain roles based on things they can't change.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Late to this but I want to say they nailed the Kraz character. He was responsible for 90% of my enjoyment of the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Do any students say anything nice about Kraz at all? Lots of students love Shapiro and Rafferty.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Someone mentioned that fans investigating Serial had negative consequences. I largely just listened to the podcast and never went down the fan theory rabbit hole, how bad did overzealous fans get?

Echoing the applause. Goddamn.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Narcissus1916 posted:

Someone mentioned that fans investigating Serial had negative consequences. I largely just listened to the podcast and never went down the fan theory rabbit hole, how bad did overzealous fans get?

Echoing the applause. Goddamn.

As I recall, they started harassing Hae Min Lee’s mother for details about her death. Hae’s brother registered a reddit account to beg people to stop contacting his family and accusing them of being involved in a cover-up.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
This webseries "Dead Kevin" on youtube might be where you guys know Kraz from.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just finished this, when they brought up Christas broken leg I was fully expecting a kaiser soze or for one of them to mention kaiser sozeing

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

What's amazing about it is just how relatable it was to my high-school experience even though I graduated 16 years ago. What a fantastic series that was, I can't wait for Season 2 (if they do it).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are kids really stupid enough to facebook live stream parties?

I mean as a freshman in college we all posted photos of use doing kegstands, but that was back when facebook was new.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The party scene reminded me of my favorite Onion video.
https://www.theonion.com/police-slog-through-40-000-insipid-party-pics-to-find-c-1819594819

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are kids really stupid enough to facebook live stream parties?

I mean as a freshman in college we all posted photos of use doing kegstands, but that was back when facebook was new.

Hm, yes, I also believe that high school kids today are far smarter than we were in college a decade ago

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3N8YT_01ng

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m split. New story helps avoid becoming stale. But I also want my loose ends wrapped up!

• Locked thread